Women and Men discussion

Trying to find a Copy?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 784 (784 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Comment here if you need some ideas about how to procure a copy of this elusive tome.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Help a bookish white boy out.

message 3: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (last edited Sep 18, 2012 09:40PM) (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments In the Colorado/Wyoming area, we have what's called Prospector. It searches all the libraries between these two states (and a few others in nearby states) and I have always found a copy of a book I need. Right now it has Women and Men. You guys should do some research into whether or not your respective regions have a similar program.

I could also check out the book, not return it and not pay back the fine, then ship it to one of you :)

But I'll need a whole lot more motivation to do that.

For now we could spam Dalkey with emails demanding they publish a copy of it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just did an Australia wide search, and there's copies at Sydney University, Adelaide University, but not my university. Balls.

message 5: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Tragedy!

Any shipping between schools? You could say it's for a class project.

message 6: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

message 7: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:25PM) (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Left mine short and sweet:

I was curious if any consideration has been given to picking up Joseph McElroy's mammoth masterpiece "Women and Men". It recently made Publisher Weekly's top ten list of 'most difficult books'. I've also heard from minor, unknown pockets of the internet that it is quite brilliant. Lately the price of any remaining copies has shot up to $100+ on abebooks and up to $150+ on amazon. Can Dalkey save the day once more with a forgotten post-modern genius?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I did one on my phone and consequently it was pretty sloppy. Something along the lines of 'I want this book, give it to me', but with more filler.

message 9: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Factoid--W&M was once published by Dalkey. That's the $150 paperback you see being sold. Dalkey's mission is to keep these books in print. No telling how this one slipped through. I'll send my note this morning.

message 11: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Well with multiple requests for the book, they'll have to give a response. Think they have a box of old copies they can dust off and sell online for a reasonable price?

message 12: by Drew (new)

Drew | 15 comments Stephen, CU Boulder seems to have two copies. Only one at Norlin though. Not sure if you noticed that yet.

message 13: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments I've contacted both Dalkey, who once published the paperback, and Dzanc, who has an ebook of W&M in the pipeline. I'm not sure who has the rights at the moment--Dzanc may only have the rights to the ebook and Dalkey perhaps still retains the rights for paper.

message 14: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Drew wrote: "Stephen, CU Boulder seems to have two copies. Only one at Norlin though. Not sure if you noticed that yet."

Thank you Drew. Luckily I own a copy of my own. Will you be joining us?

message 15: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments From Dzanc Books:

Great to hear from you Nathan. We are kindred souls in our love of McElroy. When Dzanc does a rEprint we always look to see if the print rights are available as well and if there might be a demand for a short print run. Thank you for expressing your interest. We shall revisit this today and I will personally let you know what we find and decide. I agree with you about print, too. While as a businessman and publisher I have to recognize that ebooks are here to stay, . . .[edited] Onward. All best Steve

Steven Gillis

message 16: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Ah, that's too cool. Keep us updated on their final decision.

message 17: by Drew (new)

Drew | 15 comments I might join you if I can get that copy from Norlin somehow, but I don't think community members can take out books, sadly. And I have doubts about whether I'll be able to finish it in whatever amount of time I'd have.

message 18: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Well if you'd like to read it (and have the time) I'll happily check it out for you.

message 19: by Drew (new)

Drew | 15 comments Stephen, that'd be great! I do want to read it; looks like people are waiting for a good time for it, and I'm in the middle of Don Quixote at the moment, but I could make it my next big one.

message 20: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Sounds good Drew, we can meet up sometime after you finish Quixote or before the group starts reading! You're doing the english I'm guessing? (My friend's reading the spanish right now and I get to hear about his frustrations everyday).

message 21: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 7 comments Hi everybody, I have an epub of Women and Men. If you want it, I put it here.
My best advice is to use calibre. Yup, that's the best advice I'll ever give.

message 22: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments I agree that the medium doesn't matter. But I love having all my books on beautiful display in my room. Mostly to show off. To no one really because everyone thinks I'm a weirdo social recluse for having so many books. Which is true but still. It's supposed to be like cool and erudite to have all these books. Like I'm smart. Oh wait (man comes over and whispers in my ear) Oh, okay. I'm being told that being smart actually is not attractive and that if I ever want a shot with anyone ever, it's probably for the best that I burn all my books and never mention them in conversation. I should also replace them with posters of beer and tits, especially if it's the two of them together in one photo.

message 23: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Actually, smart is sexy if the guy uses his brain to be witty. Some smart guys are too focused on his erudite topic of interest and lost the funny bone along the way. Use your brain to carry on a smart, meaningful and witty conversation, Without being obnoxious, as I like to get. But you gotta understand me.

Stephen M wrote: I'm being told that being smart actually is not attractive and that if I ever want a shot with anyone ever, it's probably for the best that I burn all my books and never mention them in conversation. I should also replace them with posters of beer and tits, especially if it's the two of them together in one photo. .."

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the links Bonnie. I can't see myself reading 1200 pages on a computer screen though, so I'll either be looking around for an e-reader or a hardback copy. I've read over the first few pages at it seems right up my alley so far. Really beautiful.

message 25: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments I privately PM'd Stephen to pass on the word that I'm willing to give an eBook to people who can't locate the book. It stinks to have reading material out of your reach. I have not received a request, so I'm guessing people are hunting for paper copies. I have a friend out of the U.S. who poo-pooed eBooks, waxing poetic about holding a paper book in your hands, blah, blah. For his birthday, I sent him a Kindle as a surprise. Boy, he's reading everything under the sun in the English language now, since English language books are hard to find where he is. Ha! That'd teach him for being idealistic. I like to destroy beliefs.

Ali wrote: "See that, E-haters? You're looking around for a hardcopy of Women and Men that costs less than $200, but there's an ebook for free, downloadable by anyone. (On a related note, the first and only tr..."

message 26: by Aloha (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:31PM) (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Sean wrote: "Thanks for the links Bonnie. I can't see myself reading 1200 pages on a computer screen though, so I'll either be looking around for an e-reader or a hardback copy. I've read over the first few pag..."

Get the eReader. That will lead to unlimited books. It's less than the price of the $200 book.

message 27: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Aloha wrote: "Actually, smart is sexy if the guy uses his brain to be witty. Some smart guys are too focused on his erudite topic of interest and lost the funny bone along the way. Use your brain to carry on a..."

You're in the minority there Aloha, but thanks for the message. Self-deprecating humor is all I've got these days.

I also passed along the word of your kind offer to a lot of people and it seems like the anti-ebook stigma remains. I understand, but then again I don't have an ereader so I'm probably unaware of its potential delights.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:33PM) (new)

I'm almost tempted to buy one of the signed copies after rationalising that it's roughly the same price as a video game and I'm bound to buy another one of those at some time in the future. Egh.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

For the record, I would totally read it on an e-reader if it came to that, but I don't want to buy one just for this.

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Then there must not be that many smart gals out there. I find smart and funny guys sexier than the average Joe who only focuses on sports and working out.

Stephen M wrote: "You're in the minority there Aloha, but thanks for the message. Self-deprecating humor is all I've got these days...."

message 31: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Wow, you have access to a signed copy? That sounds like a pretty great opportunity. You never know man. We could be sowing the seeds for a newly herald "classic". And we can be "those guys" that read Women and Men way before everyone and their mom read it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

$128 including shipping to Australia... Not sure.

message 33: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Aloha wrote: "Then there must not be that many smart gals out there. I find smart and funny guys sexier than the average Joe who only focuses on sports and working out."

No you're right Aloha. It's just when a person is stuck in a certain kind of rut—a life-long one that is—it's easier to make it seem like everyone else is the problem and not himself.

message 34: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Sean wrote: "$128 including shipping to Australia... Not sure."

Yeah, that's steep. I'm not sure if I'd fork over that much.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

It is signed though. One of only ninety-nine that were leather bound and signed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joseph-McElro...

message 36: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments You're only 20, how life long is that? You're starting to discover yourself. The gals will come around. You'll see. And remember, use your wit in a nice way. Guys who are too serious are so unattractive. To me, anyway. Boy, I'm so bossy....

Stephen M wrote: "No you're right Aloha. It's just when a person is stuck in a certain kind of rut—a life-long one that is—it's easier to make it seem like everyone else is the problem and not himself.."

message 37: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Sean wrote: "It is signed though. One of only ninety-nine that were leather bound and signed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joseph-McElro......"

That is pretty great. Do you have the money for it?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephen M wrote: "That is pretty great. Do you have the money for it?"

I do, but my mid-semester break leisure savings will take a bit of a denting.

message 39: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments Well it's up to you. You could wait a bit to see what happens (if anything at all) with the two publishers we've solicited. Or you could own one of the coolest things your side of the international date line.

message 40: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Sean wrote: "It is signed though. One of only ninety-nine that were leather bound and signed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joseph-McElro......"

For collector prices that seems to be the going rate. It's cheaper than the paperbacks. I'd be nervous about reading it though. For comparison, here's the abebook listing:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Ack. I want. Gimme.

It would be nice if McElroy had the foresight to leave a few unsigned just so poor future undergrads like myself could have bought them for cheaper.

message 42: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 7 comments Sean wrote: "Thanks for the links Bonnie. I can't see myself reading 1200 pages on a computer screen though, so I'll either be looking around for an e-reader or a hardback copy. I've read over the first few pag..."

Hey Sean. No problem. I just do not get why people are so reluctant to use an ereader. It's not like you have to stop reading regular books and only read ebooks. I read books, ebooks. I read on the computer. I read shampoo bottles in the shower (a genre that is largely overlooked). I love my ereader and I love my books. Both are addicting.

message 43: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie | 7 comments Nick wrote: "B0nnie wrote: "I just do not get why people are so reluctant to use an ereader."

For me, it isn't a reluctance to use one, but more that I just can't. I've tried before but I found myself becoming..."

Tsk, that's too bad Nick. There are so many advantages. Like, just imagine yourself reading in bed - lying on your side! - holding a 1200 page book comfortably in one hand.

message 44: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments If it's of any use to anyone--there is a copy floating around Indianapolis, IN, I've been informed, somewhere in a library. And for those still searching for a library copy, take a look in Worldcat: http://www.worldcat.org/

And, B0nnie, thanks for the assist!

I will eventually break down and purchase some kind of electronical reading device. But first I'll have to assure myself that their limitations won't limit me.

message 45: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (last edited Sep 20, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments From Dzanc Books, the following:

Nathan,
Great to see there are people in groups reading authors like McElroy out there! Here's where we are currently with McElroy-some of which as you note below:

Cannonball--we'll be publishing Joseph's newest novel in June in both print and eBook form
Ancient History--we'll be republishing this 1971 novel in June for the first time in paperback, as well as eBook form
Lookout Cartridge--we will be adding Lookout Cartridge to our rEprint series as well as considering limited print runs of a paperback version as well.

Preparations for Search -- this is now available as an eBook with an introduction by Mike Heppner
Plus -- is currently being converted to eBook form
Women and Men -- is currently being converted to eBook form
Hind's Kidnap -- is in an earlier stage of being converted to eBook form
The Letter Left to Me -- is also in an earlier stage of being converted to eBook form

One question if I may--approximately how many are in your group looking for print copies of Women and Men. As Steve noted in his reply, he and I both tend to read nearly everything that we do in print form and going back to consider doing something like what we're doing with Lookout Cartridge--limited print runs--with Joseph's other works that we have the eBook rights to is something we'd certainly consider.

I'd also be happy to share with you details of other current Dzanc titles in print, as well as those we have forthcoming--including two new titles from Robert Coover in the next two years.

Sincerely,
Dan Wickett
Dzanc Books

Please pm me ("N.R.") or make a note in this thread if you are interested in purchasing a print copy of Women & Men if it becomes available in the coming months, most likely next June. I would like to provide Mr Wickett with number in a few day's time.

message 46: by Drew (new)

Drew | 15 comments Nathan, I'd get one; I have a feeling getting it from a library and reading it once may not be enough.

message 47: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Drew wrote: "Nathan, I'd get one; I have a feeling getting it from a library and reading it once may not be enough."

Check. I can't imagine reading this as a library loan without eternal check-out privileges.

message 48: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 497 comments Count me in for wanting a hardback that's not $200. I like to collect hardbacks of exceptional books.

message 49: by Nathan "N.R.", James Mayn (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 662 comments Aloha wrote: "Count me in for wanting a hardback that's not $200. I like to collect hardbacks of exceptional books."

Very unlikely they'll print it hd. They will forever and anon be $200+, just like the Gravity's Rainbow hd which is $1000+ I believe. But I'm with you on that one. I'm still willing -- and hopefully soon -- to pick up his hd back catalog at $$$.

message 50: by Stephen M, Tome Terminator (new)

Stephen M | 81 comments You know, I had completely forgotten about my particle replicator. I'll just fire that old baby up and ship out copies of my hardback to everyone.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16