Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in November 2011?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know what you're reading this month!

message 2: by Jon (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm being pulled in many directions this month. I dropped everything Sunday to start reading Initiate's Trial by Janny Wurts, putting both Rainbows End and Wasteland of Flint on hold. I also couldn't help myself and checked out Eisenhower 1956 from the library this morning based on my uncle's recent review. I do plan to read both the Beyond Reality selections this month: City of Bones by Martha Wells and Ringworld by Larry Niven. And I'll continue in the Honor Harrington space opera series with the ebook edition of Field of Dishonor.

I probably won't get much sleep this month (or much work done) with all this reading scheduled. If only I could read while driving (since I'm heading south to north Texas to visit my children for Thanksgiving).

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I'm finishing up Hammer of Godand have City of Bones ready to go

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (_shannon) Reading Wizard and Glass by Stephen King.

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'm still working on Feed for this group for last month, as I just started it a couple of days ago. I am also listening to the audio of Embassytown.

Up next:

City of Bones by Martha Wells Lavender-Green Magic  by Andre Norton Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman Lambs of God by Marele Day

All are for groups. The Andre Norton is a re-read of a childhood fave for the shelf of the month ("Childhood") in the Pick-a-Shelf group.

message 6: by Viv (new)

Viv JM This month I will mostly be continuing with various trilogies and series I have started. Just finished Feedand going to start straight away on Deadline, which I picked up from the library this afternoon (yippee!). Also hope to continue the NK Jemisin Inheritence trilogy with The Kingdom of Gods and the next book in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, Cursor's Fury.

And also joining in with group read of City of Bones

message 7: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Jon wrote: "If only I could read while driving ..."

Audiobooks to the rescue!

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Candiss wrote: "Jon wrote: "If only I could read while driving ..."

Audiobooks to the rescue!"

Hard to come by inexpensively and sometimes they are not available for the titles I'm reading. Basically, if the KC Public Library system doesn't have the audiobook, I don't even try. And, my husband doesn't like to listen to my selections on the eight hour drive. So, we listen to classic rock or just sit silently while I drive. :)

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments My lineup is to finish The Last Unicorn, Return of The Crimson Guard and The Player of Games, and to read Neuromancer and Ringworld before i get going on Toll the Hounds.

I am thinking this is not humanly possible, but I am going to try.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments I've got a pretty busy month. I'm about a quarter of the way through a re-read of Perdido Street Station. Book club reads I'm definitely going for are:
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman & Darwin's Dangerous Idea Evolution and the Meanings of Life by Daniel C. Dennett
and I've just got Europe's Tragedy A New History of the Thirty Years War by Peter H. Wilson & The Kingdom of Gods (The Inheritance Trilogy, #3) by N.K. Jemisin
from the library. I wouldn't mind re-reading Oryx and Crake

And of course it's NaNoWriMo month...

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments I am still reading The Winter King (The Arthur Books, #1) by Bernard Cornwell

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments Yay, I'm finally (after starting it in January!) almost finished Peril's Gate, with only one chapter set to go.

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so plan to take my Kindle and some "lighter" reading (probably a Nora Roberts weekend with New York to Dallas and The Next Always).

But I don't think I can stay away from Arithon and Athera for long, so I hope to start Traitor's Knot some time next week. I hope it won't take me 10.5 months like Peril's Gate did!

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments finished up Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I liked the book didn't like the ending all that much.

Starting in on this the months SF book
Ringworld

message 14: by Richard (last edited Nov 01, 2011 06:11PM) (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Just finished Feed tonight, so will be picking up Embassytown by China Miéville tomorrow if I get five minutes to myself. Also got Honor 4 Field of Dishonor lined up and ready to go, and if a miracle happens and I manage to finish those I've just received All Clear by Connie Willis, and of course I've always got Janny's Warhost of Vastmark mocking me from my bag for being so slow.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Just realised I've finally got an opportunity to join a group read of Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood so am going to have to shuffle the reading order a little.

message 16: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2121 comments Mod
still working on Little, Big, but I'm almost done!

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Shel wrote: "still working on Little, Big, but I'm almost done!"

Good job, on a book I would never have finished and enjoyed as much if it was not for class.

message 18: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I haven't been reporting what I read here as frequently as I should, so by way of catching up, here's what I read in October:

Context by Cory Doctorow
The Sacred Band by David Anthony Durham
Necropolis by Michael Dempsey
Stormed Fortress by Janny Wurts
The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow by Cory Doctorow
Seed by Rob Ziegler
Scholar by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

I'm going to do my best and be more active in the group again!

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 32 comments No time to read any good fantasy right now...I have a for-school reading list...be back in 2 months!

message 20: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I did it! I finished Peril's Gate! Go me!

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3088 comments Mod
I'm also having trouble finding reading time, so I'm still working on my FirstReads win, All Men of Genius by Lev A.C. Rosen .

After that I'll probably read our next Honor Harringon book, Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) by David Weber . That's about as far as I can plan for now.

Not reading either of our 2 BOTMs this time.

message 22: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments Driving all day long today, listening to Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Audiobooks to the rescue indeed! Now I've got a new series in line 8-)

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen I haven't read all week as Ofsted came to school and I was there 12 hours a day, then more work at home. SO I still need to finish Fortress of Dragons, then Assassin's Quest. I also need to read a spy book for a group. Looking forward to Tigana,City of Bones and want to read Fortress of Ice

message 24: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I just finished Send My Love and a Molotov Cocktail!: Stories of Crime, Love and Rebellion, a great collection of stories (some SF, some "regular" fiction) themed around revolutions, uprisings, that sort of thing. Some amazing stories in there.

Next up I am FINALLY going to get to the ARC of The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson that's been sitting on my shelf for months now.

message 25: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I FINALLY finished Little, Big and oh, what an absolutely gorgeous book. I needed a complete change of pace after that so I'm reading Graveminder for another book club - sort of horror/urban fantasy that so far is quite engaging.

message 26: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished Field of Dishonor for this month's series read and now am starting Blood Games. I'm not a fan of vampires and horror, but I thought I'd give it a go. I know it's part of a longer series, but from what I've been able to figure out, since this is one of the early books both chronologically and in order of publication, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I am starting both White Devils by Paul J. McAuley and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Both are tales of journalists being sent in to find missing mad scientists in the deep jungle, one in the Congo, the other in Amazonia. The McAuley is hard sf (supposedly) and the Patchett is mainstream lit. We'll see how they compare.

message 28: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished Graveminder and it didn't wow me - it was a quick read and engaging enough that it did make me want to know what happened next, but there were a lot of flaws (including a really annoying protagonist) that made me ultimately give it only 2 stars.

Now I'm torn between not wanting to jump into another tough read so soon after finishing Little, Big and the desire to plunge back into Athera...guess we'll see how I'm feeling when I sit down to read tonight!

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I am going to start either The Alloy of Law or Inheritance today.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I read City of Bones and really liked it. Tried Ringworld but gave up shortly as it was not my thing at all. Finished Wasteland of Flint and am reading #2 - House of Reeds. Am almost finished. Also started an audio version of The Lord of the Rings, which I have never read. Am finding it delightful so far. The narrator is very good.

message 31: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) | 67 comments Sort of stalled out with reading this month--very busy with a writing deadline, consulting stuff...paying the bills! But I'm loving:
Lunar Park and
Maverick
in particular.

message 32: by Bookbrow (last edited Nov 13, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments Continuing the theme...I too am having trouble finding the time to read, perhaps its the non genre books I have been reading of late, or perhaps it is the busy social season, or all consuming home renos, I hope to finish the Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon this month?
We shall see.

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Reading Inhertiance right now.

message 34: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I felt like taking a break from fantasy and reading some SF, so I picked up The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, which my husband has been bugging me to read for quite some time. Haven't gotten very far into it, but so far it's amusing.

message 35: by Bookbrow (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments Shel wrote: "I felt like taking a break from fantasy and reading some SF, so I picked up The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, which my husband has been bugging me to read for quite..."

A very very interesting book...

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments So far this month I've finished The Last Unicorn and Exile. I'm currently reading Ringworld, Northanger Abbey on Kindle, and I'm listening to Anansi Boys. I have a lot of other books I'm hoping to get to this month.

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments couldn't get through Ringworld.

Started on Son of Heaven

message 38: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The first book in a few months I'm reading just for fun, not for a review or some sort of assignment, is For The Win by Cory Doctorow. I'm really enjoying it so far, although it's probably the most preachy book I've read by him so far. It's also made me want to play MMORPG's, which I really don't have time for at all right now.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read several things this month.
-Skin By Ted Dekker in two days. It was epic!
- Red by Ted Dekker.
and I am reading...
- The Final Hour by Andrew Klavan. It is an awesome book so far. I am over halfway done.

message 40: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished Blood Games by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and was underwhelmed. Lowest score I've given a book in a long time, and I'm a very easy scorer in general.

Now starting the Dalemark books by Dianna Wynne Jones.

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (_shannon) Just starting Blackbringer by Laini Taylor.

message 42: by Kadi (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:19PM) (new)

Kadi (BabyImp) | 3 comments I'm going to read Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and Janet Evanovich's Explosive Eighteen. Those are must-be for me. I think I'm going to read more than those books though, as I have a book addiction. I plan on re-reading all of Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series and I'm already to Bloodfever (waiting for good books to magically appear). Right now can't decide between Kalayna Price's Once Bitten or Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

message 43: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm hoping to finish up The Dark Tower, Nocturnes and The Regulators.

I'd like to read City of Bones and The Night Circus this month as well but we'll see.

message 44: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 805 comments I just finished Carnelians, which has prompted me to do a reread of the entire series. Its been too many years since I read some of them that I found I was missing some important details. 14 book marathon here I come. :D

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Ken wrote: "couldn't get through Ringworld.

Started on Son of Heaven"

I had to really push to get through Ringworld. I'm not sure it ended up being worth my time. I'm now reading Elantris.

message 46: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I'm reading Planesrunner, the forthcoming YA novel by Ian McDonald. So far, it's as excellent as I've come expect from this author.

message 47: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished up Son of Heaven. Not bad, not great either. The book sets up the world we see in the original series. I enjoyed it.

Started on some Non Fiction
Berlin 1961
Its about the creation of the Berlin Wall told during the year of 1961.

message 48: by Candiss (last edited Nov 20, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'm back to reading Embassytown. I started it, put it aside for other books, started again with the audio version, had to "turn it back in" to the library, and am now back to the print format. I like both audio and print, but I think I'll stick with the print for now, as I'm actually having luck moving along with it this time.

I'm also reading Lambs of God when my mood doesn't jive with alien linguistics.

I really need to step up my reading pace, as I'd like to finish these two PLUS Oryx and Crake by December 1. Right. My teenage "read a billion pages a day" self is laughing at me from the 80s.

message 49: by M (last edited Nov 20, 2011 04:50PM) (new)

M | 1 comments Hi, first posting. Reading the classics, The Call of Cthulhu, At the mountains of madness, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Colour out of Space. Will read the Dunwich Horror and then i will be done w/ Lovecraft. I really love the pantheon of alien gods he created, but i really hate most of the human protagonist in his stories, and honestly, his racial attitudes are really turning me off. I was actually rooting for the Shoggoths.

After that I'm reading Feed and Good Omens

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I'm working my way through my first reading of The Lord of the Rings. Just finished The Two Towers and am hoping The Return of the King picks it up a little. Actually, I'm listening to them.

Also just finished a mystery set in New Orleans in the early 1800's by Hambly. Good.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.