Start by marking “Tigana” as Want to Read:
Tigana

Tigana

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  39,041 ratings  ·  2,369 reviews
A masterful epic of magic, politics, war, and the power of love and hate—from the renowned author of The Fionavar Tapestry and Children of Earth and Sky.

Tigana is the magical story of a beleaguered land struggling to be free. It is the tale of a people so cursed by the black sorcery of a cruel despotic king that even the name of their once-beautiful homeland cannot be
Published December 1st 1999 by Roc (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Tigana, please sign up.
Rodzilla I'm a little confused here. Brandon Sanderson is a strong writer who doesn't use swear words and doesn't have sex in his books. Yet I read the…moreI'm a little confused here. Brandon Sanderson is a strong writer who doesn't use swear words and doesn't have sex in his books. Yet I read the Mistborn series (which I enjoyed, BTW), and found blood dripping from the ceilings, vivisection, torture, and something along the lines of violent murder of the entire population of the world. They are probably the most violent books I have ever read. So I am unclear about what you mean by "clean," since you specified no graphic violence. Vivisection isn't graphic violence?

And so i wonder about our standards as a culcture. Theoretically at least, sexuality is part of the normal human experience. Is vivisection? And is the mild sexuality or occasional swear word worse than what I read in the Mistborn series? Is there something I'm missing here?(less)

·  39,041 ratings  ·  2,369 reviews

Start your review of Tigana
Petrik
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

I have this belief that 90% of the time, standalone high fantasy just won’t satisfy me. I still stand by it, but Tigana luckily is not one of those cases.

Memories and names, something that breathes life into the people and possessions we lost. Both of these can be summed up as the fabric of identity. Despite all the war, deaths, sex, hardships, betrayal, magic, deception, subterfuge, the main essence of Tigana is reclaiming your freedom, home, memories and the implication of holding
Pietro
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hated this book, but I'm an oddity; in fact, virtually every other human being seems to love it unconditionally. So if you stumble upon it, give it a try, chances are you'll find it awesome.

So.. what didn't I like about it?
Well, pretty much everything.
This book, in short, tells about the vengeful crusade of a group of refugees from the once-great city of Tigana, destroyed years before by the mage Brandin.
Cool, uh?
Nope.
For starters, nobody cares about the destruction of Tigana.
In fact, the
Catie
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book over the past month, I thought a lot about the differences between youth and adulthood, between young beliefs and mature ones. And I think that maybe our youth is the only time that we can hold simple, firm convictions. Maybe it’s the only time that it’s possible to believe completely that love will conquer all, or that there are good guys and bad guys, or that if we try hard enough, we can achieve anything we dream about. In our youth, we can say things like, “I would ...more
Markus
Springtime morning in Avalle
I don’t care that the priests say:
I’m going down to the river today
On a springtime morning in Avalle.

When I’m all grown up, come what may
I’ll build a boat to carry me away
And the river will take it to Tigana Bay
And the sea even further away from Avalle

But wherever I wander, by night or by day
Where water runs swiftly or high trees sway,
My heart will carry me back and away
To a dream of the towers of Avalle

Twenty years ago, the nine quarrelling city-states of the
mark monday
oh Tigana! 20 years ago, the warring lands of the peninsula known as The Palm were invaded and conquered by two opposing Tyrants, and split into two. during this time of war and magic, one land was punished, transformed, forgotten.

20 years later, a band of men and women fight to reclaim that land, its history, their memories. oh Tigana!

SPOILERS FOLLOW

memories of a distant life can be a strange and beautiful and sorrowful thing. i can remember places, scenes, people in the land where i was born,
Mayim de Vries
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a state that ceased to exist. It has been swallowed on the map by hungry neighbours, swept away by winds of history and not even an empty space remains to bear witness to what once was. Things like that have happened before. Take Poland, partitioned by her three neighbours and for 123 years disappearing from the face of the world.

description

But where the state had vanished, the people survived. And so the people of Poland cultivated their language, their arts, their traditions, their culture.
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The greatest strength of Tigana -- Guy Gavriel Kay's masterpiece -- is the "ambiguity" of his characters' ethics. Fantasy, as a genre, suffers from the widespread simplicity of its expressions of good and evil. Kay consistently transcends this genre weakness, and Tigana marks his first and greatest break with the good vs. evil tradition. Tigana is full of characters who struggle with their decisions and the impact those decisions have on others.

Alessan, the "hero" of the piece, enslaves a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have been listening to this from the library for a few days! SIMON VANCE! I love him as a narrator! Next I need to get that beautiful anniversary edition to actually read, in my hands! I can never say much when I listen to books the first time around Actually, sometimes I don’t say anything just because!

Anyhoo, Happy Reading!!

Mel
Choko
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.66 ***

A Buddy Read with the Fantasy Buddy Reads Group, because we wanted a stand-alone for a change...

How do I even start on writing a review for this book? I think, just as most everyone else has done, I have to begin with the style of writing. It is a throwback to a time long past, it carries a lyrical magic which simmers in every sentence, and without being in itself overly flowery, it conveyed a sense of Gothic melodrama, which made me feel as if a bard of old was telling the story of
Tamara
This is a review with pictures in it. I see people doing this, and I want to as well. I can haz cats also, yes?

Yes, I am jealous. I want to be one of the cool kids.

Anyway, this ye old secondary world fantasy, with maps and kingdoms princes and things and everything.

I want to go on a quest too!

No, not like that, silly. It is Deep and Melancholy and Meaningful. Like this:
Swoon with Horse

Do you SEE? It is FUZZY and PASTEL COLORED and there is BOOBS. That means it is PROFOUND.

Women in this book are not marginalized onto these pedestals replete with bizzaro stupid sexualization for no
Celeste
Full review now posted!
Original review can be found at Booknest.

The best books in any genre are the ones that move you. And I just found a new one in my very favorite genre.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that I’ve read hundreds of fantasy books in my lifetime. I’ve taken so many adventures through extravagantly strange worlds with casts of immensely varied characters on a multitude of nigh impossible
Mimi
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What more can be said other than everyone should read this book. At least once. Get a feel for the beauty of language and images in motion. You won't be disappointed. Guy Gavriel Kay is a great prose writer. It doesn't even matter if fantasy isn't your thing because this book does not read like fantasy. It reads like the sort of well-written historical fiction that weaves in myths to tell the tales of a lost time. A personal favorite combination, I must admit. Also, I'm coming off of a dramatic ...more
Ivan
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
It's been long time since I read standalone fantasy book.

So far I mostly avoided Kay for no particular reason and I came into possession of this book almost by accident. What a happy accident it was as this turned out to be wonderful and pretty unique book.

I already encountered combination of heroic fantasy characters in grimdark setting from another Canadian author, Steven Erikson, but Kay does it with his own unique flavor.

World building in this book is just wonderful.Without too detailed
Wanda
Those of you who read my reviews regularly know that Guy Gavriel Kay can do no wrong in my eyes. I adore his novels and this one is no exception. The bonus this time? I met Mr. Kay at a convention last August and I can now hear his voice in my head, reading the novel to me (he has a very nice voice).

Tigana is a kingdom under a curse: the people were conquered and the name of their country can no longer be heard or remembered (except by those who lived through the conquest). When a former citizen
Eilonwy

The Peninsula of the Palm is a place divided -- but not against itself. Its nine provinces are occupied territory, under the power of foreign wizards. Brandin of Ygrath holds the east, while Alberico of Barbadior holds the west. Each state has been allowed to maintain its identity -- except for one, cursed to oblivion.

But a few people remember. They are determined to get their home back; and to free the entire Palm in the process.
Before I can say anything else, I have to gush about the writing
Manuel Antão
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Adumbration Galore: “Tigana” by Guy Gavriel Kay

“The land is never truly dead. It can always come back. Or what is the meaning of the cycle of seasons and years?" She wiped her tears away and looked at him. His expression in the darkness was much too sad for a moment such as this. She wished she knew a way to dispel that sorrow, and not only for tonight. He said, "That is mostly true, I suppose. Or true for the largest things. Smaller
Anthony
A masterpiece teeming with richness, complexity, beauty, sorrow, courage, love, heartbreak, poetry, brutality, and transcendence. One of the finest books I’ve ever read.
Chris Berko
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing to say other than this is some top-notch quality entertainment right here. Story, characters, setting, dialogue, emotion... this does all that shit and it does it all very well. I read Lions of Al-Rassan years ago, loved it. This has been sitting on my Kindle since then, I bought it as soon as I finished that one, and now I'm pissed off at me for not reading this sooner. Tigana was so rich and juicy in just about every way I love books to be I can now see why this is one of Kay's more ...more
David Sven
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
Reading Tigana was like sipping liquid chocolate. Exquisite! I found myself many times deeply and profoundly moved. Kay was able to communicate the profound sense of loss felt by a dispossessed people and without the aid of music or even lyrics bring the music within the book alive to touch the imagination. I felt the mournful tones of the pipes, and the heart wrenching voice of Devin as he sings.

Kay makes us imagine what it would be like if the memory of your home is removed not only from your
Hasham Rasool
'Tigana' is the first book I have read by Guy Gavriel Kay.

I have heard of 'Tigana' book from Brandon Sanderson. He recommends lists of books to his fans to read. 'Tigana' is one of lists he has recommended.

I love this book so much Alhamdulillah. I am surprise that Guy Gavriel Kay's books aren't well recognized and I really love his writing style too. Alhamdulillah.

There is a few authors who I love their writing style:
Bram Stoker
J.R.R. Tolkien
James Clavell
Guy Gavriel Kay
Robert Jordan
Brandon
Kaitlin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book a 4* rating despite not being sure until the very last chapter about if it would be a 3*s or 3.5*s or 4*s. I was pretty sure by the time I finished up the book that it was a solid 3*s but I then read the author's afterword and he states all of his influences and what he wanted to achieve with the book and I decided that this had to be a 4* book because I totally understood where he was coming from and it really resonated true with me.

This book certainly feels a lot more
Siria
I really liked the ideas behind this story—the power of names in the face of colonialism, in the face of enforced forgetfulness—but there was just too much in the writing that worked against my enjoyment of it. Kay's style has improved from what it was in the Fionavar series, but it's still clunky and laboured (and desperately in need of some commas), while the world-building is pedestrian and two-dimensional. Many of the better-drawn characters are unengaging, and most of the cast are such ...more
Chris
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, and Mario Puzo. With a little Tolkien thrown in.
I really can't decide whether to rate this a 4 or 5 star, but I'll go with 5. There is more that I like about this book than dislike.

Overall, I love the story. It is quite the epic, and it seems a waste of great worldbuilding to contain it to one volume. On the other hand, it is good to see such a marvelous work that stands on its own, without a dozen sequels, prequels, and hard to find novellas. In fantasy, that is a rare treat.

Still, this is a world I'd like to visit again someday. The story
Anirudh
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anirudh by: Manju
Shelves: fantasy
Before reading Tigana, it was inconceivable for me to picture a stand alone fantasy book without any intention or hope of a series. I often wondered how it would be possible to create a whole new world in just one book and give it a satisfactory ending. When I read this book, I finally understood.

Tigana is not a book. It is a journey. A journey through the lives of men and their emotions. A journey of wonder, a journey of pain and a journey of understanding. Rarely do you come across a book as
Olivia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm torn somewhere between three and four stars.

I can hear a gasp among fantasy fans, since Tigana is more or less considered to be the best standalone novel by one of the best fantasy authors of all times.

Let me talk about the good first, and of course that means I start with the writing. Kay's prose is wonderful. It makes you feel like you're sitting around a fire listening to a bard. It's poetic, lyrical, magnificent. I love the way he weaves words into sentences, and the writing alone will
Jaya
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All those who like a good story
3.85-this-book-is-epic-believe-all-the-hype-stars
Tigana is a book that will put you through all the emotions that exist. I am seriously exhausted (in a good way). Reading this book was a great experience. Some of the best characters that I have read in a long time. The story build-up is awesome, to epic proportions. By the time the book reached its climax I was all clammy-palmed-stuttering-heart-hanging-from-the-edge-of-my-seat no,fingernails not bitten to stubbs at all.
BUT

Something fell a
Kelly
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy, lovers of myth. This rises above the fantasy genre, without question.
It says that I read this back in January 2000. It would be more accurate to say that I've read this book since January 2000. I've read this book no less than ten times. I own the 10th Anniversary Edition as well now, because I expect my first one to fall apart very soon. It's lost at least one cover being passed around among all my friends throughout high school.

One day I will write a real review of this! Just can't put my thoughts together yet.
Allison
I first heard about Guy Gavriel Kay shortly after joining Goodreads, and have just finally managed to get around to reading my first book. It won't be the last!

Tigana was a wonderful reading experience. Complex, nuanced characters captured my heart and I hoped against hope that everyone could somehow be saved in the end. It was beautiful and tragic, full of loss, hope and redemption. I wanted to spend more time in the aftermath and follow them all home. It finished too soon.
Scott  Hitchcock
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Good book, terrific finish.

This is my second book by the author and has me wondering if I should reread The Lions of Al-Rassan. Often in life somebody's best trait is also their worst when they take it to the extreme. Kay is this way with his verbose depictions of his worlds. Often their brilliant and then I want to eventually strangle him for not moving on. At some point you have to trust the reader gets it.

The story in this was compelling and the world robust but what really made it was that
Mike
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
This story is, at its essence, about how the past influences the present. The protagonists are driven to reclaim their homeland not just from a conquering army, but from a magical spell that prevents others from remembering or even hearing their homeland's name, Tigana. Within a generation any knowledge of their land, its history and culture will be forever lost.

Instead of a fast paced, sword and sorcery story, Tigana is rather reflective. There are several POV characters that spend a good deal

• The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Samantha's Revenge (Arcadia's Children #1)
  • The Golden Key
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
Guy Gavriel Kay is a Canadian author of fantasy fiction. Many of his novels are set in fictional realms that resemble real places during real historical periods, such as Constantinople during the reign of Justinian I or Spain during the time of El Cid. Those works are published and marketed as historical fantasy, though the author himself has expressed a preference to shy away from genre ...more
“There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk.” 2100 likes
“In this world, where we find ourselves, we need compassion more than anything, I think, or we are all alone.” 144 likes