Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > **Autumn Reading Challenge**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 510 (510 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 12, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Mandapanda Take a journey down a road of different stories. Welcome to our 'Autumn Reading Challenge'

Photobucket

To join the challenge you should choose at least five books from the challenge categories. But it would be nice if you could aim for one book from each category (10 books). Post your selections in the Autumn challenge thread. Runs from 1st March till 31st May.

1) The Colours of Autumn: Choose a book that has the words, red, gold, brown, orange or yellow in the title or a book whose cover is primarily an Autumn colour. (Clue - Go to the Goodreads 'Listopia' lists and search 'red cover' for example and you'll find a list with 100's of books with red covers. Same with the other colours)

2) International Women‘s Day: Read a book about a strong female character either fiction or non-fiction. Here are some ideas.

3) Saint Patrick‘s Day: Celebrate with the Irish - Read a book written by an Irish author or set in Ireland or has an Irish character. (Other sources - Scifi & Fantasy set in Ireland & GR Irish lists)

4) Australian Labour Day: Choose a book whose lead characters are from the working class. Construction workers, office workers, health workers, policemen or teachers. As long as they are working for 'the man' and aren't rich or upper-class! Make sure you mention their occupation in the discussion thread.

5) Celebrate Dr Seuss‘ birthday on March 2nd! “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.” Read a children’s book. If you don’t want to read for yourself, snuggle up to a child you know and read it to them!

It’s Clean Up Australia Day on 6th March. Do your bit for the environment and…
6) REDUCE - Read a book from your TBR shelf
7) RE-USE - Re-read an old favourite
8) RECYCLE - Read any book from the library

9) The Ides of March - In modern times, the term Ides of March is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was stabbed to death by Brutus and 60 other co-conspirators. This meeting is famously dramatized in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, when Caesar is warned to "beware the Ides of March": Read a novel with a murder or assassination in the plot.

10) The days are getting shorter - Read a short story, essay or anthology (Tip: Go to your favourite Author’s page - you’ll often find free short stories/excerpts and snippets that would fit into this category)

**The photo above is of beautiful Mt Macedon, Victoria.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great challenge as always Mandy. I am yet to compiling a list but can see some good ones that will come straight from my TBR.

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Feb 12, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) Heh, going to have to think about this one (though strong female character makes it easy, since that's one of the primary requirements for most of my SFF reading).

Since I'm currently re-reading my entire Ngaio Marsh collection, I can safely meet the Clean Up Australia portion of the challenge.

Alternately, my surname means "Autumn", so I can count the edits I'm doing on my current piece as Challenge Done! :D

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) Hmm, I said I wasn't going to join too many challenges this year, but this one looks like fun!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Yaaay~! This is a great challenge...I'm probably not going to make it through 10 books but certainly will aim for 6 to 8. And one of the books I am reading in the Aussie challenge crosses over to this one so I can kill two birds with one stone :D!

Will start making a list up of what to read and considering pretty much all of my books will come from my TBR list this is a wonderful challenge ^__^

message 6: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments Sounds like a magnificent challenge. I'll make a list of books in a moment or so, but I don't know how many I'll be able t get though.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 12, 2011 04:15PM) (new)

I'm in for 8 categories!!

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I'll have to think on a few, especially #9, but I'm def. in!

message 9: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments I will aim for all 10 once again, see how I go??

message 10: by Aimie (new)

Aimie (aim4theneck) | 14 comments Great challenge.. I wasn't going to do any challenge's for a couple of months, just so i could focus on the many books i have waiting to be read. But i might be able to make a list out of them to fit so... What the heck?! I'm in!

message 11: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 23 comments I've never done a challenge, but it looks like fun. I think I will try.

message 12: by Marc (last edited Feb 12, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

Marc (marcsamuelsmith) i'm going to try for 8 in total, skipping numbers 7 and 8 (not that i don't believe in green living, just out of a practical concern that i own way too many unread books to get through), and test my limits through massive ambition. but i'm probably going to start reading before march 1 so i hope cheating is allowed.

1. "the golden bough" - james frazer
2. "the second sex" - simone de beauvoir
3. "ulysses" - james joyce
4. "bobbin up" - dorothy hewitt (this novel concerns a group of australian women characters who work in a sydney wool mill.)
5. "alice's adventures in wonderland" and "through the looking glass" - lewis carroll (both in the same volume.)
6. "doctor zhivago" - boris pasternak (from my to-be-read shelf, which is represented by an actual corporeal shelf rather than a virtual goodreads one.)
9. "farewell my lovely" and "the long goodbye" - raymond chandler (both in the same volume with "the big sleep" which i've already read.)
10. "first love and other shorts" - samuel beckett

message 13: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda marc wrote: "i'm going to try for 8 in total, skipping numbers 7 and 8 (not that i don't believe in green living, just out of a practical concern that i own way too many unread books to get through), and test m..."

Looks great Marc. Good Luck!!

message 14: by Andrea (last edited Feb 12, 2011 06:31PM) (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) Are you going to read the entirety of "The Golden Bough"? I read the 'summary' edition and that still look me a very long time (though I thoroughly recommend it as a look at myth, legend and religion).

message 15: by Marc (new)

Marc (marcsamuelsmith) Andrea wrote: "Are you going to read the entirety of "The Golden Bough"? I read the 'summary' edition and that still look me a very long time (though I thoroughly recommend it as a look at myth, legend and relig..."

i have the unabridged one. i've heard that it is worthwhile, a teacher recommended it to me years ago i've always meant to read it. hopefully i might at least get a start on it with this challenge! cheers.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreakhost) It's something like ten volumes isn't it? Now _that's_ rising to a challenge. :)

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Laura wrote: "I've never done a challenge, but it looks like fun. I think I will try."

Same here - looks fun! so heres my challenge list:
1. Firelight - Sophie Jordan
2. Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs
5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
6. Torment - Lauren Kate
Unearthly - Cynthia Hand
7. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
8. Dead Girls Dance - Rachel Caine
Nightshade - Andrea Cremer
Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare
9. Assassin Study - Maria V Snyder
Three to get Deadly - Janet Evanovich
10. Shadow Days - Andrea Cremer
My Soul To Lose - Rachel Vincent
Reaper - Rachel Vincent (if i can get it to work :P)
Power Study - Maria V Snyder

Good luck everyone!

message 18: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Ellen wrote: "Laura wrote: "I've never done a challenge, but it looks like fun. I think I will try."
2. Blood Bound - Patricia Br..."

Ellen it looks great!! But I'm curious why you're reading 2-4 books for some of the challenge categories? Are you just giving yourself a choice or are you a fast reader? BTW I love several of the books on your list!:)

message 19: by Emily (last edited Feb 12, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Emily | 83 comments Haha. Number 9 cracked me up. I came on here as a break during writing an essay on Caesar. Now it seems he is following me everywhere!
I'll write up a list soon. Maybe I can get it entirely from my TBR. Or cross over with some other challenges. Fingers crossed!

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68769 comments Mod
I will def do this challenge, but will wait till we get home from holidays to work out a list. I need to see the books on my BST to use as many of them as I can..LOL

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Mandy wrote: "Ellen it looks great!! But I'm curious why you're reading 2-4 books for some of the challenge categories? Are you just giving yourself a choice..."

yeah mostly just for choice though i will try and get through all of them - quiet a few of them ill have to get from the library too and i may have to wait in line for them so im keeping my options open. plus i've been meaning to read all those short stories for AGES but i often forget about them because there on my computer so this way ill remember them :P

message 22: by Laura (last edited May 25, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Laura | 4298 comments 1) The Colours of Autumn: My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons FINISHED 26/05/2011

2) International Women‘s Day: Callgirl by Jenny Angell FINISHED 7/05/2011

3) Saint Patrick‘s Day: TBC

4) Australian Labour Day: Factory Girls From Village to City in a Changing China  by Leslie T. Chang
FINISHED10/5/2011

5) Children's Book: Tiny Titans Vol. 2 Adventures in Awesomeness by Art Baltazar FINISHED 1/3/2011

6) REDUCE - Crack House by Harry Keeble FINISHED 19/4/2011

7) RE-USE - Skipping

8) RECYCLE - Skipping

9) The Ides of March - Rendezvous At Kamakura Inn by Marshall Browne this book also crosses over to the Aussie challenge for me. FINISHED14/03/11

10) The days are getting shorter - Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard by David Petersen FINISHED 8/03/2011

message 23: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments sounds like a good challenge

message 24: by Deb (last edited Mar 05, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

Deb (varmint) | 64 comments Ok, here goes... here is my list of books for the challenge

1. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (this is one of those books that I have said I will read "one day" so I guess this is it) finally read it.
2. Treading Water by Tracey Wickham
3. The Magic Cup by Andrew M. Greeley
4. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
5. The Giver by Lois Lowry
6. The Confession, John Grisham
7. Poison Study, Maria Snyder
8. The Gunslinger, Stephen King
9. The Assassins Apprentice, Robin Hobb
10. The Mirror House – Cassandra Clare
... Hopefully, I will get through them all

message 25: by ★ Jess (last edited Feb 19, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments Colours of Autumn: The Spook's Apprentice
Woman's Day: Delirium
Saint Patricks Day:The Atlantis Complex
Australian Labour Day: ????????????????????
Dr Seuss: How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Reduce:The Last Days
Re-use:The Da Vinci Code
Recycle: Beastly
The Ides of March: And Then There Were None
The days are getting shorter: The Adventureks of Sherlock Holmes (collection of short stories)

Wow...that is a nice list! I look forward to reading them all :)

The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle Beastly by Alex Flinn The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld

message 26: by Jenny (last edited Feb 13, 2011 04:36AM) (new)

message 27: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Well done Jenny! Hope you enjoyed finding all those books.:)

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 295 comments AR Autumn Challenge 2011
1/3/11 - 31/5/11

0/8 Completed

1. Colour - In Too Deep
2. International Women's Day - This Side of the Grave
3. Skip
4. Aust Labour Day - River Marked
5. Skip
6. TBR - Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand
7. Re-Read - At Grave's End
8. Library - Shades of Midnight
9. Murder - Glory in Death
10. Short Story/Anthology - Huntress

In Too Deep (Looking Glass Trilogy, #1; Arcane Society, #10) by Jayne Ann Krentz This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5) by Carrie Vaughn At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7) by Lara Adrian Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb Huntress (Includes Cin Craven, #3.5) by Christine Warren

message 29: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Sandra wrote: "AR Autumn Challenge 2011
1/3/11 - 31/5/11

0/8 Completed

1. Colour - In Too Deep
3. Skip
4. Aust Labour Day - [b..."

I love your list!

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 06, 2011 10:47PM) (new)

1. The Colours of Autumn]Animal Dreams
2. International Women‘s Day: Starting Over (An 'Aussie Readers', Author)
3. Saint Patrick‘s Day: Seek the Fair Land
4. Australian Labour Day: TBA
5. Celebrate Dr Seuss: As I have a complete Dr Seuss collection I'll just choose one at random off the shelf.
6. REDUCE: People of the Book
7. Re-Use: TBA
8. Recycle: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (this was loaned to me by a friend, I never get a chance to get to the library.
9. Murder: The Day The Ravens Died
10. Short Story/Anthology: Unaccustomed Earth

Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver Starting Over by Laura Rittenhouse Seek the Fair Land by Walter Macken People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson The Day The Ravens Died by Timothy Pilgrim Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

message 31: by Bronwyn (last edited Feb 13, 2011 08:54PM) (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Another great challenge idea - Here's my list so far but it may be revised as I go along. The recycle one is easy as most of my books are from the library. Some of these can fit into more than one category as I guess a few of other people's choices could too.

1. Shades of Autumn - Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning (it has an autumn colour cover)
2. Strong Female Lead - Untamed byP.C. Cast (Zoey Redbird is the lead character) - audiobook
3. Something Irish - Born in Ice by Nora Roberts
4. Working Class Lead - To Be Decided
5. Children's Book - Skip at this stage
6. Reduce from TBR List - Dancing with the Devil by Keri Arthur
7. Re-Read - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts - audiobook
8. Recycle (Library Book - Death Was the Other Woman: A Novel by Linda L. Richards - audiobook
9. The Ides of March (Murder Mystery) - To be Decided
10 Short Stories - Holiday With A Vampire: Christmas Cravings\Fate Calls 2 short stories by Maureen Child and Caridad Piñeiro

Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Untamed (House of Night, #4) by P.C. Cast Born in Ice (Born In trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts Dancing with the Devil (Nikki & Michael, #1) by Keri Arthur Death Was the Other Woman A Novel by Linda L. Richards Holiday With A Vampire Christmas Cravings\Fate Calls (Silhouette Nocturne) by Maureen Child Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy Series #1) by Nora Roberts

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 295 comments Ellen wrote: "Sandra wrote: "AR Autumn Challenge 2011
1/3/11 - 31/5/11

0/8 Completed

1. Colour - In Too Deep
3. Skip
4. Aust ..."

Thanks Ellen :)

message 33: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Ellen wrote: "Laura wrote: "I've never done a challenge, but it looks like fun. I think I will try."

2. Blood Bound - Patricia Br..."

Hi Ellen

Some of your choices sound interesting to me I might have to go and have a look at some of them. Happy Reading.

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Bronwyn wrote: "Hi Ellen Some of your choices sound interesting to me I might have to go and have a look at some of them. Happy Reading...."

Hi Bronwyn,
thanks your list looks great too (except zooey redbird, she drives me up the wall. lol) i can't wait for March so i can get started already!
same to you :)

message 35: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Sandra wrote: "AR Autumn Challenge 2011
1/3/11 - 31/5/11

0/8 Completed

1. Colour - In Too Deep
3. Skip
4. Aust Labour Day - [b..."

Hi Sandra

I like your choice of books too, some more to add to my TBR list

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 295 comments My pleasure Bronwyn :)

message 37: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Laura wrote: "1) The Colours of Autumn: My Favourite Wife by Tony Parsons

2) International Women‘s Day: Callgirl by Jenny Angell

3) Saint Patrick‘s Day: TBC

4) Australian Labour Day: [bookcover:Facto..."

Hey Laura - I haven't decided on my books except for "Factory Girls". I bought recently in Melbourne and have been looking forward to reading it.So when I saw number 4) I though yoohoo - and now I've seen you select it too! Will be curious to see what we each think hey?

message 38: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "1. The Colours of Autumn:The Poisonwood Bible
2. International Women‘s Day: Starting Over (An 'Aussie Readers', Author)
3. Saint Patrick‘s Day: [book:Seek the Fair Land..."

Gail, 'The Poisonwood Bible' is one of my favourite books, I look forward tohearing what you think of it.

message 39: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Wow this is a great challenge, will have a think, may have to merge a challenge into a challenge, feel like I'm letting the team down, you guys/gals have picked some fabulous books!!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Maggie wrote: "Hey Laura - I haven't decided on my books except for "Factory Girls". I bought recently in Melbourne and have been looking forward to reading it.So when I saw number 4) I though yoohoo - and now I've seen you select it too! Will be curious to see what we each think hey?"

Oooo nice :D! Yeah, it will be interesting to see what we both think of it. From the blurb it looks really interesting. I bought it at BT sale reccently and anything real interests me and gosh those factories in China sound nasty. I don't believe I've heard of anything good of them, have you? Maybe this book will show us otherwise.

message 41: by Khenan (last edited May 29, 2011 09:49PM) (new)

Khenan Bragador | 140 comments 1) The Scarlet Letter Finished
2) Little Women Finished
3) Dracula Finished
4) Good As Gold - Professor of English Lit
5) The Cat in the Hat
6) Bleak House
7) The Swiss Family Robinson Finished
8) Les Misérables
9) Julius CaesarFinish
10) Double IndemnityFinished

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

You havea great list Khenan. Little Weman, Dracula, Bleak House and Les Miserables. are amongst my favourite books. I hope you read quickly and have plently of reading time. LM and BH alone are pretty mammoth reads. Well worth the effort.

Paperback Princess (paperbackprincess) | 11 comments Ellen wrote: "Laura wrote: "I've never done a challenge, but it looks like fun. I think I will try."

9. Assassin Study - Maria V Snyder...
Power Study - Maria V Snyder"

Love your list of books Ellen! I had no idea she had short stories and when reading your list I thought she must've already added to the series that I didn't know about LOL.

This is also my first challenge with this group and really looking forward to it. I'm in a bit of a down time from reading...I just get into these phases so hoping this will give me the kick start I need.

Grabbed 2 from the library; Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce (Category 1) and Magic Study by Maria V Snyder, yet to decide which category to put the latter in.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Poisonwood Bible and Phantom Tollbooth are both excellent reads, imo. I'll post my list shortly - I think 8 of them are coming straight off Mt. TBR - thank you!

message 45: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Angelica wrote: "Love your list of books Ellen! I had no idea she had short stories and when reading your list I thought she must've already added to the series that I didn't know about LOL...."

I know i was so excited when i found them! i love Yelena's world.
ugh I know the feeling.
ooh i've heard sisters red is REALLY good - you'll have to let me know how it goes. hmm i would put magic study in 2, 8 or 9 i think :)

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1824 comments This is a pretty good chalenge and I will enjoy putting together a list!

The only one I am sure about is:
5) I had trouble in getting to Solla Sellew.

My all time fave. Dr Seuss

message 47: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:48PM) (new)

Mandapanda 1) The Colours of Autumn: Big Bad Beast

2) International Women‘s Day: Lover Unleashed

3) Saint Patrick‘s Day: Dreams of a Dark Warrior

4) Australian Labour Day: GhosTV (Police)

5) Celebrate Dr Seuss‘ birthday on March 2nd! Oh, the Places You'll Go!

It’s Clean Up Australia Day on 6th March. Do your bit for the environment and…
6) REDUCE - Notorious Pleasures
7) RE-USE - Camp Hell
8) RECYCLE - TBA

9) The Ides of March - TBA

10) Short story, essay or anthology - Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellen-jay) | 17 comments Mandy wrote: "1) The Colours of Autumn: Big Bad Beast

2) International Women‘s Day: Dreams of a Dark Warrior

3) Saint Patrick‘s Day: TBA

4) Australian Labour Day: [book:G..."

looks like a great list Mandy :D

message 49: by Sally906 (last edited May 09, 2011 02:19AM) (new)

Sally906 OK - this will be my first goodreads challenge - I will update as I go - but will try for each category - in bold when read:

1. Shades of Autumn - The Orange Girl
2. Strong Female Lead - Fierce September
3. Something Irish - Green by Laura Peyton Roberts
4. Working Class Lead - The Body at the Tower (The main character worked for a spy agency and went undercover on a construction site as a boy labourer)
5. Children's Book - Mess Monsters by Beth Shoshan (Have been reading this every night while 3 year old grandson visiting)
6. Reduce from TBR List - Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas
7. Re-Read - Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson
8. Recycle (Library Book) – Separate Beds by Elizabeth Buchan
9. The Ides of March (Murder Mystery) - Roll Over and Play Dead by Joan Hess
10 Short Stories - 10 Short Stories You Must Read This Year by assorted authors

message 50: by Brit (last edited Apr 10, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Brit McCarthy | 11 comments Not going to do all ten, just don't have the time! But I did pick a few off my TBR list:

1. Twenty Chickens For A Saddle
2. Priestess of Avalon
3. The Picture of Dorian Gray
6. Frankenstein
9. Murder on the Orient Express
10. 'Walker Brothers Cowboy' from the collection Dance of the Happy Shades

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11