Start by marking “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” as Want to Read:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  351,757 ratings  ·  3,542 reviews
"The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason."

Dr. Seuss's small-hearted Grinch ranks right up there with Scrooge when it comes to the crankiest, scowling holiday grumps of all time. For 53 years, the Grinch has lived in a cave on the side of a mountain, looming above the Whos in Whoville. The noisy holiday
Published October 4th 2004 by Harper Collins Children's Books (first published October 12th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, please sign up.
Reese H He won't answer he died…moreHe won't answer he died(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
AMY GREGORY
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
53,870 books — 209,097 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE
1,495 books — 18,605 voters

More lists with this book...

·  351,757 ratings  ·  3,542 reviews

Start your review of How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
MischaS_
THE GRINCH
GOT A WONDERFUL, AWFUL IDEA!

This was just so sweet and amazing. Love this Grinch more than the movie one. I wish we had Dr.Seuss when I was younger. I do not remember having or knowing any of his books until high-school.
Alejandro
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite Dr. Seuss' story!

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE OUR HEARTS AND SOULS

It could be his head wasn’t screwed on just right.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight,

But I think that the most likely reason of all

May have been that his heart was too sizes too small,

Okay, people, this is it!

This is my favorite tale by Dr. Seuss, and I am quite certain that it must be the most popular and known of his works.

We are in Who-ville again and The Grinch is up to n
Ahmad Sharabiani
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, Dr. Seuss

The story was published as a book by Random House in 1957. The Grinch is a bitter, grouchy, cave-dwelling creature with a heart "two sizes too small" who is living as a hermit on the snowy Mount Crumpit, a steep high mountain just north of the town of Whoville, home of the merry and warm-hearted Whos.

His only companion is his unloved, but loyal dog, Max. From his cave, the Grinch can hear the noisy Christmas festivities that take place in Whoville. Cont
Michael Finocchiaro
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I probably watched this show about a million times and read the book as a kid at least as many and it was immensely pleasurable to share it with my kids. A wonderful story about the real spirit of giving and love. It might be my very favorite xmas story of all. An absolute must.
Fergus
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How the Grinch Stole Christmas was a sorta watershed kiddies’ picture book for me when I was seven.

For I had graduated to the childishly ‘more adult’ stage of my reading career, since the previous summer I had seen firsthand the vastness of Canada, on a cross-country train trip with many a whistle stop.

Each train station, of course, had a smoke shop (natch - it was 1957, and EVERYONE smoked EVERYWHERE!) with rows and rows of family magazines and COMIC BOOKS.

My bro, David, and I POUNCED on those
James
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
4+ stars to How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, a children's picture book, written in 1957 by Dr. Seuss. I adored this favorite as a child, and I still watch the cartoon ever year at Christmas. I've also seen the Jim Carrey movie and will watch that one, too. It's such a wonderful take of love and revenge...

Most folks who celebrate Christmas must have read or seen some version of this story at some point in their lives. If not, it's basically a grinch that wants to stop Chris
Calista
The perfect book. My nephew wanted to read this tonight. It's his favorite Christmas book. You can't beat it. The art is so creative and distinctive. The movies just use his art right out of the book.

I'm glad this is still as popular as ever. It has a wonderful message also.
Michael O'Brien
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my youngest daughter, 4-years old, as a surprise, early Christmas present. Suffice to say, this classic tale has aged well. She loved it as much as I did when I was her age. A little girl enjoying a great Christmas story with a good moral to it, and fond memories of her enthralled from start to finish is definitely a 5-star rating in my book!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Grinch got a wonderful, awful idea ..."
description

This is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books!
description

And the classic 1966 animated TV show is one of the best book-to-film adaptations ever. When I was a kid, we made sure to catch that show Every. Single. Year. when it was shown on TV around Christmas (back in the dinosaur age, before DVRs or even videocassettes). Boris Karloff was a brilliant narrator, the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" (which is NOT in the book, but which Dr. Seuss (Ted Geisel) wrote f
Amalia Gkavea
“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 The Grinch ★'s

“All the windows were dark
No one knew he was here
All the Who's were all dreaming
Sweet dreams without care…”

Obviously How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is a 5 star rating. I mean come on it deserves NOTHING less. Seeing as how it is a positively brilliant classic!! I know it's a children's picture book, that was written back in 1957 by the one and only Dr. Seuss but this book is everything. It feels as though I have always known about The Grinch, it has always been a HUGE part
Archit
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Come on Grinch,

Don't be a spoilsport.

I and my wife are surely reading to our little Who's when they are born.

The undercurrent of the story presents to you a question as to not "How" but rather "Why" did the the Grinch stole the Christmas from the merry making Who people.

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot

But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be,
Vicki
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, children
Of course it is a five star rating. How could it be less. I can pretty much say it by heart when I read it at Christmas time. It is always brought out, just like the Night Before Christmas.
Those reading always takes center stage in our Christmas traditions. Once we read the book, we watch the original cartoon. sometimes we even watch the movie The Grinch to top off the perfectly Grinchy evening.
Anne
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
So lovely and positively brilliant. Just inspiring!

My first book by Dr. Seuss, everyone!

And now onto the movie!! Gosh I love Christmas. ❤❤
Loretta
I’m not sure how I missed reading this book as a child. The only explanation that I can come up with was that I wasn’t a fan of the TV show because my absolute favorite was and still is, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I thought the Grinch was mean and nasty and the Whos were just irritating and Little Cindy Who was more than annoying! Did love Max the dog but that’s probably because I love dogs! Ah! My younger self! 😮😂

Fast forward to adulthood, after reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas! I s
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
It came without ribbons. It came without tags.
It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

My favourite tale from my favourite children's author, a story on the real meaning
Dennis
I’m a bit of a Grinch.

That’s what I was going to write for my last Christmas read. But the thing is, I actually did not know all that much about the Grinch. What a nice coincidence then that I got this book for Christmas. And it wasn’t a coincidence at all. My Santa knows me very well, as all the presents I got were carefully chosen, very personal gifts. How nice is that?! Five stars for my Santa. :)

For the book itself, however, I can only give three stars, I’m afraid. The message is great. But
Erth
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
grands love this story. Have read it many times.
Sam Quixote
“All the windows were dark
No one knew he was here
All the Who's were all dreaming
Sweet dreams without care…”

I’ve always been aware of The Grinch for as long as I can remember but I’ve never actually read Dr Seuss’s classic, How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Well, what better time to rectify that than in December, eh? I’m glad I now finally have but I found it a bit underwhelming.

You probably know the story already but for those who don’t: a grumpy monster called The Grinch decides to steal all th
Caroline
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember being read this book as a child....and what a dreadful oversight that was. The book is a delight....even read at the end of January, after the fanfare of Christmas has subsided, it is still a great pleasure.

Mr meanie Grinch, doesn't like Christmas because "his heart is two sizes too small." Instead he plans a wicked scheme to deprive the people of Whoville of their precious Christmas. Fortunately he doesn't succeed, because the spirit of this celebration lies in more than the ma
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)

Sleigh

I promised myself that for the Christmas of 2019 I will read more Christmas themed books. So now I’m reading each and every book I can get my hand on.

I’ve seen all the adaptations of this movie a hundred times. But this was actually my first time reading the book. It’s cute and fun; and I will now have to re-read it every year at
[Shai] Bibliophage

Seventeen years ago, I've watched the movie adaptation of this classic children's story book. Both the movie and the book version are remarkable and excellent. I love how it shows that even those who have the heart of ice still have that soft side in them.
Kimberly
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Christmas classic that's enjoyable any time of the year. ...more
Tamara
Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot

But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!

The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.

It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.

It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.

But I think that the most likely reason of all

May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
Come on, you know the story.

In Whoville, live the Whos, an almost mutated sort
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, z2017, childrens
This was my first time ever reading this and I thought it was very good :)
Gio Listmaker
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Image result for grinch book quote

I Am Not A Christmas Person

Maybe Not Quite A Grinch

Christmas To Me Is What Newman From Seinfeld Is To Jerry LOL

Image result for newman seinfeld christmas

We Never Figure Out Why He Hates Newman

This Book Has Always Made Me Smile And Will Melt Anyone's Grinch Heart

The Movie!! My One And Only Christmas Tradition

Image result for grinch solve world hunger quotes
midnightfaerie
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
How can anyone not love Dr. Seuss or the Grinch? I grew up on the Christmas animated cartoon that always showed on T.V. and the book was just an added bonus to a wonderful story. I can still sing that song. A wonderful story and a great book to pass down through generations and a great way to start a family tradition of reading a story at Christmas time. Who says it always has to be the Night Before Christmas?
Yulia
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever someone asks me if I celebrate Christmas and I'm about to be catty and say that I don't because I'm not a Christian, I wish an alert would sound in my ear and warn me not to be like Grinch. "Don't steal Christmas, Yulia. Don't do it!" ...more
Christina
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
" Then he got an idea. An awful idea. The grinch got a wonderful, awful idea. "

Not my first time reading it by any means, but just read it with my kids for a bedtime story. I forgot how the grinch is kinda my favorite Christmas related character :)
Lena
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, 2020, 2018, children
Since I am living with a bunch of grinchs, who refuse to watch christmas movies with me, I am going for this beauty!

• The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Giving Tree
  • The BFG
  • Goodnight Moon
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • A Light in the Attic
  • The Witches
  • Matilda
  • Bearstone: With Related Readings (Glencoe Literature Library, #8)

Articles featuring this book

The holiday season is all about comfort and joy, but—let's be real—it can be a bit hectic too. That's why we suggest cozying up with a...
“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!” 3140 likes
“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,