Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Reading Challenges > Barbara's 2011 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Dec 27, 2011 09:03PM) (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1570 comments Mod
Ladies, you have inspired me. I was awestruck by your 100 book goals, impressed by the 75, and intrigued by the 50, which is still 1 a week. I'm gonna try!

I may need some encouragement as the months pass, so I'm counting on all of you for support.

1. Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb (01/02/11)
2. Sarah's Garden (A Patch of Heaven, #1) by Kelly Long (01/11/11)
3. The Journey (Kentucky Brothers, #1) by Wanda Brunstetter (01/12/11)
4. An Amish Love: Healing Hearts/What the Heart Sees/A Marriage of the Heart (Inspirational Amish Anthology by Beth Wiseman, Kelly Long, and Kathleen Fuller (01/22/11)
5. Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughter's, #1) by Emma Miller (01/28/11)

6. Dark Harvest (Maplecreek Amish Trilogy, #1) by Karen Harper (02/09/2011)
7. Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook by Gooseberry Patch (02/10/2011)
8. Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook by Gooseberry Patch (02/10/2011)
9. Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Meatloaf Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook by Gooseberry Patch (02/10/2011)
10. The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern (02/13/11)
11. Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3) by Shelley Shepard Gray (02/19/11)

12. Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish by Sue Bender (03/03/11)
13. Secrets of Harmony Grove by Mindy Starns Clark (03/12/11)
14. Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Slow Cooker Recipes: Exclusive online cookbook by Gooseberry Patch (03/13/11)
15. Crossing Over: One Woman's Exodus from Amish Life by Ruth Irene Garrett (03/15/11)
16. A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2) by Barbara Cameron (03/17/11)
17. Lilly's Wedding Quilt (A Patch of Heaven, #2) by Kelly Long (03/24/11)

18. The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1) by Shelley Shepard Gray (04/04/11)
19. Divine by Karen Kingsbury (04/15/11)
20. The Protector (Families of Honor, #2) by Shelley Shepard Gray (04/18/11)
21. PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (04/26/11)

22. Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5) by Beth Wiseman (05/13/11)
23. Between Two Worlds by Shelter Somerset (05/24/11)

24. Softly and Tenderly by Sara Evans (06/04/11)
25. Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Dip & Spread Recipes by Gooseberry Patch (06/07/11)
26. Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1) by Mary Ellis (06/17/11)
27. The Union Quilters (Elm Creek Quilt, #17) by Jennifer Chiaverini 06/29/11)
28. Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (06/29/11)

29. Running Around (And Such) (Lizzie Searches for Love, #1) by Linda Byler (07/04/11)
30. When Strawberries Bloom (Lizzie Searches for Love, #2) by Linda Byler (07/11/11)
31. Big Decisions (Lizzie Searches for Love, #3) by Linda Byler (07/17/11)
32. A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1 by Amy Clipston (07/21/11)
33. Miriam's Heart (Hannah's Daughters, #2) by Emma Miller (07/24/11)
34. Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts by Wanda E. Brunstetter (07/24/11)

35. Beside Still Waters (A Big Sky Novel, #1) by Tricia Goyer (08/06/11)
36. The Promise of an Angel (Heaven on Earth, #1) by Ruth Reid (08/12/11)
37. Love Finds a Home: 3 Historical Romances Make Falling in Love Simple and Sweet by Wanda E. Brunstetter (08/19/11)
38. The Healing (Kentucky Brothers, #2) by Wanda E. Brunstetter (08/24/11)

39. Kelly's Chance (Brides of Lehigh Canal, #1) by Wanda E. Brunstetter (09/10/11)
40. What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances by Kathleen Fuller (09/18/11)
41. Buried Sins (Three Sisters Inn, #3) by Marta Perry (09/25/11)

42. Operation Bonnet by Kimberly Stuart (10/03/11)
43. The Judgment (The Rose Trilogy, #2) by Beverly Lewis (10/11/11)
44. The Mercy (The Rose Trilogy, #3) by Beverly Lewis (10/14/11)
45. The Wedding Quilt (Elm Creek Quilt, #18) by Jennifer Chiaverini (10/18/11)
46. An Amish Wedding by Beth Wiseman (10/20/11)
47. A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3) by Barbara Cameron (10/23/11)
48. Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Mystery, #1) by Vannetta Chapman
(10/27/11)

49. A Lancaster County Christmas by Suzanne Woods Fisher (11/03/11)
50. Along Wooded Paths (A Big Sky Novel, #2) by Tricia Goyer (11/07/11)
51. The Christmas Singing by Cindy Woodsmall (11/11/11)
52. I'll Be Home for Christmas (When I Fall In Love romance) by Julie L. Cannon (11/27/11)

53. Naomi's Gift: an Amish Christmas Story by Amy Clipston (12/2/11)
54. The World's Greatest Christmas Cookies: A Sweet Collection of Recipes, Tips & Decorating Ideas, and Inspiration for the Season by Nanette Anderson (12/3/11)
55. A Log Cabin Christmas: 9 Nine Romances of American Pioneer Christmases by Margaret Brownley (12/19/11)
56. An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3) by Patricia Davids (12/24/11)
57. The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5) by Patricia Davids (12/26/11)

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I agree Barbara, 50 is accomplishable at 1 book per week. Some books I can get done in 3 days while others take a week.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I'm sure you can do it, Barbara! My secret to managing 100 books a year is that I have lots of holidays from university and I like to be nostalgic and read Nancy Drew and the Babysitters Club, which only take an hour to read :) 50 is definitely manageable, and you've already read 2 before the end of the 2nd week!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Thanks for the encouragement! I am glad that classes have restarted for my hubby -- it's so much easier to curl up with the book when he's studying.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Wow -- 2 icy, snowy days & Wanda's "The Journey" on my kindle -- no better way to pamper yourself!

message 6: by Barbara (new)

I'm so glad the reading challenge button is out there. I forgot to add one of my February reads to this list.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

My latest completion... not a long book but right now the number one on amazon and believe it or not, I learned about it from my boss.

If you can skip the language, and I was able to, it was a very funny read. Having been there with 2 girls that loved to push the envelope and a hubby that worked shifts, I could so identify with it. The pictures are awesome and delightfully complement the prose.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Updated...

A Gift of Grace by Amy Clipston Now I can start on July's read, A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1) by Amy Clipston, which I believe was my choice.

Maybe I'll wait for daylight since it's already almost 1:30 in the morning and I have to teach Sunday School in a few hours (not a gift that is mine, but I haven't learned how to say "No" when asked to help out.

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Aug 12, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

The Promise of an Angel (A Heaven On Earth Novel) by Ruth Reid I can't believe I'm at 36! The last three are from NetGalley and so's the one I'm starting this evening, Love Finds a Home: 3 Historical Romances Make Falling in Love Simple and Sweet by Wanda E. Brunstetter.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Wow! I'm up to 38 now and getting ready to start my third in a row by Wanda E. Brunstetter. I'll do the second August read, Kelly's Chance. Kelly's Chance (Brides of Lehigh Canal, #1) by Wanda E. Brunstetter

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments It's a good book.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Getting ready to go on vacation with the ladies that got me started reading again. Just think -- 5 days by the water with good friends, good food, and good books -- it doesn't get much better than that!

No internet there, so don't miss me too much!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Hope you have a lovely time, Barbara! Looks like you're very close to reaching your goal :)

message 14: by Barbara (new)

What a great time I had last week with my lady friends. We didn't get too much reading done, but boy did we knit! Three of the group is going on a disaster relief trip to an area of Virginia that lost everything to tornadoes earlier this year and they want to take scarves with them. I finished 4 last week on my own. I didn't want to miss any of the conversation, so I didn't use the voice feature on my kindle.

I can't believe I'm only 10 books from goal!

message 15: by Barbara (new)

You would think that while I'm home and sick that I'd grab a book, but this cough has me exhausted. So many to read and so little ambition.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Found that when the fever dropped a bit the ambition came back. Ready to pick up The Mercy by Beverly Lewis in the morning.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) You're really close to meeting your goal, Barbara, and it's only October!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Only three to go to met my goal! I was really worried when I set my sights on 50 but now what do I do for next year?

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ann wrote: "Only three to go to met my goal! I was really worried when I set my sights on 50 but now what do I do for next year?"

Well, it turns out I missed adding one of my October reads to the list -- it's there now!

I can't believe that I actually did it. The cookbooks were kinda quick and easy. Maybe I shouldn't have counted them. Maybe I make sure to read 5 more "books" to call it 50. Now what do I do for next year?

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Congrats on reaching your goal! Do you think you're going to aim for 50 again next year or raise your goal a bit?

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Rachel wrote: "Congrats on reaching your goal! Do you think you're going to aim for 50 again next year or raise your goal a bit?"

I'm not sure. This could have been a fluke. I'm presently working part-time and may need to take on another part-time position, so I won't have as much reading time. So I might keep the goal where it is since I can change it during the year.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I think I'm going to leave my goal at 125 for next year as it's pretty much what I've had the last few years. Plus, next summer I won't really be able to work as I'm getting married in July and it'll be hard to find work for just a month or so at a time, so I plan to get started on my dissertation and maybe do some voluntary work but I figure I'll have plenty of time to read.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Rachel -- I can't believe you get all those books in & go to school. There are times a feel like such a slacker compared to some of our bigger readers.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Well I'm astounded... I reached my goal and have passed it!!

message 25: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Awesome job Barbara! :)