BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Welcome Center > HI MY NAME IS __________ AND I AM A BOOK-AHOLIC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 376 (376 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
HI MY NAME IS WES AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC

I OWN A USED BOOKSTORE BUT STILL FIND MYSELF BUYING BOOKS. I THINK I AM GOING CRAZY STARTING AND STOPING BOOKS. I HAVE A STACK OF BOOKS BY MY BED, BATHROOM, END TABLES, AND CAR. ALL STARTED AND SOME I CONTINUE SOME I SET ASIDE TIL I AM READY TO START AGAIN. I DON'T FORGET WHAT I HAVE READ SO I DON'T HAVE TO BACKTRACK BUT STILL IT IS KINDA NUTS.

JOIN US

message 2: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

I JUST CHANGED THE NAME OF THE GROUP TO BOOK-AHOLICS. I'M SURE THAT MOST OF US ON THIS SITE SUFFER FROM THIS.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Hello, my name is Ashley and I am a book-aholic. I love to read. I have like 16 books on my book shelf to read. I have a long to read list on here too. I can't go into a bookstore without buying a book. If theres a book section in a store I have to check it out, even if I won't find any good books to read. I always go to our local library book sales. There is actually one coming up on the 1st of Dec. and I look forward to that. I think I'm a severe case..lol.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 12, 2007 08:12AM) (new)

Hi Wes, my name is Sandy and I am a Book-Aholic. I love the feel, the smell and the words. My dear husband does not understand my need to buy books instead of going to a library. It has always been an indulgence of mine. Preceded only by a need for chocolate.

message 5: by Shari (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Shari | 9 comments Hi wes, ashley, and Sandy. I too follow your footsteps on being an aholic. I have read and been read to ever since I was old enough to remember. I have a problem with putting down the book. My biggest problem is when I am driving and I hit a good spot I will hold the book on the steering wheel and try to read as I drive. A great habit if you can remember to watch the road at times :)

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Lisa | 42 comments HI WES, and group. My name is Lisa, and I am a Bookaholic. My house resembles a library or book store because so far we have no room dedicated to the task of keeping them organized. Everyroom has at least one bookshelf full except the bathroom. I have always been this way, and remember getting punished as a kid for begging to get "the thick books" from the library when I couldn't even read yet. Picture books went by too quickly. Note to self...always let my kids get the thick books and read it to them.

message 7: by Roos (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Roos | 16 comments Hi Wes,

My Name is Roos and I'm from Indonesia.
Well it's such a great adventure for me to be a BOOK-A-HOLICS group members. And I adore you, how you start to make all the members to be active, that was very very Cool, Wes.

message 8: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Thanks Roos,
Your the best,
wes

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laza) Hello all, my name is Lauren and I'm a book-a-holic. Like the rest of you, I have books on several bookcases, in multiple rooms, stacked in random places, and even stored at my parent's house. I can't leave a bookstore without buying something even if it means skipping dinner because I can't afford it!

It's good to know there are other people like me!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, my name is Matthew, and I'm a book-a-holic too. I have many books and graphic novels. I don't know the count, but many of them are unread. I scour eBay and the Barnes & Noble bargain sections looking for thing that catch my eye on Amazon. LOL

I recently moved to NC and lugging all these heavy books upstairs from the garage made me take a hard look at my collection. I think I might be on the road to recovery, but I think it's too soon to tell.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Ifer's Inklings (only4lightn) Hi, my name is Jen and I am a book-a-holic too.

As we speak, I am trying to figure a way to smuggle the 7 books I purchased today into my house without my husband seeing. :p He doesn't understand my need for books either... especially since I have two bookcases full of never read books. *sigh*

message 12: by Candace (new)

Candace (candaceclayton) | 2 comments Hi, my name is Candace and I am a book-a-holic too! Looks like I am not alone in my addiction! My hubby is a lover of books, not as much as I am, but he does understand my need to read and purchase multitudes of books each year. I am looking forward to the day I have a library in my house and can start my own card file system to keep track of them all!

message 13: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Jan 18, 2008 11:45AM) (new)

Just log your books on here candace that is a good inventory system

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Just 2 bookcases full? Try hundreds of books not read yet! lol

message 15: by Angie (last edited Feb 07, 2008 09:37AM) (new)

Angie Mitchell (angie-the-great) Hi Wes & other folks. I am Angie & a book-a-holic as well :). But I honestly didn't start reading till a year ago & since then I have falling inlove with reading. It all started on a long trip to Gatlinburg :). My husband doesn't read AT ALL so he is dumbfounded by the amount of "his" money I spend on books. So I might have to find me a job to feed my addiction.

message 16: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Hello All:

My name is Marlene and I am definitely a book-a-holic. I just moved from NY to Jax, FL and the first two things that were placed in the moving truck were my books and then my shoes. Everything else, was a matter of taking it IF it fitted in the truck. As the moving guy said (in utter disbelief) "Lady, you need help!"
My reaction, "I don't know what you're talking about."

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie Hi Wes, I am curious where you are in the picture you have posted on your profile?

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (asf_booklover) | 2 comments Hi Everyone,

My name is Alice, and I live near Montreal,Quebec, Canada. I am a recent member to Goodreads, and I'm in the process of listing my books on the site.

I have been an avid reader as long as I can remember, and love the smell and feel of a new book. I must admit I must be a Book-Aholic, since
it is very difficult for me to leave a bookshop, without purchasing a few.

I am currently reading "The Pillars of the Earth", and enjoying it.

I am a tutor for Adult Literacy, helping adults improve their reading, writing, and numeracy skills. I am always on the lookout for new resources, either in book form, or on the Internet, which could be a future learning tool for my students.

Glad to be a member of this group!

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 33 comments Keep forgetting to stop by here and actually type - but I'm Amy, a teacher of students with learning disabilities (ldtchr) and mom to two emerging readers!

To say I'm a book-a-holic would be an understatement I'm sure.
Tonight, my "fix" was purchasing 12-14 books at my older daughter's school book fair, and my daughters only picked out 3!

However, as I explain to my husband (more frequently than I wish, it's much better and healthier than being addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, gambling and much less fattening than chocolate, etc.... It's also an addiction that can actually have a positive impact on those around me -
so I say "carpe libre"!

message 20: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Hi Angie,
I go on an annual camping trip to the mountains of NC and that day I was on top of a mountain called Max Patch Bald.

message 21: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) I'm Dan and I can't live without bookahol. I'd say I have over a hundred unread books in my house. I've recently had to buy a rotating cd/dvd tower to free up more shelf space.

It doesn't take much to get on a book buying bender. I got into P.G. Wodehouse and soon had thirty of his books lying around after scouring used book stores.

About once a year I go through the stash and force myself to give up the 15 or 20 books that have been unread the longest, which leads to more credit at the used bookstore and the cycle of addiction continues.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreag) | 27 comments It's funny, my mother encouraged my brothers and I to be avid readers, but she always asks when I'm going to get rid of some of my books. She goes to the library to get most of her books. For books she receives as gifts, she gives many away after she's read them.

The running family joke is that if you need to entertain either of my brothers or me, just drop us off at a bookstore and we'll be fine for several hours.

My husband and I have books in every room in our house. He is as much of a book-aholic as I am. Since I have to work for a living, I can buy books much faster than I can read them. I have good intentions of reading everything I buy. Really I do...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Angie,

Instead of a job, here are 2 ideas:

1. A library card.
2. An Amazon.com Visa. For every dollar you spend, they accumulate it and send you "gift certificates" for books at their site. I convinced my husband to get rid of ALL of our other credit cards, and now we only use the Amazon one. I don't think I've paid for a book at Amazon in over 2 years! (And I order A LOT of books!)

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie Wes, that is amazing.. it looks like that picture was taken in New Zealand or somewhere like that!

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy Hi everyone. I too have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I have books coming out of my ears. I generally read and re-read them hence, I will not get rid of any of them like my dear husband would like.
Alice, I just finished Pillars last night and am signed up for tutor training in March for a Literacy Action Center in my area. I would love to chat.

message 26: by Roni (last edited Feb 13, 2008 01:56PM) (new)

Roni (v_a_b) Hi everyone! I am veronica, and I am addicted to books. I have been reading longer than I can remember, but I know that it has at least been since preschool. I have 91 books on my to-read bookshelf here on goodreads, plus a ton of other books I want to read. If many more books gravitate to my room from other parts of the house, I will need to buy a seperate bookshelf. One of my lifelong dreams is to own a house with a library in it that is perfectly organized when I grow up. I read the most in my family, with my older sister coming in second. My mom likes to read as much as I do, but she unfortunatly doesn't have the time. In the summertime I often read for 12+ hours in a day. The most I have ever read in a day was 2 and 1/2 books.

So I confess. I am a book-a-holic

message 27: by L Clare (new)

L Clare (cloud9clare) Hi Veronica (such a lovely name)

I *am* grown up and still don't have that library I hanker after but, who knows ... one day ... Two and a half books in one day is quite an achievement. I think I'm doing well when I get a phase of a book a day but sadly life keeps getting in the way!

Laura

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 7 comments Glad I'm not the only one who has always included a library in my dream house!! For now, I have to live with at least two bookcases in every room...but some day I will get that library:P

message 29: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle Hello everyone!
My name is Dawn Michelle and I am a total book-a-holic!
In the past 2 weeks I have bought close to 20 books. Most of them brand new. SIGH.
I am trying to read 50 books this year (New (as in I have never read them) if I can)and it seems that every time I go into a book store I CANNOT leave without buying something. I think my husband is looking for another job! :)I do shop at used books stores and love them, but I do spend quite a bit of time in regular bookstores as well and well, it just happens. I end up going home with something. And being that I live in Canada, the books are more expensive here. (GACK! I just remembered the TWELVE books I just bought on e-bay.......AHHHHHHHH)
We have totally run out of room in our little apartment (the husband is a HUGE reader as well. He has more books listed on here than I do). Someday I too, will have the library of my dreams!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone!
My name is Kat even though my user name here is Bookworm, my birth certificate says otherwise.
I am a book-a-holic. I read like there is no tomorrow, unless I just had an idea for a story, then I'm a write-a-holic.

message 31: by Gina (new)

Gina (accesette) | 3 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Gina & I'm a bookaholic. I have been for most of my life, but I came by it honestly as my parents had tons of book & bookshelf space in our home. They were always reading. My mom used to read a book while eating breakfast & my brother & sister thought that you had to read something so they would intently read the cereal box.
I have lots of books to read, I usually don't re-read many but I also have a stack in that pile as well.
In order to feed my addiction & still live within the bounds of my life, I've started getting audio books from the library to listen to during my hour and a half daily commute. It's been great, but I still think that actually reading a book, is my favorite.
I don't have many of my books listed on goodreads yet, I've been too busy reading!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!

I am so glad to find this group. I was excited to read about others who love to collect books just for the sake of collecting books!

As a kid back in the '60s, I loved to go to the library and just browse through the adult section. All those beautiful cloth-bound books. Very few had dust-jackets then. Those library books smelled so good too! Must have been the paper/ink that was used. I would have loved to have been around when they sold most of those old books. Most all have been replaced by new printings with dust-jackets and mylar covers - much cheaper construction.

I am a hardcover snob. I subscribe to Easton Press greatest 100 books which are all leather and top quality construction. I have several other series' from them. I have Folio Society books that are in cardboard dust sleeves - very good construction. I subscribe to Library Of America too. I also love old books. Most of which I purchased off Ebay. Not real expensive ones, or necessarily in good condition, but I love old books that have been read and loved. Many times they have a note in them like "To Tess from Aunt Millie - 1892". I wish we would do that today! Well - not the high quality ones - you want to leave those unmarked ;).

I do NOT like dust-jackets. However, I keep them since they are, for some reason, prized by other book collectors. When I am reading or browsing a book I always remove the dust-jacket and put it in a drawer. I am actually thinking of removing all of them from my collection just so the book can stand on it's own merit - probably taking me back to those days in the library when they did not have dust-jackets.

I currently have over 350 hardcover books cataloged in a database. I have many soft-cover books that I have not cataloged yet. I only get soft-cover if something I am interested in does not have hardcover. Most self-help, computer books, language learning books, etc.

Places I like to buy books from: Amazon - of course, Alibris.com - great source of used books, EBay - especially old books just because. Specialty publisers like Easton Press, Folio Society, Library Of America. Edward R Hamilton is really fun to peruse the catalog. Used book stores are fun, but I do not particularly like the big commercial bookstores. I wish someone could tell me why.

Project for this year: Construct a floor to ceiling bookshelf about 10 feet wide. It will be awesome - and full before you know it.

Any other hardcover snobs out there, I would love to hear from you!

--Tim

message 33: by Symbol (new)

Symbol I have a variety of books, both hardcover and paperback. I love the hardcover ones best though. I ordered many books from the Folio Society when I was in highschool. It was my indulgence. Other kids got part-time jobs so that they could go out and buy the latest video games. I spent my wages on books.

I love all the cloth and leather bindings, gilded edges, and coloured slipcases! And I share a common distaste for dustjackets with Tim.

I don't despise paperbacks, (as I said, I have many) but certain books just aren't the same if they're not hardcover. I have no problem with purchasing fluffy fantasy and assorted other fiction as paperback. Books that I want to read, but not more than once. The old favourites though, have to be hardcover and well-made!

Mythologies, fables, and fairy tales... all hardcover. Plays and histories and favourite novels! Poetry! Beautiful literature deserves a beautiful binding!

So... I guess I'm a hardcover snob too.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hardcover snobs unite! ;)

message 35: by Connie (new)

Connie | 4 comments Hey, my kind of group. Hardcovers are just better. Tim, I also like the older books without the jackets. I like to just have them around to look at. Don't get me wrong, when time permits I love to read them too.

Nice to see that I am not the only one who can't bear to part with my books, I will loan them out to friends, but I want to know they are coming back. I just joined Bookcrossings, because I liked the idea, but I seriously don't know if I will be able to part with any of my favoirites. Problem is that they are mostly favorites.

My son has a beautiful house. Very minimalist, but I cannot understand how you could live without a bookcase full in your house.

Give me a rustic cabin, but lots of books.

message 36: by Michele (new)

Michele Hi everyone
My name is Michele and I am a bookaholic. I usually have a number of books on the go at once, although I am trying to finish one book before starting on another, but it is not always possible when there are so many books crying out to be read.

I do have to try to limit the number of books that I own (not too successfully) because we move fairly regularly, I am coming to the realisation though that the key is to limit other stuff and make more room for books.

Connie, a rustic cabin with lots of books sounds ideal :)

message 37: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Hi everyone!
My name is Sella and I am a bookaholic and a write-a-holic. I usually re-read my favorite books, mostly, and I can be found reading quietly in my room when I'm supposed to be doing something else. My mom usually has to tear my away from my book to get me to do something.

It's the same with writing- it's hard to separate from my pen.

My favorite genre is fantasy. I do have a taste for some realistic fiction, but none can satisfy my quench for books like fantasy can.

I have all my favorite books on my shelf, and I spend most of my time re-reading them. Of course, it is always a bigger thrill when it is a new book, but I find myself entranced just as much when I read it not for the first time.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments Hi y name is Jim and I'm a bookaholic
I have wide range of interests and enjoy fiction
as well as nonfiction.

Love books that show thru the character's actions and subsequent consequences how things work in their world/were at some particular place in time and hopefully ours without preaching and didactic monologues by authors speaking thru protagonist
eg Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson

same for nonfiction where author connects up events/people especially when not so obvious on surface of events
always impressed at how much great nonfiction writers can find out about what actually hapeened centuries/decades ago about what happeened and who did what
eg The Distant Mirror

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

hi everyone and wes
i think i've introduced myself already but uh maybe not
i just wanted to tell wes thanks for this group
i have to run to work but as i was looking at it this morning the thought struck me that it is a neat thing
i enjoy seeing what everyone is reading

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) "Hi, I'm Susanna, and I'm a bookaholic."

"Hi, Susanna!"

My parents are also bookaholics (probably comes from being English professors). I think there are several thousand books in our house, though I've never counted. We have numerous large bookshelves, but all quite full, so they lie around in piles on the floor, on tables, and on the stairs up to the attic.

message 41: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Thanks Maureen this group has turned into something great... I am happy for all of your participation to make it great..

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 4 comments Hi Wes, my name is Lisa, and I am a bookaholic too.

I work at a bookstore, but find myself looking at books anywhere I see them. And buying them. I also have a library degree, and want to work in a school library, but still buy books more than going to the library. I have a whole bookshelf sitting at home of books I haven't read yet, and I wanted to read them all when I bought them, and still do, but I keep buying more books as I see them. I keep the books I have read on separate shelves, and I also keep a book journal in a notebook.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 4 comments My family is the same way. Although I live on my own, whenever my step-dad or brother come over, I try to hide whatever books I have out, and hope that they don't notice how many more have been added to the shelves upstairs. I know they complain every time they've had to move me and all my books.

message 44: by Coalbanks (last edited Apr 26, 2008 05:41PM) (new)

Coalbanks | 22 comments Book love... is your pass to the greatest, the purest, and the most perfect pleasure that God has prepared for His creatures.
Anthony Trollope

Ok OK I admit it! I'm a book a holic! I buy/trade books to the point I need a bigger house and could afford it if I hadn't bought all these books! Time to read more & collect less, I guess, but then I will miss something I might not find again! Ha HA!

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) Hi my name is Cynthia and I guess you could say I'm a half-way recovered bookaholic. I'm a librarian so I no longer buy as many books as I used to (only the ones we don't have in the system I work at and can't get them to buy). I've always been an avid reader (minus the 6 years I was in college and graduate school when text books drained all my reading energy)...my local library growing up was within walking distance which was great. I currently have a to-read list of close to 500 books...lots of catching up to do. If I could afford it I'd probably buy all the books buy all favorite authors but for now working in a library is like heaven.

message 46: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Hello, my name is Alicia, and I am a Book-a-holic.

I own over 100 books, and have probably only read 20% of my personal library. I like to own all my books and am a sucker for bargain books. My friends use me as their personal library. The books of mine that I have read, have been read by at least 3 people. Knowing this, makes me feel a lot less guilty about buying them all. I think my record for one month was purchasing like 20 books (got to love those after Christmas bargains).

If I read a book by an author and I really like it, I will go out and buy most of that author's collection- or most of it.

I love books that go in a series. If I find one on a bargain book rack, I will shop at various stores and online sites to see if I can get the entire series on clearance. It is like my own treasure hunt, it excites me to no end, but everyone else thinks I am a little crazy.

When I get bored at work I make lists of what books I will read next.

It is good to know that I am not alone.

message 47: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 6 comments Hi. I'm Pauline, and I'm also a book-a-holic. Im just seventeen, so maybe I'm not much a book-a-holic as you guys are, but I love to read all the same.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. I'm Caitlin, and I'm a book-a-holic. Hey Pauline, I'm only fifteen, but for my age I am a big book-a-holic.

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Hi everyone!!

I'm such a book-a-holic!! In the past 2 weeks I have bought about 30-40 books!! Lots of bargains in there though - she says this to justify it. After purchasing five books yesterday from the second hand store I said no more but if you've read about my splurge you know I didn't follow that order and ended up buying plenty at the salvos. Honestly I don't know what's wrong with me, I won't read them all even in a year but there's just something about walking into a bookstore. I think I'm truly an addict!!

message 50: by Marie (new)

Marie Scotton (vampyrawitch) | 2 comments Hello everyone. Im Marie & Im a bookaholic & proud of it. I have a entire closet of just books, tho I just gave up 2 half boxes of books that i sent to my library in town. I Love going to the library & seeing what new books are out or going to the bookstores & see whats out there. It always seems to be my little adventure to see what books are out & what looks really good to read. Some poeple are afraid to say that that they have books in places that you cant even find them (thats with me now) but I love finding books that catch my interest.
Im very happy to be in this group, to someone finally understand me. Thank you! Love, Marie

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8