Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2011 Archive > Jim's List: Happier than Schindler's

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Two years in a row I've broken the 200 mark. Let's see if I can make it three.

message 2: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Jan 12, 2011 07:05PM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Let's see if I can keep track a little differently this year. Instead of doing a post for each month, I think I'll do a new post for each 10. And I'm thinking I post my favorite out of each group of 10. Then if all goes according to plan, I will have 20 posts with 20 favorites at the end of the year.

So without further ado...

1. Flat-Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy **** (1/1)
2. Not That Kind of Girl (Dog Walkers #3) by Susan Donovan *** (1/2)
2.5 Needing Nita by Norah Wilson *** (1/2) (ebook less than 200 pages)
3. Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris **** (1/3)
4. Just Between Us . . . (Harlequin Blaze #113) by Tori Carrington ** (1/4)
5. The Boss's Wife for a Week by Anne McAllister ** (1/4)
6. The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men by Christie Ridgway *** (1/6)
7. Crazy for Love by Victoria Dahl *** (1/7)
8. Hard and Fast by Erin McCarthy *** (1/9)
9. Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James **** (1/10)
10. Hot Finish by Erin McCarthy *** (1/12)

What a good start to the year! I have three four star reads out of the first 10. I think the first 10 winner should go to the Fast Track series by Erin McCarthy. Read all three and awaiting the next which comes out in March.

message 3: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Jim, you are off to a good start. I only got in 1 so far but hope to finish my second today.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Donnajo, you will beat your goal easily this year. None of that mid-summer let down this year.

message 5: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 65 comments You will probably make it again this year, Jim. I'm going to follow your idea of listing 10 books per post. I had a hard time updating my list last year.LOL

message 6: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Jan 28, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Second group of ten. I figure a new group of 10 every 2.6 weeks and I'll hit my goal. So I'm ahead of schedule now.

11. Fancy Pants by Susan Elizabeth Phillips *** 1/2 (1/14)
12. Dragon Actually by G.A. Aiken ** (1/17)
13. Snowdrops for a Bride by Grace Green ** (1/18)
14. Eternal by V.K. Forrest *** (1/19)
15. Millie's Fling by Jill Mansell *** (1/20)
16. Send No Flowers by Sandra Brown ** (1/22)
17. Lady Be Good by Susan Elizabeth Phillips *** (1/22)
18. Hot Property by Lacey Diamond ** (1/23)
19. Storm Front by Jim Butcher *** (1/27)
20. Paradise Awakening by Jaci Burton *** (1/28)

I'd have to say the book of this grouping is Storm Front. I think it is the one I'm most excited about finding. Sort of a different genre and feel than what I'm used to.

message 7: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Feb 14, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Still moving just ahead of schedule. Nice to build a buffer in case of trouble later.

21. Kiss Me If You Can by Carly Phillips **** (1/29)
22. Perfect For The Beach - Antholgy *** (1/30)
23. Love Me If You Dare by Carly Phillips *** (2/1)
24. The Brazilian's Blackmailed Bride (The Ramirez Brides, #2) by Michelle Reid ** (2/2)
25. Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood *** (2/4)
26. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost **** (2/5)
27. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher **** (2/8)
28. Love at First Flight by Marie Force *** (2/12)
29. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison *** (2/13)
30. One Reckless Summer by Toni Blake **** (2/14)

I think the winner of this group is Halfway to the Grave. I really liked the Cat and Bones interaction. Good stuff.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo It's good to know you liked Storm front I have it as a free one on my nook. also Millie's fling.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Donnajo wrote: "It's good to know you liked Storm front I have it as a free one on my nook. also Millie's fling."

Millie's Fling was a free download. It was a bit different. VERY British. I don't know as though I got all the references, but it was light and fun.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I wasn't going to get the book but I heard good reviews about the author's books so taking a chance. I ended up giving Hot property a 9 rating. It was better than some of the free downloads I've read so far.

message 11: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Hit a snag with a busy couple of weeks. Moving on with group four!

31. I Love Bad Boys anthology ** (2/16)
32. One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost **** (2/16)
33. Drive Me Crazy by Nancy Warren *** (2/19)
34. Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips **** (2/21)
35. Milk in My Coffee by Eric Jerome Dickey *** (2/24)
36. Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch by Jim Norton ** (2/25)
37. Sugar Creek by Toni Blake *** 1/2 (2/26)
38. Treachery in Death by J.D. Robb **** (2/27)
39. Sexy Lexy by Kate Moore *** (3/1)
40. Be My Baby by Susan Andersen *** (3/3)

Favorite book this group? Really tough call. A new JD Robb and a new SEP? Not to mention a really good Cat and Bones book. I think I'll give the winner to SEP this time.

message 12: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Mar 17, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Hoping to not fall too far behind over the next week or so. Very full schedule staring me back in the face.

41. Accidentally Yours by Susan Mallery **** (3/4)
42. Romeo, Romeo by Robin Kaye *** (3/5)
43. Truly Madly Yours by Rachel Gibson *** (3/7)
44. Whisper Falls by Toni Blake ** (3/10)
45. At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost *** (3/12)
46. The Sparkling One by Susan Mallery *** (3/13)
47. The Sassy One by Susan Mallery *** (3/14)
48. The Seductive One by Susan Mallery **** (3/15)
49. The Marcelli Bride by Susan Mallery *** (3/16)
50. The Marcelli Princess by Susan Mallery *** (3/17)

Well this 10 seems to be a Susan Mallery love fest. Accidentally yours had a great middle third and made me feel for the characters but I'll go with The Seductive One for the best overall story.

message 13: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Mar 30, 2011 07:35PM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Past the quarter mark almost two weeks ahead of schedule. Cool. I like a little cushion.

51. The Cove by Catherine Coulter ** (3/18)
52. Guardian by Angela Knight *** (3/20)
53. Secret Fantasy by Carly Phillips ** 1/2 (3/21)
54. Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie **** (3/21)
55. Turn Left At Sanity by Nancy Warren *** 1/2 (3/22)
56. Tempting Turquoise anthology *** (3/24)
57. Bad Boys Down Under by Nancy Warren *** (3/27)
58. Private Sessions by Tori Carrington *** (3/27)
59. Possessing Morgan by Bonnie Edwards *** (3/29)
60. Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost **** (3/30)

Top pick from this month has to be Destined for an Early Grave. I'm already invested in the characters and so much happened in this action packed adventure I don't know how it will all play out in future books.

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Okay having read the Coulter series and enjoyed it. I still have to go back and read the two before the last one. I kind of went ahead when my sister had the library last book and read it. You really need to read this series in order. But I will say some are better than other's. I started reading her books then I met her and that kind of pushed me to read her other ones. I need to update my thread. But I'm only at 33 books. I just finished a lorelel James book on the nook that I got from someone. Need to get back to trying to get though storm front. I'm not too sure yet about that book.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments The odd thing is that I didn't think Storm Front was great, but I liked the way it was written. I liked the characters. I thought, 'if these are the world rules than sure that could happen.' In The Cove I never once thought, 'sure that's possible'. I just didn't like the way it went. Maybe I'll try another some day, but probably not soon.

Get crackin' Donnajo. So many books. So little time.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Yes, I just caught up with my list on the board. 34 so far. I have to say storm front at first I liked it but now it's the middle and it's dragging. Coutler's series there was 1 maybe 2 books of her's that dealt with different storylines in the same book. One I would hate the other was usually good. It was so long ago that I read the cove I have to check back to see what I rated it.
Okay time to get offline, and get crackin' LOL

message 17: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Apr 12, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments April already? But I drove through a snow storm today!

61. The Ex Factor by Nancy Warren *** (4/2)
62. Swap by Jenesi Ash *** (4/4)
63. Sea Swept by Nora Roberts **** (4/5)
64. Rising Tides by Nora Roberts *** (4/6)
65. Inner Harbor by Nora Roberts *** (4/7)
66. Sand, Sun...Seduction!: Enticed\Propositioned\Fevered anthology *** (4/7)
67. Truly, Madly by Heather Webber *** (4/9)
68. Deeply, Desperately by Heather Webber **** (4/10)
69. Chesapeake Blue by Nora Roberts **** (4/10)
70. Only With A Cowboy anthology ** (and maybe a half) (4/12)

Wow, two great series out of this ten. The Nora Roberts Chesapeake series was a lot of fun even if the participants were all a bit too perfect. Having only read the first two Lucy Valentine books I don't know where the series is headed yet, but I like it so far. I'll give the winner of this group to the Nora Roberts books.

message 18: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited Apr 27, 2011 03:50AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Still staying ahead of the goal curve. I like that bit of leeway.

71. The Sooner the Better by Debbie Macomber ** (4/13)
72. Hot Ticket anthology *** (4/14)
73. Body Check by Deirdre Martin *** (4/16)
74. Absolutely, Positively by Heather Webber *** (4/17)
75. Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward **** (4/19)
76. Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen *** (4/20)
77. Succubus on Top by Richelle Mead *** (4/21)
78. Just For Kicks by Susan Andersen *** (4/23)
79. By the Book by Nancy Warren *** (4/24)
80. Under the Boardwalk by Carly Phillips *** (4/27)

Best book of this group? Definitely Lover Unleashed. I love the newest BDB installment.

message 19: by Donnajo (last edited Apr 13, 2011 09:16AM) (new)

Donnajo Glad you enjoyed the Chesapeake series. One of these days I have to squeeze in the last of the chesapeake books and the lucy valentine series. I know the Lucy ones are lendme for the nook so hopefully when I'm ready to read it I'll be able to find a copy. I just finished yesterday a good read on the nook called backstage pass by Olivia Cunning. which I just think might make a rating of 10.
Your book count is good. I think I might be at 51. I had a good count last month with 17 books but this month I'm slowing down with so far I believe 8 books. I have to write I believe the last 2 finished from the nook into the journal then I'll bring my goodreads shelf up to date. I'm hoping to get in one or two Nora books in the next month or so. I know black Hill I need for my book challenge and I think O'Hurley's return which is Skin deep and without a trace which I might have read long ago but it's before journal days if I did. My sister read the one while in florida and bought the book home for me to read. I guess I'll have to locate the rest of the O'hurley series when I get to a ubs.
Happy reading.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Thanks Donnajo. I am about 6 reviews behind. They are entered, but haven't written reviews yet.

Definitely read the last of the Chesapeake books, Seth's story is actually pretty cool. But the Nora Roberts characters are starting to grate on me a bit. Everything is in black and white. 'I am an evil character thus everything I do is motivated by evil!' and 'I am a good character. If there's something that doesn't look right, it's because of a misunderstanding not because sometimes I'm just an ass.'

My wife has the third Lucy Valentine with her on a business trip or I would have burned through that one as well. Really liking them. Reminds me a bit of the Stephanie Plum series but without TSTL and gratingly annoying characters.

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo ugh another series being compared to Stephanie. I like her books so it's hard to compare books to her's. someone said lisa lutz's series is like her's and I only read the first one so far I don't think that. wasn't as crazy for the spellman files. even if Janet evanovich was a advisor of her's when writing the series or getting started. I finally bought my book journal up to date so now I'll do the one on GRs and cover to cover. And I was wrong 8 books for the month and 51 for the year so far. and I just went to the library like I needed another book. I went for my bookpage newspaper and got a book I read that my sister wants to read (fern michaels) and got Rescue by anita shreve for myself. going to the shore tomorrow until monday so undecided if I'm taking it with me since I'm reading Honolulu by Alan brennert and also heartbreaker by Julie garwood (both my own books) I might leave the garwood at home. it's not that I don't have books down there just in case I need something else.
As for Nora's books I enjoy them but probably couldn't do them after each other. Especially with books in a series I get tired of the same characters. That is why I probably have a whole shelf of her books unread. I'll get to the lucy valentine at some point I'm sure heard very good reviews about it.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments See the funny thing is I can't stand the Evanovich books. I've read a few of her contemporary romances and I'm almost always sorry that I did. It's really hard to like a series when you keep hoping the main character gets killed (how I feel about the Stephanie Plum books). But I did like the Spellmans. I've had years where I didn't get much more than 50 done. So there is certainly no shame on your part.

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I wish I kept a book journal when I probably read double the amount of books I read now and I didn't have the time to do it now I have the time and I guess I'm not spending time reading that I can be. Either that or it's the books I'm picking or size of them. I probably could finish at least 20 books a month if I really tried. It would be a kick if I tried to reach that number in a month. Less time online and more time reading.

message 24: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited May 14, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments If May is anything like April, I'll hit halfway a month ahead of schedule.

81. Men of Danger anthology ** (4/28)
82. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler *** (4/30)
83. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning *** 1/2 (5/1)
84. Capture the Rainbow by Iris Johansen ** (5/2)
85. Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James *** (5/4)
87. Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning **** (5/6)
88. Faefever by Karen Marie Moning **** (5/7)
89. Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning **** (5/8)
90. Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning *** (5/11)

The Fever series is the sure winner here.

message 25: by Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (last edited May 23, 2011 11:01AM) (new)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments A busy couple of weeks have certainly slowed my reading down. I suppose worse things have happened. I just can't think of any right now. ;-)

91. Long Hard Ride by Lorelei James *** (5/13)
92. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley *** 1/2 (5/15)
93. First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost **** (5/19)
94. Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost **** (5/20)
95. Smart Mouth by Erin McCarthy *** (5/21)
96. This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost *** 1/2 (5/23)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments I suppose that I should go back and update all of this. I surpassed my 200 goal last week.

message 27: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo WTG. I'm not caught up either but if I can get back on track this month only finished 2 so far. but I've read total 129 so I might just be able to do the 150 goal this year. My summer this year had better counts. was in a reading contest at the bookstore at the shore and came in 2nd place. Got the same price as 1st place around 9 books, a gift certificate and a tote bag. will have to plan ahead for next year when they have it. not that I had a chance at winning first place since that person read 61 books. to my 31 books (from july 1st until around sept. 6th). Hopefully I'll bring my thread uptodate this week at some point.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments I just got behind Donnajo. And then I always found something else to do than go back and list book after book.

WTG on the 2nd place finish BTW.

message 29: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo You are still way behind at least keeping this upto date. I did too but I just did a shorter version from Oct-now. hopefully I'll go back to the old version or something like it in 2012 which I set up already. still have to get in 8 books this year to hit my goal. I kind of skowed down with the reading lately. but I'm still hopeful. spending too much time online. I'll be lucky if I get any books reads in the next two days with the holiday. happy holidays.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Donnajo, you know that I hit my 200 and basically stopped reading. I changed jobs and did so much outside of the book realm that I really didn't have time to read.

but I finished with a dozen or so carryovers.

message 31: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo That's good I was short 4 books. but I know it's possible for me the 150. it was my fault that I didn't read and had the time. so keeping it the same for 2012 and hopefully will reach 150 and pass it up.
Good luck with the new job. By the way, happy new year. I'm close to finish my first book could have did it last night but didn't want to push it. so maybe tonight.