Start by marking “This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)” as Want to Read:
This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)

This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  52,195 Ratings  ·  2,316 Reviews
Danger waits on both sides of the grave.
With the mysterious disappearance of masterless vampires, a species war is brewing between vampires and ghouls that would kill mortals as collateral damage. Cat and Master vampire lover Crispin "Bones" seek help from dangerous ghoul queen of New Orleans Marie, whose voodoo powers rouse ghosts into unstoppable killers of the undead. T
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Avon (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about This Side of the Grave, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cathy I am listening to the audio books. If there is information that is relevant to the full novels, then it should NOT be in the EBOOK version without…moreI am listening to the audio books. If there is information that is relevant to the full novels, then it should NOT be in the EBOOK version without explanation given in the full versions regardless of whether one is listening to the book or holding a physical copy in their hands and reading. Having paid for the book, one would expect to be given all the information needed to understand what the devil is going on. So, is someone going to tell me what the Hell happened to Denise and why she is hanging out with Spade? (less)
Cara Cat states it in the book that currently it's been six years since she met Bones. This book picks up where the last left. Only after she left Bones to…moreCat states it in the book that currently it's been six years since she met Bones. This book picks up where the last left. Only after she left Bones to join Don was there an actual 'gap' in time (in years) between books.(less)

Quinn
Pardon me while I have a little rant. If you’re going to do a spin-off series, then it should be able to be read independently of the original series. Otherwise, it’s not really a spin-off series now, is it? It’s just all part of the one same series. You should NOT be able to spoil either series by not reading the spin-off series in between books of the original series, and vice versa.

Although Frost’s Night Huntress World series is supposed to be a spin-off, it really isn’t. It doesn’t just comp
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 World's Freakiest Bloodsucker Stars

*Spoilers*

First read 2/27/2014 reread 11/26/2015

"Kitten, you've been a vampire for less than a year. During that time, you've blown the head off a Master vampire through pyrokinesis and frozen dozens of vampires into a stupor through telekinesis. Your abilities, plus your occasional heartbeat, are bound to frighten some people."-Bones

photo tumblr_mysw6fhCdH1tox74co1_500_zpszs6yi9jh.gif

"You know, in addition to your mind-reading abilities, I may have absorbed some sluttiness from your blood,"-Cat

The hits just
Alkyoni

Do.Not.Shoot.

I can expl…

I’m not saying that Cat isn’t the epitome of awesomeness.

I’m not saying that Bones isn’t one of the sexiest things out there.

I’m not saying that the side characters aren’t intriguing and fun to hang around with.

But look at the plot people:

Bad guy is after Cat for some ridiculous reason.
Cat goes after the bad guy.
Tones of random stuff happening.
Cat fights the bad guy.
Cat kills the bad guy.
The end.

Sounds familiar, right? You’ve read something like that before and still e
Sophia Triad
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, ghouls, ghosts
"Be still my non-beating heart"

Let's see...
Cat and Bones are in love
Cat and Bones have earth shattering sex (chapter 21 everybody!)
Cat and Bones fight against a deadly enemy (Bad bad ghouls!)

So, not many things happen in this book that move forward the main story. Just Cat feels more comfortable being a full vampire (flying is really awesome).
Mencheres and Kira (Eternal Kiss of Darkness) as well as Denise and Spade (First Drop of Crimson) make an appearance.
And Timmie, Cat's neighbour seven ye
Helen 2.0
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vamps, pnr, own, read-17
Guys, I'm meeting Jeaniene Frost in Orlando at the end of July!!! afaadjfhsohfosndfjzhgljg
Jilly
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever done that thing where you say something and realize it came out very very wrong, and then tried to talk your way out of it, only to continue making it worse? I have... and I'll fill you in later... it counts as the most embarrassing moment of my life. So, I felt much better when Cat has this same problem twice in this book.

I'm hungry enough that both of you are starting to looking really, really good."
Vlad's lips curled. "Is this the part where I'm supposed to remind you that this
Dia
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMG!! yeahhh... that rocks!! I totally thougt that the 4th book was the last... and now she brings out a 5th book!!!?? Jeanine Frost?! I love u!
haha... my fav *kick-ass heroine* vampire book series!! <3

PS.: I think I'll go crazy until it comes out! ...can't wait ^^
Kt
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cat and Bones have had a very rough time of it lately and while they have come out on top in the last few battles, there still were loved ones lost and irreparable consequences. In this latest installment, Cat is still coming to terms with her new, mostly pulse-less status. She was unique as a half vampire, so it makes sense she wouldn't be a normal full one either. However, this spells trouble as a nasty Ghoul is using the threat of the "Red Reaper" to incite a war between the Vampires and Ghou ...more
Rane
I give credit to the Night Huntress series and my GR friends who told me about the greatness of this series from the Bones Train in getting me back into the PNR genre again. Revisiting Cat and Bones is always a fun experience, this time around though I wasn’t engaged like I was in the earlier novels.

Not that I didn’t enjoy this installment of the Night Huntress series, but found it more of a short story/filler in the overall of the series. Much of what happen in this novel was like a repeat on
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.”

My favorite of the series - 'The Side of the Grave' holds the best qualities of the Night Huntress books while mainly leaving the small annoyances behind.

Cat has grown on me more since she's shed some of the annoying, in the face, immature attitude. Bones is still yummy and protective. Their relationship is in no way in the new stages anymore but they still keep it fresh. They work together as a tough team that - while some natural disagree
Deborah Obida
The quality of this series reduced so much in this, Basically nothing happened it was just repetitions of old stuffs and just a little new stuffs. I was bored half way through and the rest part that was new was really fun.

The writing is still great and I adore the character development, the plot not so much.

“As long as you’re with me, I can handle it,” I said, reaching up to touch his face. “I can handle anything with you.”

“I’ll always be with you, Kitten. Always,” Bones rasped before his lips
AH
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Ho hum. Meh. A little slow.

I never would have thought that these would be words to describe a Cat and Bones book. I’ve always loved Cat and Bones and was looking forward to an enjoyable read. I found this book was slower paced and a little bit dull. Don’t get me wrong – there are some great and exciting scenes in the book, but for the most part, it was a dull read for me.

Cat and Bones were a little bland for me this time. Bones is subdued, very calm. Yes, he is still as sexy as only Bones can be
Catarina
4 Awesome Stars.

In this fifth book we have Cat and Bones in the middle of an extreme war.
Ghouls and vampires are starting a war between them and when previous allies suddenly take different sides nothing good can come from that.
Since Cat is under threat she and Bones have to seek help with the most unexpected resources and once again, fight a dangerous war against their lives and this time, against their own species.
But well, Cat is Cat and Bones is Bones and they together are pure awesomenes
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Lonna | FLYLēF
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this fifth installment mainly follows Cat’s mysterious evolution and exploration of her intriguing, mystical powers, it continues to fuel to my desire for more of this lovely couple and their myriad adventures.
MischaS_
It was quite good. Vlad rocks. :D
And I would appreciate more of Ian. He was there like for five minutes and the author almost just mentioned him! Like all interesting characters are being pushed out of the pages to promote other characters that are just simply annoying.
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

I was so excited to get this book, and start reading it as soon as it came out! I've been on Cat & Bones withdrawals because the 4th book in the series was a bit mehh, and then we got 2 books in the Night Huntress World spin-off, and I was not so happy with Spade's, and I did liked Mencheres.

But here we are back with Cat & Bones.... Ahhhh... Opening scene... LOVED IT! I wouldn't mind having him shackled to a cave wall! After that though it started going really slow for me.

The st
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Will Cat and Bones ever get any peace? The answer to that question seems to be a big resounding NO! Thank goodness! Without their ability to piss off everyone in a 100 mile radius I wouldn't be able to obsess over everything about this series! This book continues the vampire vs ghoul war that seems to brewing because of Cat's unusual abilities now that she has been turned in to a vampire. But she not only has the paranormal war to worry about, but her mothers recently forced vampirism and her Un ...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, so this is going to be short and sweet since this is a later-in-the-series book.

I LOVED IT! Now, onto the inside flap cover...

I do have a question, inside flap, isn't Bones missing a nipple? I was looking (ok I was looking really hard) at the picture of Bones and realized his nipple (I think it was his left nipple since I don't have the book in front of me) or at least a portion of his nipple should be showing just on the edge of his leather vest. Ok, I didn't take calculations or anything b
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
5 stars because...

Ghosts are the weirdest thing here. And they go around unexplained much... Just very strange, in my opinion.

And even thought Cat and Bones are still made for each other... I love Vlad, and i ship him with Cat (Vlat)
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love how in this installment of the Night Huntress series, we have Bones and Cat happy.

It may sound cheesy, but there it is. In the last book Destined for an Early Grave, they were so far apart it hurt me to read it. While I love the tension of them at odds with each other, I hate how hard it is to read about what we know is a perfect-for-each-other-couple fighting.

In this book, they aren't fighting with each other. Bones' past isn't thrown in our faces, and they have a sweet and tender moment
Lora
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: devoted fans of the series
Shelves: pr-uf-crossbreed
This truly saddens me. Each of the first four books in this series were astonishingly entertaining, and I had begun to wonder if Frost would ever deliver a book without it being wrapped in perfect packaging and tied with a gorgeous bow.
Unfortunately, that time has come. While I figured Frost would have to hit a plateau eventually, I had hopes that that time would never come. Looks like This Side of the Grave is it. After being so pleased by the first four installments in this series, it is clear
Didi
~~~~ 4 STARS OR 8/10 ~~~~

Do you know what the best thing is about this series?
There are never any cliffhangers used in place of a good story to keep readers invested!

Do you know why people keep coming back to read more?
Because it's not the cliffhanger that keeps us coming, but the incredible stories.

With every instalment there's a build from the previous book but things are always mostly resolved inclusively. This was of course a great read. I love Cat and Bones. They're a perfectly compatible
Arlene
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Arlene by: Buddy Read - Crystal
My review would be a broken record at this point. What can I say that I haven't mentioned already? I love the lore. I love Bones. I love the fierce action. I love Bones. I love the secondary characters especially Vlad. I love Bones. I love the steamy scenes. I love Bones. I love the relationship between Cat and Bones. I love Bones. See broken record.

One of my favorite paranormal series, but I must be clear... it's not a Young Adult book. Definitely not YA...
Lady Heather
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bone's and Cat fans
LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!!

One thing about Ms. Frost's books is that you laugh (out loud), you get excited and thrilled right along with the story .... and yes I was a blithering idiot near the end of the story feeling Cat's pain and loss.

I hope Ms. Frost writes about Ian and Vlad soon... these boys so needs to settle down.
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
5 STARS
This book is AWESOME!!!

*****SPOILERS*******

5th Installment of This Side of the Grave or TSOTG as everyone has
been calling it, totally blew me away. I think I can safely say this is
my fave of all the books in this series. With the exception of Ch 32,
ofcourse.

Cat now a full pledge vampire is learning how to use her powers as
well as her place in the undead world. She has also matured in
everyway. Most importantly her decisions to do things. No more quick
and harsh decisions for our Heroine.
H
Emily May
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011
If I'm honest, this book would have got 4 stars had I not read the other 4 installments in the Night Huntress series. The story, in my opinion, was quite weak and I can't find much to interest me in Marie's character. It's surprising actually because she's another quirky and unique member of Frost's creations, and I so adore all the others. Frost's true gift lies in creating wonderful and memorable characters, with no repetitions amongst them; by that I simply mean all of them are very different ...more
Rhonda
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
****************slight spoiler, not pertaining to the plot*************

Let me start by saying, that, I liked this book. This is the first book in the series that I have given less than 5 stars to. Let me explain.

I love Jeaniene Frost!!! She has given me so many hours of entertainment, whether it’s with the Night Huntress series, or the Night Huntress world. Frost has written some fabulous characters that I love dearly, and have enjoyed watching them evolve, especially Cat and Bones.

I really li
Erica Ravenclaw
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Bored.

So boring. So many paragraphs of things I already knew. So many useless words. I mean, listen, this is typical in the beginning of a long running series, gotta keep the readers in the know and all that jazz. But, the entire book? Nah. Stop. Countless paragraphs started with "I can't do xyz because of that time I did 123 *reference some shit that happened in previous books* then go on to talk about it in detail? Like, I read that book. I KNOW WHY YOU FEEL THIS WAY. WE ARE HALFWAY THROUGH TH
Kristi
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
this was my least favorite so far.
Turning Pages At ...: This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5) by Jeaniene Frost 42 17 Dec 04, 2015 01:00PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Aug 06, 2015 07:34AM
Shut Up & Read: This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost 90 41 Feb 27, 2013 09:38PM
So Now what book? 36 276 Oct 05, 2012 11:01PM
Night Huntress Se...: This Side of the Grave (Book #5) 101 265 Apr 17, 2012 08:04PM
This Side of the Grave ARC Giveaway! 3 69 Apr 05, 2012 03:09PM
FrostFans - The O...: TSOTG Book Club Discussion 1 12 Mar 28, 2012 08:46AM
  • Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • Jabril (Vampires in America, #2)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6)
  • Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Burn the Night (Dark Days, #6)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the upcoming Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps i ...more
More about Jeaniene Frost

Night Huntress (7 books)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Up from the Grave (Night Huntress, #7)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.” (Bones)” 1485 likes
“What the hell was that?” I gasped. “Premature inflammation,” he replied. “Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing. I don’t like to talk about it.” 495 likes