Start by marking “The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

(Mackenzies & McBrides #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  25,282 ratings  ·  2,217 reviews
The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family—rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them—of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz.

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyon
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Leisure Books (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, please sign up.
Jennifer Ashley Yes, Ian Mackenzie has Asbergers Syndrome. I could never say that in the book, because there wasn't a term for it at the time the novel is set…moreYes, Ian Mackenzie has Asbergers Syndrome. I could never say that in the book, because there wasn't a term for it at the time the novel is set (1880s).(less)
Jennifer Ashley Sadly no, not yet. Any producer can talk to me, though. :-)

·  25,282 ratings  ·  2,217 reviews

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Crazy in love Stars

photo 715508_zpsutdhsk3p.gif

First read May 2nd 2015
Reread 8/14/2016
Re reread 6/24/2017

*I love that no matter what mood I'm in or how many times I read this book I can pick it up and get lost in a beautiful love story!*

*Spoilers*

“When I saw you, I knew I had to take you away from him. He had no idea what you were worth, just like he can’t price the damn bowls. He’s a philistine.”

Let me just say that with Historical Romances I either love em or I hate em. I loved this one so much! OMG it was so diffe
Blacky *Romance Addict*
“Is this what love feels like?” he whispered to her. “I don’t like it, my Beth. It hurts too much.”

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This book has a fantastic story.  photo 279453.gif
This book has made me love two women.  photo 279453.gif
This book made me love four men.  photo 279453.gif
This book made me want to read five books at the same time.  photo 279453.gif

This book is in my heart and it will never g
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers - Anyone who loves a hero who needs "fixing"

Edited to add a note from the author which can be found at the end of this review.

Review contains minor spoilers

This is my first read of any of Jennifer Ashley’s works and I was not disappointed, in fact, I was very, very pleased. I found her writing style to be flowing and well thought out, and her ability to weave a tale that kept me wondering, *sighing* and hopeful through the entire novel made this, for me, a story that was “un-put-downable” (Yep, I made up that word. ) *grins*

This is one o
Dina
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Almost everyone who's read this book loved it to pieces, so my expectations were pretty high when I started it. High expectations can be a blessing... or a curse. Now that I finished this read, I can't help wondering what is "wrong" with me because, I'm sorry to say, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I liked Ms. Ashley's writing - this was my 1st book by her - and I thought the premise - the hero is "mad" - was interesting and unique, but the romance didn't work for me. Lust was very
Navessa

(view spoiler)

So, first things first. The male lead in this book, Lord Ian MacKenzie, has Asperger Syndrome.

I just set you on edge, didn’t I? You’re having flashbacks to Real, aren’t you?

Go ahead and release that breath you didn’t realize you’d been holding, because I’m here to tell you that this aspect of the novel is handled very well.

Ian hyper focuses on objects, he’s obsessed with patterns, he
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie established to me that it would be a great read from the first page. Ian is such an unusual hero, and he is thoroughly lovable. And Beth is one of those rare heroines who really does deserve a hero like Ian. Their relationship felt right and it felt meant to be. Watching them grow closer, to acknowledge their unique, rich relationship, was very gratifying. Their bond was emotional, sensual, spiritual, and intellectual. Although there were parts of each other tha ...more
Sammy Loves Books
*****5 ~Wickedly Sinful Stars *****

"I’ve never been with a lady before.
I don’t know the rules."

Lord Ian MacKenzie
Ian

Lord Ian is mad!! Or at least everyone thinks he is. But there is so much more to him than meets the eye. He is a collector of precious things and he wants Beth in his bed!

Beth
Beth

Beth may be a beautiful, rich lady, but she's no angel. From the moment Lord Ian Mackenzie catches her eye, she is
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
★★★★★! Book 1 in the Highland Pleasures series. A gem. The most amazing, memorable and special hero, Lord Ian Mackenzie.

I was not a GR member when I read all my historical romances. Thus I never wrote a review, only rated each book.

Lord Ian Mackenzie (27 years/youngest son of a Duke/$$$/dark brown-auburn hair/amber eyes)
Beth (29 years/widow/dark brown hair/blue eyes)

Ian is on my list of top-100 heroes. For me he is unforgettable! Beth was wonderful - everything Ian needed. She not only settled
Vishous
"Ian cannot do something so simple as hold a woman’s hand. He moves his thumb up my wrist and under my glove, finding points that shoot wild heat through my body. He caresses the inside of my palm with soft fingers, and then he threads his fingers through mine and holds hard, as though teaching me that my hand belongs there with his."

description

I am simply in love with this book!
I am in love with Ian! I am in love with Beth! I am in love with all Ian's brothers!
One of the most beautiful historical romanc
Baba
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

It's beautiful. It's thoughtful. It's special.

"Love you."
The man who couldn't look anyone in the eyes was making himself do it, no matter what the pain. He was giving her a gift, the greatest one he could, straight from his heart.

4.5 stars.

London, 1881
Ian had lived with a raw pain for so long. He doesn't always know how to express his emotions, but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel them deeply. Ian is a special man. He avoids to look people into their eyes and his attention
Ridley
When I picked this book up knowing that it featured a hero with Asperger's, I imagined the crux of the story would be about Beth and Ian learning to love each other despite his emotional detatchment. I didn't feel like I got that.

There's no real discussion of how Ian and Beth came to love each other. I noticed they had great, wall-banging sex often, but that was the extent of the romance, it seems. There were few scenes that showed them interacting with their clothes on over something mundane. S
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
This is one of the best historical romances I have ever read! Beth is a widower, who inherited a small fortune after being a companion to a wealthy elderly woman. She's not exactly noble-rich, but enough that several men have come sniffing around trying to marry her. She catches the eye of Lord Ian Mackenzie, who people say is insane due to his strange public behavior, rages, and inability to act like everyone else in crowds. Ian has Asperger's, but is mainly the "high-functioning" sort. He is a ...more
It's just me Shelly B
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to It's just me Shelly B by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
“You are a rogue and a scoundrel, and I love every single second of it.”

Lord Ian Mackenzie was deemed a lunatic at an early age by the courts and thrown into an asylum until his brother, the Duke, rescued him a few years later. He is known as the "Mad Mackenzie." He has rages and quirks that most people just can't comprehend in this time in history. He is also extremely intelligent and can remember conversations verbatim. Oh yea did I mention is he tall, gorgeous, protective and sexy as hell? We
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was a super cute and enjoyable read! I enjoyed it, especially because of the H. I floved him! My heart broke for all that he went through and how misunderstood he was for his time. I also really appreciated how the h cared for him how he was, and never tried to change who he was. I would recommend this for anybody trying out the HR genre. I don't normally read the HR genre, but this has to be one of my favorites so far 😊

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Beth
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
Rereading after 6 years of reading it for the first time 💜

Still one of my favorite HR ever! This book is so unique. Love Ian and Beth!
Lisa Kay
Wow! How can I rate a book more than five stars? Even after all the hype, this book still held up. I guess all I can do is put it on my “all-time-favorites” bookshelf.
Lord Ian
Lord Ian is intense and he leaped off the pages and into my arms. I wondered how Jennifer Ashley was going to present his POV, since he has Asperger syndrome, and at times it was almost as if it was written by someone else, the tone is so substantially different.

Here is a scene, from the heroine’s POV, from early in the book when
Beatriz
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popsugar-2017
Reto #47 PopSugar 2017: Un libro con un personaje excéntrico
Una historia muy atractiva, una combinación de romance e intriga con personajes que escapan al estereotipo que se suele encontrar en las novelas de este género. Ian tiene un trastorno conductual que en la actualidad es adecuadamente diagnosticado y tratado, pero no sorprende que en la época en que está ambientada la novela se considerara como un tipo de locura y, que quienes lo padecían, terminaran en un manicomio con los horribles tr
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
***Updated 4/12/13***

In my original review, I said I thought I allowed my own expectations to ruin it for me and I was right. After a second read, I was struck by how awesome this book truly is. In fact, it's going on my favorite list, with Ian leading the way. He is a one of a kind character and I adore him.

Original Review:
I went into this book with high expectations due to the high reviews and I think those expectations ruined the book for me. I still liked it though. 3.5 stars.
Richa
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Richa by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them...."

Year: 1881

MADNESS

Some people are mad in love....

When love is not madness, it is not love.
[image error]

Some are mad in passion....

Some are mad in obsession....

And some
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books
I was super excited to read this book, seeing as everyone loved this book, and I love Jennifer Ashley/Allyson James. I was not disappointed. This has one of the best storylines I've ever read. I won't summarize since so many people have reviewed and/or summarized, but can I just say "Wow."

Lord Ian Mackenzie is the youngest of 4 brothers and he has a slight disability. He doesn't understand emotion. For example, he can play a piano piece perfectly after only having heard it once, but he can't fee
Penny
It's ok.

This story is fine, but is not a book I'll be remembering after a while.

I have only given a few historical romance books more than three stars. Maybe it's not the best romance genre for me, or maybe I should't "read" them through audiobooks, I don't know, but I usually don't find them remarkable enough.
However, I keep reading them because three of my favorite romance books of all time are historical romances and I keep hoping I'll find some other book in this genre that will move me a
Mo
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads tells me this is my third time reading this. Well, Goodreads, if I have I am starting to get worried about myself!!! Have zero recollection of the storyline at all. I see I purchased it in 2012 - 6 years ago - so maybe I read it back then but definitely did not read it since then!!! I really enjoyed it.

"Ian, you are so bad for me," she said. He gave her a half smile. "I'm the mad Mackenzie."

"I wouldn't expect love from you. I can't love you back."

My heart broke for Ian for most of
Jilly
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I saw that this historical romance had a lead male character with Asperger's, I just had to read it. I've known a few people with this syndrome and was curious to see how the author would handle the interpersonal relationships between Ian and his loved ones. The people I have known with Asperger's struggle with relationships and have a hard time getting people to understand their mannerisms. Understanding social cues is something that most of us take for granted and don't realize how import ...more
Viri
Le había puesto 4 estrellas en mi reseña del blog, pero es que... es Ian, y LO AMO, soy muy debil cuando se trata de él, así que serán 5 estrellotas esta vez para él.

La verdad ni me acuerdo porque no le puse 5 si la reseña es tan fiel a lo que siento ahora!!!! ajajaj como sea, igual lo amoooooooooooooooooooooo <3
Kat
I had no idea what a cunny was and why the hero wanted to kiss it, but now I do.

Meet Ian. The mad MacKenzie.

He apparently suffers from Aspergers syndrome. I can't say that I wasn't interested to discover how that would work out; a fluffy romance hero with a mental condition to swoon over. But my starting point was expecting to enjoy the interesting edge that Ian's autism would bring to the story.

There's so much going on in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie though, none of which is executed prop
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lord Ian Mackenzie is known as the "Mad Mackenzie" having being shut in a asylum for most of his youth and freed by his brother on his cruel fathers death. But mad or not there is something different about Ian Mackenzie, unable to relate to others and more comfortable on his own, afraid that his rages will hurt someone. But when he see's Beth, he wants her and knows he must save her from a disatrous marriage so he is able to keep her for hisself as his sancturary and also keep her away from the ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Ian is a good man...

I can't write a review for this story, I just can't. There is no way I can do it justice. I read this one years ago and it touched me in a way that many books miss by a smidge. Your heart beats for a man who has spent years frustrated by his perceived shortcomings, yet not able to change. These characters come alive for me and I find myself looking at the siblings like a parent. I wanted to knock their heads together one minute, then call for a group hug the next.

The love sto
Susanne
New review 2/6/13 after re-read

"Do you do this often? Warn a young lady about her fiancé, then turn about and offer to marry her yourself?"

I loved it so much on my first read. And I wrote that "I almost wish I hadn't read it just so that I could read it again for the first time". That was so true! It breaks my heart, but it wasn't as good the second time around. Don't let it daunt you if you haven't read it. It is truly a gem! It is a fantastic piece of romance. It is just that a lot of it is in
Sarah MacLean
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous fabulous book. I can't say enough good things about the deft development of characters, the remarkable pacing and the emotional punch. I loved every word of it. It's an instant favorite, and one I will reread again and again. Brilliant.
Erika
Creating a romance character with Asperger Syndrome (AS) is a very risky thing to do. Although I would say the same with another genres of fiction, with romance it's a lot harder.

A romance fiction requires abundant emotions in it's story, characters, and writing. I have no idea why the author chose AS. I know a few things about AS. There are so many medical conditions and yet she chose to use a psychological development disorder, which has everything to do with limited ability in communicating
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • Always to Remember
  • Suddenly You
  • Flowers from the Storm
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Untouched
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards, have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her b

Mackenzies & McBrides (10 books)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)
“We don't fit in, you and me," he said. "We're both oddities no one knows what to do with. But we fit together." He took her hand, pressed her palm to his, then laced their fingers through each other's. "We fit.” 110 likes
“Ian closed his eyes. Beth watched emotions flicker across his face, the uncertainty, the stubbornness, the raw pain he’d lived with for so long. He didn’t always know how to express his emotions, but that didn’t mean he didn’t feel them deeply.
When Ian slowly opened his eyes, he guided his gaze directly to Beth’s. His golden eyes shimmered and sparkled, pupils ringed with green. He held her gaze steadily, not blinking, or shifting away.
“I love you,” he said.
Beth caught her breath, and sudden tears blurred her vision.
“Love you,” Ian repeated. His gaze bore into hers harder than Hart’s ever could hope to. “Love you, love you, love you, love you, love you, love you…”
83 likes