Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > October: Horror & Paranormal Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2013 09:40AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments  photo BooHauntedHouseGhostScaring_zpsd42ff0e4.gif
Okay, as most of you know October 31st in the US is Halloween. So in honor of the holiday we've decided to have a horror/paranormal themed challenge. There are 3 levels.

Easy - 3 to 4 books This challenge is a spell it out Challenge of three to four letter words you may hear a lot around this time of the year. As always you may use the title, name of characters, or the name of an author to link it to the letters.You may ignore the 'A', 'An', 'The', etc. at the beginning of titles to get to the first significant word. So "The Virgin's Secret" would be a 'V' title and "A Highlander Christmas" would be an 'H' title." You pick which word you want or come up with one we haven't.

Bat
Boo
Eek
Bite
Howl
 photo bat_zpsa51c1ce2.gif  photo bat_zpsa51c1ce2.gif  photo bat_zpsa51c1ce2.gif
Moderate - 5 - 12 books Another spell it out challenge. Read 5 to 12 books. As always you may use the title, name of characters, or the name of an author to link it to the letters.You may ignore the 'A', 'An', 'The', etc. at the beginning of titles to get to the first significant word. So "The Virgin's Secret" would be a 'V' title and "A Highlander Christmas" would be an 'H' title." You pick which word/phrase you want or come up with one we haven't.

Broom
Demon
Fangs
Ghost
Ghoul
Scary
Spell
Witch
Yikes
Goblin
Horror
Scream
Spooky
Dhampir
Vampire
Cauldron
Werewolf
Halloween
Goosebumps
Paranormal
Witchcraft
Poltergeist
Witchdoctor
Jack-o'-lantern
Trick or Treat

Difficult - Read 13 or more paranormal, horror, or mystery books. Yes, I ran out of words.lol So either read the books straight up or combine words to get the length you desire.

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm doing this challenge! I have to think about which category though...

message 3: by Sashana (new)

Sashana BTW, I love the bat :)

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I'm going to give it a try!

message 6: by Becky (last edited Sep 30, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments GHOULS is my word of the month.

G Gena Showalter: The Darkest Night
H How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks
O Once an Angel by Teresa Medeiros
U Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson
L Lara Adrian: Veil of Midnight
S Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss

Completed 0/6

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 185 comments I'm going to go for difficult and read 13. If I can though I'm going to try and read more.

1 - Bound To Shadow – Keri Arthur
2 - Tales of the Otherworld – Kelley Armstrong
3 - Bound To Love Her – Esri Rose
4 - The Darkest Passion – Gena Showalter
5 - Sea Fever – Virginia Kantra
6 - After Sundown – Amanda Ashley
7 - A Whisper of Eternity – Amanda Ashley
8 - Edge of Danger – Rhyannan Byrd
9 - One and Only – Bianca D'Arc
10 - Storm of Visions – Christina Dodd
11 - Kiss of Death – Rachel Caine
12 - Captive Souls
13 - The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner – Stephenie Meyer

Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian, #8) by Keri Arthur Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong Bound To Love Her by Esri Rose The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter Sea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2) by Virginia Kantra After Sundown (Vampire Trilogy, #2) by Amanda Ashley A Whisper Of Eternity by Amanda Ashley Edge Of Danger (Primal Instinct, #2) by Rhyannon Byrd One and Only (Brotherhood of Blood, #1) by Bianca D'Arc Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1) by Christina Dodd Kiss Of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8) by Rachel Caine Captive Souls by Vivi Anna The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Angie and Becky, I love Gena Showalter's Lord of the Underworld series. I think I've read them all.

Becky, I started collecting Christina Dodd's The Chosen Ones series, but haven't started reading it. I've got the last 2 books. I love her historical romances so I hope I like this series. It's interesting how so many authors are crossing over.

message 9: by Becky (last edited Sep 29, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments I've always wanted to try Christina Dodd, but I always find something else to read instead. I will have to look into her in November.

This is also my first Gena book and I am really excited!

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I'm going to try the difficult.
(Tenative List)

1. My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent
2. X-Isle by Steve Augarde
3. You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister
4. Wings by Aprilynne Pike
5. Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh
6. Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
7. Mortal Sins by Eileen Wilks
8. Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
9. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
10. Kamikaze by Moria Rogers
11. Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson
12. Immortals: The Crossing by Joy Nash
13. Dracula by Bram Stoker

message 11: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 29, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I downloaded Dracula for Kindle on my iPad for free. I need to read it.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I downloaded Dracula for Kindle on my iPad for free. I need to read it."

I also downloaded it on my kindle as well as several other classics and just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Thankfully one of my challenges next month is to read a classic horror story (ie. Dracula), so hopefully I will finally get it read.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sounds like fun.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments It will be different since I have been in a PNR rut for so long, but I'm trying to diverify.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm trying to diversify as well. I've been in a romance and PNR rut for over a year. I'm thinking of going into mystery. I've been meaning to read Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series and finish James Patterson's Women's Murder Club. I bought a handful of the Eve Duncan series, but haven't read any of it. I'm about 3 books in to the Women's Murder Club. I got distracted by other books and need to get back to them.

message 16: by Say (new)

Say (say_22) | 21 comments im in...ill post as i go...i probably choose mod. 5-12 books and the word FANGS!!!

message 17: by Angela (last edited Oct 27, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments I'm done!

D: Destined for an Early Grave, Jeaniene Frost DONE Oct 8/10
E: Eternal Kiss of Darkness, Jeaniene Frost DONE Oct 22/10
M: Marked, PC Cast DONE Oct 7/10
O: One Foot in the Grave, Jeanine Frost DONE Oct 2/10
N: Angels’ Blood, Nalini Singh DONE OCT 27/10
S: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson DONE Oct 2/10

Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

message 18: by Valorie (last edited Oct 04, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Valorie I think I'm going to try for 13 also...

2/13 Done

1. Mercy Thompson: Homecoming by Patricia Briggs 10/2 ***
2. A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison 10/4 ****
3. Fallen Angel by Margaret Weis
4. A Charmed Death by Madelyn Alt
5. Original Sin by Allison Brennan
6. Scent of Darkness by Christina Dodd
7. Dane by Elizabeth Amber
8. Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine
9. Gone by Lisa McMann
10. Buttercup Baby by Karen Fox
11. Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward
12. Watchers in the Night by Jenna Black
13. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Mercy Thompson Homecoming (Mercedes Thompson, Prequel) by Patricia Briggs A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1) by Tracy Madison Fallen Angel by Margaret Weis A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt Original Sin (The Seven Deadly Sins, #1) by Allison Brennan Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Dane (The Lords of Satyr, #5) by Elizabeth Amber Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) by Rachel Caine Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann Buttercup Baby (Magical Love) by Karen Fox Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night, #1) by Jenna Black Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments One of these days I will read Frankenstein and Dracula.

message 20: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Lisarenee wrote: "One of these days I will read Frankenstein and Dracula."

I really liked Dracula, so when you get the chance read it!

message 21: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I downloaded it so it's just a matter of time. I just have to stop reserving library books. I let the due dates dictate what I read. I need to stop the library madness. :)

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments 2/13 Complete

1. My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent
2. The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe
3. You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister 10/2/2010
4. Wings by Aprilynne Pike
6. Frostbite by Richelle Mead
9. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia 10/4/2010

message 23: by Jessica (BookRockGoddess) (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton (bookrockgodess) I am going to try the 13 too. I think it will be challenging but fun:

12/13 DONE

1. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris DONE 10/4/10
2. Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris DONE 10/6/10
3. Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh DONE 10/10/10
4. Fire by Kristin Cashore DONE 10/19/10
5. Juliet by Anne Fortier DONE 10/1/10
6. Beastly by Alex Flinn DONE 10/1/10
7. A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn DONE 10/2/10
8. Daniel X: Demons and Druids by James Patterson
9. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore DONE 10/13/10
10. Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward DONE 10/11/10
11. Sunshine by Robin McKinley DONE 10/16/10
12. The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan DONE 10/16/10
13. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer DONE 10/15/10

Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Juliet by Anne Fortier A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn Beastly by Alex Flinn Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) by Carrie Ryan Sunshine by Robin McKinley I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments GHOULS is my word of the month.

G Gena Showalter: The Darkest Night 10/7
H How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks
O Once an Angel by Teresa Medeiros
U Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson
L Lara Adrian: Veil of Midnight
S Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss

Completed 1/6

message 25: by Valorie (new)

Valorie 4/13 Done

3. Fallen Angel by Margaret Weis 10/5 ***
4. A Charmed Death by Madelyn Alt 10/6 ***
9. Gone by Lisa McMann
13. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Mercy Thompson Homecoming (Mercedes Thompson, Prequel) by Patricia Briggs A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1) by Tracy Madison Fallen Angel by Margaret Weis A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt Original Sin (The Seven Deadly Sins, #1) by Allison Brennan Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd Dane (The Lords of Satyr, #5) by Elizabeth Amber Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) by Rachel Caine Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann Buttercup Baby (Magical Love) by Karen Fox Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night, #1) by Jenna Black Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Becky listed:
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks

I so love that name.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments 4/13 Complete

1. My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent 10/7/2010
4. Wings by Aprilynne Pike 10/8/2010
6. Frostbite by Richelle Mead

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments I noticed all of her books have great titles!

message 29: by Valorie (new)

Valorie 5/13 Done

9. Gone by Lisa McMann
13. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 10/8 ****

message 30: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 09, 2010 10:17PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Angie, I lover your pumpkin counter. It is so cool.

Becky, Are Kerrelyn Sparks books as good as her titles?

Valorie, How was Frankenstein?

message 31: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Lisarenee wrote: "Angie, I lover your pumpkin counter. It is so cool.

Becky, Are Kerrelyn Sparks books as good as her titles?

Valorie, How was Frankenstein?"

I really enjoyed it! I've been kind of surprised that I've enjoyed the last few classics (Dracula & Frankenstein) that I've read. I wouldn't think they would be as interesting because of the age of the books, but they were really good. I guess that's why they are considered classics!

message 32: by Valorie (new)

Valorie 7/13 Done

8. Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine 10/9 ***
9. Gone by Lisa McMann
12. Watchers in the Night by Jenna Black 10/10 ***
13. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 10/8 ****

message 33: by Lauren (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:59PM) (new)

Lauren | 931 comments H Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall
O
W When You Reach Me
L The Lovely Bones

Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments 6/13 Complete

1. My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent 10/7/2010
4. Wings by Aprilynne Pike 10/8/2010
6. Frostbite by Richelle Mead 10/10/2010
10. Kamikaze by Moria Rogers 10/9/2010

message 35: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lacy, you are officially my challenge idol.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Thanks! *blushes* I don't really think that I am an idol. I just don't have a life.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Haha a life of reading sounds pretty good to me :)

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lol, join the crowd. You're in a lot of the challenges and you manage to get them all done.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments That is mainly my OCD. I hate starting something that I can't finish and since I read all the time anyway I figure I might as well challenge myself.

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lauren wrote: "Haha a life of reading sounds pretty good to me :)"

Lauren, are you at school too?

message 41: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lacy wrote: "That is mainly my OCD. I hate starting something that I can't finish and since I read all the time anyway I figure I might as well challenge myself."

My mom is the same way. Sadly I didn't inherit that from her.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments That's okay. Someday you may be gald that you didn't inherit that gene.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Sashana wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Haha a life of reading sounds pretty good to me :)"

Lauren, are you at school too?"

School as in college? No, not yet.

message 44: by Sashana (new)

Sashana No I mean school in general. Like I'm in third period now.

message 45: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lacy wrote: "That's okay. Someday you may be gald that you didn't inherit that gene."

Lacy, it seems to me that people always want what they can't have-myself included.

message 46: by Lauren (last edited Oct 11, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Oh no... Today is Columbus Day, so we have off. When do you go on goodreads in school?

message 47: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I usually go on when my teachers are absent (like today, I have a sub :). We still have school even though it's CD :(

message 48: by Lauren (last edited Oct 11, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Sneaky Sashana... Lol. We don't have personal computers/laptops in our school. Just 7 or 8 in a classroom plus a laptop cart... And 2 computer labs

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 67 comments Valorie,
This actually is my first Kerrelyn Sparks book, I have looked at the series for a while (how I know her books have fun titles) and finally decided to give her series a try.

message 50: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lauren wrote: "Sneaky Sashana... Lol. We don't have personal computers/laptops in our school. Just 7 or 8 in a classroom plus a laptop cart... And 2 computer labs"

Hmm, Sneaky Sashana, I like it :). It wasn’t really sneaky though because I had to finish all of my work before the sub let me out. Maybe it’s the number of kids who go to your school; my school has 1700 kids so we need lots of computers.

« previous 1 3