Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

“Buddy Read” > Would you read it with me?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 461 (461 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments This is a thread where you can ask other people to read a specific book with you. You can suggest a book or get one (or more) people to join you and then decide on a book! You can also discuss the book you are reading in this thread as well. So beware, this thread MAY contain SPOILERS!

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle and I are going to read The Gilded Web by Mary Balogh near the end of September, anyone who is interested in reading this book along with us is welcome!

The Gilded Web (Web, #1) by Mary Balogh

message 3: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 125 comments Neat idea Megan!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Thanks!

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I read it already but I'll discuss it.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Okay, so I finished The Gilded Web. I was really disappointed! Although I loved the secondary characters and will be reading the next two books in the trilogy sometime in the future. How are you coming along with this book Michelle? ;o)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "Okay, so I finished The Gilded Web. I was really disappointed! Although I loved the secondary characters and will be reading the next two books in the trilogy sometime in the future...."

Sorry, I haven't gotten very far. Work has been crazy and doesn't look like it'll be calming down anytime soon :(

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I really, really disliked the heroine. I felt she kept pulling stuff just to get a reaction. And it's like she had no common sense, just wanted her freedom which was really non-existent at that time. She drove me absolute bananas and the way it ended, I just wanted to smack her. She had to make the hero practically crawl at her crying before she would admit that she loved it. She was such a B**CH!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I sooooooooooooooo agree with you Carolyn! I really, truly HATED the heroine!! And when you dislike one of the main characters there really is no chance to like the book as a whole. I wanted to slap her too!! UGGGGGH!! She was beyond frustrating!!

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Oct 06, 2010 10:23PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I've owned a copy of Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey for a long time now, and would love to finally get started on the Kushiel's Legacy series. If anyone is interested in reading this one, please let me know.

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I'll go in on it. This is such a huge book though. How long do we have to read it?

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I'll go in on it. This is such a huge book though. How long do we have to read it?"

Hmmm..... At 900+ pages, I'd like to say let's take as long as we need too, LOL! If it's as good as I've heard, it shouldn't take too long to get through it. What time frame do you think is reasonable?

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I'll read it between other books starting next week. But who knows how long it will take. I have about 5 of these books, but haven't read any of them yet. If it grabs me, I'll probably just read it through. I heard it's intense.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I'll read it between other books starting next week. But who knows how long it will take. I have about 5 of these books, but haven't read any of them yet. If it grabs me, I'll probably just read..."

I think I'll read it between other books too. I worry that a book this size might have those slow moments that make it difficult to get through.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm going to start working on Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey this weekend. Of course I'll be reading it in bits and pieces.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I'll start then too. I'll go pull it out later today. We'll see how far we get :)

message 17: by Mess67miss (new)

Mess67miss | 4 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm going to start working on Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey this weekend. Of course I'll be reading it in bits and pieces."

I think I'll join you guys. It'll take me a while though.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I've at least pulled it out. That's a huge step for me. I will start it at the end of this week. :)

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I've at least pulled it out. That's a huge step for me. I will start it at the end of this week. :)"

That's about as far as I've gotten too. I plan to read a few pages this afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I started it! I'm finding it an uncomfortable read right now but I'm only on page 58. I'm going to keep going though!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I started it! I'm finding it an uncomfortable read right now but I'm only on page 58. I'm going to keep going though!"

It's sooooooooooooooo long, I'm thinking I'll know how I feel about 1/3 of the way through.

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I think the same thing Michelle. I'm kind of grossed out right now.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Can you believe that I can't find my copy of Kushiel's Dart?! I've looked all over, and I can't find it anywhere. The invisible book thief must've taken it. :o(

message 24: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments As soon as you give up, you'll find it!

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I read Kushiel's Dart a couple years back, and the 2nd and 3rd in the series too. Don't remember much about it, though I did like it a lot, b/c I flew through it and read the sequels too... perhaps a re-read would be good for me.

message 26: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments To fly through these big books must mean you really enjoyed it. I keep hearing how good they are so I'm going to keep reading. I have a ton of this series and the other one she wrote within the same world.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "As soon as you give up, you'll find it!"

I found it! I'm packing for a move, and found in a box of books. I don't how I managed to pack it away when I'm currently reading it. Hmmm.....

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "To fly through these big books must mean you really enjoyed it. I keep hearing how good they are so I'm going to keep reading. I have a ton of this series and the other one she wrote within the s..."

I know! To hear of someone flying through this series gives me some hope. I'm only on page 20, so I'm hoping to catch up to you tonight.

message 29: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Started my re-read last night. I'm on about pg 100 right now. So far so good, though idk if I like all the foreshadowing Phedre does, especially when she's talking about her childhood then says "but had I know such and such, things wouldn't have turned how they did" etc, that kind of takes me out of the current scene like "huh? get back to what you were talking about". And loads of hard to pronounce names and places and such.

message 30: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Megan,
In another group we call this "buddy reads" and once people have agreed to read a particular book, a separate thread is created to keep that books posts together for easy access. Would it be possible to start a different thread for each book?

It's really hard to figure out what book is being discussed.

And it would be easier for the members to join a "buddy" read if they could find the actual posts for that instead of having to read through everyone's comments about other books.

Just a thought.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Hi Barbara,

That's a good idea, and so far Michelle has posted a seperate thread for Kushiel's Dart. And of course because it's a public group anyone can post a new thread anywhere at anytime. So far though I don't think there is another "buddy" book being read together.

message 32: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ yes I just now saw the other thread. I have that book and can't fit it into my schedule for December but maybe in January I can join this.

This month I'm going to be reading Blue-Eyed Devil,Under Her Skin and Carnal Innocence if anyone would like to read with me, please let me know.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Would anyone like to read Afterlight (The Dark Ink Chronicles, #1) by Elle Jasper with me? I probably won't start reading it until the first week of January, maybe the second week.

message 34: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) i have that one on my Kindle. Not guaranteeing I'll get to it in January since I'll be having to catch up on review books since I spend December reading Christmas and not review books, but if I get a chance to squeeze it in I'll discuss with you.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kelley wrote: "i have that one on my Kindle. Not guaranteeing I'll get to it in January since I'll be having to catch up on review books since I spend December reading Christmas and not review books, but if I get..."

Ok :)

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Dec 28, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning is due to hit the shelves on Jan 18th. It's the 5th and final book in the Fever series. I'm a huge fan of this series, and I plan on getting my copy as soon as the bookstore opens. If anyone else has plans on reading it that soon, I'd love someone to discuss it with. Anybody?

Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have sooooo many books that I've bought and have yet to read. I have to start chipping away at some of my series. Would anyone like to tackle Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire series or Larissa Ione's Demonica series? I think both of those series only have four or five books each.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I've read the Gardella Vampire series (VERY GOOD!!) and I have only read the 1st one in the Demonica series- so I'd be happy to read that one with you, I'd have to start the 2nd one when you got there. I need motivation to start that back up again, I didn't like the first one very much (which is weird, they get such awesome reviews... it was just too complicated for me- and I didn't think I NEEDED to be).

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I've read the Gardella Vampire series (VERY GOOD!!) and I have only read the 1st one in the Demonica series- so I'd be happy to read that one with you, I'd have to start the 2nd one when you got t..."

Thanks Megan!

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Okay- because Michelle and I have now both finished Shadowfever by KMM we NEED to start her Highlander series instead of the Deominca series because we need something to read until her spin-off series is published!! Please join us if you want!

message 41: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "Okay- because Michelle and I have now both finished Shadowfever by KMM we NEED to start her Highlander series instead of the Deominca series because we need something to read until her spin-off ser..."

I finished it too. :-) And i have the entire Highlander series in audio also so I'm game!

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments If anyone's interested, I'm going to be reading Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead before the end of the month. It's being released on the 22nd of this month.

Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 16, 2011 10:44PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, I'm out of the 120's. I am now #92 on the wait-list for the audiobook of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson . Think I'll get it in time for the August BOM reading? Ha!

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Yeah, I'm out of the 120's. I am now #92 on the wait-list for the audiobook of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson. Think I'll get it in time for the August BOM reading? Ha!"

LOL! That's how I'm starting to feel about my Outlander cd's from the library.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2011 12:30AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I got the audiobook from the library! Can you believe it? I don't know how, unless other people declined. Of course, the library will take it back now, by 8/15. So, I'll have to start early. I guess I can make notes, plus, I have the paperback (if I can find it).
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2011 12:31AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Maybe 92 was just the total number of people wanting the book and not telling me where I was on the list. Hmmmm...
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Maybe 92 was just the total number of people wanting the book and not telling me where I was on the list. Hmmmm...
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson"

92? Wow! I went to Borders last night before closing to check out their audiobooks. They were all picked over, and they didn't have this one or Outlander.

message 48: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I tried Outlander as an Audiobook, (my first audio book ever) and really wasn't a fan of being read to. Now I'm getting monthly credits through an audible.com account that I know I wont be using. Is there a way I can transfer these credits if someone else is interested in them?

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I have no idea if there is a way, but I would love to have them. :)

message 50: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Coolio, Lisa, I'll look into how that may be doable. I'd hate for them to go to waste.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10