Start by marking “Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)

Dragon Unleashed

(Fallen Empire #2)

A dragon shapeshifter and a healer with power over the earth fight a corrupt empire in this thrilling and deeply emotional romantic fantasy from the USA Today bestselling author of Radiance.

Magic is outlawed in the Krael Empire and punishable by death. Born with the gift of earth magic, the free trader Halani keeps her dangerous secret closely guarded. When her uncle buys
Published June 9th 2020 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Unleashed, please sign up.
Janelle Chapman This story focuses on Halani, who is the free trader from Phoenix Unbound and Malachus, who we have not seen before. It is not a continuation of Gilen…moreThis story focuses on Halani, who is the free trader from Phoenix Unbound and Malachus, who we have not seen before. It is not a continuation of Gilene's story. I think Mrs. Draven said somewhere that this series will focus on three different couples, but I'm blanking on where she said that. She may have said it on her Facebook page. (less)
Elisa At the risk of being completely precocious, I'm going to answer my own question! I tweeted the author, and she confirmed that there's going to be a th…moreAt the risk of being completely precocious, I'm going to answer my own question! I tweeted the author, and she confirmed that there's going to be a third book called Raven Unveiled! (less)

Start your review of Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)
Melanie
Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read

ARC provided by DAW in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Phoenix Unbound ★★★★

*the heaviest of breathing*

Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Blog | Spotify | Twitch
Robin (Bridge Four)
Release Day

Phoenix Unbound was one of my favorite books of 2018, so Dragon Unleased had a hard act to follow. It’s a really great story full of longing, deception, lore and danger. I liked so many things about it but I didn’t love it quite as much as the first book of the series. Just remember it was a really high bar.

Halani has travelled with a trading caravan for most of her life. She is a gifted healer with earth magic. Magic welding of any kind is outlawed so Halani has hid the source of he
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

——————

jan 2019 pre-review:
OH MY GOD I LOVED PHOENIX UNBOUND SO MUCH AND WE'RE FINALLY OFFICIALLY GETTING THE SEQUEL TO LOOK FORWARD TO HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS SOONER I AM S C R E A M I N G G G G G G
Hollis
Much like my experience with PHOENIX UNBOUND, book one in the Fallen Empire series, I have very mixed feelings over this read. Mostly because I have adored so many of Draven's stories and want to support this well-deserved achievement in being lifted up by one of the big publishing houses. But the reality is this just seems like such a lesser offering than all her previous tales.

I remember saying it in my review for book one, but this writing? It doesn't feel at all like Draven. I feel so remove
Mara
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, physical-owned
Oh Grace Draven, you never fail to deliver. OK, upfront, the con on this book is pacing-- it's really back heavy in action, which means the front half feels far too slow. BUT-- who cares, honestly? We've got a bomb ass fantasy world. We've got compelling, nuanced characters with interesting backstories and motivations. We've got an absolutely delicious slow burn-y romance. We've gotten beautiful prose and descriptions. All around-- this was so satisfying, and I think folks who struggled with the ...more
Xia ✻.
DNF 30%

A pity. I loved the previous one but this is not holding my attention right now.
Maybe i'll try again in the future.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
I can't remember the last time it took me so long to read a book. I am going to credit that to the things going on my life...mostly. I do think that part of the reason it took me so long to make my way through this book is that it was a rather slow-moving story. I never disliked the book but I always seemed to find it easy to set aside. I did like the book and found the characters to be well done. It seemed like the bulk of the action took place at the end of the book and I would
Erika ♥OwlwaysReading♥
This cover is gorgeous and this book is by Grace Draven so it will be mine!

And I will LOVE it! I will love it more than this cute baby panda loves his ball.
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Dragon Unleashed
Series: Fallen Empire #2
Author: Grace Draven
Release date: June 9, 2020
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: Fantasy, romance

Book one in this series, Phoenix Unbound hit my all-time favorites list when I read it a couple of years ago. It's one of those rare books that's in a league above all others, almost untouchable. I loved it that much. Now you understand what the follow up had to live up to. There was a considerable wait for Dragon Unleashed (not that I'm complaining), but as usual,
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/06/08/...

It’s official, Grace Draven is now my go-to author for fantasy romance. I adored Phoenix Unbound, the first book in the Fallen Empire sequence, namely because she treated the story and the characters with as much care and importance as the romance. Now she returns to the world with a second novel, Dragon Unleashed, which follows a new set of protagonists and thus can be read as a standalone.

Opening once more on the Krael E
Brittany
Dec 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
WE HAVE A COVER and it’s a BEAUTIFUL thing.... and that title ?!?!?! Excuse me while I freak out :P
Stacey is Sassy
I got there in the end...

After absolutely LOVING Phoenix Unbound, I was so excited to move onto Dragon Unleashed.

Holy Shamoly, that was a wee bit of a hard slog. Instead of watching my progression dreading it coming to an end, I was rolling my eyes in frustration with how many hours I had left till the end.

After meeting Halani in Phoenix Unbound, I was looking forward to getting to know her better. It just felt that there wasn't much more than what I already knew. Sure, we got to find out why
Jen Davis
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Grace Draven and I was beyond stoked when this book arrived on my doorstep. It cut in line ahead of all the other books I had waiting to read and I dove in on the very same day.

It took me a while to get into it. Like half the book. To the point where I had to push myself to keep reading, reminding myself of how much I've enjoyed this author's other work and the idea that eventually the magic would kick in.

It did. The second half was awesome and all that I'd been waiting for
Minni Mouse
May 04, 2019 is currently reading it
I may not have loved Phoenix Unbound but let's be real -- if it's a Grace Draven fantasy, I'm reading it. ...more
Lover of Romance
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Ace in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Dragon Unleashed is the second book in the "Fallen Empire" series by the epic Grace Draven. It seems like forever since we had the first book "Phoenix Unbound" and the story starts off around the time of the epilogue of the first book. We get to see the reunion again of Azarion and Gilene. So that
Alexandra
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, devoured this book in one sitting! I knew that this had to do with draga and Halani and I couldn't be more excited! While the first book dealt with enemies to lovers this one was a slow burn of friends turned to lovers. Filled with lush descriptions, amazing world-building, and the Empress lurking in every corner searching for Malachus, I felt like I had be
Melliane
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I had had a really good time with the first volume and I was curious to discover this second story.

If we don’t follow the same character as in the first volume, Gilene and her husband are also present for our greatest pleasure! But this time we follow the story of Halani and Malachus. An encounter that will change them both!

It was a real pleasure to be back in Grace Draven’s world and I had a great time with the story. I may not have been as hooked as I
☕️Kimberly
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are back in the Krael empire where magic is outlawed. Halani, born with the gift of earth magic, is a free trader in her uncle’s caravan. Her Uncle buys a piece of bone belonging to a dead draga, but Halani senses it is more. Most of the world believes the dragas are gone from this world, but they live among them disguised as human.

Meanwhile, Malachus is living on borrowed time. The magic that’s protecting him will soon turn on him. He must find a key part of his heritage. He has tracked it t
Douglas Meeks
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well I was a bit surprised to see that this story was about the new couple of Halani and Malachus but we do get a glimpse of our previous couple. The story revolves around the search for an item that Malachus must have to fulfill his destiny and much to his dismay and as much as he tries he cannot stop his attraction and eventual love for Halani. This story while I am giving it 4.5 stars rounded up to 5 was not the usual "can't put it down" attraction I have for her other books and felt it dragg ...more
TJ
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0

An absolutely fabulous fantasy love story! Superbly written romance and deftly executed plot. It inhabits intrigue and adventure while diving deep into relationships and growth. NOT easily accomplished in any book but one beautifully done in this story.

My only complaint is that we desperately need at least a little time to enjoy the hard-earned happiness these characters have won. As it stands the very minute we can smile, the last page turns. Even a short epilogue would satisfy.
aarya
DNF at 22%

I’m having a lot of trouble becoming invested in this book. It’s slow and I don’t care about the characters yet. Not for me, but I hope I’m an anomaly among Draven’s fans. I love fantasy, but I don’t want to read over half a book before I start caring about the romance.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars. Enchanting story as always, lyrical and beautifully written. But it was sooooo slow. Per usual with Draven, the story is character rather than plot driven. That’s normally fine with me, but both parts were a bit weak here. The climax was great, but it was a long meandering road getting there. Azarian and Gilene were minor secondary characters, it was nice to see glimpses of them.
Isabel
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I am honestly quite unsure about this book, at one hand I didn't LOVE it as I did with book number one but it was a good story, it just didn't hit it off with me. It wasn't like a continuance of a series.
Halani is someone who I could relate to, and how she was things and how she sacrificed for her family was very moving. But however, the abuse she has had to endure on the hands of her uncle (yes I think of its as abuse) with pressuring her because of her mum left a really bad taste in my mouth.
nastyako
Jun 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I anticipated this book so much, I preordered it. I devoured the first one. Also I've seen some reviews saying this one is a slow-burn. I'm sorry, where? Main characters think how the other one is hot the first time they see each other. Want slow burn, try Daughter of the Forest. The problem here is a total lack of chemistry between our lovebirds and a very boring plot. And chemistry between leads in romance is kinda paramount. I never read Grace Draven book I was painfully bored with. Till now. ...more
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Fantasy / Romance
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Dragon Unleashed, by author Grace Draven, is the second installment in the authors Fallen Empire series. As this is the second installment in the Fallen Empire series, you would be best served if you have some semblance of knowledge as to the world that this story takes place in. I say that because the main characters from Phoenix Unbound (Gilene and Valden) show up in this story briefly. This story focuses on Halani, who is the
Luckylovesbooks
June 22, 2020 DNF @ 50%

I love, love Grace Draven but I am really struggling with this book. It’s is super sloooowwwwwww. Because Malachus is a dragon, I though there would be a lot of action and adventure. So far, they’re still in the caravan. Nothing is happening. I may just shelve this one.
Don’t get me wrong, objectively speaking, the books is great. Personally however, it didn’t work for me.

Sept 10, 2019
2020?! Wha???
KatieR
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Grace Draven ends her books so soon after the climax, I always feel like I'm missing something. This has a quick epilogue that is very nice, but I'd love to see the two main characters as they move forward. Especially since all is not close to sweetness and light in the world around them.

It was nice to see the main characters from Phoenix Unbound Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1) by Grace Draven in the early part of the book. Especially since their book ended kind of suddenly too.

Halani, who was one of the characters who befriended Gilen
Lindsay
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Continuing where the first book left off with the caravan of free traders that the protagonists of the first book stayed with, we have Halani, a powerful earth mage who must hide her ability from the Kraem Empire where magic is punishable by death. Halani's caravan comes into possession of a small piece of dragon bone that she warns them off of but is ignored.

Dragon shifter Malachus must find the bone or be consumed by the draga within him as it tries to escape its human prison. When he tangles
Kara-karina
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read Dragon Unleashed within a week of starting it, but had to re-arrange my thoughts for a few weeks before I was comfortable enough to share them with you.

Taken on its own, this book has a good, solid story, lovely, developed characters and a comfortingly familiar world-building. There is a melancholy and fatalism in Halani which I found deeply fascinating. Her people are travellers with a rich culture of storytelling, beautifully decorated wagons and lively music. Halani doesn't agree wi
Allison Keith
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Grace Draven never fails to tell a unique story set against a vividly built world filled with characters who are authentic and relatable. Her writing style is eloquent, erudite, and evocative. The mythos of her fantasy world is finely layered into the story. The plot is imaginative, and the ending was incredibly satisfying. What I love most about this author’s romances is the emotional maturity of the characters. These are adults who communicate, who are honest with each another, and who respect ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Touch of Stone and Snow (A Gathering of Dragons, #2)
  • Chaos Reigning (Consortium Rebellion, #3)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Twilight's Herald (Aileen Travers, #5)
  • The Fiery Crown (Forgotten Empires, #2)
  • Storm of Fury (Legends of the Storm, #4)
  • A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
  • Dawn Caravan (Elemental Legacy, #4)
  • Head Over Heels
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • A Bride for the Prizefighter
  • The Lost Princess Returns (The Uncharted Realms, #5.5)
  • The Queen's Bargain (The Black Jewels #10)
  • The Curse Catcher (The Complex)
  • The Split
  • Starbreaker (Endeavor, #2)
  • 暁のヨナ 24 [Akatsuki no Yona 24] (Yona of the Dawn, #24)
I'm an author and Louisiana native living in Texas with my husband, three smalls and a big doofus dog. I have lived in Spain, hiked the Teton Mountains, honeymooned in Scotland, ridden in competition rodeo and am the great great granddaughter of a Nicaraguan president. I also hate doing laundry and refuse to iron anything.

I've loved storytelling since forever. I published my first short story with

Fallen Empire (2 books)
  • Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1)

Articles featuring this book

“Her uncle reveled in the embrace of the mistress that ruled him best—greed.” 0 likes
“What must it be like to be loved this way? So devotedly that the person you parted with cried at your absence before you even left?” 0 likes