What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > ..at first sight! Heroine don't give a BEEP about hero

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments You know what I would like? To read about a heroine who doesn't give a flying beep about the hero. At first, anyway. That it's not lust at first sight or love at first sight, for the heroine. I don't want anymore desperate heroines who suffer longing for the hero from beginning to end. There are too many of those. I would like an adult romance novel about a heroine who meets the hero and doesn't fall for him until later in the book. After she's known his PERSONALITY first. She has to know him some before falling dramatically in lust/love. Maybe they can meet, become best friends or just friends, and then become each other's significant other. I get bored easily so I like comedy in my romance and while I do enjoy dark novels, nothing too depressingly dark for this request. I don't care for doormat heroines. I do like my alpha males. I'm tired of reading about stalkers who want to sex up the heroines, where the hero has to come in and dramatically save the day. No more. No, thanks. AVOID.

Please help! Thank you!!

message 2: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Have you read the Reckoners Series? The first book the female lead hates the young male lead's guts pretty much. Then you have to read the second to get anywhere in there relationship. It's a YA series but oh sooo good!
Steelheart
Mitosis
Firefight

message 3: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Oh and the Rosie Project! It's from the guys point of view. And well he's looking for a wife the whole book, but ironically there is non of the instant love/ lust stuff going on. It is really good.
The Rosie Project

message 4: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:59PM) (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Are you specifically looking for contemporary or YA books?

Sweet Dreams, At Peace and Lady Luck might have what you're looking for. Definitely alpha guys but the heroine isn't instantly in love with them, and in fact they kind of have to prove themselves to her.

They're contemporary, but I mostly read historicals, and not everyone likes them. :)

message 5: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelyh) | 14 comments Rebel Belle is a major romamce plot twist

message 6: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 03, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Do you like UF? Magic Bites is the first in the Kate Daniels series. Kate meets Curren in the first book, he's a lion-shape shifter, and she calls him "Kitty". She's not impressed by him at all. The romance builds over the series as they get to know each other. They're not my usual fare but I like them.

Also, Naked in Death is the first in its series, and Eve meets Roarke when she's a cop and he's a suspect. And she doesn't like him at all. Though it's not primarily a romance you might like it and they end up married.

message 7: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - they definitely get to know each other before the sparks fly

message 8: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2427 comments I recommend this book a lot because I absolutely loved it. It had me laughing out loud. The interaction as they get to know each other was fabulous.

Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1) by Alice Clayton

message 9: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "You know what I would like? To read about a heroine who doesn't give a flying beep about the hero. At first, anyway. That it's not lust at first sight or love at first sight, for the heroine. I don..."

AMEN! I am so sick and tired of every single heroine falling in love at first sight. Or even at lust at first sight.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments I'm looking specifically for adult romance. I'm very particular about YA romance. I grade it on a very harsh scale and so very few make it to even a three stars for me. I have very high expectations for them and it's too regular a feeling to feel disappointed. What works in one book for me doesn't work in the next. Thus, I can't ask for them since who knows if they will work again and captivate me.

Thank you for your suggestions and I'll make note of them for when I'm wanting some YA.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Teri-k wrote: "Are you specifically looking for contemporary or YA books?

Sweet Dreams, At Peace and Lady Luck might have what you're looking for. Definitely alpha..."

I like contemporary adult romance, paranormal, sci fi, ect.

I do read adult historical romance but what works for one doesn't for the other and makes me very picky. With historical, I'm picky most about my heroes and heroines. I like Lisa Kleypas' (she never fails to deliver) sweet tender loving characters to playful Dara Joy's Rejar to comedic fun-loving from Sandra Hill to intense sexy from Virginia Henley's Seduced.

"in fact they kind of have to prove" I like that concept ;)

Thanks!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Eмρrєѕѕ Aηgєℓ σƒ Gαℓαχιєѕ Bєуση∂ Gαℓαχιєѕ wrote: "Rebel Belle is a major romamce plot twist"

The "snappy banter" from the blurb caught me. What I love best in romance is the hero and heroine's banter. I love reading about two partners who can verbally stand up against and for each other. It simply delights!

Added, thanks!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Teri-k wrote: "Do you like UF? Magic Bites is the first in the Kate Daniels series. Kate meets Curren in the first book, he's a lion-shape shifter, and she calls him "Kitty". She's not impressed by h..."

Do I like UF? I think that's my current favorite wanted genre. I love it! Kate Daniels? I have all of her books and love it and am waiting for the next one, book eight, to come out! I wish it would hurry up.. but I'm a good fan and I'll be patient.

I actually.. don't like J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts.

Thanks!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Chocolatesoup wrote: "One Plus One by Jojo Moyes- they definitely get to know each other before the sparks fly"

Okay, I'll bite. It sounds quirky-intriguing. Thanks!

message 15: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited Feb 05, 2015 09:10PM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Juels wrote: "I recommend this book a lot because I absolutely loved it. It had me laughing out loud. The interaction as they get to know each other was fabulous.

Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1) by Alice Clayton"

I'm so sad I want to like this book. So many people were delighted with this book. I actually have this book from all the raved reviews and have tried several attempts to finish it completely but I keep stopping.. It was a struggle. This turned out to be one of those books that somehow didn't click with me. I lost interest and it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be completed. Hoping I do someday.

Thanks!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "You know what I would like? To read about a heroine who doesn't give a flying beep about the hero. At first, anyway. That it's not lust at first sight or lo..."

LOL nowadays it's lust at first sight more often than not. It's because of all the sex in the air. I want my meaty storyline with great characters!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Stacey wrote: "On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) by Samantha Young amazing book one of my favs! She makes this man work!"

I have heard so much about this book! The quotes make me want it! But my friends have mixed reviews and that makes me cautious. I recently bought a book just for the quotes and I did not like the book, nope. A one star? Two? How dark is this book? It looks dark and I just finished some dark (f*cked up) novels so I'm not in the mood for more. *insert one tear here* lol

message 18: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 20 comments It's not dark at all. The heroine had some loss in life early so it made her stand offish but there are no taboo topics here.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Stacey wrote: "It's not dark at all. The heroine had some loss in life early so it made her stand offish but there are no taboo topics here."

Thanks Stacey! :)

message 20: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard is funny, sexy & scary-

dislike/disgust at first sight
witty banter
so not a doormat heroine

BUT there is a stalkery villian and the hero DOES save/help the heroine but I don't remember it as being OTT annoying.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Chocolatesoup wrote: "Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard is funny, sexy & scary-

dislike/disgust at first sight
witty banter
so not a doormat heroine

BUT there is a stalkery villian and the hero DOES save/help the heroin..."

Hey!! Thanks! I forgot about this book. It's in my tbr list and it apparently made a big impression because I even have it shelved as 'hey you remember me' which means it's a must read, must come back to. Thanks again!

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Pride and Prejudice"

I haven't finished it because it went a bit too slow for my taste and I found myself annoyed with Mr. Darcy . It was either him or Elizabeth, I forget which one .

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Well give it 5-10 years and then come back to it. Sometimes you read a book at the wrong point in your life.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Well give it 5-10 years and then come back to it. Sometimes you read a book at the wrong point in your life."

That's true. I agree there are some books that require them to be read at a certain point in one's life. The message is clearer and it's enjoyed to the max of its potential.

message 26: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments There is the whole Neighbor from Hell series.
The first book was the best.

Playing for Keeps

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Michelle °O° wrote: "There is the whole Neighbor from Hell series.

Playing for Keeps"

My heart fluttered and I uttered the typical, "oh my gosh!"I SWOON for that book. Are they not adorable? R.L. Mathewson completely rocked my boat. I get happy little butterflies, or shall I say 'happy little grasshoppers', just thinking about Playing for Keeps. 'Grasshopper' hasn't been the same since I've read said book. I haven't completed the series yet however I've ventured into other series Mathewson's written. Unfortunately, some are a hit or miss. Thus, I'm a bit apprehensive to read the other Neighbor from Hell books. I don't want to be disappointed and Mathewson did float me so high with Playing for Keeps. I'm just prolonging the inevitability.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Scott wrote: "The Raven Ring"

This sounds like a YA adventure book with little romance. Am I incorrect?

message 30: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "Michelle °O° wrote: "There is the whole Neighbor from Hell series.

Playing for Keeps"

My heart fluttered and I uttered the typical, "oh my gosh!"I SWO..."

Ill be honest. I have read some of the other NFH series and they weren't as great as her first one.

message 31: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments I don't know if this is a great fit, but the banter and disgust she has fort he hero had me laughing a lot.
Metro Girl

message 32: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 283 comments I'm not sure you like the genre but here's 2 historical regency romance novels by Georgette Heyer:

Cotillion: here the heroine doesn't care for him romantically at first, but they're friends anyway
Sylvester: here instead she really dislikes him at first (ok I'm reading it now and haven't finished yet, but we know how it's going to end)

message 33: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments Based on your post I think you would really like Halton Cray by N.B. Roberts. The characters go from not liking each other to friends and then more. They also have a very comedic dialogue together which is one of my favorite aspects of the book. The setting is spooky with some hauntings that I really liked. And to top it off some good mystery and twists. :)

message 34: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments I couldnt stand the Neighbor from Hell series. But yet I still tortured myself by finishing them. Sometimes I don't know whats wrong with me lol.

message 35: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 20 comments The Deal (Off-Campus, #1) by Elle Kennedy is a new one that is awesome!

message 36: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments Mrsbooks wrote: "I couldnt stand the Neighbor from Hell series. But yet I still tortured myself by finishing them. Sometimes I don't know whats wrong with me lol."

It's called USS (unfinished series syndrome) I have it too. LOL

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "Scott wrote: "The Raven Ring"

This sounds like a YA adventure book with little romance. Am I incorrect?"

It is a fantasy novel that, to the best of my recollection, fits your request. It would be fine for young adults.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 07, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

Nadine posted her request in another thread so if you can help her don't respond in this thread, but go here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 39: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Grech | 47 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Nadine posted her request in another thread so if you can help her don't respond in this thread, but go here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Thank you, although I don't know why but only one person answered so far. Shall I delete my post here, since I made the same request in another thread that I created?

message 40: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Shall I delete my post here, since I made the same request in another thread that I created?

I went ahead and deleted it.

message 41: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 135 comments Yes!!! I totally agree with you and have this exact same problem. There are so many lists with "virgin heroines" and "bad boys and good girls". I would like a list where there are heroines who may or may not be attracted to the hero when they first meet, but either way does not 1. think constantly about him and/or about how hot he is 2. become a pushover puddle whenever the hero so much as looks at her 3. show an inch of feelings for him before later in the book, and even then still not resorting to no-nos 1 and 2.
- Rant over
now that that's done, I have actually got some books to suggest

Friend-Zoned Now while there may be insta-lust there is definitely no insta-love (the heroine first thinks she might be falling for the hero about a quarter of the way through) and while the heroine may think about the hero quite a bit, pretty much all of it is actually personality traits and how he makes her feel safe instead of the usual hot and bothered, so no no-no number 1. They start out as friends and while the heroine does start having more serious feelings for the hero, the feeling is mutual and she still doesn't make her emotions known, so none of the no-nos 2. and 3. It's humorous, if a bit dramatic at times, but nevertheless entertaining. I recommend it.

I don't have time to go through each book in as much detail as above but here are some books anyway.

Magic Bites (The heroine and hero don't get together until the third book I think, and their first meet is one of the best I've read. The hero is an alpha in character and in position but the heroine does not move an inch when she has decided something and she drives him crazy. All the better ;) )

The Vanishing Girl (I absolutely love this book. The heroine and hero have the best first meeting I've ever read, and their second meeting is pretty great too. The heroine is definitely feisty)

Naked in Death (the heroine really finds it hard to let people get close to her and finds it even harder to show her feelings when she has them. Also, this hero may be my favorite, he is a tall, dark and handsome, extremely intelligent and passionate businessman who has dabbled in some business on the other side of the law to become one of the richest men in the world from being extremely poor. The two of them are so different but they are also so similar as well, they are amazing together)

Midnight's Daughter (The heroine and hero despise each other to begin with and when they first meet they actually have a fight. Also, no words of love are spoken between them in this first book of the series)

From Rags (this is one of my favourite romances, and it is hilarious. The heroine has the attitude of "i don't give a shit" and has a very thick skin. There is a lot of sexual tension between the hero and heroine but when you think the hero will overwhelm the hero with sexy words and deliberate touches, the heroine goes on the offense and unnerves the hero. whooop!)

Feral Sins (The hero is notoriously known to be frightening to people, but when the heroine first meets him she acts calm and collected. There is insta-lust but it's not distracting and makes sense further down the book. The hero is an alpha, but the heroine fights back when he's being unreasonable and she also stands her ground in any confrontation she has, despite her having a condition that people presume makes her weak.)

message 42: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments One Night Stand

I enjoyed this one. I felt it was a little rushed at the end but the characters are friends first.

message 43: by Nadine (last edited Jan 10, 2016 06:44AM) (new)

Nadine Grech | 47 comments Kulti

I loved it because there was no hint whatsoever that they were getting together until the end of the book. I just hate it when a heroine is immediately in love with the hero without first getting to know him and consistantly compliments him every single time in every opportunity! I just recently dnf The Gamble because of that very reason. I am thinking of finally trying Magic Bites even though I am not used to reading those kind of books.

message 44: by Alina (new)

Alina | 1 comments You mentioned you like Lisa Kleypas's books. Try Secrets of a Summer Night although there was a moment when they first met, but after that she doesn't really care about him until when he shows his caring side and when gets to know him. Really intense book.

message 45: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Grech | 47 comments bump

message 46: by Sara (last edited Oct 25, 2016 01:10AM) (new)

Sara Evans The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
this is a hate-to-love story. The heroine hates the hero and there are a few scenes where she even fantasizes about squeezing his neck and watching him die. It's not insta love 'cause after they spend more time together she still doesn't really like him much. IT's perfectly paced. And the hero is amazing. (they work together)
Stealing Home by Nicole Williams ; the hero has been infatuated by her for two but she has no clue and she doesn't go all bananas when he talks to her. (he's a famous athlete & she the athletic trainer)
The Space Between (The Walshes, #2) by Kate Canterbary ; this is one of my favorites because it's love at first sight for the guy & it's hilarious to read how frustrated he gets when she doesn't pay him much attention or says 'hmm'. He's sort of her boss; she works for his family's architectural firm. He's the one who pushes for 'more' in the relationship. He's amaze-balls. lol
Ten Below Zero by Whitney Barbetti
Still Life with Strings by L.H. Cosway ; Hero is amazing and it's obvious he's in love with her from the first moment.

Sacked (Gridiron, #1) by Jen Frederick ; the hero knows she's 'the one' from the first moment and pursues her relentlessly (he's also a virgin).
Friends Without Benefits (Knitting in the City, #2) by Penny Reid ; he's been in love with her since he was sixteen (they grew up together).

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 321 comments Bonds of Fire and The Fallen King by T.A. Grey have this theme, but they are books 2 and 4 in a series and books 1 and 3 don't have the theme you're looking for. Anyway, in bonds of fire, the heroine may have insta-lust but she's a succubus so it's easily overlooked, especially when she fights him tooth and nail (and even a few well-placed knees) and leads him on a merry chase around Europe.
In the fallen king, the hero is literally evil personified and kidnaps the heroine and plans on killing her after she helps him with his mission and the heroine pretends to go along with him, but secretly keeps planning her escape. They both gradually fall for each other.
Another one I just read the other day was Depravity by M.J. Haag. It's part one in a 3-part series and I believe it's still free on ibooks. It's a spin on the beauty and the beast tale. I highly recommend it.

message 49: by Lola (new)

Lola | 20 comments Sara wrote: "The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
this is a hate-to-love story. The heroine hates the hero and there are a few scenes where she even fantasizes about squeezing his neck and watching him die. It'..."

In "the hating game" hero dont like her too?? Because that's not the point, the point is heroine don't give a beep for hero and don't both.

message 50: by Haru (new)

Haru Choi (haruchoi) | 8 comments I don’t know if you’ll like them but here are some of the books where the heroine didnt fall in love instantly with hero. Some of them are YA. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...# https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

« previous 1