Start by marking “Sweet Compulsion” as Want to Read:
Sweet Compulsion

Sweet Compulsion

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Marcy Campion had inherited a charming house in London in an area that Randal Saxton and his property company wanted to "develop" - and Marcy was determined not to let it happen. She was convinced of the rightness of her action. If only she was equally convinced about her true feelings for Randal!
Published 1979 by Mills & Boon

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Compulsion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Compulsion

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
Why don’t we get hs like these anymore? Some of the vintage books come up these amazing characters especially hs that you are left absolutely amazed, impressed and asking for more. Spunky, smart, wily, independent minded and also sweet, feminine and compassionate at the same time.

*Not really a review but spoilers ahead*
**edited and added bits**

First HP where the H is gasping out declarations of love every second page and all she says is I am too young for you; gimme time, lemme think about it.
boogenhagen
The author says VW but really she is Charlotte Lamb and this is probably the sweetest CL ever.

h is trying to save her house and garden from greedy H developer, he takes one look and falls head over heels in love, the chase is on and big HEA ensues. This man is utterly smitten and totally adorable with it. NOT your usual CL H, more like the exact opposite.

This was one of the last CL's I had left on my list to collect and I thought it was very sweet and fun compared to her usual. Good book, refre
Naksed
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet Compulsion is one of those old-timey, sweet May-December Harlequin romances that Charlotte Lamb (writing under the pseudonym of Victoria Woolf) perfected in her signature style of naive but plucky country bumpkin meets jaded, sophisticated millionaire. There is no angst in this, although all the mentions of "my child" by the hero are cringe-worthily pedo but hey, chalk that up to the non-pc 70s lol. A lot of humor, though not as funny as Lamb's almost replica of this exact story in her qui ...more
Fre06 Begum
Loved this book Charlotte Lamb's older books were the best!!

Re reading this again as I seriously think it's one of the best HP books I have read! I love this couple,
Purse Monkey
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Victoria Wolf's Sweet Compulsion is I freaking LOVE this book to bits. Definitely the best book I've read in a long time.

The h inherited a house on a piece of land that's being developed by H's company. She's the only one that was holding up the project since everybody else decided to sell it. Hero, ruthless, cunning and cold, decided to use his usual brand of persuasion of sex appeal to try to convince h to sell. Unbeknownist to him, he fell so hard and so fast for the h that h
LLCSpokane
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-1011
Victoria Woolf is pseudoname for Charlotte Lamb. This not typical ansty CL book. It is lighthearted and has a spunky, good hearted, practically perfect h. The h is 18 years old and very innocent the H is much older. The H falls in love at first sight, the h is attracted but wary of the H and not sure what she is feeling.
This a sweet, fun romance.
Vintage
AY caramba. Manic pixie girl unbuttons English tycoon.

Marcy, the barely 18 year old Peter Pan h captures hearts right and left on her way from the wilds of Cornwall (was it Cornwall?) to the more materialistic, buttoned up London. A few of the hearts belong to her married attorney, the Lost Boys, aforementioned tycoon, his cousin or something, the H’s butler, the French chef…

The h has inherited her aunt’s mansion in the heart of London. Said house is a bone of contention as the big bad corporat
Leona
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: hqn-presents
Cute, sassy fun......no big angst, no big misunderstandings....They talk through their issues and misperceptions with total honesty. Hero is head over heels in love with the heroine and doesn't regret it for a moment. Even though he is almost twice her age.

Is this really a Charlotte Lamb book? Wow.
Chrisolu
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OK, I loved this book. Must take the time to write a proper review. I think I love this book as much as I love Temptation. Such a young h who played the hero like a violin, I love it.
StMargarets
Tinsoni
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why God why? why do good books end so fast???....as the book's end drew near I started experiencing the beginnings of separation anxiety. The last time I dreaded a books ending this much and mourned its ending even more was What Price Paradise. I loved the heroine....I am sad to say I was not the wisest 18 year old and made a staggering amount of mistakes....but I always wished I was born with the wit and wisdom this heroine was written with. The hero was fierce and determined just as I like the ...more
Roub
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was so much fun! and absolutely SWEET ! randal fell in love wid marcy at first sight. i especially liked his depiction of her as a fairy wid golden hair and he had the book tucked away at home somewhere; because as a kid, he liked the fairy so much! lol. marcy was such a sweet child! she acted more like a 13 year old instead of 18. i guess it was such at the time the book was published. she was very obviously not ready for a relationship, let alone marriage wid randal. but this is fantasy! ...more
Renégade ♥
4 1/2 to 5 stars

Dreamily she lifted a hand and ran a finger along his lips. "I have a feeling you aren't to be trusted, Mr. Randal Saxton," she said directly. "Not with that mouth."
The humour came back to his face. "My God," he said, half breathlessly, "I'm not as dangerous as you are, Marcy."

I read this when I was a young teenager (maybe thirteen? Fourteen?) and just loved it. I don't know how I'd react if I was only reading it now for the first time, but I'm rating this according to how much
Michelle
I don't know how to begin to review this book. When I got this book, I saw the back summary and wasn't interested too much and left on the table for a while. Then later I just opened page 28 and couldn't stop till the end. This book is going to be my shelf keeper.
Like other reviewers, I didn't want it to be ended since it's about sweet romance b/w smitten H and witty h. Also, you can picture how the smitten hero is caring about heroine. You won't regret to have this on your bookshelf.
Vali
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! It has all the elements that make up my favorite love story and the strongest of all is that the H, although an A male,confesses his love in the middle of the book and not at the end and expresses his feelings loud and clear!
Charlie
What is not to love about this May to December romance. From practically the moment they meet our H falls head over heels for our h who is like... Whatever dude you are WAAAAY too old for me I'm young I've got my life ahead of me so just meh!
He's not gonna take that he's an alpha male dammit! He'll just follow her round like a puppy till she gives in and says yes which of course she does. It's nice to see an alpha male doing all the chasing and getting burrrnned big time. But it all came good in
Sara
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Short and sweet love story
Finn
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a darling little story! I enjoyed immensely Randals deep uncertainty and increasing desperation with regards to Marcys feelings; sadistic of me I know, but it was just so much fun to read! If you like the idea of a strong hero having his patience stretched to the limit by a charming heroine you will love this story ☺
Tonya Warner
A very sweet story. Marcy is charming and lovable in her youth. Randal is definately ages ahead of her and a man who is determined to get what he wants, Marcy!
Vera Tanovic
Karen-Leigh
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Sheila Ann Mary Coates Holland
aka Sheila Holland, Sheila Coates, Charlotte Lamb, Sheila Lancaster, Victoria Woolf, Laura Hardy

Sheila Ann Mary Coates was born on 1937 in Essex, England, just before the Second World War in the East End of London. As a child, she was moved from relative to relative to escape the bombings of World War II. Sheila attended the Ursuline Convent for Girls. On leaving scho
More about Victoria Woolf...