The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Moonwalker Madeleines

Comments Showing 1-50 of 862 (862 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Moonwalker Madeleines

Team Members:

Allison - Captain
Paula - Co-captain
Nicole Early
Brooklyn
Brittany
Denise Lauron
Erica Anderson
Alissa Huybers
Rachel DeFalco

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Allison Ann (last edited Mar 01, 2020 10:19AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments All About UNO
UNO FAQ.

Team Spreadsheet
Tracking Spreadsheet

COUNTDOWN to Start of UNO

Team Shelves

Allison - Captain.
Paula - Co-captain
Nicole
Brooklyn
Brittany
Denise
Erica
Alissa
Rachel

Most Important Things to Remember
* Only books started after the challenge started can count for cards. Link to the countdown is located above.
* All finished books must be marked as read and must be on your UNO shelf.
* When you finish a book, please post in the thread and make note of as many options as possible so we can switch the book around if necessary.
* Coloured covers need to be at least 50% of a colour. If you're unsure, please ask in the thread and the team will weigh in. If still unsure, then captains can take the question to the captains' group to get a final decision.
* Have fun!! It's a social challenge, so can get chatty. And while we do want points and want to finish all our cards, this isn't supposed to be a competitive challenge. So enjoy your reading!

EXAMPLE POST

Completion Post

A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7) by Louise Penny by Louise Penny - 4/05/18
Works for 5 Blue
0 - character Zardo
1 - character Olivier
2 - title
3 - character Harris
4 - character Francois
5 - character Isabelle
6 - character Suzanne
7 - series #7
9 - character Normand
Skip - author last name

message 6: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 21, 2020 02:32PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments THE CARDS

O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit for any of the cards in that SAME hand (i.e. you are duplicating one of the cards in that same hand)

Wild draw four
Read a book that can fit for any of the coloured cards you have that month (i.e. you are duplicating one of your coloured cards. Each coloured card can only be duplicated once)

Coloured cards
Special coloured cards will be randomly provided each month. for these cards you need to read for the card number (as above) and the book must also have a coloured cover for the colour specified (blue, red, yellow or green)

message 7: by Allison Ann (last edited Mar 28, 2020 07:38PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments February Cards - 86(view spoiler)

March Cards - 98(view spoiler)

April Cards - 100 CARDS

1 Red
6 Red
8 Red
1 Yellow
2 Yellow
9 Yellow
2 Green
3 Green
4 Green
7 Blue
7 Blue
8 Blue
9 Blue

WD4 - 4

1 - 0 CARDS
6 - 1 CARDS
6 - 2 CARDS
7 - 3 CARDS
4 - 4 CARDS
8 - 5 CARDS
8 - 6 CARDS
8 - 7 CARDS
10 - 8 CARDS
10 - 9 CARDS
6 - SKIP CARDS
9 - REVERSE CARDS

5 - WILD CARDS

6 - DRAW 2 CARDS

message 8: by Allison Ann (last edited Feb 26, 2020 03:28PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Perky Space Chef! February Mini Challenge(view spoiler)

message 9: by Allison Ann (last edited Apr 13, 2020 07:15AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Perky Space Travel! March Mini Challenge(view spoiler)

message 10: by Allison Ann (last edited Apr 13, 2020 07:15AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments April Mini Challenge

This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players. This month we are joining another team for a bake-off!

In February, you assembled your space treats and in March you embarked on your space travel. So now it is time to come back home and have a tea party with your new found treats.

◈ You can choose any recipe from a different team (found here). With that recipe in hand you need to decide as a team how to eat their treat. You do this by:
→ picking word(s) from that team's recipe to "spell-it-out" you can do this with up to 15 letters (they need to be complete words, not only spelling partial words)
→ picking word(s) from that team's recipe that you can find on the cover of books or as words in text. You can do this with up to 15 words
→ deciding what else you would like to serve at the tea party. Complete the story on the spreadsheet using book titles. (15 words) This is the story of your tea party in your own words. Be as creative as you like. You can use as much or as little of a title as you see fit.

◈ Every book read, i.e. every task completed, is worth 10 points.

◈ If you complete all your requirements for a tea party, your team will receive 30 bonus points.

◈ Share your tea party with the team that created the recipe you were given for an additional 10 points. (This means posting to their thread your tea party story)

◈ Books can be started at any point since the start of the UNO challenge (Feb 1)
◈ Books need to be finished after the start of this mini challenge on April 12, 7pm AEST (countdown is here) and before May 1 at 7pm AEST (Countdown to the end of April is here)

◈ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands
◈ The usual book length rules apply
◈ Team spreadsheets will be updated with a mini challenge tab so that you can track your books and claim your points

Spell-it-out rules
For this mini-challenge, you are using the same rules that apply for UNO. So a letter needs to be the first letter in the book title, author first name or surname, character name or nickname, or setting. Articles (a/an/the) can be ignored in the book titles. For this spell-it-out, you can also use the first letter in the series name.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments R

message 12: by Paula (new)

message 13: by Paula (new)

message 14: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 21, 2020 03:24PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Hello team and welcome to UNO 2020! I'm your captain Allison Ann - but I prefer Allison or Al. This is my fifth time playing UNO and it is such a fun challenge, I hope you all love it too.

When you get a chance, please check in here and tell us a little about yourself, let us know if you've played UNO before and post a link to your UNO shelf. Thanks.

I live in NW Ontario, Canada where there are more lakes, deer and rocks than people. I work in tourism. I read almost everything, though mystery, fantasy, sci-fi and thrillers are my favourites.

I'm going to go set up the introductory posts now. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

message 15: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments Hi team! I'm Brooklyn and I'm excited to be playing with you all. This will be my second time playing UNO.

I am a software developer in Alabama, so I'm on Central Time Zone. I've been married for almost 19 years and have one teenage daughter. We also 3 dogs and a cat, so are a pretty full house.

Like Allison, I will read almost anything. If the description looks interesting and captures my attention, I'll give it a try, no matter the genre.

My UNO shelf

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 458 comments Hi Everyone! I’m Brittany I have been playing UNO since 2016. I love this challenge so much. I’m a Customer service in Kentucky so also in central time zone. I have two huskies whom I love like crazy. Right now I have been focusing on Historical fiction, paranormal romance and reverse harem books.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/17220487-brittany?shelf=uno-2020

message 17: by Denise (last edited Jan 21, 2020 11:30PM) (new)

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 175 comments I am checking in! I am Denise and this is my fourth or fifth time playing. I read almost anything but I'm not a huge horror fan.

I am on pacific time and I work in a hospital in California. I have two daughters and multiple pets. I will edit in a bit to add my shelf.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 161 comments Hi everyone! I'm Nicole and this will be my third year playing Uno. I
currently live in Kansas City and am in the Central time zone, but I works nights as an ICU nurse so I tend to keep some pretty crazy hours. I read pretty widely, but I especially love fantasy and historical fiction. Looking forward to playing with you all!

message 19: by Paula (last edited Jan 22, 2020 05:28AM) (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Hello everyone, I'm Paula and I'm from Chile (South America) I live in Santiago (GMT-3, that's 3 hours more than central time, 5 hours more than pacific time and 2 hours more than Ontario time haha).
My native language is spanish but I read in english too, I work in mining and environmental consultancy, and I'll be going on vacation from feb 14 to feb 23, but wifi won't be a problem =).

I read most genres except for horror, but my favorites are fantasy and historical fiction just like Nicole =).

This is my fifth time playing UNO and I love the challenge, here's my UNO shelf

Denise we were on the same team last year!

I'm looking forward for the challenge to start, but I really need to finish some books before that.

message 20: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 304 comments Hey there! I am Alissa and this is my third or fourth year playing UNO. It's my favourite challenge.

I'm an accountant in Alberta, so that is Mountain TIme and you'll mostly see me in the morning. I've been with my husband close to 20 years, no kids, 3 cats.

I read pretty widely but mystery and contemporary fiction are my go-tos. Not really into romance or fantasy.

message 21: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Welcome everyone. Sounds like we have a bunch of regulars so far. Any questions you can still ask. :D It always take me a little bit to switch mindsets from whatever team challenge I just finished to the new one. I'll get all our links set up today. Paula and I prefer to use a tracking spreadsheet. If anyone doesn't want to post to that though, you are welcome to just post your books here. It's fun to see what everyone has been reading.

Paula wrote: "Hello everyone, I'm Paula and I'm from Chile (South America) I live in Santiago (GMT-3, that's 3 hours more than central time, 5 hours more than pacific time and 2 hours more than Ontario time haha).."

Actually, Ontario has two time zones and I'm in the tiny little Central portion of it. So we've got a bunch of Central Zone people. :D

message 22: by Rachel (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:05AM) (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Hi everyone! My name is Rachel and this is my third UNO challenge. I am from rural Connecticut. I work in a medical laboratory in a hospital, this includes weekends and holidays. I have a three year old son and two ridiculous cats. I read almost everything but romance.

I saved some of my shorter reads for this challenge.

message 23: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Rachel wrote: "Hi everyone! My name is Rachel and this is my third UNO challenge. I am from rural Connecticut. I work in a medical laboratory in a hospital, this includes weekends and holidays. I have a three yea..."

Hi Rachel!

My last team challenge was Tower Teams and I read books over 1000 pages almost exclusively for 10 weeks. I have been binging on short mysteries since then. I'm glad we don't have a page bonus for this challenge.

Anyone who wants access to the tracking spreadsheet, please PM me with your email when you have a chance. Gmail works best but if you don't have one, we will struggle along. :D

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments My team last year complained that the books I was reading were too long. I can't help what I get when from the library. That is quite the challenge. What books did you read, if you don't mind my asking?

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Rachel you can read whatever you want for the challenge, just have in mind that you signed up for 6 books per month, so ideally we need you to read that amount (if RL gets in the way, we understand of course ;D).

Also, if any of you have any problem during the challenge please let us know.

message 26: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments So everybody, we don't have particularly good cards in February - not a ton of points available. We do however have 10 Reverse cards! Most of us seem to read mysteries or romance, so hopefully we won't have trouble copying books. So if you see a posted book that you have read in the past, please shout out so we can get the points. :D

The strategy I have liked in the past is very simple too. Focus on getting the coloured cards out of the way early in the month, that way everything else is easy to place and when the mini-challenge starts we can focus more on that and up our points that way. Sound okay to everyone?

The main thing is to read awesome books and enjoy them of course, but I do have a little competitive side, I don't like to leave unclaimed points. Read anything you want and as Paula said, if you get busy and can't reach your goals, just let us know. Usually someone else can surpass their weekly goal for you. And any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

message 27: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Alissa - when you get a chance to make an UNO shelf can you please post it here. Thanks very much.

message 28: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 22, 2020 09:55PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Rachel wrote: "My team last year complained that the books I was reading were too long. I can't help what I get when from the library. That is quite the challenge. What books did you read, if you don't mind my as..."

Read anything you like Rachel. I prefer longer books usually, but longer like 4-500 pages, the 1000 pagers were a bit much. :D I read several Edward Rutherfurd, Jean M Auel, Diana Gabaldon, James A. Michener, Stephen King, Jilly Cooper plus several anthologies and a online book called The Wandering Inn.

message 29: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 304 comments Allison Ann wrote: "Alissa - when you get a chance to make an UNO shelf can you please post it here. Thanks very much."

Here you go https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 30: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Alissa wrote: "Allison Ann wrote: "Alissa - when you get a chance to make an UNO shelf can you please post it here. Thanks very much."

Here you go https://www.goodreads.com/review/list..."

Thank you!

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Allison Ann wrote: "Rachel wrote: "My team last year complained that the books I was reading were too long. I can't help what I get when from the library. That is quite the challenge. What books did you read, if you d..."

I do love the ramblings of Stephen King.

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments I checked and 2 of the books I'm planning on reading on february have been read by Nicole =)
Also I'll check my colored books on the weekend, I know I have a 7 red on my physical shelves I just need to see if I want to read it in the near future, I'm sort of a mood reader.

message 33: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments I found a few books on each of your lists that are on my TBR, so I will see which of those I feel like reading this month. I unfortunately put aside a bunch of yellow books and now we don't need them. :D So I will have to look through my other colours. Blue and green tend to be fairly easy, red is my challenge.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Does anyone mind if I read cinder as a reverse card? I actually own it and have somehow never read it.

message 35: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 23, 2020 11:09AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments That would be great Rachel. I've read it and I'm sure others here have too. :)

I'm going to claim 8 Blue with Earth Song (Medieval Song, #3) by Catherine Coulter . Please remember that we have some Wild Draw 2 cards also if anyone else wants to read 8 Blue we can duplicate two cards.

Anyone else, if you find a cover colour you want to claim for the month, please go ahead. We're easing into the game with no Yellow, but we have most of the harder numbers/letters. :D

message 36: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments I’ll look through my TBR and see what I can claim for color cards. I saw quite a few that I can read for reverse but I haven’t looked much beyond that yet.

I’ve actually never read Cinder either. My sister recently recommended it to me so I’ll have to check it out at some point.

message 37: by Brooklyn (last edited Jan 23, 2020 03:48PM) (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments I'll claim 1 Blue with
Our Bloody Pearl (These Treacherous Tides #1) by D.N. Bryn

Should I add it to the spreadsheet?

message 38: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments Can we use audiobooks that don't have a print version, such as audible originals? I was thinking specifically of The Christmas Pact by Vi Keeland .

message 39: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Does the Audible website have a time on that book? They have to be over 3 hours.

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments I read Cinder and I really liked the saga, I hope you do too 😊
I'll read for 7 red then, it's a difficult one and I have the book for it Cinco semanas en globo by Jules Verne by Jules Verne =)

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Allison Ann wrote: "Does the Audible website have a time on that book? They have to be over 3 hours."

According to Audible it is 2 hours and 54 mins, so it doesn't meet the requirement =/

message 42: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I'll claim 1 Blue with
Our Bloody Pearl (These Treacherous Tides #1) by D.N. Bryn

Should I add it to the spreadsheet?"

You can add books you are going to read, but definitely add them when you are finished. Thanks!

message 43: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Paula wrote: "Allison Ann wrote: "Does the Audible website have a time on that book? They have to be over 3 hours."

According to Audible it is 2 hours and 54 mins, so it doesn't meet the requirement =/"

Well that is disappointing!

message 44: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments I am jealous of people who can do the audiobook thing. I wish I could but I absolutely hate them. They feel like noise I have to tune out and I end up having missed most of the book. I have even tried listening to books that I love, but for some reason beautiful printed words turn to absolutely annoyance in my ears. I don't like the radio either and don't watch much TV. I'm definitely a printed word person. :D

message 45: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments Allison Ann wrote: "Paula wrote: "Allison Ann wrote: "Does the Audible website have a time on that book? They have to be over 3 hours."

According to Audible it is 2 hours and 54 mins, so it doesn't meet the requireme..."

Definitely disappointing. It would have worked perfectly for one of the colored cards. Oh well.

message 46: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 200 comments Paula wrote: "I read Cinder and I really liked the saga, I hope you do too 😊
I'll read for 7 red then, it's a difficult one and I have the book for it Cinco semanas en globo by Jules Verne by Jules Verne =)"

Awesome, since I can't use the audiobook.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Has anyone read Truly Devious? I am not familiar with characters etc but am about to get it from the library queue. Would it work with any of the color cards we have?

message 48: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1245 comments Rachel wrote: "Has anyone read Truly Devious? I am not familiar with characters etc but am about to get it from the library queue. Would it work with any of the color cards we have?"

Haven't read it myself but it looks like Nicole has, so it could be a Reverse. It will work for 1 Blue because it is the start of a series. If the whole book takes place in Ellingham Academy, then it would work for 8 Blue. No idea about characters.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Ok, I will try to read it first so we can possibly knock out a color card.

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 161 comments Rachel wrote: "Has anyone read Truly Devious? I am not familiar with characters etc but am about to get it from the library queue. Would it work with any of the color cards we have?"

I've read it! It works for 8 Blue (character named Ellie, setting of Ellingham academy) and 1 Blue (first i series). Works for several umber cards as well- characters named Stevie, Vi and Nate.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18