Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2019 Challenge Archive > 2019 October Pick It For Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments 2019 October PIFM Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!

After signups are closed, your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or friend the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to send a friend request to the person picking for you as soon as possible after the matchups are posted. Whether your profile is private or not, it is also very important that your profile be set to receive Private Messages (PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you (mods, organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks:
You can ask for repicks if:
✱ The books picked for you are not yet released.
✱ If you have already read the chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
✱ If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because:
✱ A book is not available at your library.
✱ A genre or author you don’t enjoy.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question:
✱✱ Pumpkin Spice - yay or nay? ✱✱

✱✱ If you have a preferred shelf, please list it along with your pick! ✱✱

IMPORTANT DATES
For your convenience a Time Zone Converter.

You’ll have until September 28 - 9 pm US EST to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ. If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host's discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!✱

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!

Pickees
✱ To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed (Did Not Finish) or authors that don’t work for you as well as favorite books and authors. In addition, you might consider updating your profile. You can include info about your favorite books, authors, genres, themes or tropes (or themes/tropes you dislike – i.e. secret baby).
✱ Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign-up thread. This information will not be included in the pairings and your pickee may not see your message and does not need to rely on that information when making picks.

Pickers
✱ Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, of your picks should be romance. There are various sub genres within the romance category - Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you could add a non-romance as a choice.

✱ You will be using 8 picking rules to select books for you pickee. Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they've never read any of the author's work previously. The remaining 4 titles should come from your pickee's tbr, with a minimum of one from their preferred shelves if provided. Be sure to pick at least one book for each picking rule, but please limit your picks to no more than two books per rule as sometimes having too many options is worse than too few.

Please remember when you are giving new recommendations, you are not limited to titles that you have read. You can choose books that are new releases, on your tbr, or titles you looked up on Goodreads or Amazon that you think your pickee would enjoy.

A few hints to help with book selection:
Check the book’s publishing date. Select "date pub" from the checkbox selections and save.
Check pickee's personalized shelves, especially their exclusive shelves. A personalized shelf is one the member has created. (e.g., 'to read next', 'favorites' ‘didn’t like’)
Make sure the books you choose are not on their 'read' shelf. Just because it isn't rated doesn't mean it wasn't read.
Look at your pickee's 'read' shelf and see what genres they have recently read or read the most. Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.
✱ If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.) Contact the Mods or the month's organizer for guidance.
Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their 'to-read' shelf, an older book on their 'to-read' shelf) This variety gives your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read; page numbers, ratings, etc.

If you want to volunteer to make repicks:
✱ We love that you want to help out, but please remember those who need picks have been waiting for a long time already. Please only volunteer if you are able to make the repicks within a few hours of the deadline. Thank you!

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 23, 2019 06:01PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments 2019 October PIFM Challenge - Picking Rules

Halloween is a celebration observed in several countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed. It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church. Some believe, however, that Halloween began solely as a Christian holiday, separate from ancient festivals like Samhain. Let's take a look at some of the more common Halloween traditions!

Jack o Lanterns: Jack-o-lanterns, which originated in Ireland with turnips instead of pumpkins, are based on a legend about a man name Stingy Jack who repeatedly trapped the Devil and only let him go on the condition that Jack would never go to Hell. However, when he died Jack learned that Heaven didn’t really want his soul either after all his devilish dealings, so he was condemned to wander the earth as a ghost for all eternity. His old friend, the Devil, gifted Jack a lump of burning coal, which Jack carried around in a carved-out turnip to light his way. Locals began carving frightening faces into their own gourds to scare off evil spirits such as Jack of the Lantern.
🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly orange cover or with a face on the cover.

Costumes: Celtic people believed that during the festival Samhain, which marked the transition to the new year at the end of the harvest and beginning of the winter, spirits walked the Earth. The Celts had to get creative to avoid being terrorized by evil spirits during this time of year. To fake out the ghosts, people would don disguises so they would be mistaken for spirits themselves and left alone.
🍂 Recommend a book tagged as Romantic Suspense, OR a book where someone hides their true identity or something else about themselves.

Trick or Treating: Some sources argue that our modern trick-or-treating stems from belsnickling, a tradition in German-American communities where children would dress in costume and then call on their neighbors to see if the adults could guess the identities of the disguised guests. In one version of the practice, the children were rewarded with food or other treats if no one could identify them. Other researchers speculate that the candy bonanza stems from the Scottish practice of guising, itself a secular version of souling. In the Middle Ages, soulers, children and poor adults, would go to local homes and collect food or money in return for prayers said for the dead on All Souls’ Day. Guisers ditched the prayers in favor of less religious performances like jokes, songs, or other “tricks.”
🍂 Recommend a book where the cover is a treat - one you find particularly attractive, or a Trick - where the book is better (or more highly rated) than the cover looks.

Mischief Night: As a phenomenon that often varies by region, the pre-Halloween tradition, also known as “Devil’s Night”, is credited with a different origin depending on whom you ask. Some sources say that pranks were originally part of May Day Celebrations. But Samhain, and eventually All Souls Day, always seem to have included good-natured mischief. When Scottish and Irish immigrants came to America, they brought along the tradition of celebrating Mischief Night as part of Halloween, which was great for candy-fueled pranksters.
🍂 Recommend a book with a "bad boy" or "bad girl" character, or a character that is a troublemaker or enjoys pranks or practical jokes OR a book set in the spring or with a spring-like scene on the cover.

Bobbing for Apples: This game traces its origins to a courting ritual that was part of a Roman festival honoring Pamona, the goddess of agriculture and abundance. Multiple variations existed, but the basic gist was that young men and women would be able to foretell their future relationships based on the game. When the Romans conquered the British Isles the Pamona festival was blended with the similarly timed Samhain, a precursor to Halloween.
🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly red cover or with food on cover, OR a book set in the food industry. You can also recommend a book that includes traditional dating or courtship.

Divination Games: Fortune Telling of a sort, divination games and spells date back hundreds of years, and were as much a part of traditional Halloween celebrations as trick-or-treating is today. Most of the games seem to originate from rural Ireland and Scotland, and most authors on the topic cite the iconic Scottish poet, Robert Burns’ 1785 poem, "Halloween" as one of their earliest references. These divination customs were probably already traditional by the late eighteenth century, and some stayed in practice, evolved into Victorian parlor games. They were carried over to the US and Canada when Scottish and Irish immigrants brought Halloween with them to the New World. Descriptions of divinatory party games can be found in North American books and magazines as late as the 1940s, although they passed out of favor by the golden age of Trick-or-Treating in the post-WWII suburban boom.
🍂 Recommend a book that is part of a series - so they can eventually see what the future holds!

Haunted Houses: The origins of the haunted house date back to 19th-century London, when a series of illusions and attractions introduced the public to new forms of gruesome entertainment. Halloween-themed haunted houses first emerged during the Great Depression as American parents schemed up ways to distract young tricksters, whose holiday pranks had escalated to property damage, vandalism and harassment of strangers.
🍂 Recommend a Paranormal Romance, OR book that is scary, OR a book with a dark cover.

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead): Celebrated throughout Mexico and by people of Mexican descent, this three day event traditionally starts on October 31. It is a time for family and friends gather to remember friends and family who have died, and to support their spiritual journey. It is viewed not as a time of sadness but of celebration, because their loved ones wake and celebrate with them.
🍂 Recommend a book with close family or friends, OR a book where a death is a factor in the story, OR a book with celebration, OR a book with flowers on cover.

Please make sure you pick a minimum of 4 new-to-them books and 4 from their to-read or preferred shelf for your pickee. If a preferred shelf is given, at least one book must come from that list.

Happy Reading!

message 5: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 28, 2019 11:11AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments 2019 October PIFM Challenge - Pairings

✔ indicates picks have been made
Updated through msg #81

A. Pumpkin Spice - Yay:
Carina - pifm
Carmen - pick-it-for-me
Nancy H
LaurLa -  04-challenges-picklist
Diane ~Firefly~ - next-to-read
Tink
Romanticbookworm - pick-for-me
Sonja - pifm
Suzanne
Ashley

B. Pumpkin Spice - Nay:
MountainKat - to-read-asap
☘KathyD☘ - c-m-g-36‎
KarenH - cant-wait-to-read
Laura - pick-for-me
Mary-Megan - meet-and-greet
Carrie - current-tbr
Chaos Book Reviews
Caroline Timmings
Hazel - on-kindle
Fran - a-pifm-shelf

Please pick for the person beneath you in your group. The last person picks for the first person, for example Ashley picks for Carina.

Remember to pick four NEW books and four from your pickee's TBR or preferred shelf. Please limit your picks to no more than two for each rule, too many choices can be as bad as too few!

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments **

message 7: by Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (last edited Sep 20, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 981 comments I haven't taken part in ages!

Pumpkin Spice - yay (we don't really use pumpkins in England but it sounds nice to me)

message 8: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3327 comments Pumpkin Spice - YAY!
Please use my shelf: 04-challenges-picklist

message 9: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:09PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2248 comments nay. . .pumpkin pie in the fall = nice. . .pumpkin everything = not so much!
c-m-g-36

message 10: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1434 comments Love pumpkin spice!

next to read shelf

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 826 comments I love the fall, it's my favorite time of year I do like pumpkin spice but for this I'm going to go with Nay because I don't need all my fall stuff to smell of it :)

So Nay and please use: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (last edited Sep 23, 2019 07:57PM) (new)

Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (thebookishattitude) | 80 comments Nay, pumpkin anything is a no go for me.

please use my to be read shelf

message 13: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2172 comments Nay - I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin cookies but nothing else really needs to be pumpkin spice.

please use: meet-and-greet

message 14: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Sep 21, 2019 06:52PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 1792 comments Pumpkin spice yay! I'm in Pick it for Me

message 15: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 934 comments Yay! Just not in everything.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments Same, yay but not in everything

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments I'm in! (private profile, happy to friend anyone who picks for me)

I will go with Nay......a very occasional slice of pumpkin bread is nice, but that's it.

PIFM shelf- https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 18: by Carina (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 963 comments im in

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I pumpkin spice never tried it.... so i dont know lol

message 20: by Hazel (new)

message 21: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1045 comments I’m in please! Pumpkin spice Yay!!
Please use my shelf called PIFM. I can’t link it now but will later on. Thank you for hosting Karen!

message 22: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 10 comments Pumpkin Spice — Nay! Apple cider — yay :) I’m open to any and all recommendations!

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Yay

message 24: by Romanticbookworm (new)

Romanticbookworm | 276 comments Pumpkin spice - yay

please use my PIFM shelf.

message 25: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments Pumpkin spice is good in pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, but in everything else - why? Nay for me.

Please use my to-read-asap shelf - thanks!

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Signups are closed and the picking rules are posted in message #4. I'll be back with the pairings in (hopefully) just a couple of minutes. 😀

message 27: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Pairings are posted in Message #5.

Happy Reading Everyone!

message 28: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments KathyD! Working on your picks now, should get them up tonight. 😊

Now to try to find some new books for you... 🤔

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments Hi MountainKat!
Here are your picks, I hope you find a goodie or two for October!

tbr- Blind Side
new- Chasing Fire

🍂 Recommend a book tagged as Romantic Suspense, OR a book where someone hides their true identity or something else about themselves.
tbr- The Luckiest Lady in London- seems like the H is hiding something
new- Castaways- RS

🍂 Recommend a book where the cover is a treat - one you find particularly attractive, or a Trick - where the book is better (or more highly rated) than the cover looks.
tbr- Crocus- pretty cover
new- Personal Delivery- the cover is a treat :)

🍂 Recommend a book with a "bad boy"
tbr- King Me

🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly red cover
tbr- Chasing Fire
new- Parental Guidance

🍂 Recommend a book that is part of a series - so they can eventually see what the future holds!
tbr- Holding On
new- Family Camp

🍂 Recommend a Paranormal Romance, OR book that is scary, OR a book with a dark cover.
tbr- Angels' Blood
tbr- We Shouldn't

🍂 Recommend a book with close family or friends, OR a book where a death is a factor in the story, OR a book with celebration, OR a book with flowers on cover.
tbr- Nobody Does It Better
new- Getaway Girl- wedding in story

Happy Reading!!

message 30: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2172 comments Carrie
Here are my picks for you. I hope there's something good in this mix.

Jack o Lanterns:
TBR: Dragonfly in Amber (orange cover)
New: Playing with Fire (orange cover)
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen

Costumes:
TBR: Fatal Affair (romantic suspense)
New: The Lieutenant's Nurse (character hiding something)
Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1) by Marie Force The Lieutenant's Nurse by Sara Ackerman

Trick or Treating:
TBR: A Murder in Time (attractive cover)
New: The Soldier's Wife (attractive cover)
A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1) by Julie McElwain The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy

Mischief Night:
TBR: Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (bad boy)
New: The Hotter You Burn (former bad girl)
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean The Hotter You Burn (The Original Heartbreakers, #2) by Gena Showalter

Bobbing for Apples:
TBR: The Elite (red cover)
New: Show No Mercy (red cover)
The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass Show No Mercy (Black Ops Inc., #1) by Cindy Gerard

Divination Games:
TBR: Finding Perfect (series)
New: Exclusively Yours (series)
Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3) by Susan Mallery Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) by Shannon Stacey

Haunted Houses:
TBR: Wildfire (paranormal romance)
New: Kiss of the Spindle (dark cover)
Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3) by Ilona Andrews Kiss of the Spindle (Steampunk Proper Romance #2) by Nancy Campbell Allen

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead):
TBR: Betrayal in Death (death a factor)
New: The Anatomist's Wife (death a factor)
Betrayal in Death (In Death, #12) by J.D. Robb The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1) by Anna Lee Huber

Happy Reading!

message 31: by Sonja (last edited Sep 24, 2019 09:30AM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1045 comments Hi Suzanne!
I’ll work on your picks tomorrow, but wanted to ask if you had a specific shelf you wanted me to pick from. If not, I’ll go with your TBR list. Cheers! ☕️

message 32: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments Fran wrote: "Hi MountainKat!
Here are your picks, I hope you find a goodie or two for October!

tbr- Blind Side
new- [b..."

Thanks Fran! I love my picks! ❤️

message 33: by Ashley (last edited Sep 23, 2019 09:48PM) (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Carina,
Jack o Lanterns:
Finally, A Family (TBR)- face on cover
Chasing Fire (NEW)- orange cover
Finally, A Family (Emerald City Stories, #4) by Callie Endicott Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Costumes:
K-9 Defense (TBR)- romantic suspense
Burn for Me (NEW)- romantic suspense
K-9 Defense by Elizabeth Heiter Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews

Trick or Treating:
An Amish Wife for Christmas (TBR)- higher rates then cover looks
An Amish Wife for Christmas (North Country Amish #1) by Patricia Davids

Mischief Night:
The Cowboy's Perfect Match (TBR)- spring like scene
Wicked Ugly Bad (NEW)-bad boy
The Cowboy's Perfect Match (The Sweetheart Ranch, #2) by Cathy McDavid Wicked Ugly Bad (A Kinda Fairytale, #1) by Cassandra Gannon

Bobbing for Apples:
Lone Star Christmas (TBR)- red on cover
The Raven Prince (NEW)-red on cover
Lone Star Christmas (Lone Star Legacy, #3) by Jolene Navarro The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt

Divination Games:
As You Wish (TBR) - part of a series.
Law Man (NEW)-part of a series
As You Wish (The Summerhouse, #3) by Jude Deveraux Law Man (Dream Man, #3) by Kristen Ashley

Haunted Houses:
Garden of Lies (TBR)- dark cover
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (NEW)-dark cover
Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell

The Summerhouse (TBR) - flowers on the cover
Daughter of the Forest (NEW)- close family
The Summerhouse (The Summerhouse, #1) by Jude Deveraux Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier

message 34: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19600 comments KathyD, here you go! Picking off your TBR was easy, as usual the hard part was finding new books for you - but I did it! One was on your shelves, but an author you haven't tried yet - and that counts. 😊 Hope you find something that intrigues you for October!

Jack o Lanterns:
NEW: What You Need by Lorelei James - Not a western believe it or not!
TBR: Legend by Sawyer Bennett - I just started this series!

Costumes:
NEW: Marked by Kaylea Cross - I need to read more of her work, because I really like it when I do! This is the series that Pamela Clare used characters from in Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas!
TBR: Devoted in Death by J.D. Robb - This was 5 Stars for me and it wasn't because it was one fo the emotional ones - the story was that good!

Trick or Treating:
NEW: Sex, Not Love by Vi Keeland - I loved this one! Steamy and sweet, with great narrators too!
TBR: Hard Wood by Lauren Blakely - Hard to go wrong with this series, this author and this narrator!

Mischief Night:
NEW: Shades of Wicked by Jeaniene Frost - Ian is definitely a bad boy! I can't wait for the next book!
TBR: Head Over Heels by Jill Shalvis - The bad girl and the sexy sheriff - this is one of my favorites of the series!

Bobbing for Apples:
NEW: The List by Tawna Fenske - Fun and funny!
TBR: Fighting for Everything by Laura Kaye - I love Laura Kaye and enjoyed this one a lot!

Divination Games:
NEW: One Summer Weekend by Shannon Stacey - I haven' started this series, but I love her humor!
TBR: Still the One by Jill Shalvis - Love this series and Karen White does such a good job with the narration!

Haunted Houses:
NEW: Born of Darkness by Lara Adrian - Spin off of the Midnight Breed series, about Hunters!
TBR: Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones - I wish I could read this series for the first time again!

Dia de los Muertos:
NEW: Hot to the Touch by Jaci Burton - I enjoyed this one and look forward to more in the series!
TBR: Once Upon a Sure Thing by Lauren Blakely - I recently read this and it was so sweet!! Didn't hurt it had some of my favorite narrators!

Enjoy!

message 35: by Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (last edited Sep 23, 2019 09:57PM) (new)

Jamie - The Bookish Attitude (thebookishattitude) | 80 comments Caroline here are your October Picks!

Jack o Lanterns:
To Be Read Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness I chose this book because of how much of the cover the face takes up.
New Pick The Allure of Dean Harper I chose this one as it's rocking a fair amount of orange on the cover.

Costumes
To Be Read Vicious I chose this book, cause my man Vic is supporting one hella secrete.
New Pick The Darkest Hour Look Good Reads listings tells me this book is romantic suspense, I wouldn't have a clue to be honest.

Trick or Treating:
To Be Read Outlaw's Promise that back tattoo, this book is definitely a treat!
New Pick The Last Time I Lied I loved this book, and to be honest if it didn't fit the theme for a bookstagram photo I never would have read it.

Mischief Night:
To Be Read After, I've never read this book, nor do I think I will, but I've heard Hardin is a total bad boy.
New Pick Bad Penny Penny is a total bad girl!

Bobbing for Apples:
To Be Read A Rogue by Any Other Name My 5 year old chose this book when I asked him to find me a red cover. Hopefully works out well.
New Pick Bittersweet I chose this one because its a sweet second chance romance with the main main being a restaurant mogul

Divination Games:
To Be Read Shadow Game Book One in the Ghost Walker Series.
New Pick That Second Chance I actual chose this book because I own it in Paperback so I may be bias, but seeing as its Divination I thought this was perfect. Featuring a curse this is Book One in the Get Luck Series.

Haunted Houses:
Paranormal is one of my absolute favourites!
To Be Read The Wolfe
New Pick Feral Sins Caution, this is book one! if you end up liking this book, I highly recommend reading in publication order. The Mercury and Phoenix packs are tightly connected.

To Be Read Jekel Loves Hyde honestly, I think the name explains this pick perfectly.
New Pick Before I Let You Go: A Novel I chose this book because Death is a major factor in the story. Without that death, nothing would have turned out the way it did.

Endgame Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness by Frank Brady The Allure of Dean Harper (The Allure, #2) by R.S. Grey Vicious (Sinners of Saint, #1) by L.J. Shen The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1) by Maya Banks Outlaw's Promise by Helena Newbury The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager After (After, #1) by Anna Todd Bad Penny by Staci Hart A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan That Second Chance (Getting Lucky, #1) by Meghan Quinn The Wolfe (de Wolfe Pack, #2) by Kathryn Le Veque Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1) by Suzanne Wright

message 36: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Hey Laura!

It's been a while since I participated in the PIFM so hopefully my picking skills aren't too rusty and you'll be able to find something you like here!

Jack o Lanterns:
TBR: Magic Gifts
New: The Martian - This is random, but the cover's orange and it's SOOO GOOD...especially in audio!

Costumes:
TBR: Second Grave on the Left
New: The Darkest Hour - I didn't see a lot of RS on your shelves, but this is one of my favorite RS series - and one of the best books in the series in my opinion...so emotional!

Trick or Treating:
TBR: How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf - I'm not a big fan of the cover, but the story is cute, and great in audio
New: The Perfect Play - One of my all-time favorite "attractive" covers! 😋

Mischief Night:
🍂 Recommend a book with a "bad boy" or "bad girl" character, or a character that is a troublemaker or enjoys pranks or practical jokes OR a book set in the spring or with a spring-like scene on the cover.
TBR: Lover Unbound
New: Pack Challenge

Bobbing for Apples:
🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly red cover or with food on cover, OR a book set in the food industry. You can also recommend a book that includes traditional dating or courtship.
TBR: An Apple for the Creature
New: Brownies and Broomsticks

Divination Games:
TBR: Bone Crossed
New: Slave to Sensation - This is on your TBR but no indication that you've ever read anything by Nalini Singh...this is one of my absolute favorite PNR series!

Haunted Houses:
TBR: Shards of Frost
New: Be Mine Tonight

TBR: Midnight Rising
New: Sweet Inspiration - I'm rushing the season a bit with this one, but I really enjoy this series.

Happy Reading!

message 37: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2053 comments Fran I will have your picks done by tomorrow.

message 38: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2248 comments Karen. . .I'm working on your picks today and hope to have them up this afternoon!

message 39: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2248 comments MountainKat wrote: "KathyD, here you go! Picking off your TBR was easy, as usual the hard part was finding new books for you - but I did it! One was on your shelves, but an author you haven't tried yet - and that coun..."

Kat you always find amazing new titles for me! I thank you much for putting in the effort! I'm super excited to get October going! =)

message 40: by Laura..devouring books like crumpets (last edited Sep 24, 2019 08:40AM) (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 963 comments Hey Mary Megan, i know me and you usually read different books, so i have put most my non paranormal reads i have enjoyed, the final one was paranormal but it had a kind of regency romance feel to it... Happy reading xxxx

Jack o Lanterns:
NEW: #Jerk by Kat T. Masen TBR: Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1) by Julia London
Costumes:
NEW: Wife by Wednesday (The Weekday Brides, #1) by Catherine Bybee TBR: As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5) by Anna Lee Huber
Trick or Treating:
NEW: Party Girl (The Girls, #1) by Rachel Hollis TBR: All the Flowers in Paris by Sarah Jio
Mischief Night:
NEW: The Hooker and the Hermit (Rugby, #1) by L.H. Cosway TBR: Last Chance Rebel (Copper Ridge, #6) by Maisey Yates
Bobbing for Apples:
NEW: Don't You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane TBR: Gimme Some Sugar (Southern Eclectic, #3) by Molly Harper
Divination Games:
NEW: Almost like Love (Love, #1) by Abigail Strom TBR: No One But You (Silver Springs, #2) by Brenda Novak
Haunted Houses:
NEW: The Story of Us (Carnage, #1) by Lesley Jones TBR: Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1) by Patricia Daniels Cornwell
Dia de los Muertos:
NEW: Eternal Darkness (The Amagarians, #1) by Stacy Reid TBR: The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 963 comments Hey Karen thanks for the picks.... some great new reads you recommended too!!! will let you know how i got on in a few weeks thanks hun xxx

message 42: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Sep 24, 2019 09:40AM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2248 comments OK Karen. . .that took less time than I thought. . .but not because it was so easy. Finding new books for you is a challenge since we have so many books and authors in common. I hope you enjoy whatever you are able to read!

🍂 Jack o Lanterns
Fantasy in Death, J.D. Robb — orange cover (tbr)
Midnight Rescue, Elle Kennedy — face on the cover (new)

🍂 Costumes
Under Currents, Nora Roberts — tagged romantic suspense (tbr)
The Vixen’s Lead, Tate James — characters hide their true identities (new)

🍂 Trick or Treating
Best Laid Plans, Lauren Blakely — cover is a treat (tbr)
Release Me, J. Kenner — book is better than the cover looks (new)

🍂 Mischief Night
King Me, Lucy Lennox — features a “bad boy” (tbr)
The Bourbon Kings, J.R. Ward — set in the spring (new)

🍂 Bobbing for Apples
Kiss Me, Kill Me, Allison Brennan — redish cover (tbr)
Three Blind Dates, Meghan Quinn — includes traditional dating (new)

🍂 Divination Games
Getting Played, Emma Chase — part of a series (tbr)
The Professional, Kresley Cole — part of a series (new)

🍂 Haunted Houses
Angels’ Blood, Nalini Singh — tagged paranormal romance (tbr)
Reaper’s Property, Joanna Wylde — dark cover (new)

🍂 Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
Planet Dragos, Thea Harrison — death is a part of the story (tbr)
Protecting Caroline, Susan Stoker — features close friends (new)

Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30) by J.D. Robb Midnight Rescue (Killer Instincts, #1) by Elle Kennedy Under Currents by Nora Roberts The Vixen's Lead (Kit Davenport, #1) by Tate James Best Laid Plans by Lauren Blakely Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1) by J. Kenner King Me (Forever Wilde, #7) by Lucy Lennox The Bourbon Kings (The Bourbon Kings, #1) by J.R. Ward
Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid, #2) by Allison Brennan Three Blind Dates (Dating by Numbers, #1) by Meghan Quinn Getting Played (Getting Some, #2) by Emma Chase The Professional (The Game Maker, #1) by Kresley Cole Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1) by Joanna Wylde Planet Dragos (Elder Races, #9.8) by Thea Harrison Protecting Caroline (SEAL of Protection, #1) by Susan Stoker

message 43: by Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (last edited Sep 24, 2019 11:10AM) (new)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 981 comments Hi Romanticbookworm,
I hope you can find something good to read this month. For your new books I picked ones I enjoyed that will still hopefully fit into the genres you read. Let me know how you get on

Jack o Lanterns:
🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly orange cover or with a face on the cover
TBR - Wilde Riders
NEW - Faking It - I loved this book, maybe another in the series would interest you more if not this one.
Wilde Riders (Old Town Country Romance, #1) by Savannah Young Faking It (McCullough Mountain, #4) by Lydia Michaels

Costumes:
🍂 Recommend a book tagged as Romantic Suspense, OR a book where someone hides their true identity or something else about themselves
TBR - Wild Heat
NEW - Dangerous Beauty
Wild Heat (Hot Shots Men of Fire, #1) by Bella Andre Dangerous Beauty (Dangerous Beauty, #1) by J.T. Geissinger

Trick or Treating:
🍂 Recommend a book where the cover is a treat - one you find particularly attractive, or a Trick - where the book is better (or more highly rated) than the cover looks
TBR - Big Rock
NEW - Evidence of the Affair
Big Rock (Big Rock, #1) by Lauren Blakely Evidence of the Affair by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Mischief Night:
🍂 Recommend a book with a "bad boy" or "bad girl" character, or a character that is a troublemaker or enjoys pranks or practical jokes OR a book set in the spring or with a spring-like scene on the cover
TBR - Cherry Bomb: Forbidden Bad Boys
NEW - Just Me
Cherry Bomb Forbidden Bad Boys (Sunsetters #1) by Clara Leigh Just Me (You & Me - A Bad Boy Romance Book 1) by Lexy Timms

Bobbing for Apples:
🍂 Recommend a book with a mostly red cover or with food on cover, OR a book set in the food industry. You can also recommend a book that includes traditional dating or courtship
TBR - Darkness Awakened
NEW - Bare Your Soul
Darkness Awakened (Order of the Blade #1) by Stephanie Rowe Bare Your Soul (Body and Soul, #1) by Rochelle Paige

Divination Games:
TBR - What He Doesn't Know
NEW - Wicked Games
What He Doesn't Know (What He Doesn't Know, #1) by Kandi Steiner Wicked Games (Games, #1) by Jessica Clare

Haunted Houses:
🍂 Recommend a Paranormal Romance, OR book that is scary, OR a book with a dark cover
TBR - Ill Wind
Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine

🍂 Recommend a book with close family or friends, OR a book where a death is a factor in the story, OR a book with celebration, OR a book with flowers on cover
TBR - A Father for Christmas
NEW - When We Touch
A Father for Christmas (A Veteran's Christmas, #1) by Rachelle Ayala When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) by Brenda Novak

message 44: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2172 comments Laura wrote: "Hey Mary Megan, i know me and you usually read different books, so i have put most my non paranormal reads i have enjoyed, the final one was paranormal but it had a kind of regency romance feel to ..."

Thanks for the picks. These look great!

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexsi) | 779 comments Am I to late? I've had a lot on this month and lost track of time

message 46: by Sonja (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:44PM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1045 comments Hi Suzanne!
I'm not going to lie, some of my 'new' were likely on your TBR shelf, but I noticed they were far back so I'm bringing them back to the spotlight! If you need any repicks, let me know!
Also, it should be noted, my TBR list has increased.... *sigh* LOL!

Jack o Lanterns:
🍂 TBR:
Black Night (face on cover)
🍂 NEW(ish): A Promise of Fire (face on cover and some orange - a good series I really need to continue!)
Black Night (Black Wings, #2) by Christina Henry A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Bouchet

Costumes:
🍂 TBR:
The Chosen (hiding something)
🍂 TBR: Her Other Secret (romantic suspense)
🍂 NEW: Idol (h hides something about herself – GREAT series!)
The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15) by J.R. Ward Her Other Secret (Whitaker Island, #1) by HelenKay Dimon Idol (VIP, #1) by Kristen Callihan

Trick or Treating:
🍂 TBR:
A Bad Day for Romance (better rating than cover looks)
🍂 NEW: Santerra's Sin (This is two-fold. The new cover is YUMMY, and the old one is DEFINITELY better book that cover suggests!)
A Bad Day for Romance (Bad Day, #5) by Sophie Littlefield Old: Santerra's Sin by Donna Kauffman New: Santerra's Sin A Loveswept Classic Romance by Donna Kauffman

Mischief Night:
🍂 TBR:
What a Pirate DesiresWhat a Pirate Desires (pirates are ‘bad boys/girls’)
🍂 NEW(ish): The Duchess Deal (H likes to think he’s a bad boy – really great book, one of my faves)
What a Pirate Desires by Michelle Beattie The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1) by Tessa Dare

Bobbing for Apples:
🍂 NEW(ish):
Silent in the Grave (red – apple! - on cover! And a fun series!)
🍂 NEW(ish): The Duchess War (red cover - I LOVE this series and noticed you had a few of the novellas read and on TBR. The first two in this series are my absolute fave so def bumping this one up your list! )
Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1) by Deanna Raybourn The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1) by Courtney Milan

Divination Games:
🍂 TBR:
Mercury Striking (part of series)
🍂 TBR: Do You Want to Start a Scandal (part of series) I read this one out of order, but it didn’t lessen the story at all.
🍂 NEW(ish): A Lady by Midnight (part of series, continue the series!)
Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4) by Tessa Dare A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) by Tessa Dare

Haunted Houses:
🍂 TBR:
Hidden (paranormal, dark cover)
🍂 NEW(ish): Firelight (paranormal, dark cover – and a surprise hit for me!)
Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan

🍂 TBR:
Portrait in Death (death in story – and looks to be the next one you're set to read)
🍂 TBR: A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (death in story, celebration and flowers on cover)
Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) by J.D. Robb A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2) by Dianne Freeman

message 47: by Sonja (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:33PM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1045 comments Rebecca wrote: "Am I to late? I've had a lot on this month and lost track of time"

KarenH, I can pick for Rebecca. Don't want her to miss out!

message 48: by Hazel (last edited Sep 24, 2019 02:24PM) (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2053 comments Hi Fran

Here are my selections for you. Hopefully there are some new choices you will enjoy.

Jack o Lanterns:
🎃 TBR: Will & Patrick Meet the Family (Wake Up Married, #2) by Leta Blake (orange cover)
🎃 NEW: The Hard Truth About Sunshine by Sawyer Bennett (orange cover)

Costumes:
👻 TBR: Crash Plus Expenses by Astrid Amara (hidden secrets)
👻 NEW: The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons (hidden identity)

Trick or Treating:
🎃 TBR: Overnight Love (Dead Heat Ranch #1.5) by Nicole Edwards High rating 4.28 boring cover
🎃 NEW: The Controversial Princess (The Smoke & Mirrors Duology #1) by Jodi Ellen Malpas High rating 4.27 boring cover

Mischief Night:
👻TBR: His Rebel (Rebel, #1) by Alexa Riley (Bad girl)
👻NEW: The Nerd and the Marine (The Morrison Family, #1) by D.R. Grady (practical jokes)

Bobbing for Apples:
🎃 TBR: Remembrance (The Mediator, #7) by Meg Cabot (red cover)
🎃NEW: Something Borrowed by Louisa George (food industry)

Divination Games:
👻TBR: Defiant Queen (Mount Trilogy, #2) by Meghan March (2nd book in series)
👻NEW: The Beach Wedding (Married in Malibu, #1) by Lucy Kevin (1st in series)

Haunted Houses:
🎃TBR: Let's Get Textual by Teagan Hunter (dark cover)
🎃NEW: Deliver (Deliver, #1) by Pam Godwin (dark cover)

👻TBR: The Embattled Road (Lost and Found, #0.5) by J.M. Madden (features death)
👻NEW: With the Band by Natasha Preston (family/friends)

Happy reading x

message 49: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 826 comments Chaos Book Reviews, Hello!

I hope you find something interesting this month to read.

Jack o Lanterns:
TBR: The Moth and the Flame (When Rivals Play, #2) by B.B. Reid
New: Storm Born (Dark Swan #1) by Richelle Mead

Costumes:
TBR: Lies by Kylie Scott
New: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich

Trick or Treating:
TBR: Let's Get Textual by Teagan Hunter
New: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Mischief Night:
TBR: Diary of a Bad Boy by Meghan Quinn
New: Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1) by Robyn Carr

Bobbing for Apples:
TBR: Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade, #2) by Jennifer Estep
New: The Opposite of You (Opposites Attract, #1) by Rachel Higginson

Divination Games:
TBR: White Hot (Hidden Legacy, #2) by Ilona Andrews
New: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Haunted Houses::
TBR: A Fistful of Fire (A Madison Fox, #2) by Rebecca Chastain
New: Knights of Stone Mason (Highland Gargoyles, #1) by Lisa Carlisle

TBR: Have My Baby (Crescent Cove, #1) by Taryn Quinn
New: Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr

Happy Reading

message 50: by Nancy H (last edited Sep 24, 2019 04:00PM) (new)

Nancy H | 934 comments Hi LaurLa,
We have such similar tastes that I kept picking ones for you that you have already read - lol. But I think I have found enough that you will have some new ones on your list! Here are your picks and if you need me to change any of them, I will be happy to do so.

Jack o'Lanterns: Mostly orange cover - Killer Secrets; Face on cover (and a quick fun read!) - At the Stroke of Midnight
Killer Secrets by Katie Reus At the Stroke of Midnight (The Naughty Princess Club, #1) by Tara Sivec

Costumes: Romantic suspense - Slow Ride; A character hides something about himself (and a really good read!) - Lady Helena Investigates
Slow Ride (Road to Love, #2) by Lori Foster Lady Helena Investigates (Scott-De Quincy Mysteries, #1) by Jane Steen

Trick or Treat: Attractive and yummy cover - Since You've Been Gone; Chocolates on cover - always attractive, and two hot guys in the story - Criminal Confections
Since You've Been Gone by Anouska Knight Criminal Confections (A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery, #1) by Colette London

Mischief Night: Two main characters who cause trouble - A Curious Beginning and a ghost who likes to cause trouble - Ham Bones (I LOVE both of these series!)
A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7) by Carolyn Haines

Bobbing for Apples: Food on cover - Buns (I love this series!); Food industry - Can't Stand the Heat
Buns (Hudson Valley, #3) by Alice Clayton Can't Stand the Heat (Recipe for Love #1) by Louisa Edwards

Divination Games: Books in series - Just Like Heaven and High Five (another series I LOVE!)
Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5) by Janet Evanovich

Haunted House: Paranormal - Eleventh Grave in Moonlight; Something scary and alcoholics ARE scary - Starting Over
Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11) by Darynda Jones Starting Over (Treading Water, #3) by Marie Force

Dia de los Muertos: Death - Taken in Death or whichever one in this series you are on; Flowers on cover - The Marriage Promise
Taken in Death (In Death, #37.5) by J.D. Robb The Marriage Promise (Billionaire Games, #4) by Sandra Edwards

Happy Reading!

« previous 1 3