Start by marking “The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)

The Luckiest Lady in London

(The London Trilogy #1)

Felix Rivendale, the Marquess of Wrenworth, is The Ideal Gentleman, a man all men want to be and all women want to possess. Felix himself almost believes this golden image. But underneath is a damaged soul soothed only by public adulation.

Louisa Cantwell needs to marry well to support her sisters. She does not, however, want Lord Wrenworth—though he seems inexplicably inte
Mass Market Paperback, 276 pages
Published November 5th 2013 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about The Luckiest Lady in London, please sign up.
Alisa Wilhelm You could see if your library uses Overdrive.com, or you could buy an ebook.

Start your review of The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

Yes, Loki! Yes, it is!

I hate the word "delightful." It feels like such an insipid word, but fuck it, if you ask me to sum up this book in one word, right off the top of my head, delightful it is.

Simply put, this book made me happy, this book made me smile. In a 3-bear rating system, this book would be Baby Bear to my Goldilocks because it is just fucking right. I cannot ask more than that of a comfort read. I really have to restrain myself in this review in order to contain it to a reasonable le
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

4,5 "A cut above average" Stars thanks to the impeccable writing and characterisation. A great "internal conflict" driven Romance (one of my favourite tropes) the like of which I haven't seen in a long time.

Already in the prologue we are aptly given the representation of a full-circle picture of what a totally dysfunctional Victorian family is. Felix, the future Marquess of Wrenworth (and hero), is the product of a miserable marriage, where the consorts use him as a leverage to their consta
Mei
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
What a fun, fun book!

I loved the heroine who was able to turn tables on the hero! Go girl!!!

Louisa is almost "on the shelf" since it has been 8 years that she should have her debut. This is her last chance to find a husband and thus secure the future for her mother and sisters and avoid destitution.

She very determined to succede. And she's very clever on how to do it. Nothing is left on chance. She's pianified everything: her behaviour, her look, her prospective husbands, and she carries on very
Kiki
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
5 I-Love,love,LOVE-the-book stars

She turned around sharply. “What do you want, Lord Wrenworth?”
The formality of her address—the depth of the chasm that separated them—made him dizzy.
“Louisa—”
“There is a time and place for that name—and the time is now behind us,” she said, chilling him to the bone.

The characters and their story,left my heart pounding mindlessly. Its been an absolutely pleasure to read their journey.They might me frictional but their simplicity and love touched my heart.

Al George
Blargh

Ok, I am so not rehashing this story. Read every other review and you'll get the synopsis you need.

If you're Becca, don't read this yet. And I'm leaving out many of my thoughts so you and I can discuss as you read it.

My Thoughts
1) Sherry Thomas can write like a mo fo. She can create some seriously steamy stuff. She's got an imagination. Get it, girl, you deserve all of the praise you received for this book. But, girl, you do not deserve praise for how you wrapped this sh!te up. Here it i
K.J. Charles
We often hear about bad boys in romance but we rarely get people who behave *actually shittily* without taking the entire book down with them because the reader exchanges hope of an HEA for hope the bastard steps on Lego forever. This book pulls that off with unbelievable panache.

Louisa is an impoverished gentlewoman who needs to marry. Felix is a marquess, born into a hate-filled marriage, rejected by both parents, who has reinvented himself as the perfect gentleman in order to manipulate ever
Bubu
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr, 5-stars, perfect
This is one of the most fascinating HR I've ever read.

It's the story of Louisa Cantwell and Felix Rivendale, and a duel of wits and emotions all the way through the book. The outset is easily explained: Louisa has to marry well in order to keep her family from poverty. Felix is the usual arrogant, cold-hearted and rich aristocrat who has no intention to marry for at least another decade, and then only to secure an heir.

Heard it all before? Yup! But this is where the similarities to other HR end
Verity
Sigh-worthy quotes from the smoke-and-mirrors Ideal Gentleman :

“You are right,” he said half a minute later. “The grapes are too tart, especially compared to the sweetness of you.”

“I can never be in you deep enough. Never.”

“No,” he said. “I only want you.”

“I will,” he told her. “I will keep waiting.”

“The Ideal Gentleman might have always had what he wanted, but I have not. I know perfectly well what it is like to wish for affection and receive none in return.”

“That’s for your family. I want you
Paula
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

-- A Romantic Book Affairs Review

Felix Rivendale, the Marquess of Wrenworth, is the most eligible bachelor of London. Any woman would be lucky to have Felix. He’s wealthy, charming, and handsome. Growing up he was a pawn in his parent’s marriage. His mother never loved his father and his father obsessively loved his mother. His mother used Felix to her advantage and his father withheld his love for Felix. Because of his parent’s reckless actions in their marriage, Felix is a broken, vulnerable m
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
I have never read a book by Sherry Thomas before. You can now bet your sweet patooties I will be snatching up as many of her books I can find.

You want a smart, realistic, and willing to sacrifice for her family but NOT martyr herself heroine?

DONE.

You want a closed off, hidden, Ideal Gentleman, with a delicious sense of humor hero?

DONE.

You want a non-forced storyline of two people navigating personal issues involving trust, love, and learning to reveal and grow together?

From the banter tha
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Wow I loved this book! Definitely the best romance of the year. It was refreshing and truthful, unlike a lot of historical nowadays. Great writing, it might be hard to get into, but it does pick up a lot. There's a lot of tasteful, steamy scenes. Overall, an awesome read.
Caz
I’m a huge fan of Sherry Thomas’ writing, and of the way she injects a degree of grit and realism into a genre that is so often seen through rose-coloured lenses and softened around the edges. Her characters are, for the most part, rich, titled and good-looking, but it’s what’s underneath the surface veneer that really marks her books out as something special for me. Their emotional lives and the way they react to the situations in which they find themselves feel natural, despite the heightened ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
This was so much better than Private Arrangements! The story is tons better and the characters are actually likeable, and nobody uses love as a weapon (though sex gets a workout).

Okay, let me backup. While prologues are almost always a mistake, this one was not only well-done, but also absolutely necessary. The reader needs to understand how very damaged Felix is beneath his calm scheming and that's the best, most efficient way to do it. Plus, Thomas does an excellent job keeping it both succinc
Lady Wesley
I chose this book as one of the Best of 2014.

* * * * *

Five lucky stars to this clever reworking of the gorgeous, perfect man marrying the impecunious, plain girl. And then falling in love.
OLT
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's reading magic in a Sherry Thomas romance. It's the great way she writes, the imperfections and depth of her characters, the very rough path to the HEA where I actually feel the pain of the H or h, something I'm often clinically removed from with romance by other authors, and the great feeling of relief and happiness the books give me when the H and h do finally get to their HEA.

Ordinarily, the poor little unloved rich boy hero who grows up to avoid the trap of love is not a character I f
Princess under cover
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite liked this one. Thought H's adult behavior was a little too exaggerated for the upbringing he had. But then, ST's books tend to be melodramatic. I like this mainly for the heroine, how smart she is, how she knows to combat him and intrigue him and please him and tease him. I'm not exactly sure why H fell in love with her tho, other than her ability to hold her own against him (and of course their physical chemistry). I suppose that's enough. I do understand how she ultimately fell in love ...more
new_user
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How does Sherry Thomas always get me to like unlikable characters?! It's witchcraft! The heat in this one was off the charts! I liked this much better than the Fitzwhatsit set she wrote last. No saints here. Heroine was as dauntless and cheeky as the hero. Get very tired of the dear-me types in historicals. Loved that the hero and heroine were frank about loving her sexuality (all the teasing about wantonness, LOL). Definitely recommend.
Vintage
What a horrible, horrible hero. I loved him. I really wish Sherry Thomas had called this bookThe Ideal Gentleman because he most certainly was not.

Not quite sure why I buy these complete and total reprobates in a historical setting when I want to drown the Harlequin HP Old school heroes for ridiculous punishing kissed and arm twisting as well as the modern Greek/Spanish/Italian/Sicilian billionaires and their slut shaming and blackmailing. These Georgian, Regency and Victorian anti-heroes are ju
Ira
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know Sherry Thomas is a fabulous author but after reading Not Quite a Husband and had been lurking her other books, I tried to avoid her books.

Nothing wrong with them, infact Not Quite a Husband is a very good book, just that she love writing stories which either H or h having fidelity issues, just not my cup a tea.

So, imagine how happy I was when I found this book:)

Felix, the hero was growing up in a dysfunctional family, from such a young age he already learn how to manipulate a situation fo
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Setting: 1880s England

Louisa Cantwell vowed to always care for her sisters, so she must marry well and therefore sets out for her Season to catch a rich husband.
When Louisa meets Felix Rivendale, dubbed as society's "Ideal Gentleman" she cannot believe he would even bother to pay attention to her.
Although Felix has sworn off marriage until he is much older, he realises Louisa isn't just an ordinary young woman and presents a challenge to him.
Now to everyone else Felix is a paragon of virtue,
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Either I was in the right mood for a historical or this is really a lovely story.

You know how characters can mess up your reading experience? In this case it is the opposite. Both Felix Rivendale and Louisa Cantwell are wonderful. They are both flawed, they make mistakes (especially the marquis). What I loved is how natural and human they are and how they have perfectly valid reasons for what they are doing.

She is an ordinary young woman, she needs 'bust improvers' and she never hides her desir
*The Angry Reader*
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, historicals
At around 20% I was so angry I thought I’d smash my iPad. I went into the kitchen to peel potatoes and breathe. What. A. Ride.

Of course y’all know that Sherry Thomas is incomparable. I feel like we wouldn’t be GR friends if you hadn’t read at least one of her books. And I know that if you’ve read one you’ve read at least 3 and have the rest on your TBR. Thomas and Duran are the mountain top. And I have been to the mountain top.

Felix is awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Whatever you’re picturing he’s
Louisa
The main female protagonist in this is Louisa Cantwell, all-round average girl. The male lead is Felix, Marquess of Wrenworth. My first ever boyfriend was also named Felix, and my name is Louisa. Very sadly, he was nowhere near being a lord but it made for some very hilarious/awkward reading, personally speaking...

He had been trying not to think of the wedding night—no need to torment himself lusting after what would soon be his. But sometimes he couldn’t quite help the direction of his thoug
Mo
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

It kind of missed the mark for me. I just found some parts a bit unbelievable. I don't think Louisa would have been as forward as she was. And Felix's "turnaround" was sort of instant! It took me a while to get used to the writing style but it did flow in the end. I did enjoy it ... but not as much as I would other Historicals that I have read in the past.

Friendship he would permit, and perhaps some mild affection. Love, however, was out of the question.

I wish I could have loved it
Sam (AMNReader)
Good grief, this book is fan-flipping-tastic. I've never read Sherry Thomas before, and right off the bat, she earns a favorite spot on my shelf. The first historical romance to go there, if I'm not mistaken.

I was so invested in and so adored this couple. The dirty talk was off the charts. The sweet talk was unreal. The writing was substantive.The characters had depth and believability.

I'm so glad this was recommended to me!
Aou
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4 and a half stars.

I liked the plot and MCs. Heroine was great and H was not as cruel as some old school HP heroes.
Addie H
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF 38%

The writing does not really work for me. There is so much tell rather than show. Dialogues and interactions are brief and dull.

But most importantly, I can't stand Felix.

His smug arrogance, they ways he use and manipulate others, look down upon his peers, and how he talk to and treat Louisa is just vile.

- “You’ve done this before, haven’t you? Lured otherwise respectable young women in difficult circumstances into prostituting themselves.”
He looked genuinely shocked at her accusation. “O
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I have suddenly developed SUCH a penchant for regency romance. Might have something to do with the fact that my library hasn't uploaded any new YA titles in weeks and I'm dying for some new listens. I also might finally be turning into my mother. =) Either way, I'm enjoying myself!

ETA: After reading A Conspiracy in Belgravia, I still wasn't ready to say goodbye to Sherry Thomas' luscious writing, so I decided to re-listen to this one. And it is still one of my favorite historical romance novels

• What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • A Lady's Code of Misconduct (Rules for the Reckless, #5)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

The London Trilogy (3 books)
  • Private Arrangements (The London Trilogy #2)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)