Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-thon #3 - Team Cookie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 10, 2019 05:42PM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Hello Team Cookie! This topic is just for you to discuss your strategy and progress throughout the week. Make sure to take a moment to read over the rules of the challenge here before you dive in.

Team Roster
Kathy Jo (co-leader)
Emily (co-leader)
MKay
Lesa
Jackie
Kathy
Edie
Storm
Jackie
Sarah E
Rachelnyc

Quest #1 - Bookshelves Challenge
(view spoiler)

Quest 2 - Visiting Home

Sometimes a quest takes you closer to home than you expect. The next step of the journey focuses on your "home" in the ATY group.

Read 10 books that are somehow related to the ATY group. This includes (limited to) the following:

- A books with that starts with a letter found in "AROUND THE YEAR"
- A book that one of the moderators rated as 5 stars
- A book for the 2019 or 2020 challenge
- A book for the Fall/Autumn Challenge
- A book you originally discovered within the group
- A book from ATY's "lesser known" book list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 2: by Kathy Jo (last edited Sep 06, 2019 05:12PM) (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Hello team! So excited to get started.
Currently reading THE return of the King (Lord of the Rings #3) and not very motivated, so hopefully a good read-a-thon is what I need to kick me into gear. Just about 60 pages in, so it will count.
Top shelf options:
Adventure
Sci-if
5 stars
All Time Favorites

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments Hi Team. Looking forward to working with you all!

I'm currently reading Broken Bone China by Lauren Childs. I have 235 pages left.

It could fit:
mystery
contemporary
wishlist

message 4: by Edie (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:31PM) (new)

Edie | 848 comments Hi team... this sounds like fun.

Ready to start The Fault in Our Stars It can fit for:

contemporary
stand-alone
5-stars
coming-of-age
realistic-fiction
wishlist
faves
all-time-favorites

I am assuming that the "exact match" for bookshelves rule does not include capitalization, since none of the bookshelves seem to use capitalization.

Also a question as to whether "library" and "library book" are perhaps the same? I realize they don't match, but having looked at bookshelves for several books, I find "library" but not "library book". Book is sort of implied with many of these.

I will try to finish my book this weekend. I will then hit pause while I have hip surgery on Monday. I hope to be back in action and ready to read on Wednesday while I ice and elevate my leg.

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7391 comments Mod
HI TEAM!

I’m currently on a bus with 50 teenagers so when I get back to my computer (and find my sanity again), I’ll copy over our spreadsheet and we can get planning/reading.

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Edie, I would say that capitalization does not count, but library and library-book would be two different shelves.

message 7: by Storm (new)

Storm I'm gonna read Charlotte's web first.

It works for:

wishlist
5-stars
all-time-favorites
realistic-fiction

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I've started working on the spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

You should be able to add your books to Quest #1 Planning tab! We will use the Completed Books tab to track the shelves we have completed across the whole challenge!

message 9: by Lesa (last edited Sep 06, 2019 11:17PM) (new)

Lesa Divine | 6 comments Im reading Nevernight Bookshelf *5 stars, all time favorites,

And I am reading Gods of Jade and Shadow Bookshelf *historial fiction, retelling, wishlist, female author, cover love, adventure

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments I'm reading A Single Man which would work for the LGBT shelf.

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Good morning!

Ok so I'm thinking that everyone should add their own books to the spreadsheet (you all have editing access... if you don't, let me know!) under the Quest #1 Planning tab. That will help us identify which bookshelves we are missing books for and we can plan accordingly.

When you're done with a book, you can post about it in here, and me or Kathy Jo will look at what you finished and where it would best fit based on the Planning tab, and we will add it to the Read-A-Thon Completion tab.

We only have to read 15 bookshelves out of the 25ish that are given to us, so we definitely have some flexibility there.

Happy reading today!

message 12: by MKay (new)

MKay | 55 comments Hello team! I feel behind already as I spent the evening in the ER with my mom and got home after midnight. Now getting ready to go back to the hospital but I should get some reading there and planning to listen to audiobook on the way.
I am currently reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail so I need to see if it is on our shelves or not.

message 13: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Hi all. I'm excited for the team challenge!

I just started Frankenstein and it could meet the following:

wishlist
sci-fi
all-time-favorites

Emily, can you please add me to the spreadsheet? I was a late addition to the team...

message 14: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Rachel, you've been added! Welcome!

message 15: by Edie (new)

Edie | 848 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Hi all. I'm excited for the team challenge!

I just started Frankenstein and it could meet the following:

wishlist
sci-fi
all-time-favorites

Emily, can you please add me to the spreadsheet? I was..."

Welcome Rachel,
It's great to have you as a teammate again.

message 16: by Edie (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:27AM) (new)

Edie | 848 comments Emily wrote: "I've started working on the spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

You should be able to add your books to Quest #1 Plan..."

Emily, I don't seem to be on the spreadsheet. Would you please add me? Ignore this, I was able to add myself. Thanks for being our spreadsheet wizard!

message 17: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Looks like you've been added!

message 18: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Good morning folks!
My morning hasn't gone as expected, but sounds like everyone has had challenges already! But real life is more important, so don't feel bad if things get in the way.
MKay, hope your mom gets better. Take care of her and just read when you have free time.

I'm going to take a look at the spreadsheet and then get started reading. Thanks Emily for making it!

message 19: by Kathy Jo (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:48AM) (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments I've found our mascot- it's my new profile picture. 😀

https://images.app.goo.gl/MsM4v6U2w8h...

message 20: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1346 comments Mod
Good morning! I've added my current read to the planning page, but I probably won't be doing any reading at all until this evening. It's Gameday!

message 21: by MKay (new)

MKay | 55 comments Kathy Jo wrote: "I've found our mascot- it's my new profile picture. 😀

https://images.app.goo.gl/MsM4v6U2w8h..."

Perfect!

message 22: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I love that, Kathy Jo!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments Love it, Kathy Jo!

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:06PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Hi team!! I'm late joining in so it's going to take me a minute to catch up. I have to read through the challenge rules. I'm hoping this will get me out of bed and reading a little more. I finally picked up a book last week after months of no reading at all, so I'm on page 250/369 of Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened.No reading today though :/ I'll have to see where it fits in. Missed the group lots xx

Edit: My current book wont work bc I have less than 125 pages to go. I'll move on to something else tomorrow.

message 25: by Edie (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:02PM) (new)

Edie | 848 comments Tracy wrote: "Hi team!! I'm late joining in so it's going to take me a minute to catch up. I have to read through the challenge rules. I'm hoping this will get me out of bed and reading a little more. I finally ..."

Welcome Tracy!

Just my opinion, but given it has been a while since you have read this book, you might go back to page 240 (or some logical starting point that leaves at least 125 pages to read) and then read enough of this book to count.

message 26: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I just finished my first book of the Read-A-Thon! The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager, which was so, so good. It also fits 8 categories, so I just assigned it to the 2019-Reading-Challenge shelf, since there was only one other book that met that requirement.

On the planning tab, I turned my column for the book green, as well as the bookshelf, so it will be obvious that that bookshelf has already been used.

Make sure you are either updating the spreadsheet with your finished books, or you are posting here for us to update!

message 27: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Good morning folks! Don't forget to post your completed books in here or on the spreadsheet... I hope we can all get some reading done today to move to Quest 2!

message 28: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Good morning team cookie!

I hope to finish Return of the King today- only 90 pages left. I needed something light, so I started Hardcore 24 and should finish it today or tomorrow.

message 29: by Edie (new)

Edie | 848 comments I finished The Fault in Our Stars 312 pages total.

message 30: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

I can start Six of Crows tonight which would work for September or September 2019. If I cant get into it I can start On the Come Up which works for music.

message 31: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Thanks for the welcome Edie & Emily and welcome Tracy!

O am working today but am hoping to finish Frankenstein tonight and will update as soon as I do.

message 32: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Great!

Edie, I've put The Fault in Our Stars under the coming-of-age shelf. Great job!

Just a reminder that we only need to fill 15 out of the 25 bookshelves that are listed, so focus on reading what you want to read! We will fill it in where we can.

message 33: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1346 comments Mod
Good morning! Just finished The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage, which I have put in the completed tab under Sci-fi, since that was the quest task that had the fewest options available. Sadly, I did not enjoy this book. Onwards!

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Great job, Jackie! Hopefully your next read will be more enjoyable!

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments My company has gone and everything is cleaned up. Whew! I can read again and hope to finish Broken Bone China at least by the end of today.

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments Finished Broken Bone China. Chose the "Mystery" bookshelf and added it to the spreadsheet.

message 37: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Great, thanks Kathy!

message 38: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Good evening anyone! We seem to be a quiet bunch this weekend :)

Anyone have an update on the books they've been reading? How are they going for you?

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments I've started two books and have added them to the spreadsheet:
The Library at the Edge of the World which I'm listening to at 2x speed. lol!
Also:
Comet in Moominland which is a 175p children's book that should be quick to read.

message 40: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments I finished Return of the King and will update the spreadsheet.

message 41: by MKay (new)

MKay | 55 comments Didn't get much reading in, but was able to listen to my audiobook on the way to pick up my mother. Up to chapter 11 of Persusión so hoping I get through it quickly.

message 42: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Finished Hardcore 24. Will update the spreadsheet. Now to figure out what to read next. I have about 6 more prompts for my ATY challenge.

message 43: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Sarah E wrote: "I've finished Hunted, by Meagan Spooner today."

I update the spreadsheet- I put it under 5 star and mine under Library book.

message 44: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 09, 2019 05:17AM) (new)

Yay! Halfway to finishing our first quest, guys!

Kathy Jo, I've just caught up ATY (until Tuesday, when we start a new week and I fall behind again lol). I'm reading in order, so it's been a bit tougher for me to stay focused on it, but I'm working on my NPR book now.

message 45: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Emily, what are you reading for NPR? That's one I haven't done yet.

message 46: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

about 25% through On the Come Up for the music shelf

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2296 comments I finished Comet in Moominland and chose to put it for the Female-Authors shelf.

message 48: by Storm (new)

Storm finished Charlotte's Web and updated the spreadsheets for it. Now to look for my next read!

message 49: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 09, 2019 10:01AM) (new)

Kathy Jo wrote: "Emily, what are you reading for NPR? That's one I haven't done yet."

I'm rereading I'll Give You the Sun because it is one of my all time favorites but I've only read it once. I'm still shocked at how beautiful the writing is, and I highly recommend!

Great work, Kathy and Storm!

message 50: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

You ever just hug a book when you finish it because it's so delightful?

My husband just looked at me like I was nuts, but I'll Give You the Sun totally did that for me. Adding it to the spreadsheet!

« previous 1 3