Start by marking “Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)” as Want to Read:
Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)

Lord Edgware Dies

(Hercule Poirot #9)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  28,922 ratings  ·  1,581 reviews
An Agatha Christie mystery story. Poirot had been present when Jane bragged of her plan to ‘get rid of’ her estranged husband. Now the monstrous man was dead. And yet the great Belgian detective couldn’t help feeling that he was being taken for a ride. After all, how could Jane have stabbed Lord Edgware to death in his library at exactly the same time she was seen dining w ...more
Published 1977 by Collins for the Crime Club (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Edgware Dies, please sign up.
Navendu Agarwal I think you are talking about pince nez....
As pince nez helps poirot to connect the missing dots in solving the case.
They were reallly very import.…more
I think you are talking about pince nez....
As pince nez helps poirot to connect the missing dots in solving the case.
They were reallly very import.(less)

·  28,922 ratings  ·  1,581 reviews

Start your review of Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
Luffy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book devoid of genius levels of narration but with the customary gusto of Agatha Christie is still a solid entry in the Hercule Poirot series.

What enhanced the reading experience was the system of chapter allocation. Christie varies her ways of indenting her story from book to book. But this time the chapters were short, with titles of their own. I liked that.

There was no stupefying twists present but the murderer...well I don't want to spoil the fun for you. Altogether the translators keep o
Evgeny
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Incomparable (according to himself) Hercule Poirot overheard a famous American actress saying she would love to kill her husband. Lo and behold, some time later the guy really was killed. The suspect was sort of obvious in the beginning, only it turned out not only the actress has absolutely no motive for doing the deed, but it was physically impossible for her to do as she was at a dinner with twelve other people all the time (thus another titles of the book: Thirteen at Dinner).
Dinner

The problem in
Jeff
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it
Take it from me, nothing is as "riveting" as Hercules Poirot hanging about letting the little grey cells percolate.

If you’re looking for the master detective to bitch slap a Duke or put the moves on some English babe or pull out a gat and plug a few holes in the snobbish butler, move on dear reader. Poirot thinks. A lot.

In this volume, he does lots and lots of contemplating and not much in the way of getting about and searching for clues. Let that pompous fool, Inspector Japp, do most of the leg
Bionic Jean
Which is a better title, in your opinion: Lord Edgware Dies or “Thirteen at Dinner”? It depends, you might say. When does Lord Edgware Die? Is it a spoiler? And what is the significance of the number thirteen, at dinner?

Well to have thirteen guests at dinner is, according to superstition, unlucky. The legend goes that if thirteen are present at a dinner, then bad luck will come to the person who first leaves the table. And, yes Lord Edgware does die, although not before the story starts, so that
Adrian
Review to follow tomorrow, but woo hoo, was that good or what ??

(Rhetorical English question 😬)

And yes it was good, a great story, fabulous characters and a real twist at the end as Poirot solves the crime(s).
I'm reading this as part of a read "all of the Poirots" challenge, and I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying it. Some of them I have read and remember, some of them I remember from David Suchet's excellent portrayal on TV, and in some ways the best are those that I just don't know. This f
Susan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
American actress, Jane Wilkinson, Lady Edgware, approaches Poirot, asking him to help her obtain a divorce from her cold, estranged husband. However, when Poirot, and Hastings, go to see Lord Edgware, he seems to have no issue with divorcing her. It seems that Jane Wilkinson, after all, will have her freedom and then the probable becomes the definite, when Lord Edgware is found dead.

This is not my favourite Poirot novel, although it is always delightful to have Hastings and Japp both involved i
Marija Simić
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lata
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I actually changed my mind about this book right at the end, during Poirot’s gathering people together to reveal the murderer. I found I did not like the characters involved in the case, and this is the first time I’ve found Hastings genuinely tiresome. Poirot chastising Hastings for being so simple-minded throughout the book had me wholeheartedly agreeing.
Then, Poirot put one of the suspects through the wringer because the suspect had dared to tell Poirot a series of really dumb sto
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, as the title says, Lord Edgeware dies. His wife tells everyone she’s going to kill him and how. But when he does get killed she has an air tight alibi, even though she was seen at the scene of the crime. It’s up to Poirot to find the true murderer. I don’t think I’ve read a Poirot book before where he says, “I was wrong!” so many times. This one stumped him for quite awhile.
Janete
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in Portuguese in just one sitting, as usual for me when the book is a suspense. I found this book spectacular. I suspected who was the killer from the beginning, since it was too obvious. So I discarded this person from the list of the killers.
Thomas Strömquist
Solid Poirot story, but this time it really feels we have heard it all before - not a single new grip in this one. Poirot often berates himself “I have been blind/an imbecile/a moron” but in this he must set some record. 4-5 times during the investigation this is what he realises...
Piyangie
This is also cleverly executed plot by Agatha Christie.
Lord Edgware, an unpopular aristocrat, is murdered in his home. And who is the initial suspect? His wife, as she wanted to divorce him and remarry. But is she really the culprit? Isn’t there any other who would have wanted him dead, like his nephew, the next in line to the title, who is in the midst of financial crisis? Question after question rises as Christie takes us through the murder mystery where Poirot is dealing with a clever and ca
Jaya
Should stop reading these one-upon-a-time favorites...
Only 3 stars this time around, for old times sake
Geoffrey
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my second favorite Agatha Christie novel, right behind "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." It also has a special place in my heart because it was the first Agatha Christie novel that I actually read. This book made me want to actually read more Christie novels instead of merely watching the film and/or television adaptations. Generally speaking, I love "Lord Edgeware Dies" because I immensely enjoy all of the elements of the book. First, I found the story itself very engaging. Specif ...more
Veronique
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Do you not realize, Hastings, that each and everyone of us is a complete mystery with layers. We each try to judge each other, but nine times out of ten, we are wrong.”

Quite devious, this one. Poirot is his usual self while Hastings bumbles around as clueless as ever :O) This time however the culprit nearly pulls the wool over our favourite Belgian detective... Not the best but entertaining, and rather machiavellian.
Stephanie Anze
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
“Do you know my friend that each one of us is a dark mystery, a maze of conflicting passions and desire and aptitudes?”

Hercule Poirot is approached by one Lady Edgware, who now goes by her maiden name Jane Wilkinson as she is separated from her husband. Jane Wilkinson is in love and wants to get married again but first she needs Lord Edgware to grant her a divorce. She asks Poirot to persuade him do so or else she is going to have to kill her husband. Poirot sees Lord Edgware, he assures him th
Tim
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“And the same evening – the very same evening – Lord Edgware dies. Good title that, by the way. Lord Edgware Dies. Look well on a bookstall.”

I get the impression Christie had a lot of fun with this one. It is a very plot twist heavy book, with every couple of chapters presenting a new clue or red herring that changes your perception of events. I’m rather pleased to say I solved this one, but figuring out who did it did not hurt it in the slightest. This is one of those mystery novels where I del
David Schaafsma
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have never until recently been a mystery reader, so I kind of have a meta-view of them, in a way. I think: what is the attraction to this kind of tightly plotted tale? Maybe it gives us comfort that seemingly intractable problems like global warming can, with a little pluck and luck and Reason and Order, get figured out in time for tea! If we are in the hands of guys like Poirot, we will be JUST FINE.

Anyway, so in this one the problem is seemingly straightforward: Lord Edgware Dies. Surprise!
Alaina
Okay, so when you read a book within the Hercule Poirot Series you know you're going to get one thing and one thing only: a mysterious murder. However, the title of this book gives away who the victim is - Lord Edgware.

Now of course the person you're going to think killed him would be his wife because the women basically boasted that she was going to kill him and how she would do it. But when he died she had an alibi which obviously made me suspicious as fuck.

I feel like Agatha Christie loves t
Herbie
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I was feeling so "eh" about this one as I listened to the audiobook. You know I wasn't thrilled as it took me over 3 weeks to finish it 😬 but man oh man, that ending was cracking.
Laurel Young
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely classic Christie--this is the sort of novel that makes her reputation as Queen of Crime so richly deserved. I'd read it before and STILL got tangled in the red herrings and double, no triple, twists to the point that I questioned whether I had mis-remembered the solution. Poirot is at his best, and so is Hastings--we have to remember that Hastings, without meaning to be, is not a reliable narrator. He puts his own pedestrian spin on things: a suspect says something crucial, and Hastin ...more
Vikas Singh
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Another great piece of crime writing and deduction from the "queen of crime writing". As with most of her novels, even though you are aware that you are intentionally being led on the wrong path, yet when the case is solved in the end you are left gaping at the sheer brilliance of the plot. A very engaging read
Rita
In Thirteen at Dinner aka Lord Edgware Dies, Lady Jane Edgware asks Hercule Poirot to rid her of her husband. He agrees to go see her husband and ask him to give her a divorce. That day Lord Edgware agrees to see Poirot and Hastings. According to Lord Edgware he has already written Lady Edgware agreeing to a divorce but Lady Jane claims never to have received the letter. That night Lord Edgware is murdered.
Lady Jane is of course the prime suspect but she has an airtight alibi. At the time of the
Bill Lynas
Once again Hercule Poirot exercises his little grey cells in another neatly plotted thriller from the Queen of Crime.
Poirot's trusted friend Hastings narrates this tale of murder & false identities just as Watson told us of Holmes' exploits years before. Despite there being the odd murder or two there is plenty of Agatha Christie's wonderful humour on show. The story didn't grip me as much as some of her other work, but it certainly kept me smiling.
mark monday
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are Lord Edgeware, and Murder Has Come to Dinner.

On the menu:

 SNAIL PORRIDGE
o Jabugo Ham, Shaved Fennel

 ROAST FOIE GRAS
o Rhubarb, Braised Konbu and Crab Biscuit

 MOCK TURTLE SOUP (c.1850)
o "Mad Hatter Tea"

 "SOUND OF THE SEA"

 SALMON POACHED IN A LIQUORICE GEL
o
Dina
Karen ⊰✿
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uno_2018
Great mystery, and the usual Christie convoluted plot which has you guessing right until the end.
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Ah, a lovely little piece. I liked how it went through so many twists and turns, then came back to the obvious conclusion.
Iryna *Book and Sword*
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agatha-christie
3.5/5 stars

Pretty good, but a bit convoluted (and not in the best of ways).
I loved the humor and the savagery, and the writing in this one, but there were some parts in it that didn't feel fully cohesive.

My BOOKSTAGRAM
Mansuriah Hassan
Lord Edgware Dies is another classic crime mystery novel by my all time favourite author, Dame Agatha Christie. This is the ninth novel from the Hercule Poirot series. It is a somewhat baffling case, even for the genius that is Hercule Poirot.

Narrated by Poirot's companion Captain Hastings, Lord Edgware Dies is a mystery that will keep readers turning the page. It may be easy for readers to figure out who the murderer is, but not for them to figure out the entire story behind the murder.

The ch

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)