The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Books with twins.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments Can anyone recommend good books with twins as the main characters? I've read a couple books and short stories with a set of twins as a side story, but I can't really recall reading one with twins as the main characters.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) One of my all time favorites: I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. Very much about the relationship between twins... especially when one of them is mentally ill. I love this book.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I haven't read it yet, but YA novel Identical, by Ellen Hopkins is about an identical set of twins. I don't know if it would be interesting to you or not, but it may be worth checking out.

message 4: by Petra-X (new)

Petra-X (mona-lisa-with-eggs) Lori Lansens's The Girls is about conjoined twins. A Proper Education for Girls by Elaine di Rollo is set in Victorian times in India. Sandra Brown's The Switch is a thriller about twins. If you like ghetto spicy there is the wonderful Zane's Head Bangers. There are also quite a lot of vampire books and Harlequin romances featuring twins.

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments Ohh all of these books look really good. Thanks! Any one else care to recommend some?

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments
'The Other' by Thomas Tryon ... ooh, ooh, ooh!!!

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) The Thirteenth Tale
Prophecy of the Sisters
The Truth-Teller's Tale
and of course:
The Twins at St Clare's and
Double Love... ha ha - maybe not quite what you're looking for :P

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I want to read Prophecy of the Sisters so bad...was it good??

message 9: by I (new)

I Read (IReadB00ks) | 2 comments Mirror Image

This might be what you're looking for. The mirror twins are the main characters. I really enjoyed the book when I read it, but that was a long time ago now.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments If you're into horror, Twins:Dead Ringers, is a suggestion - I haven't read it but it was made into the film Dead Ringers by David Cronenburg

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments Petra X wrote: "Lori Lansens's The Girls is about conjoined twins. A Proper Education for Girls by Elaine di Rollo is set in Victorian times in India. Sandra Brown's The Switch is a thriller about twins. If you li..."

I loved The Girls. Wise Children by Angela Carter and Juno and Juliet by Julian Gough (sorry I can't seem to ge the link feature to work for me) are two that are on my list but I haven't read them yet.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I also really liked The Girls, which I had never heard anything about before picking it up on a whim in the bookstore.

I loved Art Corriveau's Housewrights. The twins are not the protagonists per se but they and their relationship to one another form an integral part of the story. This book is slim but beautiful.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments M wrote: "I also really liked The Girls, which I had never heard anything about before picking it up on a whim in the bookstore.

I loved Art Corriveau's Housewrights. The twin..."

Housewrights has been on my shelf for a while. I am going to move it up on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 14: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments I second the opinion on The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. The Thirteenth Tale

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy has a set of twins. And it's an amazing book to boot!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 310 comments Suzanne wrote: "
'The Other' by Thomas Tryon ... ooh, ooh, ooh!!!"

Was gonna suggest this! It"s on my bookshelf, i need to read it!Love the movie.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments There are two prominent characters who are twins in South of Broad, by Pat Conroy.

message 18: by Little (new)

Little I agree with "i know this much is true" by Wally Lamb. one of my all time favorite books. Also the "the Thirteenth Tale" Anther one of my favorites...funny i never realized that two of my favorite books featued twins :)

message 19: by Ro (new)

Ro | 1 comments Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward

I'm a twin and it is the only book I've read so far that I felt really captured twinship well, it's a beautiful book I loved it, wasn't crazy about "I know this much is true", but give Where the Line Bleeds a chance it's my favorite :)

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Line-Blee...

message 20: by Deonna (new)

Deonna | 6 comments In a different twist Guardian of Time by Amanda Gerry has fraternal twins,a king and a princess. It's a great fantasy with a Japanese influence.

message 21: by Marla (last edited Nov 05, 2012 08:28PM) (new)

Marla | 89 comments The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott is a fantasy book about the silver and gold twins of prophesy. Lots of mythical and historical heroes, villains and monsters.

When I was a young teen, there was a series about twin teenage girls. I think Double Date  by Rosamond du Jardin is the first book. I don't know if you can still find them, but I loved them back then.

message 22: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) I really enjoyed reading Rosamund Pilcher's novel Under Gemini. It's about a pair of twin women who are not aware the other exists. After a chance meeting, one asks the other to fill in for her at her fiance's house party. Twin 2 reluctantly attends, and finds she really likes all the people there, including the "fiance" but doesn't know how to tell them all the truth.

message 23: by Dione (new)

Dione Sage | 37 comments Night Road has a set of brother and sister twins in it.

message 24: by Yuliya (last edited Nov 06, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments 1. Two Little Girls in Blue by Mary Higgins Clark Two Little Girls in Blue by Mary Higgins Clark - one twin one kidnapped and other girl was helping to find twin using very strong paranormal twin connection

The different one I'm reading right now! Very good book, also about strong twins connection and love between brother and sister, and how twin deals with death of other twin. The Promised World: A Novel by Lisa Tucker The Promised World A Novel by Lisa Tucker

message 25: by Marla (new)

Marla | 89 comments My daughter, coincidentally, is doing a paper on twins in literature and is going to use Twelfth Night and Lord of the Flies. I haven't read either so I don't know how major the twins are in those stories.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Haven't read Lord of the Flies; they're prominent in Twelfth Night.

message 27: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

message 28: by Jen (last edited Mar 29, 2013 04:30AM) (new)

Jen My favourites series as a young kid wasThe Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport, I think Laura Lee Hope wrote over 60 in the series.

message 29: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 51 comments If you don't mind YA books then A Class Apart and its follow up What Happened in Witches Wood are good. I'm part way through the second one and I'm enjoying it so far.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Not biological twins (as far as I can remember), but two "look exactly alike" people feature strongly in The Prisoner of Zenda.

message 31: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain is also classic with story about identical looking boys

message 32: by Sally (new)

Sally Grotta (Sally_Wiener_Grotta) | 34 comments Definitely The Thirteenth Tale. It's brilliant.

message 33: by Cassie (last edited Apr 03, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

Cassie (clcriddle) | 1 comments Depending on what kind of book you are looking for some that I would recommend Regina's Song
Think Twice
Pieces Of My Sister's Life

As a twin myself I'm always drawn to books involving twins :)

message 34: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Some of Madelyn Le'Engles books have twins in them like Many Waters, I believe. Someone correct me if I've forgotten something..

message 37: by Marla (new)

Marla | 89 comments Coincidentally, I am reading 3 books concurrently that all have twins in it:
Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
A Class Apart by Stephen Henning
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

They all have a male and female set of fraternal twins in the story...what are the chances?

message 38: by Cari (new)

Cari Noga | 3 comments Just posted about this one in another discussion: Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger features twins as the main characters.

message 39: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Cari wrote: "Just posted about this one in another discussion: Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger features twins as the main characters."

just finished reading this book. It the strongest on subject book about twins. And very London-mood like ghost story. Very fascinating book/

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1547 comments Chang and Eng by Darin Straus is a wonderful work of fiction about the real-life conjoined twins who became famous when they joined P T Barnum's circus as the world's first "Siamese Twins."

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1087 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Chang and Eng by Darin Straus is a wonderful work of fiction about the real-life conjoined twins who became famous when they joined P T Barnum's circus as the world's first "Siamese Twins.""

Very interesting book imho!

message 43: by N (new)

N | 104 comments The Penny Vinchenzi series has twins in it - Cecilia is the matriarch of the family but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the first book. There are several in the series.

message 44: by Steven (new)

Steven (steven91) You should defintely check out The Alchemyst and the rest of the series (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel).

message 45: by Landon (new)

Landon Parham (landonparham) | 1 comments First Night of Summer by Landon Parham Twin girls are targeted to be the next victims of a sadistic huntsman. The father must relive a life he tried to escape in order to protect his family.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Leigh (kevinbleigh) | 2 comments Gollup the Woods Twin Power Clean story about twins who go to Ireland looking for hope, but instead end up on an adventure.

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 92 comments If my memory serves me right, the two sons in Steinbeck's East of Eden are twins.

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 2976 comments Bumped by Megan McCafferty feature twin girls separated at birth and living in dystopian near future. I know, sounds like every other YA book right? But, it's a fun and worthwhile read that I really enjoyed.

message 49: by Marla (new)

Marla | 89 comments I read a book that has twins, but it's a spoiler, so I better not list it... :D

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Sisterland is a book about psychic twins. I have it on my TBR list so I can't say how good it is, but I heard about it on NPR and it sounded quite interesting.
I also have Her Fearful Symmetry on my list too.

« previous 1