Start by marking “Fangirl” as Want to Read:
Fangirl

Read Excerpt

Fangirl

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  346,033 Ratings  ·  37,608 Reviews
From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & Park. A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s w
Published September 10th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Fangirl, please sign up.

Joanna
social anxiety
+ Bi-polar father
+ no boyfriend and never been kissed by College age
+ disgust of drunkards, especially those who do it just because…more

social anxiety
+ Bi-polar father
+ no boyfriend and never been kissed by College age
+ disgust of drunkards, especially those who do it just because everyone else does

Me = Cather(less)

Khanh (the meanie)
Actual rating: 2.5
Levi said. “It’s hard for me to get my head around. It’s like hearing that Harry Potter is gay."
Ok, why the fuck are you referencing Harry Potter after having based the entire book around a fictionalized version of Harry Potter known as Simon Snow? Why?!

If you wanted a true sense of fandom, don't look for it here. Don't get me wrong, I liked this book, but it is a coming-of-age book that was misrepresented as a book about fandom. This would have been so much better if it had
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-38.png

It’s like Rainbow Rowell writes in peanut butter and stolen moments and lazy eyelash wishes.

That’s the best and only way I can describe it.

It’s 433 pages of a guaranteed good day.

I’m so jealous of you guys right now, it’s crazy!

Because I can’t read this book for the first time again.

So when you finish it, and you’re just sitting there all thoughtful and wordless (grinning like an 8th grader with prom tickets)… You’re not alone. ;)

photo download3-15.png

This book’s about the good ol’ college experience.

*ahem*… The
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 17, 2013 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
IDK WHAT TO SAY OTHER THAN I LOVED IT. IT WAS SO GOOD. GO READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T.
Steph Sinclair
Apr 28, 2013 Steph Sinclair rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like character-driven novels
Recommended to Steph by: Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
It's time for Rainbow Rowell and I to break up.

I didn't want to admit it, but after reading all of her books now, I can safely say her writing style just isn't for me. It's like that time I cheerfully broke up with Cassandra Clare, though, admittedly, over different reasons. But this time it hurts. It wounds me to realize that I can't join in with all my friends, ride the Rainbow iz Queen bandwagon, roll around in a meadow of flowers that magically whispers witty Rainbow Rowell quotes and feast
Emily May
Sep 16, 2013 Emily May rated it liked it
“Real life was something happening in her peripheral vision.”

I enjoyed Fangirl. Though the way I feel about it is almost exactly how I feel about Eleanor & Park. They are both cute books with complex, well-developed characters, and yet I feel like something is missing that just holds both books back from being truly memorable.

Rowell writes quirky, detailed characters that are different and honest. I liked the antisocial, awkward and weird Cath. I thought her story - both as a popular fanfi
Kristin (KC)
Sep 11, 2013 Kristin (KC) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristin (KC) by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
*6 Stars!*

I loved this story to infinity and beyond...

My favorite types of books are the ones that speak to you; directly to the reader. The ones that resonate so deeply within your psyche that you feel as though you're actually learning things about yourself in the process.

That is exactly what I experienced while reading Fangirl. If you were to judge by the cover and blurb alone, you may think this story is nothing but a quirky, fun read about an interesting girl addicted to writing fanfic. But
Zoë
Nov 29, 2013 Zoë rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Reread October 2015: AHHHHH I felt all the love for this book that I felt the first time plus more! I love everything about this book and I want to reread it again immediately ;D

Original review from December 2013: Fangirl was so cute and relatable! I loved every single character and their relationships with each other. Rainbow Rowell's writing style is wonderful and I can't wait to read more books from her!
Natalie
Jul 09, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reread
“You don’t do magic,” she said, trying to smile modestly and mostly succeeding. “You are magic.”

My annual reread of Fangirl has been completed (2 years and going), and it just gets better and better.
Sometimes, on a gray day, I flip through this book to cheer myself up or to remind myself that everything will be okay. And it does its job every single time, which I’m more than grateful for. It’s like a consolation, an old friend, a favorite old, comfy sweater. Fangirl is everything.
And because of
Lauren
Jan 10, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
And just like that, I'm finished.
Now what?
Dammit Rainbow, I'm going to be lost for the next week now, with no fictional boyfriend to curl up with at night.

I'm sure in your internet travels, you've all seen the comic that says "That moment when you finish a book, look around, and realise that everyone is just carrying on with their lives as though you didn't just experience emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback."

That is me. Right now. At 1am.
Lonely, and alone. With no Levi to cuddle up to.
Cecile
May 14, 2013 Cecile rated it did not like it
***WARNING***

This review is long (even for me) and if you liked the book, you probably shouldn’t bother with it. (And yes, before you ask, the titles do refer to fangirling lore)

1. My Body is Ready

I was quite excited to read Fangirl, at first. Trusted GR friends have loved this book, and I thought it would actually be -a bit- about the fangirling life (which I have been living fully for a year and a half, so I was like “Oooh, my ELEMENT, yay!”)

Dear Got in Himmel, was I wrong.

Anyway. Let the Gam
Komal Mikaelson
Edit: Downgrading the rating to 4. When I look back now, there are some minor issues, which I initially overlooked. So, yeah, maybe a 4.5 read but definitely not a 5.

Initial Reaction After Completion

You know how we all cry at tragedies. We cry with Rose in Titanic, with Liesel in The Book Thief, with Harry in Shell Cottage, with Maya in Forbidden. We are a sentimental specie and we cry a damn lot.
But how many of us cry at an especially beautiful ending. When wounds heal, when all loose ends ar
Christy
5 AMAZING & SPECTACULAR STARS!!!

photo 380f9e23-abec-4179-b04a-191734cbef33_zps82b55f3c.jpg

I just LOVED this book! It made me so happy! Everything about it- just fantastic!

Cath is a twin. She is a writer. She is a Simon Snow fan. Quite possibly the biggest Simon Snow fan there is. Cather’s big thing is fanfiction. She takes her most favorite books, and writes her own stories. She makes the two main guys in the books gay and in love.
"It's bad enough that you have homemade Simon Snow posters," Reagan had said last night while she was getting read
Ariel
Aug 17, 2013 Ariel rated it really liked it
WELL. FANGIRL. IT’S KIND OF A BIG DEAL RIGHT NOW. I read it, so let’s talk about it!

Things I liked:
- The examination of fanfiction as a type of literature
- The importance of family through sibling and parent relationships
- The importance of moving on and letting go (although I felt this plot point was drobbed and underdeveloped.. but the idea was there!)
- Adorable adorable romance
- Showing the reality of social awkwardness
- The alternate Harry Potter land
- That it made me pull almost an all-nigh
Lola  Reviewer

CARRY ON

AND FANGIRL

ALL OVER THIS BOOK.

Oh my freaking god. How crazy is it that I now feel like starting a new blog and loosing myself in my own written virtual universe? Ha, I definitely don’t have time for that, but Cather is one inspiring girl.

The word ‘‘fanfiction’’ is not one I am unfamiliar with. I know what it means, how it works and what kind of effect it has on people. I’ve just never been a ‘‘fan’’ of it myself. I like original pieces of work, and if I don’t in fact like a story, I d
Lauren
Jan 05, 2014 Lauren rated it did not like it
You know, it’s been so long since I’ve disliked a book to the point of wanting to rant about it that I was starting to think I’d lost my cynical edge.

So I guess that’s one point in Fangirl’s favor.

And, you know, I liked Fangirl at first. It seemed that it was going to do something new with a protagonist that wasn’t the typical quirky teen girl.

Here’s where I stop and give my short review before delving into a much-needed rant: The protagonist, Cath, is a wholly passive character who gets exactly
Samantha
Aug 24, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
4.5 stars! As someone with anxiety who also has immersed herself in fandom since high school, this was almost the perfect contemporary for me. I still struggled with whether to give this 4 or 5 stars. Who knows... After a day I may come back to give it 5.. I did read it in one day after all.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Yes, I'd like me one Levi Stewart please, thank you.

description
(Art by this very talented human.)
___________________________________

Book Song: Afraid by The Neighbourhood.
___________________________________
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book <3 Full review/booktalk: http://youtu.be/x6DmZnc6Nd8
karen
Nov 22, 2013 karen rated it really liked it
ah, fanfiction. it is such a curious phenomenon to me. i find its very existence delightful and wondrous, but i know it is not for me, not really.

i've never loved any book or any character enough to read fanfic about. there are books i wish had sequels, sure, but i have never wanted to seek out work by people other than the original author about specific characters or worlds. also, since the relationshippy parts of books are usually my least favorite, and 90 percent of fanfic is slash and relat
Regan
Oct 31, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing
I want more.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
First read November 2013
Reread October 2015

I definitely changed my opinions on this book after reading it a second time, so here's a little updated review!

Back in 2013, I read and reviewed 'Fangirl', and since then I've read it again only to find my thoughts and opinions have changed.
When I first read the book, I remember being so frustrated with Cath for throwing away her University degree by not doing her assignments because she didn't feel like it. But it wasn't because she didn't feel like i
Susanne
Sep 15, 2013 Susanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: genre-na-ya
description

Fangirl had quality. It was well-written, well-told and well-crafted. I had super high hopes! I know some of my friends said that this was the best book this year. But for me, it dragged and it was B.O.R.I.N.G. I was close to not finish it. I am glad I stuck it out but it felt like a chore. I was like – did I get another book than all the other reviewers?

It is a story about Cather who writes fanfiction and prefer her Internet friends. She is abandoned by her more outgoing identical twin when th
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 Kai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned, 2015, glbt
“I'm the kind of girl who fantasizes about being trapped in a library overnight.”

Fangirl is one of my all time favourites. It's one of those "cuddle up with a blanket"-"sip hot chocolate"-"feel good"-books. There's not many books that can do this to me. I think this works so good for me, because Rainbow Rowell really captured that kind of sadness and loneliness, which also functions as an emotional wall between the protagonist and the outer world, with such skillfulness, that I immediately recog
Debra

♥ 4.5 STARS. ♥

Fangirl was such a refreshing and wonderful story! It's both a coming of age story about a girl starting a new life in college, as well as a friend to lovers story. From the moment I started reading it, Rainbow Rowell managed to suck me into the world of Cath, Levi, Simon Snow and all the other equally unique side characters. The author's easyflowing writing style made it seem as a very simple story at the time I was reading it, but looking back at it as a whole the story managed t
Maureen
Mar 02, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This was a 4.5 for me. I really really liked it but didn't necessarily love it. It was such a relatable and real story to anyone who has ever been a part of a fandom and there were so many late 2000s pop culture references that I loved! AND LEVI. Levi was so wonderful. Overall, really did like it :)

Reread June 17-18, 2015 for #fivefaves & #rainbowthon
WELL WOW. I can safely say this is one of my favorites now, and definitely 5 stars. I think I read this too close to E&P last time to fully
Simona Bartolotta
3.5

"Real life was something happening in her peripheral vision."

•One word to describe Fangirl? Easy: cute. Everything, in this book, is cute: plot, characters, writing, even the pace. The problem with cute is that it's okay, more than okay, only, it doesn't stick. You feel all warm and squishy while you're reading, and it's good, and you may feel a bit like that when you think about some moments of the story afterwards, and that's good too, but, beyond that? Little else.
Let me try to explain yo
Empress of Books
This book has long sat unread and neglected in my room. But now, after the enthusiastic screeches of my trusted GR buddies sounding in my ear, I shall finally read my first contemporary novel.

WISH ME LUCK!

****************************************

I stayed up till 12:07 (midnight) finishing this book. Technically, it's now Thursday. Technically, it's a new day. Technically, I read through the night.

Empress of Books: the physical incarnation of sleep is for the weak since the 21st (nope. It's actual
Camilla
4.25 stars! // Almost as good as every other book by Rainbow Rowell. Her writing just makes me feel something very special, and she's definitely one of my all time favorite authors!

"Fangirl" is not perfect (I did not enjoy the chapters from the Simon Snow books that much, or Cath's fanfiction, but luckily it wasn't that much of it that it really bothered me), and it's not my favorite by Rowell - but it's still very, very good. Her characters always feels so incredibly real, like they're actuall
Beth
4.5. This was so so sooooooo close to 5 stars!

Are you rooting for me? - Levi

So, a certain someone *cough*
Romie
someone had spoke to me about this book, and I was like yes yes yes, I need to read this! I'm honestly so glad you recommended this!

I didn't really go into this book with any expectations I wanted something that was going to be an easy and a quick read. Once I picked it up, I didn't want to put it down! It was one of those books.

A strong feature in this book was to do with mental diso
So Many Books So ...: Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell 7 34 Mar 17, 2017 07:29PM
Bookworm Bitches : July 2015: Fangirl 31 202 Mar 12, 2017 10:34AM
Play Book Tag: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell- 3 Stars 2 10 Feb 22, 2017 04:20PM
Are you going to read Carry On? 45 615 Feb 20, 2017 03:04PM
  • The Summer I Became a Nerd (Nerd, #1)
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
  • Roomies
  • Wild Awake
  • Golden
  • The Book of Broken Hearts
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
  • All the Truth That's in Me
  • Life in Outer Space
  • Lovely, Dark and Deep
  • Smart Girls Get What They Want
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • The Impossible Knife of Memory
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Winger (Winger, #1)
  • My Most Excellent Year
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
4208569
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
More about Rainbow Rowell...

32 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I don’t trust anybody. Not anybody. And the more that I care about someone, the more sure I am they’re going to get tired of me and take off.” 2375 likes
“In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't Google.)” 2036 likes