Start by marking “Fangirl” as Want to Read:
Fangirl

Read Excerpt

Fangirl

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  506,545 ratings  ·  47,519 reviews
A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan..

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading.
Published September 10th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Fangirl, please sign up.
Joanna social anxiety
+ Bipolar father
+ no boyfriend and never been kissed by College age
+ disgust of drunkards, especially those who do it…more
social anxiety
+ Bipolar father
+ no boyfriend and never been kissed by College age
+ disgust of drunkards, especially those who do it just because everyone else does

Me = Cath(less)

·  506,545 ratings  ·  47,519 reviews

Start your review of Fangirl
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5
Levi said. “It’s hard for me to get my head around. It’s like hearing that Harry Potter is gay."
Ok, why the fuck are you referencing Harry Potter after having based the entire book around a fictionalized version of Harry Potter known as Simon Snow? Why?!

If you wanted a true sense of fandom, don't look for it here. Don't get me wrong, I liked this book, but it is a coming-of-age book that was misrepresented as a book about fandom. This would have been so much better if it had been merely sold as aWhy?!
If2.5
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-38.png

It’s like Rainbow Rowell writes in peanut butter and stolen moments and lazy eyelash wishes.

That’s the best and only way I can describe it.

It’s 433 pages of a guaranteed good day.

I’m so jealous of you guys right now, it’s crazy!

Because I can’t read this book for the first time again.

So when you finish it, and you’re just sitting there all thoughtful and wordless (grinning like an 8th grader with prom tickets)… You’re not alone. ;)

photo download3-15.png

This book’s about the good ol’ college experience.

*ahem*… The Realistic Kind.

photo download-38.png

That’s the best and only way I can describe it.

It’s 433 pages of a guaranteed good day.

I’m so jealous of you guys right now, it’s crazy!

Because I can’t read this book for the first time again.

photo download3-15.png

This book’s about the good ol’ college experience.

*ahem*… The Realistic Kind.

photo 32748961397c1105f52cc603de144b9c-1.jpg

But more importantly, it’s about Cath Avery’s college experience and all the life lessons in between.

Cath is such a phenomenal character. Because she’s both tough and endearing. Plus, she has this super quick and snarky wit that’s freaking hilarious in every way possible! And she’s kind of this cool eccentric, totally awkward girl. I mean, she writes fan fiction and she’s famous (but anonymous) for it, people make her nervous (which is where that snarky wit of hers comes in), and she has a twin sister who’s also her best friend and is Cath’s total opposite.

But I think my favorite thing about Cath is that she’s so damn relatable! She worries about the same things you and I do (like, “Good god… what happens when and if I’m late to class? Should I knock? Just walk right in and give the professor my coffee and pretend that’s why I was late in the first place? Should I bearcrawl my way to my seat and hope no one notices?). Just random, stupid things like that but that totally make a difference when you’re in the moment, know what I mean?

And she’s always been so codependent on her fanfiction stories and on her very independent twin sister… that she gets to college and finds out that she can’t be that way anymore. She has to learn to speak up for herself, and to be that awkward girl, and to be totally okay with it!

So in a way, this book’s about first experiences (the good and the bad) and seeing it through the eyes of an awesome/awkward/totally kickass girl who’s both the girl she was and the girl she’s going to be.

photo download2-24.png

You’re also going to meet these completely hilarious and awesome characters… who aren’t just characters, they’re people full of character.

*Like Reagan, Cath’s dorm roomie.

She did everything so forcefully. She swung their door open; she slammed it shut. She was bigger than Cath, a little taller and lot more buxom (seriously, buxom). She just seemed bigger. On the inside, too.

*Wren, her sister.

Wren had always been the Social One. The Friendly One. The one who got invited to quinceaneras and birthday parties. But before—in junior high and high school—everyone knew that if you invited Wren, you got Cath. They were a package deal, even at dances. There were three years’ worth of photos, taken at every homecoming, of Cath and Wren standing with their dates under an archway of balloons or in front of a glittery curtain.

They were a package deal, period. Since always.

*Cath’s single-parent dad.

“Dad?”

“Hey, Cath.”

“Dad. Why haven’t you called me? I left you a million messages.”

“You left me too many messages. You shouldn’t be calling me or even thinking about me. You’re in college now. Move on.”

“It’s just school, Dad. It’s not like we have irreconcilable differences.”

“Honey, I’ve watched a lot of 90210. The parents weren’t even on the show once Brandon and Brenda went to college. This is your time—you’re supposed to be going to frat parties and getting back together with Dylan.”

“Why does everyone want me to go to frat parties?”

“Who wants you to go to frat parties? I was just kidding. Don’t hang out with frat guys, Cath, they’re terrible. All they do is get drunk and watch 90210.”

*And there’s ♥Levi♥.

Levi’s definitely my runner-up for favorite character.

He’s not the hottest guy on campus and he’s not all broody and oozing sex appeal. He’s the guy you want to come home to when there are puddles rivering through the sidewalks, and he’s the cute guy you want to call when you’ve just had the best two minutes of your life and you want to tell someone, and he’s the cute and amazing guy you want to walk you home late at night and who’s going to open your doors for you and make you laugh when your lower lip’s trembling from trying to hold a bad day in.

Levi’s just that guy who every girl is going to meet, has already met, and wants to meet. Does that make sense? He’s realistic, because he’s completely imperfect and is perfect in the ways that matter.

Especially for Cath. They go from being acquaintances, to friends, and turn into something inseparable.

photo download1-24.png

And these two banter the entire way through that’s going to make you laugh and keep you laughing.

(talking about Wren, her twin sister, and Wren's boyfriend) "Maybe we should go on lots of double dates," Cath said, "and then we can get married on the same day in a double ceremony, in matching dresses, and the four of us will light the unity candle all at the same time."

"Pfft," Levi said, "I'm picking out my own dress."

The way these two characters intertwine with each other and evolve towards each other in the book is where the story really is. Because they go from bantering friends to two people who become solid in each other’s lives. Their relationship is sweet, funny, comfortable, and comforting. All in one. And there’s just this overall warmth about them when they’re together on the page.

photo download3-16.png

So we’re barely in September… and I’m already thinking about going ahead and giving this book the Best Book of the Year award. And I think I’m going to. Because books like this don’t come around too often and I’d be lucky to read a book like this in the next five years.

Fucking amazing.

photo download-39.jpg

Steph Sinclair
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like character-driven novels
Recommended to Steph by: Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
It's time for Rainbow Rowell and I to break up.

I didn't want to admit it, but after reading all of her books now, I can safely say her writing style just isn't for me. It's like that time I cheerfully broke up with Cassandra Clare, though, admittedly, over different reasons. But this time it hurts. It wounds me to realize that I can't join in with all my friends, ride the Rainbow iz Queen bandwagon, roll around in a meadow of flowers that magically whispers witty Rainbow Rowell quotes and feast at the Fangirl banquet. I knthe Rainbow
Emily May
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
“Real life was something happening in her peripheral vision.”

I enjoyed Fangirl. Though the way I feel about it is almost exactly how I feel about Eleanor & Park. They are both cute books with complex, well-developed characters, and yet I feel like something is missing that just holds both books back from being truly memorable.

Rowell writes quirky, detailed characters that are different and honest. I liked the antisocial, awkward and weird Cath. I thought her story - both as a popular fanfic writer and as a new co/>Rowell
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
IDK WHAT TO SAY OTHER THAN I LOVED IT. IT WAS SO GOOD. GO READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T.
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*6 Stars!*

I loved this story to infinity and beyond...

My favorite types of books are the ones that speak to you; directly to the reader. The ones that resonate so deeply within your psyche that you feel as though you're actually learning things about yourself in the process.

That is exactly what I experienced while reading Fangirl. If you were to judge by the cover and blurb alone, you may think this story is nothing but a quirky, fun read about an interesting girl addicted to writing fanfic. But I persuade you to take a peek inside, because
Maria
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.2/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.”

― Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl

I honestly adored this book. I adored the complex characters, the fandom aspect, the writing, the setting, the romance. This book was a true delight. I got a bit confused, at first, with the narration of this book being in third person, while most books of this genre are written in first person, but fan fics are always written in third person. I hope Rainbow did this
Zoë
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reread October 2015: AHHHHH I felt all the love for this book that I felt the first time plus more! I love everything about this book and I want to reread it again immediately ;D

Original review from December 2013: Fangirl was so cute and relatable! I loved every single character and their relationships with each other. Rainbow Rowell's writing style is wonderful and I can't wait to read more books from her!
Cecile
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
***WARNING***

This review is long (even for me) and if you liked the book, you probably shouldn’t bother with it. (And yes, before you ask, the titles do refer to fangirling lore)

1. My Body is Ready

I was quite excited to read Fangirl, at first. Trusted GR friends have loved this book, and I thought it would actually be -a bit- about the fangirling life (which I have been living fully for a year and a half, so I was like “Oooh, my ELEMENT, yay!”)

Dear Got in Himmel, was I wrong.

Anyway. Let the Games Reviewing begin.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2. OMG You did NOT just GO THERE

You see
Christy
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 AMAZING & SPECTACULAR STARS!!!

photo 380f9e23-abec-4179-b04a-191734cbef33_zps82b55f3c.jpg

I just LOVED this book! It made me so happy! Everything about it- just fantastic!

Cath is a twin. She is a writer. She is a Simon Snow fan. Quite possibly the biggest Simon Snow fan there is. Cather’s big thing is fanfiction. She takes her most favorite books, and writes her own stories. She makes the two main guys in the books gay and in love.
"It's bad enough that you have homemade Simon Snow posters," Reagan had said last night while she was getting rea
Nat
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reread
“You don’t do magic,” she said, trying to smile modestly and mostly succeeding. “You are magic.”

My annual reread of Fangirl has been completed (2 years and going), and it just gets better and better.
Sometimes, on a gray day, I flip through this book to cheer myself up or to remind myself that everything will be okay. And it does its job every single time, which I’m more than grateful for. It’s like a consolation, an old friend, a favorite old, comfy sweater. Fangirl is everything.
And because of its importance to me, it’s my most reread novel and I love
Lauren
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And just like that, I'm finished.
Now what?
Dammit Rainbow, I'm going to be lost for the next week now, with no fictional boyfriend to curl up with at night.

I'm sure in your internet travels, you've all seen the comic that says "That moment when you finish a book, look around, and realise that everyone is just carrying on with their lives as though you didn't just experience emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback."

That is me. Right now. At 1am.
Lonely
Ariel
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
WELL. FANGIRL. IT’S KIND OF A BIG DEAL RIGHT NOW. I read it, so let’s talk about it!

Things I liked:
- The examination of fanfiction as a type of literature
- The importance of family through sibling and parent relationships
- The importance of moving on and letting go (although I felt this plot point was drobbed and underdeveloped.. but the idea was there!)
- Adorable adorable romance
- Showing the reality of social awkwardness
- The alternate Harry Pott
Komal Mikaelson
Edit: Downgrading the rating to 4. When I look back now, there are some minor issues, which I initially overlooked. So, yeah, maybe a 4.5 read but definitely not a 5.

Initial Reaction After Completion

You know how we all cry at tragedies. We cry with Rose in Titanic, with Liesel in The Book Thief, with Harry in Shell Cottage, with Maya in Forbidden. We are a sentimental specie and we cry a damn lot.
But how many of us cry at an especially beautiful ending. When wounds heal, when all loose ends are tied, when broken5.
Ashley Nuckles
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Screaming internally because I want my own Levi now, please and thank you.
jessica
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awww. you guys. i really liked this.

ive never read/written fanfiction but, wow, i relate with cath so much - i think anyone who has a major passion in their life can. i love how this story explores the idea of maintaing who you are when placed in a new environment. college is a time in many peoples lives where they go through changes, but i love how this story shows that its also okay to stay the same and not give up things that make you happy.

so if you are ever having a bad day, this is the book i
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned, queer, 2015
“I'm the kind of girl who fantasizes about being trapped in a library overnight.”

Fangirl is one of my all time favourites. It's one of those "cuddle up with a blanket"-"sip hot chocolate"-"feel good"-books. There's not many books that can do this to me. I think this works so good for because Rainbow Rowell captured the kind of sadness and loneliness that also functions as an emotional wall between the protagonist and the outer world with such skillfulness that I immediately recognised this feeling. There's/>
Lauren
Jan 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
You know, it’s been so long since I’ve disliked a book to the point of wanting to rant about it that I was starting to think I’d lost my cynical edge.

So I guess that’s one point in Fangirl’s favor.

And, you know, I liked Fangirl at first. It seemed that it was going to do something new with a protagonist that wasn’t the typical quirky teen girl.

Here’s where I stop and give my short review before delving into a much-needed rant: The protagonist, Cath, is a wholly passi
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“Accidental buddy read” with the amazing Maks! ;-)

When I began to read “Fangirl” I was looking for something fluffy and nice and after finishing the book I can say that I actually got everything I expected! *lol*

This book was indeed very fluffy and nice and it made me smile and caused me to chuckle and it was sometimes silly and strange but also serious and sad! XD So yeah I got the whole range of human emotions and I definitely didn’t regret to read this book! =))
(I’m truly sorry tha
emma
I read this. Again.

------------------

I'm reading this. Again.

------------------

Exactly one star less worthy-of-fangirling than I remember it being. Still fun. Not life-changing. But we’ll get there. (I think that’s like, my new catchphrase. I’ve said that so many times in my recent reviews. I had always hoped when I got a catchphrase, it’d be something cooler. I don’t have an example of a cooler one - if I did, don’t you think I’d be using it?!)

Let’s talk about what’s chang
Nat
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
description
Why I Fangirl over Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl (Spoilers: Levi)

If you've been following my reviews for a while now, you probably know by now that Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl is an all-time favorite of mine; I make sure to reread it every single year.

This time around, I decided to revisit the book through a different medium by checking out the audiobook for the first time, as I mention in the Parks and Rec book tag (where I feature Reagan for Ron Swanson's question, yet somehow still wound up including my perfect sunflower an
Lola
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

CARRY ON

AND FANGIRL

ALL OVER THIS BOOK.

Oh my freaking god. How crazy is it that I now feel like starting a new blog and loosing myself in my own written virtual universe? Ha, I definitely don’t have time for that, but Cather is one inspiring girl.

The word ‘‘fanfiction’’ is not one I am unfamiliar with. I know what it means, how it works and what kind of effect it has on people. I’ve just never been a ‘‘fan’’ of it myself. I like original pieces of work, and if I don’t in fact like a story,
Hannah
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was everything I wanted and more. I absolutely loved it <3
Samantha
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! As someone with anxiety who also has immersed herself in fandom since high school, this was almost the perfect contemporary for me. I still struggled with whether to give this 4 or 5 stars. Who knows... After a day I may come back to give it 5.. I did read it in one day after all.
Christine Riccio
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book <3 Full review/booktalk: http://youtu.be/x6DmZnc6Nd8
The Burning Rose (Jess)
4/5 stars. Review to come!
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Yes, I'd like me one Levi Stewart please, thank you.

description
(Art by this very talented human.)
___________________________________

Book Song: Afraid by The Neighbourhood.
___________________________________
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm an introvert. A lot of people don't think I am because I'm very involved in a lot of things - I'm in a lot of clubs, I host a book club (IRL and online), and I like to plan parties for people. But I am an introvert, because too much socializing exhausts me, and I need a few days to kick back and just curl up with a book to recover. It's not that I'm antisocial, it's just how I am. I love being with people, but I can't do it all the time. In middle and high school, I also had social anxiety, to the pPinterest
I'm
karen
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
ah, fanfiction. it is such a curious phenomenon to me. i find its very existence delightful and wondrous, but i know it is not for me, not really.

i've never loved any book or any character enough to read fanfic about. there are books i wish had sequels, sure, but i have never wanted to seek out work by people other than the original author about specific characters or worlds. also, since the relationshippy parts of books are usually my least favorite, and 90 percent of fanfic is slash and relat
C.G. Drews
This book is the best of ever. I'M JUST SAYIN'. It is. If you're a writer or an introvert, I can almost (practically) guarantee at some point this book is going to hit you in a very relatable way. I was so emotionally invested in this book. Gosh. Look at me. I'm a fangirling (ha, pun) mess. I can't even write a logical review! I seriously just love this book so much.

I really connected to the characters! Can we just talk about Cath for a moment? She has a social anxiety disorder and (knowing

• The Fault in Our Stars
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Paper Towns
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Looking for Alaska
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Everything, Everything
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • An Abundance of Katherines
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • We Were Liars
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about
33 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I don’t trust anybody. Not anybody. And the more that I care about someone, the more sure I am they’re going to get tired of me and take off.” 2740 likes
“In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't Google.)” 2241 likes