Start by marking “Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)

Lola and the Boy Next Door

(Anna and the French Kiss #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  141,227 ratings  ·  14,163 reviews
Alternate Cove edition for ISBN 9780525423287

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin si
Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Lola and the Boy Next Door, please sign up.
Aleeza Athar I had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works…moreI had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works with Anna. Anna and Etienne appear a lot in the novel as Lola's friends. Also, if you want to know what happened to them after Anna and the French Kiss, you should definitely read this. Hope i helped. (less)

·  141,227 ratings  ·  14,163 reviews

Start your review of Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)
Sophia.
Oh, gosh. I really cannot understand all the good reviews for this book (even if half of them were given BEFORE the book actually came out, which, if you ask me, is completely stupid). To say it's overrated is an understatement.

This book is such a huge disappointment. I guess this is a typical example of what happens when you fantasize so much about something that you've actually built up this ideal in your mind... which has nothing to do with reality, sadly. Careful people, spoilers ahead.

I'd like to b
tonya.
Here's the thing. I think Stephanie Perkins is in my head. Or at least my daydreams. How else could she consistently write characters that seem to be tailor-made to hit my flutter buttons? Etienne for my anglophilia, Max for my tattooed, Buddy Holly glasses wearing (view spoiler) rocker boy, and Cricket. Cricket for everything I've ever wanted in a real boy.

Because that's th
Flannery
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Read Anna & The French Kiss
Did you read Anna and the French Kiss?:
A.YES, I loved it!
B.YES, it was okay.
C.YES, and I didn’t like it.
D.NO, but I intend to.
E.NO, it’s not for me.

If you picked A, B, or D, please proceed to review #1.
If you picked C or E, please proceed to review #2.
__________________________________________________
Review #1:
LOVE! This book is fun, fun, fun (til her daddy takes the T-bird away). It has a very similar feeling to its companion novel Anna and the French Kiss—a teen/>Review
Lyndsey
Set to "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow.

Her name is Lo-la. She's a steal-the-show girl.
With purple stripeys in her hair, wearing leggings worthy of Cher.
She's friends with Etienne, and of course, with An-na.
The boy next door draws on his hand, and Lola yearns to understand.
Across their midnight lawn, they talked from dusk til dawn.
They were young and needed each other.
But did the boy next door want more?

At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Casa.
The hottest
Ari
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ari by: JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
Shelves: next-door

I'm definitely going to burn in hell..
Oh, that awkward moment when everybody loves a book and you don't understand why... You know that feeling, right? Well, yeah, I'm pretty much living it.

It's not that I DIDN'T LIKE the book, it's just that I didn't LIKE it.. Does it make any sense to you, because for me there is a whole damn big difference.

Anyways, this is not Anna's book-sister, this is more like the evil stepsister.. It  actually managed to  raise my blood pressure, unfortunately not in a "too hot to handle" kind of way.

I've generously g
Emily May
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

Yay for warm fuzzies. Stephanie Perkins has a talent and that talent is for making me happy, allowing me to enjoy the entire reading experience, laugh at times and come away with no deep sense of revelation - just the knowledge that I will have to get my hands on whatever she writes next. Her writing may be light and mostly meaningless but it achieves one of the greatest things a book possibly can: fun.

And that's just it... this book is silly, mindless fun. I'm not sure why some people who enjoyed Anna and the Fren
Christine Riccio
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
adorable and wonderful! didn't want to put it down =)
Tatiana
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I am going to justify this rating. Books like Lola and the Boy Next Door rarely work for me. I dislike chick-lit, I dislike two-timing/emotionally cheating/lying heroines, I dislike when the "wrong" guy in books with love triangles is vilified at the last minute to make it right for the heroine to break up with him. And yet I liked this book that contains all these elements.

This novel is just such a light, breezy, charming read. The main character, who would normally annoy the hell
Limonessa
The thing about Lola and the boy next door is that, since it's a companion book, it's inevitable to make a comparison with Anna and the French Kiss which, in this case, comes out as a disadvantage because, as far as I am concerned, Anna is the absolute winner.

Lola is a really cute story: she is a quirky, raised by gay parents, unique teenage girl.
When her first crush and ex-neighbor, Cricket, reappears on her doorstep after two years, things get complicated because Lola already has a boyfrie/>
Aj the Ravenous Reader

One thing I have to appreciate about this story is its glaring reminder that is to NEVER EVER ENTER A SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP WHEN YOU’RE UNSURE OF YOURSELF and I know age isn’t always an indication of a person’s maturity but in this case and it’s most often, sixteen year olds are yet on their way to discovering who they are and like what I’ve already mentioned, when you’re 16, be 16. I don’t have to explain that further.^^

Truthfully speaking, I didn’t like the significant first half of the s
Arlene
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna and the French Kiss
Recommended to Arlene by: Etienne. I'm sticking to it... =)
First off, a huge thanks to Rebecca for giving me this ARC. Thank you!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ABSOLUTELY CRUSH-WORTHY♥ ♥ ♥

HOLY CRICKET!! I am absolutely in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door! I’m not denying it, I have a HUGE crush on this book and it’s not going away. Stephanie Perkins, without a doubt did it again. She’s managed to tap into my inner giddy making me a shameless book hugger. For fans of Anna and the French Kiss eagerly anticipating Lola and the Boy Next Door breathe with ease. This book is fricken fabulous and ju
Jiana
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. NO. NO. JUST NO. This book is a mess. If you loved this book, then you might not want to read this review. Because I'm so annoyed right now. And my review will probably sound harsh to you. But I gotta let out all my anger.

Let me just start by saying that I loved Anna and the French Kiss. It was beyond enjoyable and adorable. But this? Oh my God. Lola and the Boy Next Door is a big fat NO. I'm beyond disappointed.

Cricket is a cutie. I liked Cricket. But, unfortunately, he was not enough to save this mess of
Jessica
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in May of 2013, and fell in love with Lola and Cricket's story. For some reason, I never wrote out a proper review for it though (although I do have reviews for Anna and the French Kiss and Isla and the Happily Ever After)

I just finished my first reread of the book, and it was the audiobook version. It was so good! I was so happy to be back with Lola and Cricket again! I love that this story is set in San Fransisco, and I just love all of the characters!

Lola r
Alyssa
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die-hard fans of Anna and the French Kiss.
You know how all you Harry Potter fans were, like, living for the release of the seventh book, and then how some were disappointed in it? Lola was my disappointing Deathly Hallows.

You see, Anna and I, we hit it off. She smacked me in the face when I needed a slap, she caressed my stupid romantic heart, and she left me laughing out loud and wanting more. Anna, well, she’s kind of the reminder in a genre full of heavy stuff that it’s okay to watch romantic comedies on Valentine’s Day with a box of chocolate and sta
lena
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
cricket is the sweetest, but just wondering who the hell names their kid cricket?
Priscilla
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
D'AAWWWW, well isn't that just lovely.

Initial reactions:
1. GAH, the cuteness OVERWHELMS ME! *faints*
2. Okay. Serious business guys. Love the story. There are more things going on than just the boy next door. Family, figuring out who you really are, and growing up.
3. Writing is amazing of course. Perkins is able to write her main characters with such a voice. They are complete characters. I love how Lola has interests, and there are issues surrounding her life other
Anzu The Great Destroyer
** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How the hell am I supposed to review this without seeming sick or desperate?? I have no idea! …. But I’m going to try!

This was AMAZING! I was expecting it to be great, but there was still a part of me cringing at the idea that I might be too demanding and find out that it’s not so good. Well, it surpassed my expectations.

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

I literally couldn’t put the book down. It got stuck to my hands. It became my hands. I was Edward Scissorhands but with Lola and the Boy Next Door books instead of hands. Legendary!

Plus having a stupid smile on while reading this… You must avoid reading it in public. People tend to think you’re weird if you smile like that all the time…

I loved Lola; she’s unique, spunky, smart and fun. Love her outfits, love her wigs, love her room, love her glitter and love her neighbor! Muahahahaha!

Speaking of the neighbor… Cricket is the cutest thing EVAR. Well, not the cutest. You know who you are *winks* But he made my day. And made me cry with his sweetness…. Dammit!!!

I love St. Clair and Anna, they are the sweetest couple. Everything in this book is damn sweet, I feel like hugging it and feeding it pie and *snuggle snuggle snuggle snuggle*

Mmmmmmmmmmmm *snuggle snuggle snuggle snuggle* with the guys…

Oh, God, why did it end??? I want more!!!! *punches a kid that’s passing by in the face*

My rating? A hundred stars! Which reminds me of Cricket’s gift for Lola, which I’m going to steal ASAP!!!

*clears throat*

God, this review makes me look deranged…

Meh!

Stephanie, you tease, you did it again! I love you so much!!! *hugs*

I love everyone!!!! *runs out on the street like a lunatic*
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 8/20/15: wow. Cricket. WOW. What a charmer. I always underestimate this book. I CAN'T STOP GRINNING.

Reread 8/16/14: oh gosh. Oooohhhh gosh. I forgot how much I loved Cricket Bell. Swooning for the rest of my life
Amy | Foxy Blogs
FOUR POINT FIVE STARS

Two years ago I remember reading the first book in this series and enjoying it. So, when I was looking through the library's audios and saw this one I thought, 'why not.'

First off, I liked this one more than the first book. I know it's been two years since I read book one but this one was more fun to read.

What got my attention right away was LOLA. What an interesting character. She's a senior in high school who has a boyfriend who happens to be five years older than her. Right there, I connected with hone
Kimi

That's it I'm done.
DNFing this one. I honestly can't bear to read one more page.

Can someone please explain the hype to me? Usually when I dislike a popular book I can tell why everyone else loved but with this one I have absolutely no clue.

➨ I didn't like any of the characters. Especially not Lola and Cricket (out of all names she had to call him cricket) I know Lola is supposed to be different and awesome but wearing wigs every single day is just weird to me.

➨Lola is practically cheating on her b
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
"And I hold my head high toward my big entrance, hand in hand with the boy who gave me the moon and the stars."

This is one of the sweetest books I've read.
Lola & The Boy Next Door is a story about finding yourself in yourself, moving on, forgiviness, love and self-acceptance.
In the beggining I had a bit of a hard time. Getting Lola is quite a trip even though I liked her and I can say I'm glad I read this book. Phisycally I'm more like Anna but my personality is like
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. What a perfect little book! I wasn't expecting to love it so much. I enjoyed 'Anna and the French Kiss' but this one was on a whole other level. So good! I've been in the mood for fluffy contemporaries and this was perfect. I'll definitely read it again in the future when I need a smile.
Nina
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017

I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to finally read “Lola and the Boy next Door”. I mean, I read “Anna and the French Kiss” five years ago and never even thought about continuing this series even though I loved the first book.

But now I finally read it and I’m so glad about that because LATBND was great. I almost loved it as much as I loved AATFK.

Just like the first book i
Ash
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcopy-needed
first read: September 21 - 22, 2015
first reread: March 8 - 12 , 2016

MARCH 2016: I loved it just as much the 2nd time around!!!

------
SEPTEMBER 2015: Totally loving these books! I think overall, I liked Anna's story better....but I definitely found more things that I could relate to in this book.

“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”

I really ended up liking Cricket, he is just...so awkward, and sweet/>/>SEPTEMBER/>MARCH
Whitney Atkinson

This book is exactly how I expected it to be. Light, meh main character, and predictable. The main thing I love about this is Stephanie Perkins is just a great writer. She writes contemporary romances so well and I really find it enjoyable to read. I knew going into this that the main thing I wouldn't get along with is Lola. I've heard things about Lola, and kinda had a preconceived notion of her, and my prediction that I wouldn't like her was correct. She just seemed.... in
Ariel
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in under 24 hours just like I did with Anna. IT WAS SO AMAZING . I WILL REVIEW SOON.

The worst part about this book is that I'm done reading it.
Seriously.

Lucy
Lola and the Boy Next Door was a clumsy fumble for Stephanie Perkins. It had the potential to be something much better, but got bogged down with Anna's history and Isla's future. I often wondered how much of Lola was planned while Anna and the French Kiss was being written and how much of Lola's story was simply dictated by the circumstances the first story had and the third story would require. Even Perkins' charming writing couldn't really save the book after tying it to so many heavy bricks and tossi ...more
Jenna Major
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read!
A bowl full of fun!

Stephanie Perkins has not disappointed me yet! Lola and The Boy Next door is about 17 year old Lola (or Dolores, if she's in trouble). She has an older boyfriend, strict parents and a great best friend. Her boyfriend Max is 22, in a band and totally cool. Her dads are strict, but caring and other than their strict dating rules, Lola doesn't mind. Lindsay is her best friend and can sense when something is up or guessclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Stephanie

Stephanie Perkins has not disappointed me yet! Lola and The Boy Next door is about 17 year old Lola (or Dolores, if she's in trouble). She has an older boyfriend, strict parents and a great best friend. Her boyfriend Max is 22, in a band and totally cool. Her dads are strict, but caring and other than their strict dating rules, Lola doesn't mind. Lindsay is her best friend and can sense when something is up or guess how Lola is feeling almost immediately. Lola thinks she's happy with her life until her neighbours move back in. Her neighbours left 2 years prior and they did not leave on good terms. Their return brings anxiety, curiosity, trouble and lot's of confusing feelings for Lola. I consider this book a contemporary but also a romance since the main plot line is about Lola's relationships.

The writing in this book makes for a quirky, fun-loving read. It shouldn't take you long to read and you'll get right into the story. I love Stephanie Perkins writing style and can't wait to read even more of her books!

One of my favourite parts about this series is the quirky but relatable traits/thought processes of the characters! For example; this is an excerpt from Lola and The Boy Next Door that I found particularly funny:
"I wonder if he's looking at my butt. WHY DID I JUST THINK THAT? Now my butt feels COLOSSAL. Maybe he's looking at my legs. Is that better? Or worse? Do I want him looking at me? I hold on to the bottom of my dress as I climb into the backseat and crawl to the other side. I'm sure he's looking at my butt. He has to be. It's huge, and it's right there, and it's huge. No. I'm acting crazy."
It's parts like this that get me laughing and feel connected to the character. Even if you can't relate, it's nice to be able to see their thought processes and you get the chance to understand the character.

I gave this book 4/5 stars because I genuinally enjoyed it and would recommend. It didn't get 5 stars due to a certain plot line (view spoiler) and how it dragged on for most of the book. They could have been wrapped up faster but to drag it on that long made me extremely frustrated with Lola's decisions. Another reason I only gave it 4/5 stars is because certain plot lines were never finished. I didn't get closure with them or find out what happens! (view spoiler)

Overall I really liked this book and would recommend it if anyone needs a fun book to read! It's really refreshing to read after a depressing book or high fantasy book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick, expressive and smooth writing means another one of Stephanie Perkins books! This book isn't 5 stars for me due to the plot mostly. It was extremely predictable, but not only that, the MC was in a relationship with someone while she lead on and pursued another guy. I wasn't a huge fan of that, especially for how long it dragged out for. Anyways I will publish a full review this evening!! This is just a quick summary of what I thought!

Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

3.5 out of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). GAH THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE!!! I just wish that the cliche line "I release a breath I didn't know I was holding" UGHHHHHHH. Cricket <3

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting throu/>/>/>My
Cila
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some books you read for their intellectual properties, some out of mere curiosity, and some because they make you happy, ... this is definitely one of those books. It's lighthearted and fun to read; it's not thought-provoking or something that will make you reevaluate life choices, but there's such a comfort in knowing that in the end it'll make you smile, and sometimes a happy-ending is exactly what the doctor recommended.

• Shut Out
  • Prom & Prejudice
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Fangirl
  • Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2)
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • My Life Next Door
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3)
  • The Fill-In Boyfriend
  • Eleanor & Park
  • The Distance Between Us
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My next YA release is a horror novel called There's Someone Inside Your House, which will be released Fall 2017.

I don't read

Anna and the French Kiss (3 books)
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.” 1904 likes
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”
1285 likes