Start by marking “Under Gemini” as Want to Read:
Under Gemini

Under Gemini

Every family hides something, but Flora Waring discovered a devastating deception in hers. At twenty-two she learned she had an identical twin, Rose, who lived with the mother Flora didn't remember at all. And when Flora ended up impersonating the high-spirited, spoiled Rose, she would have to face how cruel lies can be. When she agreed to accompany Rose's fiance to meet h ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Under Gemini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Gemini

Deena
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is my favorite of hers. The thing she does best is paint word pictures. She has a gift for descriptive language. You can 'see' the places she talks about. I love her English settings as well.
Rebekah
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be her best "little" book. All of the Pilcher ingredients. With the added intrigue of an evil twin good twin did not even know about it until the beginning of this book. the love interest was the ultimate Pilcher hero. Strong, good, closed off due to an unhappy relationship and a little intimidating. He reminded me a lot of Sandy, the scottish doctor in "Dear Enemy" by Jean Webster. Flora, our heroine, was the usual thin young kind and good girl, without the irritating weaknesses of th ...more
Kilian Metcalf
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think if you look up 'comfort read' in the dictionary, it will tell you 'see Rosemunde Pilcher.' It would in my own personal dictionary, anyway. I love her books for the robust good sense of the characters, the twists and turns of the plots, and the eventual happy ending, cleverly achieved. Usually lit is accomplished by somebody doing the right thing. I had to stop and think as I was reading this book 'is this a D. E. Stevenson novel?' but no, it was Pilcher, the next best thing to Stevenson. ...more
Maria Arnt
This is the second Rosamunde Pilcher book I have read, and the second where the male love interest slaps the female protagonist. I understand it's a product of its time, but I just find it disturbing, especially since it seemed unnecessary and contrary to his character.

Aside from that it was lovely. Beautiful descriptions, good emotional impact, and a clever twist on the old twin swapping story. Not the sort of plot that will have you up all night telling yourself 'just one more chapter,' but de
Katherine
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction, own, 2019
Elinor
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a stressful week, I set aside my heavier reading to escape into this Rosamund Pilcher romance about Flora, a twin who agrees to impersonate her sister as a favour, spending a week with a family who lives in the Scottish Highlands. It all goes terribly wrong, of course, and then it all comes wonderfully right.
Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan
Love Rosamunde Pilcher's "cosy" Cornwall/countryside stories of romance, but that's two books in a row where the romantic hero slaps the heroine and no one thinks it's weird. It's weird! Don't fall in love with that guy!
Mell
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This novel was my choice for "book bought at a library sale or thrift store" for the summer reading challenge.

One of her earlier and shorter books, Under Gemini is nowhere close to Pilcher's great novels. The setting and the family dynamic is good, but the plot is soap-opera worthy and literally unbelievable: two identical twins are separated at birth and randomly meet each other in an Italian restaurant in London. Worse yet, one impersonates the other. And there is insta love. It's like a Lifet
Joyce
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pilcher
Another good one

Another comforting and old fashioned story. I love her writing and this was another fun read to get lost in.
Hilde
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I need a pick-me-up or just want to curl up under a blanket and forget about my problems for a while, I turn to Rosamunde Pilcher. Her books are not exactly what you’d call high literature (I suppose they belong to the women’s fiction category), but they always give me that warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Under Gemini is no exception.

Flora and Rose are twins who were separated at birth – their parents took one each and never told them about it. Twenty-two years later they suddenly find them
Aubrey
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Rosamonde Pilcher but, in my opinion, it seems like her shorter novels are just not as good as the longer ones. This novel could have had more character development and depth. I never quite understood what drew the Flora and Hugh to one another. Also, this book was written in the 1970's and just did not translate well into this century (ie. guy slapping girl, girl apologizing and guy not needing to, girl begging guy for acceptance, etc.). I know we shouldn't put our current valu ...more
Debbie Robson
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rosamunde Pilcher is my favourite "popular" writer. She manages to be cosy and astute at the same time. Her small novels are all very readable and I believe were published by St Martins to grab some of the Mills & Boon market. This one is I think the best of these and it would make a very enjoyable film if the original setting of the 1970s was kept.
Here's a perfect example why I love Pilcher's writing:
"At once the small curled-up ball of fur at the end of Tuppy's bed resolved itself into an
Barbra
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
I don't think Rosamund Pilcher has ever written a bad book - they are all very readable.

Back Cover Blurb:
Flora and Rose are identical twins who do not know of each other's existence. Rose has been raised by her frivolous mother with the glossy international jet set. Flora has spent her childhood in the beauty and quiet of her father's Cornish cottage. And then, by chance, they meet.
The encounter seems heaven-sent to the shameless Rose, who longs to be free of a man she no longer desires. In taki
Joan Miller
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of her best. My

I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was somewhat predictable - because her writing and descriptions were so enjoyable that they drew me into the lives of these people. She is a writer like no other when it comes to inviting the reader into the story, to be part of it. Reading her books is like a vacation, getting away and having an adventure, without leaving home.
Linda
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Under Gemini is my favorite novel by Rosamunde Pilcher. I love the scene when Flora and Rose meet each other in the London restaurant. Rosamunde writes such lovely, heart-warming stories. Her characters are well-developed and likeable and she interweaves wonderful description that pulls you right into her characters' world. I'd love to live in one of Rosamunde's Scottish villages.
Lorraine
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Oh, this was one of my favourites of Ms. Pilcher's thinner novels. A woman is persuaded by her twin sister (that she didn't know she had) to impersonate her at her sister's finance's home in Scotland. She is very reluctant to go, and her twin doesn't care much for the boyfriend. She meets her "fiance's" family and just loves them and the house. But how to tell everyone who she really is?
Mary
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Flora and Rose are identical twins who have never met. Rose has been raised by a frivilous mother to be part of the international jet set and Flora has spent her childhood with her father in a quiet cottage. Then, one day, the twins meet. I loved this book and give it an A!
filming.pages
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2018
"Under Gemini" is a book about two identical twins, Flora and Rose, who were separated at birth. One day, they accidentaly meet and one thing leads to another and Flora finds herself "engaged" to Anthony and travelling all the way to Scotland to meet his family, posing as Rose.

Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favourite authors, as she manages to deliver human and heartfelt stories, narrating them in a simple way that makes you feel warm inside. I love how she always talks about Cornwall and Scotla
Sue
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scotland
Flora Waring has returned to London after spending the previous year with her father and new step-mother in Cornwall. She is sitting in a restaurant that evening when a woman walks in who could be her identical twin. It turns out that they are twins, although each had believed they were an only child. Rose invites Flora back to the apartment where she’s staying and they spend much of the night talking and getting to know each other. In the morning, Rose leaves to catch a flight to Greece. That’ ...more
Mela
'It can never be dull to be needed and to be important to people.'

I loved an atmosphere that Rosamunde Pilcher created in her books. These lovely families in a beautiful natural setting.

Life isn't always pleasurable but her stories showed that you can endure many tragedies and troubles when you are strong or/and have people to support you

The idea of twins that was used here was only a tool to picture for us the mentioned above truth.

"Under Gemini", like Voices in Summer, is just a one-step behi
CarolynAnn
2.5 star
I picked this up to read because I remember absolutely loving her books back in the 1970s... in fact, while I can't remember the details well, I do remember that The Shell Seekers was one of my favourite books I'd read up til that time and I plan to read it again soon. However, since this was available, I gave it a go. As other reviewers have said, I don't think it's possible to dislike a book by Rosamunde Pilcher... however, if, like me, you're looking for a novel like The Shell Seekers
Becca Richardson
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-light
This book follows the usual storyline of twins, Flora and Rose, separated at birth, that accidentally come across each other.

Flora and Rose are polar opposites, raised quite differently by the parent that they were with. Flora is sweet and loving, while Rose is cunning and spoiled.

When Rose dumps her fiance, he persuades Flora to take her place with him for a weekend visit to his family. As you might expect, this leads to many intriguing and enlightening situations.

Like all books by Rosamunde P
Lorraine
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Pilcher does two things very well: setting and character. The descriptions of the Scottish coast and Scottish manor homes and a posh London hotel and Cornwall by the sea--all are evocative and lush and beautiful to read. The characters in the novel are complex, interesting, and nuanced, and most of them are warm and kind people I'd love to spend a weekend with drinking tea and walking on the beach.

This is an Old School Romance and a product of its time, so there are some elements I could do with
Claudia
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I needed right now. A wholesome story where you know that everything will work out in the end.
Although there was one moment that really doesn't work in our time anymore (view spoiler). Since this book was published in 1974 I expect it is very much of its time even though this kind of behaviour should be considered wrong no matter when it was written.
Wendy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was younger, I read the novel "Shell Seekers" by Rosamunde Pilcher. Like an old friend, I re-discovered this great author and read "Winter Solstice". "Under Gemini" was absolutely as perfect as the first two. The author weaves a captivating tale, develops the characters and the plot line with just the right detail, and brings you into the setting and story line so much that you hate to finish the novel.

Wonderful!
Michelle Forsythe
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the concept of running into someone who looks just like you and then finding out you had a twin. But the story got a bit sappy as it went along. It would have been more interesting to have more dialogue between the two sisters and to see if they could ever really be close in spite of their many differences. I do enjoy Rosamund Pilcher's books though. It always makes me want to live in the places she describes.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Okay, I love Rosamunde Pilcher's books. I've read every one that I could find. And I love books with twins. But, in this one, I didn't like that the heroine was crying all the time. I also just wasn't quite believing that the hero and heroine fell in love in just three days. I also REALLY didn't like that the hero hit the heroine at one point when he thought she was behaving badly. That is not okay!
Anita Street
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did really enjoy this book, it was a love story that moved along at pace. However I do admit to being shocked by the gender roles from a book written in 1976 - during my lifetime - when all a nice girl wanted to do was to fall in love, get married, have children and do the housework. How things have changed! I can now see why my Mother in law disapproves of me so much...
Sandy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, 2019
I always enjoy Rosamunde Pilcher books. I liked Flora but there were a couple of times that she did really stupid things. That was really frustrating because the majority of the time she made reasonable decisions - but she was only 22.
Christina Desalvo
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Rosamunde Pilcher books are like comfort food to me. The characters are so well drawn that you could know them. It could be argued that not a lot happens in the book but they are a study of people and regular life.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Volevo i pantaloni
  • Nell
  • The Uncanny
  • The Doctor's Wife
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
“Antony was neat-fingered and had obviously done this thing many times before, but still indulged in a good deal of cursing and bad language before the new bow and a few arrows were finally done.” 0 likes