Start by marking “Stranger with My Face” as Want to Read:
Stranger with My Face

Stranger with My Face

Laurie was at home, but her boyfriend swears he saw her on the beach with another guy. Her family insists they see her coming and going when she's been out of the house for hours. Who--or what--is taking over Laurie's life?
Published September 1990 by Laurel Leaf Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Stranger with My Face, please sign up.
Man With No Name Depends on how young, I;m 18 and I find it more suspenseful than scary, but not knowing it's really scary.
Man With No Name I think that the real theme of the story is that some things are better to leave behind.

Ken
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As ‘Teen Creeps Podcast’ are covering this book, I wanted to read it before the latest episode was released.
This is my first Lois Duncan novel, though I know they covered some of her other books. I’m slowly working through the back catalogue!

Laurie’s friends and family keep telling her that they have seen her in places where she can’t have been, as Laurie was ill in bed. So how is this mysterious stranger?
I really liked the set up to the story, it’s a great mystery that instantly hooked me in.
I
Amber
Jun 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: margie
I read every one of these books I could find in the library in elementary school and junior high. Trashy yet enthralling. I associate them with the period of time I was convinced I could have superpowers if only I tried hard enough. I really really wanted paranormal powers-- particularly telekinesis. If it could happen to the girls in these books.. why not me?
Imogen
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
OH MAN it crushes my poor cold heart to sand to have to tell you this, because I used to borrow this book from the library over and over and over when I was in fifth grade and it's one of the things that really made me like books so goddam much, but it's just all about like "Native American people are mysterious and magical," which is not an okay theme. So sad! I was so stoked when I found it in a little used bookstore in Kokomo Indiana, because when I was little I think I just thought Laurie St ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, scary
I read this book years and years ago. In fact, I wasn't sure I had actually read it until I saw the summary of it in Bitch magazine.

It's a really creepy premise. A teenage girl is doing astral projection and while she's out of her body, the sister she didn't know she had slips her spirit into the vacated body. Well, something like that happens. I may have the details wrong about who the girl who slips into the body is. In any case, the protagonist is floating around in spirit, watching some othe
Paula
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it
I haven't read this book in a very long time. But I first discovered it when I was probably 10-years-old and I just kept taking it out of the library! I knew exactly where it was, what shelf it was on and it was ALWAYS there waiting for me. The librarians used to look at me and say, "Well there you go again Paula." This was my first introduction to science fiction (at least in book form) and it was awesome! What if your friends suddenly started acting strange and told you you did things that you ...more
Lena
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: suspense readers and writers
I didn't know what to expect when I got this book from the library. I had heard of the author, but I'd never read anything by her.

Duncan does an amazing job creating suspense. It was SO HARD to put this book down every time I had to stop reading. It caught me and never let go--the pace is relentless. This should be required reading for suspense writers, because so many get it wrong. Duncan is a master.

That said, I didn't really care for the main character. I tried hard to like her, and succeed
Janie Johnson
This was a pretty good tale, and the first time for me to read anything from Lois Duncan. I have become intrigued with this Authors talent, and plan on reading more of her works in the future.

No the book did not blow me away, but it was still very well written. The story was very fluid and easy to read and follow. I was a bit confused at the ending and felt like I was left hanging a bit, like it seemed to be left open for a sequel, but I would have liked a little more closure though.

Our main ch
Michelle
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's another Lois Duncan book I read several times as a youngster. I remembered a few things from it and realized this book formed my love and desire to live:
On a sweet little island where I need to take a ferry every day to go to school and whatnot
With my house perilously perched on a cliff to take in the best sea views
Where I would write all day as a job on my typewriter, click-clacking away.

Sometimes I wonder what books are going to seriously shape my own kids' lives. (I guess you could say
JenniferJ
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2012
In one word - Freaky! I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this story! It was really scary in a neat way. I totally freaked when she was sitting in front of the mirror and her image smiled at her and she realized that she herself was NOT smiling! Ohhhh I love it when things like that happens in movies and it sent a chill over me while reading it here as well!

I despised Laurie's so called friends and boyfriend. I'm like all they had to do if they cared at all was ask her family if she had be
Kat Williams
Feb 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I'm not going to waste my time reading this dated, often racist and size-ist, and altogether ludicrous teen novel. I bought it bored on a cold, empty winter day. We do crazy things when holed up in an ice cave for months on end. The purchase of this book is high on my list of wintry follies. Suffice to say I will never finish this. And now that spring is here I have no desire to have this sitting among my things, creating added clutter. Be off with you Stranger! I don't care about you nor your e ...more
Midnyte Reader
Lois Duncan is a huge name in the literary world, who has written many, (many, many) books and received many (manymanymany) awards. I Know What You Did Last Summer may be her most recognizable. However, I can't remember reading any of her books growing up, but I recognized her name when I picked up this audio book in the library. My other reasons for checking this out were 1) We don't have a huge selection in our library and 2) It was earmarked as Supernatural. I'm not sure I would really recomm ...more
Nykia Burdine
I haven't read this book since I was eleven or twelve years, and like most of the other people in these reviews, it was my absolute favorite book of my childhood. I'm pretty sure I read it about seven or eight times when I was in seventh grade. I was just so amazed by astral projection and Laurie's story in general. By the way, the Lifetime movie adaption was absolute crap, just like everything else on Lifetime. It did no justice to this beautiful book whatsoever. Just saying. Don't waste your t ...more
Nicole Collins
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in eighth grade over 20 years ago and loved it then just realized the author died last year rip your books were everything to me as a teen and helps remind me of why ive always loved reading!!
Andrew
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the premise of the novel. It has some elements that will certainly hold a reader's interest: astral projection, evil twins, disfigured boyfriends, and the like. It's a fun little read, if you're looking for a short book to pass the time.
Ashely Nicole
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-absolute-favs
Once again, Lois Duncan gave me a book I could not put down. I loved it! Can't wait to read more like it :)
N.N. Light
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and loved the suspense. I just re-read it again and in the exact same places, I shivered. A tad predictable and the story drags a bit. A gripping mystery that'll keep you guessing until the very end.

My Rating: 4 stars
Rachel
Feb 16, 2018 added it
Rachel Wargo
2/16/18
AP Lang
Mrs. Smeenk
Book Review

Stranger With My Face is an amazing novel that i would surely recommend for many of my friends. This is a typical mystery novel that is exactly what the title is. This girl, Laurie has her life all put together. She has her siblings, and her great parents. She has her group of friends and the popular guy finally has a crush on her. As she goes through her daily life she doesn’t think anything could go wrong, until another her began to appear. I
Eileen Dierner
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
i absolutely want to read more books by the author in the future, but not in the near future-top many books, to little time
Dawn
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Read it around 32 years ago so it was like reading it for the first time again. Enjoyed it so much!
Anna
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Emma Williams
While discussing the state of popular YA fiction, I was recommended this book by Emma C. Williams, author of 'World Enough and Time'. I pretty much straight away reserved a copy at my local library and after waiting several weeks for it to be ordered in, brought it home and started straight away. I read this in what probably amounts to a 24 hour period. I started it in the evening and finished it the following afternoon. I was just that hooked on it.

Laurie Stratton is just your everyday sixteen
Sarah! Smith
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
C.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage, ya
Melissa Goodnight
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember LOVING this book when I was a kid, but I haven't read it in so long, my review is likely biased by memory and time. Need to read this again!
Liz
Jun 28, 2012 added it
A rather spooky childhood favorite!
Mckaylamay
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
it was ok. It wasn't Duncan's best book, but it was still creepy on some parts.
Lea N.
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Corinne Keener
For more thoughts and discussion of Lois Duncan and Stranger With My Face listen to Episode 19 of The Bookstore, a podcast I host with my friend Becca about book news, discussions, and reviews . Wherever fine podcasts are sold.

I found Lois Duncan's books in my middle school library when I was in 7th grade. Exactly the same way that thousands have. I was immediately obsessed with the dark and mysterious, sometimes supernatural themes. This was roughly around 2001.

Re-reading Duncan in 2018 left me
Halcyon Daze
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Plot:
Laurie Stratton is a high school junior living on a picturesque island off the cost of New England. She has a fairly happy life - a hot boyfriend, a great family, and an upper middle class (if not outright wealthy) lifestyle. Then one day, a girl who looks exactly like her begins to appear in her life, a girl who claims to be her long-lost sister Lia . . .

Characters:
Laurie Stratton: Our Duncan heroine for this book. She's a mature, thoughtful girl who loves her family. I mean, she's really
Pamela
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it was chosen by the BookStore podcast and it was short enough to finish before their discussion. The podcast hosts chose it because they had read her books back when they were teens and wanted to reread one of Duncan's books to see how well it held up. Since I am older than they are I hadn't heard of Duncan but have since found out she was a very prolific and popular author among young readers. I enjoyed this book for what it was, an enjoyable suspense/paranormal novel ...more
BRNTerri

I'm reviewing the original version, not the modernized 2010 reissue. It's really hard to discuss this book without giving away the supernatural plot, but I'll try.

I didn't know this was supernatural until I started reading it so I'm disappointed. The mystery surrounding why people are seeing Laurie when she says they aren't was the most interesting part of the story. Once the reveal of what was going on happened, the supernatural plot revealed itself and it became far-fetched and less interestin
  • Are You in the House Alone?
  • The Other Side of Dark
  • Gimme a Kiss
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • The Boy Who Reversed Himself
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • Prom Dress
  • To Take A Dare
Lois Duncan (born Lois Duncan Steinmetz) was an American writer and novelist, known primarily for her books for children and young adults, in particular (and some times controversially considering her young readership) crime thrillers. Duncan's parents were the noted magazine photographers Lois Steinmetz and Joseph Janney Steinmetz. She was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but grew up in Saraso ...more
“Life continues, and we all of us keep changing and building, toward what we cannot know.” 16 likes