HeavyReader's Reviews > Stranger with My Face

Stranger with My Face by Lois Duncan

Dec 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, scary

I read this book years and years ago. In fact, I wasn't sure I had actually read it until I saw the summary of it in Bitch magazine.

It's a really creepy premise. A teenage girl is doing astral projection and while she's out of her body, the sister she didn't know she had slips her spirit into the vacated body. Well, something like that happens. I may have the details wrong about who the girl who slips into the body is. In any case, the protagonist is floating around in spirit, watching some other spirit propelling her body around. Of course, everyone thinks the protagonist's body is inhabited by the protagonist's spirit, and there's not much she can do to correct the mistake.

Kept me too scared to try astral projection during the time I thought it was maybe possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger with My Face.

02/05/2016 marked as: read

Nomy yes! yes! this book was a big deal to me as a fifth grader. the deal is, she doesn't know she's adopted and has an "evil twin" out there in the world (they are mixed-race native kids, so i think it's interesting that the other girl, who uses magic, is considered "evil"). the twin sister comes to her and convinces her to astral project and then takes over her body and tries to kill her siblings... i remember the cover of the edition i had showed the girl looking in the mirror, brushing her hair, and the mirror girl smiling at her. so scary!

by the way, i have been trying to remember this book i read around the same time, about a girl who starts having these dreams where she's moving really slow and there are these bright flashing lights, then she realizes another kid in her class is also having the dreams... turns out they were both present at a UFO landing when they were little, and there had been a woman there who was pregnant, and had her dog with her, and the dog is sending them these dreams because the FBI is after the woman's kid because he has psychikinetic powers... anyway, it was so good and i cant remember the name of it. and it sounds like you and i read a lot of the same books when we were kids. so maybe you remember it?

HeavyReader I don't recall this UFO book. I don't think I read it. How did I miss it? If you remember the name of it, let me know, because I would totally read it now.

Nomy any idea how i might find a book that i can't remember the name or author of?

HeavyReader Well, as a library worker, I can tell you that librarians tend to laugh at people who go into libraries asking for help finding books when they don't know the title or authors. Of course, professional librarian is not going to laugh in your face, but might laugh at you in the staff room, or at least laugh at you in their head.

That said, maybe a really with it children's or young adult librarian might remember it, especially if you find one who was working or reading during the time you read the book.

My only other idea is type some words in a search engine. "UFO" "FBI""dreams" "pregnant"

It's obviously going to be more difficult if the book is out of print.

Nomy yeah, i've done those kind of searches already... i think it is doomed to be a mystery... i remember so much of the book, i could describe the entire plot but i can't remember anything about the title. grr.

HeavyReader I wish this site had some kind of feature where folks could post book mysteries like this one, in hopes that other readers could identify the book.

Today I remembered a book I read a few years ago. It was a question and answer book about Jewish beliefs, meant for adults. I think the author was a rabbi. That's all I can remember, but I'm sure someone on GoodReads would know what I'm talking about.

Nomy there's this site called fluther where you can ask questions and they get routed to people who have related interests and expertise. it would be cool if they could include a feature like that on goodreads.

HeavyReader I should check out that site. Maybe you could ask about your mystery book there!

I'm trying to find another book too. I should run it by you, since we seemed to have read a lot of the same young adult books.

The one I'm trying to remember was called Diary of the ...Place. The missing word was the family's name. I want to say Strombridge, but that might not be right. I am pretty sure it was something that sounded something sort of like strawberry.

This was the plot: a young girl in the family kept a diary. The story was set before the Civil War. Somehow it comes out that the family farm (or maybe it was actually a plantation) was a stop on the Underground Railroad or in some way was helping enslaved people escape slavery.

I read the book multiple times and know exactly where to find it in the small town library I borrowed it from and I am really bothered that I can find no record of its existence.

Can you help me out?

Maybe I should try doing a subject search in my library's catalog.

Nomy oh man, sorry i don't know that book. wish i did. i'm going to go to fluther right now and post about the other book. i'll let you know if i figure out what it is. xoxnomy

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm going to jump into the conversation - I'm sorry I don't know the names of the books you're looking for, but there is a group on Goodreads which might help out-
Good Luck!

HeavyReader Amy, this is excellent! Thank you so much for the information. I could spend a lot of hours with this group!

Right now I am in the middle of a writing project, so I am just going to join the group and not get too involved, but I definitely want to spend some time poking around here soon.

again, thanks!

HeavyReader Amy and Nomy,

I just joined the group and within five minutes reading old posts, remembered a historical fiction romance series for young adults that I totally read like the dickens when I was in middle school and high school. I had TOTALLY forgotten about these books, even though I read them repeatedly. Now I've been able to add those books to my shelves.

This is awesome, but dang, I could totally forget about my writing project and spend the whole day on GoodReads.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy I've been known to spend too much time on Goodreads myself...

message 14: by Nomy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nomy i'm so excited! i just posted something to that group. thanks.

HeavyReader Hey Nomy,

Please tell me if the group helps you find the book you are looking for. I haven't posted my mystery books yet, but will soon.

message 16: by Nomy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nomy yes! within hours, apparently it is one many people have asked about. it's called "into the dream" by william sleator. i don't remember that being the name when i was a kid, but the cover looks the same. someone suggested that it was previously published under another name. i think you will have good luck. :)

HeavyReader Wow! Great news and so fast! Yes, I need to post my mystery books!

CHC94 That cover where Laurie is holding the necklace and looking very surprised to see her twin smirking back at her is the same cover I had.

I loved this book. And I am still trying astral projection... all these years later.

message 19: by Cheyenna (new) - added it

Cheyenna Marshall Can you please put a spoiler warning on this? It's one of the first reviews and it spoiled me.