Pick-a-Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,548 (1548 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Cam (last edited Aug 20, 2009 06:01PM) (new)

Cam I hope there isn't another thread like this already in existence (sorry if there is). Thought I'd introduce the new shelf picker here. For September's shelf, the name drawn out was - Jennifer (P).
Congratulations Jennifer, looking forward to hearing what your shelf of choice is going to be, have a world of fun choosing.
Cheers & Regards
Cam
P.S. Have sent Jennifer (of the sunset) a message as there are a few Jennifer's so I hope I haven't caused any confusion.

message 2: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments Congrats, Jennifer! Can't wait to see what next month's shelf will be!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments Thanks...I'm really excited to pick one!!! I'll let everyone know soon : )

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Congratulations, Jennifer of the sunset! We await your choice! :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
From now on we will call you Jennifer of the sunset. I like that. SO - can't wait to see what the pick is, congrats@!!

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments I'm totally okay with that...I love that name....heheheheh : )

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Can't wait to see what you pick Jennifer!

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ossycolly) Hi,I'm Colleen and I jusat joined this group this morning. Im very excited!!! Still trying to navigate my way around. Could someone please let me know - once Jennifer of the Sunset picks a shelf, do we pick a book from that shelf individually? or does Jennifer pick the actual book? And if we pick a book individually - with a choice of so many, how can we be sure we will be reading what someone else is, so we can discuss it?

message 9: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Hi, Colleen! Welcome! I think most of your questions will be answered in this thread: Pick-a-Shelf - How to...
Read through that and if you still have some questions, feel free to post them!

Colleen wrote: "Hi,I'm Colleen and I jusat joined this group this morning. Im very excited!!! Still trying to navigate my way around. Could someone please let me know - once Jennifer of the Sunset picks a shelf, d..."

Hey Colleen, welcome to the group. We are a great group, I hope you will love the group as much as I do.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Colleen wrote: "Hi,I'm Colleen and I jusat joined this group this morning. Im very excited!!! Still trying to navigate my way around. Could someone please let me know - once Jennifer of the Sunset picks a shelf, d..."

Welcome to the group Colleen! Hope you love it as much as the rest of us!!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments Welcome to the group Colleen!!!

And yes, I did pick a shelf for the month of September...and it is...
historical-fiction.

I've been wanting to read more of this genre so I hope everyone else enjoys it & I can't wait to read everyone's reviews so I can add more books to my TBR!!!

HAPPY readings!!!

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments great choice jennifer of the sunset! teehee

I have so many on my TBR list already for historical fiction can't wait to get started :)

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Great choice, lots of great books to chose from!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Great choice! I have tons of books that fit into that category :)

message 16: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 20, 2009 06:06AM) (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments For the upcoming shelf, the name was drawn and it was... Sara☺

Congratulations Sara and I can't wait to see your pick!

HAPPY readings!!!
Jennifer of the Sunset

BTW...I sent a message to Sara just in case she misses this

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Thanks! I am hoping to pick later today!

message 18: by Cam (new)

Cam WooHoo Sara Congratulations, happy picking!

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments I just posted the link for October. I have picked the Paranormal shelf. Hope you all enjoy!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments Yay, that was my second choice for this month!!!

Exciting!!!

Cool pick Sara. I can knock off some TBRs with this

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Yeah!! Glad you can all use some of your TBR's!!

message 23: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Awesome!! Congrats Sara! Paranormal looks like it will be a fun shelf!!

message 24: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Perfect choice, Sara! Fun!!

message 25: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments Nice choice, Sara! Now let's see what I'll be reading...

message 26: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments What a great choice for October, with Halloween and all :op

message 27: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments We're on the third leg of the month, so shall we choose who the next shelf pricker will be? Sara, it's your pick :)

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments The shelf picker for November has been chosen, and the lucky reader is.....Arlene!

Can't wait to see what shelf you pick!

I emailed Arlene to let her know also.

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Congrats Arlene!! Can't wait to see the next shelf!

message 30: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Yay, Arlene! Congrats!!

message 31: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments Congrats, Arlene!! Can't wait to see next month's selections!

message 32: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments Oh, wow, I had just joined in August and am really getting into this as a way to keep focused (what to read next - so many choices?)
Thank you for choosing me. So I have to look at your past shelves and see what I can find that is a little different. I'll be thinking about this all day at work! I'll get back to you soon.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 61 comments I can't wait to see your pick Arlene...congrats!!!

message 34: by Cam (new)

Cam Excellent Arlene - Happy picking!

message 35: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ossycolly) Looking forward to seeing what you choose Arlene

message 36: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 94 comments Congrats Arlene, looking forward to seeing what shelf you pick :)

Arlene - Congrats!!

Not that I want to push, but I order most of my books from the library, so for timing sake, I was wondering if you new what shelf you were going to pick yet?

message 38: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments So many shelves to choose from! Now there are six pages of shelves with over 1000 titles on them! Eliminating those already choosen and obvious duplicates (there are multiple shelves with the same names, just writen a little differently such as “romance” and “romantic”) and generic shelves such as “misc”, “reread”. “don’t own” and “paperback”) there are still a hundreds of shelves that fit. I also eliminated shelves such as “technology” and “mathematics” because I think that they really don’t fit the purposes of the group and the shelves that the group have already used.

So I have chosen “Asia” or “Asian” as the shelf for the month. There are actually two different shelves for the topic with over 1000 books each. Most books are on both shelves but there are some different ones on each. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Philippines and had the chance to travel across Asia on my way home from my years there. There are so many great authors on these shelves from Amy Tan, Pearl Buck and Gail Tsukiyama to books like the two travel books I just finished reading, Paul Theroux’s “Great Railway Bazaar” and “Riding the Iron Rooster”; the popular “Kite Runner” and “Three Cups of Tea” and one on my TBR shelf, “Q&A” (aka Slumdog Millionaire). I could also recommend “Noli mi Tangre” which is sometimes called the “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” of the Philippines. It was written by Philippine martyr, Dr. Jose Rizal.

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

message 39: by Rora (new)

Rora Good choice Arlene. I've been wanting to read The Joy Luck Club for years.

message 40: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments You will enjoy it!

message 41: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Rora wrote: "Good choice Arlene. I've been wanting to read The Joy Luck Club for years. "

OMG, one of the BEST BOOKS EVER. Enjoy!

message 42: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Some great books to choose from!!

message 43: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Well, I found a lot of books that sound interesting, and several already on my TBR pile.

I will go with "The Good Earth" since it fits on several challenges I am doing. Then "Throne of Jade" and "Shinju" which I already own. I would also like to try "Kitchen" and "1001 Cranes" if I can find them.

I would highly recommend a couple of books I didn't see anywhere: The Court of the Lion and The Inn of the Sixth Happiness", both 5 star books for me. Also, "The Samurai's Garden" is one of the best books I have ever read.

message 44: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Okay, so I just ordered "1001 Cranes", "Kitchen" and "Graceling" from Amazon. The link was RIGHT THERE. They were really cheap and I got free shipping! Please don't tell my husband or my bookshelves.

message 45: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments Lynn and Cam please put your lists on the discussion topic: "What do you plan to read in November (Asian)?" That way everyone will be sure to see them.

message 46: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Ohhh..exciting! Good choice for a shelf...can't wait!

message 47: by Cam (new)

Cam Arlene, I'm a bit confused, I think that's where I left them. But I'll be happy to add the other 13 from the long list if you want some more :) Lourve the choice by the way, now I just have to work out which to read first. Very excited!

message 48: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 145 comments Cam, I'm sorry - I was on the computer after work - it is just Lynne's list that is misplaced.

message 49: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Sorry, I got so excited at looking at the lists that I forgot to switch windows.

message 50: by Cam (new)

Cam Not at all Arlene, it's a wonder that I didn't, I am a bit like Lynne - very enthused by your choice.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.