Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Challenge - General > Where does this book fit?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 648 (648 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Jacklyn (new)

Jacklyn | 15 comments I finally got The Great Alone from the library after waiting forever on the waiting list. I will probably not get to it until the new year - any suggestions on where what prompt it will work for? I know it would work for a book about a family - anywhere else?

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 676 comments Jacklyn wrote: "I finally got The Great Alone from the library after waiting forever on the waiting list. I will probably not get to it until the new year - any suggestions on where what prompt it ..."

Since you have it now, you could use the book you meant to read last year, or perhaps a book you think should be made into a movie.

message 3: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 815 comments Katy wrote: "Jacklyn wrote: "I finally got The Great Alone from the library after waiting forever on the waiting list. I will probably not get to it until the new year - any suggestions on where..."

A book about a family is the only other one I can think of.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments What about a book read during the season it is set in? It sounds like it takes place, at least partially, in the winter?

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (crissytina) | 83 comments You could use it for a book with a plant on the cover too.

message 6: by Tytti (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Tytti | 355 comments I plan on reading the Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, meaning that the book includes all the 56 short stories of the original canon (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, His Last Bow, and The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes) and also The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The book has over 1300 pages, so I wouldn't feel like cheating for using it for different prompts (one collection of stories for one prompt) if can think of any...

I believe I have read the first three books as a child, so I will be using one of them for the re-reading prompt, maybe one also for the nostalgia prompt, but I have another book for that, as well. I think there is one story (or more) with a puzzle in it but that's about it. Any ideas?

message 7: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 689 comments Tytti wrote: "I plan on reading the Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, meaning that the book includes all the 56 short stories of the original canon (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, [book:The Me..."

Plant in the title - The Five Orange Pips, The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
A book about someone with a superpower - arguably Holmes' deductive skills count as a superpower
A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature - Hound of the Baskervilles?

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 190 comments Tytti wrote: "I plan on reading the Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, meaning that the book includes all the 56 short stories of the original canon (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, [book:The Me..."

I'm using Sherlock Holmes for the book with a famous idiom prompt: Elementary, my dear Watson, or the game is afoot.

message 9: by Tytti (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Tytti | 355 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Tytti wrote: "I plan on reading the Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, meaning that the book includes all the 56 short stories of the original canon (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes..."

Hound of the Baskervilles is a novel, not one of the 56 short stories, and I will probably try to find a "real" superpower. Orange Pips might work but the others have different names as translations (but thanks, I hadn't realised they were plants!), and I try to go with them but I could use "His Last Bow" as a title with two words for that reason and also the last collection was published posthumously, I realised those both after writing the question. :D (But the first one is easy enough as it is and I have another book planned to the second one but luckily I could change it...)

message 10: by Tytti (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Tytti | 355 comments Jenny wrote: " Elementary, my dear Watson, or the game is afoot."

I seem to recall reading that one or both of them were not actually used in the stories but come from the films or something... Also it wouldn't really work for me, I am reading translations. I "just" (=a few years ago as a present for myself) bought the book because of the brand new translations! The ones I read as a child were quite old (probably from the time when even our language wasn't quite so developed as a written language as it is today... :D).

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1616 comments Sometimes you figure out prompts it will fit only as you are reading...so keep that in mind!

message 12: by Teri (last edited Dec 19, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1098 comments "The game is afoot" is in one of the Sherlock stories because I was delighted when I read it, but it didn't originate there. It is a Shakespeare phrase.

I'm pretty sure that "Elementary, my dear Watson" isn't in the Sherlock stories.

message 13: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 355 comments Theresa wrote: "Sometimes you figure out prompts it will fit only as you are reading...so keep that in mind!"

But considering the length of the book and that they are short stories and also that I want to take my time reading them, it will probably take me at least half a year, if not the whole year, to read it, so I could very easily read something else that fits in a certain prompt and nowhere else. So it probably won't help me if I figure it out in the fall...

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 236 comments Well- if it’s any help, even if it came from the movies (which in searching my complete collection of Sherlock Holmes it seems there is no occasion of: “Elementary..Watson!”) the prompt says “a book that inspired a common phrase/idiom”.

Book inspired movie inspired phrase... that’s just my thinking though.

message 15: by Majo (new)

Majo | 9 comments I finally got Educated from the library. Where would it fit for the 2019 prompts?

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 190 comments Sarah wrote: "Well- if it’s any help, even if it came from the movies (which in searching my complete collection of Sherlock Holmes it seems there is no occasion of: “Elementary..Watson!”) the prompt says “a boo..."

Same for me. When we were discussing books to use for this prompt on the thread, we all agreed this could fit.

message 17: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 186 comments Majo wrote: "I finally got Educated from the library. Where would it fit for the 2019 prompts?"

It fits book about a family and possibly set on college or university campus but that depends how strict you are with prompts since it's only a small portion of the book.

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (xxreadwithcharliexx) | 36 comments Alongside this challenge, I'm also planning on doing the Stephen King's Dark Tower challenge, and was wondering if you lot could possibly help me put the books into some of the prompts for Pop Sugar?

Books are
Dark Tower 2-7 (separate; and already have the first book in the "musician" prompt)
The Stand
The Talisman
The Eyes of the Dragon
Everything's Eventual
Salem's Lot
Insomnia
Hearts of Atlantis
Black House

Thanks in advance

message 19: by Irma (new)

Irma Alam (irmaalam) | 9 comments does Lolita fit anywhere

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Charlotte wrote: "Alongside this challenge, I'm also planning on doing the Stephen King's Dark Tower challenge, and was wondering if you lot could possibly help me put the books into some of the prompts for Pop Suga..."

I don't know most of these books, but since 'Salem's Lot includes vampires, it could work for extinct or imaginary creatures

message 21: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 355 comments Irma wrote: "does Lolita fit anywhere"

IIRC, I saw it being read in the movie "Molly Maxwell" and probably in other movies/series, as well. David Bowie had it on his list, also I guess one could say it was about a family..? And maybe also "a book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom" because that's where "Lolita" comes from.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments Looking for where I can fit my Christmas gifts in. Santa brought me:

The Princess Diarist
The Life of P. T. Barnum
Reflection
Part of Your World
Daniel Deronda

I also have a book token from my brother so I think I'll be able to get two or three more with it! Feeling very lucky at the moment :)

message 23: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 15 comments Hi new to all this and having hard time putting things into the categories. Not sure why. :-) any Thoughts on where Shogun by James Clavell would fit? Thanks!!

message 24: by Juliebean (new)

Juliebean (juliebean512) | 145 comments Sarah wrote: "Looking for where I can fit my Christmas gifts in. Santa brought me:

The Princess Diarist
The Life of P. T. Barnum
Reflection
[book:Part of Your World..."

I can't help with all of them, but:

Part of Your World: Imaginary Creature
Reflection: Retelling of a Classic
Daniel Deronda or The Princess Diarist: Two Word Title (depends on how you feel about "the")

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Varick-cooper | 234 comments Jodi wrote: "Hi new to all this and having hard time putting things into the categories. Not sure why. :-) any Thoughts on where Shogun by James Clavell would fit? Thanks!!"

Pretty sure Shogun has multiple POVs.

message 26: by Sarina (new)

Sarina (inquisitiveowl) | 36 comments Juliebean wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Looking for where I can fit my Christmas gifts in. Santa brought me:

The Princess Diarist
The Life of P. T. Barnum
Reflection
[book:Part..."

The Princess Diarist could fit in A Book That Makes You Nostalgic if you are nostalgic for the years when Star Wars first came out. A majority of it is about Carrie’s Star Wars memories.

message 27: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 15 comments Linda wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Hi new to all this and having hard time putting things into the categories. Not sure why. :-) any Thoughts on where Shogun by James Clavell would fit? Thanks!!"

Pretty sure Shogun has..."

Awesome!! Thanks

message 28: by Trish (new)

Trish | 4 comments I'm looking to see if there are any suggestions to where I could fit the following:
The Long Walk by Richard Bachman
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
The Astonishing Color of After
Middlesex

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Trish wrote: "I'm looking to see if there are any suggestions to where I could fit the following:
Middlesex"

Middlesex also fits a book about a family.

message 30: by Trish (new)

Trish | 4 comments Thank you!

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1080 comments Trish wrote: "I'm looking to see if there are any suggestions to where I could fit the following:
Middlesex"

If you are doing the advanced prompt's you could pair Dark Matter with Michelle Paver's Dark Matter for two books with the same title.

message 32: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julihoop) | 14 comments I got Michelle Obama's "Becoming" for the holidays. Where could I fit it in?

message 33: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 186 comments Juliana wrote: "I got Michelle Obama's "Becoming" for the holidays. Where could I fit it in?"

I did as well and can't wait to read it! I'm slotting it in for A book that makes you nostalgic (this was recommended in the thread for that prompt and I loved the idea so I stole it! Sorry I don't recall who it was) since I am nostalgic for when the Obamas were in the White House.

If you admire Barack Obama you can also use it for A book recommended by a celeb you admire since of course he has recommended the book.

message 34: by Edie (new)

Edie | 58 comments I am reading Becoming along with a book by Barack Obama for the 2 prompts with a common theme... the theme books by a president and his wife...or books by the Obamas

message 35: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (catladylibrary) | 4 comments Does Verity by Colleen Hoover fit any prompts?

message 36: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julihoop) | 14 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Juliana wrote: "I got Michelle Obama's "Becoming" for the holidays. Where could I fit it in?"

I did as well and can't wait to read it! I'm slotting it in for A book that makes you nostalgic (this ..."

Oh, nostalgic is great! I yearn for the Obama presidency every day.

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3151 comments Mod
Juliana wrote: "I got Michelle Obama's "Becoming" for the holidays. Where could I fit it in?"

Definitely for the nostalgia prompt for me as well! (I just treated myself and bought a copy since it was reduced 30%! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to me! lol) It could work for a book you meant to read in 2018, or a book recommended by a celebrity you admire (if you admire Oprah...which I do!), or I suppose you could stretch it to be a book about a family? How about a book about someone with a superpower? LOL I would consider that appropros! I bet you could fit it somewhere within favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR reading challenge. Would it be considered an "own voices" book? (That should start a huge debate! lol) Those are my suggestions! :)

message 38: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 16 comments Any suggestions on Scythe fitting in?

message 39: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 16 comments Trish wrote: "I'm looking to see if there are any suggestions to where I could fit the following:
Middlesex"

Dark matter could be under 2 word title or the puzzle or a book about family

message 40: by Krithika (new)

Krithika | 4 comments I'm planning to start the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Any idea where the books might fit?

message 41: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5474 comments Mod
Krithika wrote: "I'm planning to start the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Any idea where the books might fit?"

Characters with super-powers
multiple POVs
imaginary creatures
chapters that start with a quote (depending on how strict you want to be with that category - I think the chapters are numbered conventionally, but they also start with a journal entry)

message 42: by Tasja (new)

Tasja (ladylovecraft) | 2 comments Started reading 'The Walworth Beauty' by Michele Roberts. Does that one fit in anywhere?

message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan Paprocki (megrocki1) | 1 comments I would like to read all the Anne of Green Gables books and am having a hard time fitting them all into the categories. I have most of them figured out but I'm stumped as to where Anne of Avonlea or Rilla of Inleside would fit. Here's what I have so far:

Anne of Green Gables (reread of a favorite book)
Anne of Avonlea
Anne of the Island (Book set on a college or university campus)
Anne of Windy Poplars (A book with a plant in the title)
Anne's House of Dreams (Book that includes a wedding)
Anne of Ingleside (Book about a family)
Rainbow Valley (A book with a two-word title)
Rilla of Ingleside

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5474 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "I would like to read all the Anne of Green Gables books and am having a hard time fitting them all into the categories. I have most of them figured out but I'm stumped as to where Anne of Avonlea o..."

you could use one for "previous category" because in the past we've had a category that was "next book in a series"

are any of them set in a particular season? do they make you nostalgic? are there hobbies involved? I don't know because I haven't read any.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments Megan wrote: "I would like to read all the Anne of Green Gables books and am having a hard time fitting them all into the categories. I have most of them figured out but I'm stumped as to where Anne of Avonlea o..."

I seem to remember Rilla doing a lot of sewing and stuff for the war effort so you could count that as a hobby?

If Anne of Avonlea is also a favourite you could use that for favourite and use Anne of Green Gables as seen in a Movie/TV show (I'm sure I remember Lisa Simpson reading it)

message 46: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 228 comments Charlotte wrote: "Alongside this challenge, I'm also planning on doing the Stephen King's Dark Tower challenge, and was wondering if you lot could possibly help me put the books into some of the prompts for Pop Suga..."

I'm not that familiar with them, but a lot of them would fit the prompt for a book with a two word title.

message 47: by Hila Reads (last edited Jan 01, 2019 11:43AM) (new)

Hila Reads | 2 comments I just started Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo. I'm wondering where, if anywhere, this book would fit in the 2019 challenge.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 96 comments I just got The Female Persuasion from a friend and really want to fit it in the challenge.
Any Ideas?
ATY Challenge Ideas also appreciated :)

message 49: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (plentyofpages) | 19 comments Can anyone think of somewhere to fit Murder on the Orient Express?

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 96 comments Tytti wrote: "I plan on reading the Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, meaning that the book includes all the 56 short stories of the original canon (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, [book:The Me..."

I don't know what your edition looks like, but most of them have an item of clothing or accessory on the cover (like the pipe or the hat).
I also read them last year for the ugly cover promt (because my edition is really old and ugly). So maybe it could fit in the previous challenge promt.
And if you want to strech it a bit you could use watson as an 'amateur detective'. He is a physician after all.

I personally think you could also use it for the 2books with the same title, since they all have Sherlock Holmes in the title (close enough for me)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13