Start by marking “His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)” as Want to Read:
His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)

Read Book

His Last Bow

(Sherlock Holmes #8)

'His Last Bow', the title story of this collection, tells how Sherlock Holmes is brought out of retirement to help the Government fight the German threat at the approach of the First World War. The Prime Minister himself requests Holmes's services to hunt down the remarkable German agent, Von Bork. Several of the detective's earlier cases complete the volume, including 'Wi ...more
Published December 18th 2006 by Headline (first published October 22nd 1917)

Start your review of His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
Jayson
(A-) 84% | Very Good
Notes: Precursor to the spy genre, it's Holmes, Sherlock Holmes, secret agent, with more consequential and real world plots.
Ahmad Sharabiani
His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8), Arthur Conan Doyle

Contents:
Preface by John H. Watson, M.D. (1917)
The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge (1908)
The Adventure of the Cardboard Box (1892)
The Adventure of the Red Circle (1911)
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans (1908)
The Adventure of the Dying Detective (1913)
The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax (1911)
The Adventure of the Devil's Foot (1910)
His Last Bow. The War Service of Sherlock Holmes (1917).

عنوانها: ماجراهای شرلوک هولمز: آخر
K.D. Absolutely
The Sherlock Holmes collection that has the fewest number of short stories: 8. It is even a story-less in its British edition. This is called His Last Bow because it shares that title with its anchor (last) story. Other than that reason, I could not associate any of the other stories with Holmes bowing out as they all have the same ingredients or formula as the earlier Sherlock Holmes literary pieces.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. John Scott Eccles consults Holmes and Watson regarding the dea
Exina
A great collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I've read four stories:

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans - 4 stars

The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax - 4 stars

The Adventure of the Dying Detective - 2 stars

His Last Bow: An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes - 4 stars

Werner
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of short-format, traditional mystery
My Goodreads friend Steve Haywood and I agreed, early this year, to read this collection together this month as a buddy read. He wanted to do a story collection; and I suggested this one, since I knew it was the only remaining book in the Holmes canon that I hadn't officially read. So, on turning the last page, I marked another literary milestone, completing an odyssey begun in childhood; there are no more original Sherlock Holmes stories to read for the first time!

As it turned out, there probab
Aishu Rehman
His Last Bow collects eight Sherlock Holmes stories that first ran in The Strand Magazine from 1908 to 1913, as well as including the eponymous “His Last Bow”, which ran in 1917. (“The Adventure of the Cardboard Box” is included in American editions of this collection; Brits will find that story in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.) Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson are on the case yet again, with Watson serving as Holmes’ faithful biographer for seven of the eight stories collected here. The Br ...more
RJ from the LBC
This short story collection is one of the finest and most even entries in the series. Subtitled "Some Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes," the brief preface indicates that Holmes has retired after his war service.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge - 4/5 - someone's past comes back to haunt him! No, really!
The Adventure of the Cardboard Box - 4/5 - what's in the box?
The Adventure of the Red Circle: by Arthur Conan Doyle - 4/5 - insert "circle of trust joke" here
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Pl
Diane
This is the penultimate collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I have spent my summer going through the Sherlock canon, and I am a bit sad to be nearing the end of my time with the great detective. Even though some of the stories are not the best mysteries, they have a certain charm to them that makes them endearing to read.

In this collection, my favorites were "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans," "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," and "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot." The fina
James Tivendale
This was pretty enjoyable read consisting of 8 short stories. Although they are arguably not as consitant and entertaining as Adventures of... and Return of... I would say half the stories here are very good. Devil's Foot was one of my favourites which was reminiscent of The Hound of The Baskervilles where Sherlock goes and explores on his own via long walks in strange places and leaves the readers in the dark before the big reveals following the masterful deductions he is famous for.

I like the
Ali
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times when only certain types of books will do, when one is feeling in need of some consoling literary friend. At such times I often reach for Agatha Christie, although another old and comforting literary companion is Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

This fairly slight volume contains eight fascinating Holmes stories, each of them a fairly decent length, utterly perfect to curl up with on a chilly December evening. I adore the character of Holmes, it matches exactly the mood that Doyle cr
Kylie🐾
Okay so I own 5 Sherlock books and this is the first one I’ve read. WOW I AM SPEECHLESS! I wish I read them sooner.
The adventure of the dying detective was absolutely superb. That story definitely had me hook from the start.

Some of the stories were a little harder to get into than most but I really enjoyed them all either way.
I really can’t wait to read the other 4.
Teresa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Within this small collection are a few stories in which Doyle seems to have been going through his motions (and who could blame him). But as his most famous creation says more than once in this volume, “We must possess our souls in patience”; and that patience is rewarded, as the collection also contains some of Doyle's finest stories, including a couple that break his own mold.
Mariah
I don’t know what I’m more surprised by in this Holmes reread: His great disdain and general dislike for women, the amount of offensive names used for people of color (I know it’s the 19th century, I still don’t have to like it), Watson calling Holmes’ drug addiction as “an occasional indiscretion” or the fact that I missed most of these nuggets when I was 13 and read SH for the first time.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, The Tiger of San Pedro ⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Adventure of the Red Circle ⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Adv
David Sarkies
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another Collection of Holmesian Adventures
28 May 2017

Since I’m trying to finish off this massively huge volume of Sherlock Holmes short stories before I go back to Adelaide (namely because it happens to be my father’s), I thought it was time to make my way through the fourth collection. Unlike the other collections, Watson indicated that this collection is actually a collection of adventures that occurred previously, and aren’t actually a new series, namely because in the previous collection th
Charles  van Buren
Includes the last Holmes adventure

Review of Kindle edition
Publication date: October 12, 2016
Publisher: Wisehouse Classics
Language: English
ASIN: B01M7P3VEM
147 pages

His Last Bow: A Reminiscence of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of 8 Sherlock Holmes stories published in October, 1917. The subtitle of the U.S. Edition was changed to Some Later Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes.

The collection begins with a preface by Watson telling readers that, as of the date of publication, Holmes is long retired
David
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars for the penultimate collection. The title story (as epilogue) is especially bizarre with Holmes and Watson leaving retirement to foil the Germans in 1914.
Stinky Girl
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An other great Sherlock Holmes story. "There's no police like Holmes."
Wanda
I believe that I have now read all of Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories. Plus I have read a lot of fiction that uses his great detective as a character--largely novels. I am truly impressed with Doyle’s skill--he manages to give such detail and delight in the short story format. We come away from his fiction feeling like we know all about Mr. Holmes and like John Watson would be our friend if we ran into him. No wonder people show up at their iconic address in London, as if expecting the fam ...more
Ferdy
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly good collection of Sherlock stories - I probably would have enjoyed them more though if I hadn't been binge reading the series as it made them rather predictable and formulaic.
The last story was different than the others though, which I liked, but it did feel somewhat odd and out of place as it was set much later than the other cases and instead of the usual telegrams and carriages, it was all telephones and cars. I'm hoping the next lot of stories are set later on as well, it would ma
russell barnes
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
So, as I said previously, Not the last Sherlock Holmes book, although chronologically the last as it finishes at the dawn of The Great War. 'Great' as in 'Huge' rather than 'Spiffing'...

Anyhoo...

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are taking a trip across a desert by hot-air balloon. There are not many landmarks; so eventually, they become lost. Luckily, while flying quite low, they see a man.

Holmes shouts, "Sir, could you please tell me where we are?"

The man looks up, ponders for a moment, and then
Cindy
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic novel.
Available free in eBook or Audiobook form:
Librivox.org
Gutenberg.org
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite a remarkable Sherlock collection. I am amazed at how cohesive a whole is formed from these several separate stories, and I can’t remember the last time I had such an enjoyable experience. I strongly disliked this collection at first, and I am still amazed at how drasticallly my opinion changed as the stories were crafted.

The book opens with a preface about how Sherlock retired to the South Downs to keep bees. I don’t know why this book starts out with that image, but I suppose it is partly
Tarissa
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE ADVENTURE OF WISTERIA LODGE:
A bleak tale with ominous clues leading up to the solution -- including a pail of blood. Indeed.

THE ADVENTURE OF THE BRUCE-PARTINGTON PLANS:
One of my favorites! Includes death by train in a particularly peculiar fashion.

THE ADVENTURE OF THE DEVIL'S FOOT:
In which Holmes and Watson willingly replicate the method by which other persons have expired. (Thrilling, no?) Also, we see Holmes' moral philosophy in rare form.

THE ADVENTURE OF THE RED CIRCLE:
A lodger with a sec
DJ
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
His Last Bow is a collection of 7 short stories. It is my seventh Sherlock Holmes book and my fourth of the short story collections, and the shortest by far with 5-6 less stories than the previous 3 collections. Unfortunately, it is also probably my least favourite Sherlock Holmes read. It took me much longer to get through than the others. Some stories I did really enjoy, but there were some that just didn't grab me. The 7 stories are:

- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
- The Adventure of the Bruc
Charlie-Dee
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this set of stories.
Paul
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite of the Holmes short story collections so far. Perhaps that's a sign that Doyle was becoming a sharper writer the more he wrote, or perhaps more judicious in which stories he decided to publish. Or it might just be that he wrote with more of a gothic bent, and I really enjoy gothic lit! Brief reviews:

Wisteria Lodge – 3* – A lengthy, two-part story that breezes by pretty quickly, but which I apparently didn't find particularly memorable because I struggle to recall detail
Lilli Reuss
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Probably more of a 2.5 for me unfortunately. I think you can really tell that Conan Doyle didn’t want to write about Sherlock anymore at this point because most characters just seem very one dimensional in this one. I hate how Watson kind of has this reverse character development and is back to being super arrogant and doubtful of Sherlock’s theories. I did enjoy “The Dying Detective” but all the other stories fell a bit flat for me. Though the last one had a fun sentence in it haha: “But you ha ...more
Ashley
This is the shortest Holmes story collection: only eight stories and a preface written by Watson, explaining that Holmes is now retired to Sussex and keeping bees, and here are some stories he hasn't yet published about their adventures, including their very last one. (All the stories in the last published book, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, apparently take place before "His Last Bow" as well.)

Because of the shortness, you feel it a little bit more when a story is a dud. In particular, I tho
Yibbie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
These stories are among some of the best short detective stories ever written. I find myself going back to them again and again. There is plenty of mystery, but the focus is always on the solution or rather the solving of tragedies and crimes not the gory details of the crimes themselves.
There are several curse words. The "worst" one is in the last story An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes.
Sheila Beaumont
I totally enjoyed this penultimate volume of Sherlock Holmes short stories, not as long as the previous volumes, but just as entertaining. My favorite stories in this book are "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans," "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot," and "His Last Bow." Now I have only one volume to go in my reread of the series.
#AYEARATHON: His Last Bow - Arthur Conan Doyle (SPOILERS) 1 11 Jun 29, 2015 12:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 89 His Last Bow 1 2 Dec 08, 2014 07:38AM
Il Giallo Mondadori: L'ultimo saluto di Sherlock Holmes 2 11 Jul 31, 2014 11:31AM
Catching up on Cl...: His Last Bow #8 *SPOILERS* 2 16 Apr 05, 2014 04:55PM
Reading the Classics: His Last Bow - Oct 17 - Nov 6 9 42 Nov 24, 2013 12:43PM
Goodreads Indonesia: Salam Kenal 4 16 Nov 04, 2011 07:28PM

• Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh #5)
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • And Then There Were None
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin #1)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
  • Patriot's Dream
  • The Giant Rat of Sumatra (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)