Start by marking “His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)” as Want to Read:
His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)

Read Book

His Last Bow

(Sherlock Holmes #8)

'We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'

Sherlock Holmes's fearless chronicler Dr Watson once again opens his notebooks to bring to light eight further tales of some of the strangest and most fascinating cases to come before the enquiring mind of London's most famous detective.

The
Published December 18th 2006 by Headline (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about His Last Bow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Last Bow

Aishu Rehman
His Last Bow collects eight Sherlock Holmes stories that first ran in The Strand Magazine from 1908 to 1913, as well as including the eponymous “His Last Bow”, which ran in 1917. (“The Adventure of the Cardboard Box” is included in American editions of this collection; Brits will find that story in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.) Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson are on the case yet again, with Watson serving as Holmes’ faithful biographer for seven of the eight stories collected here. The Br ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8), Arthur Conan Doyle
Contents: Preface by John H. Watson, M.D. (1917), "The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge" (1908), "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" (1892), "The Adventure of the Red Circle" (1911), "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans" (1908), "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" (1913), "The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax" (1911), "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot" (1910), "His Last Bow. The War Service of Sherlock Holmes" (1917).
عن
K.D. Absolutely
The Sherlock Holmes collection that has the fewest number of short stories: 8. It is even a story-less in its British edition. This is called His Last Bow because it shares that title with its anchor (last) story. Other than that reason, I could not associate any of the other stories with Holmes bowing out as they all have the same ingredients or formula as the earlier Sherlock Holmes literary pieces.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. John Scott Eccles consults Holmes and Watson regarding the deat
Exina
A great collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I've read four stories:

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans - 4 stars

The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax - 4 stars

The Adventure of the Dying Detective - 2 stars

His Last Bow: An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes - 4 stars

RJ
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection is one of the finest and most even entries in the series. Subtitled "Some Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes," the brief preface indicates that Holmes has retired after his war service.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge - 4/5 - someone's past comes back to haunt him! No, really!
The Adventure of the Cardboard Box - 4/5 - what's in the box?
The Adventure of the Red Circle: by Arthur Conan Doyle - 4/5 - insert "circle of trust joke" here
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Pl
James Tivendale
This was pretty enjoyable read consisting of 8 short stories. Although they are arguably not as consitant and entertaining as Adventures of... and Return of... I would say half the stories here are very good. Devil's Foot was one of my favourites which was reminiscent of The Hound of The Baskervilles where Sherlock goes and explores on his own via long walks in strange places and leaves the readers in the dark before the big reveals following the masterful deductions he is famous for.

I like the
Diane
This is the penultimate collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I have spent my summer going through the Sherlock canon, and I am a bit sad to be nearing the end of my time with the great detective. Even though some of the stories are not the best mysteries, they have a certain charm to them that makes them endearing to read.

In this collection, my favorites were "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans," "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," and "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot." The fina
Teresa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Within this small collection are a few stories in which Doyle seems to have been going through his motions (and who could blame him). But as his most famous creation says more than once in this volume, “We must possess our souls in patience”; and that patience is rewarded, as the collection also contains some of Doyle's finest stories, including a couple that break his own mold.
Kylie
Okay so I own 5 Sherlock books and this is the first one I’ve read. WOW I AM SPEECHLESS! I wish I read them sooner.
The adventure of the dying detective was absolutely superb. That story definitely had me hook from the start.

Some of the stories were a little harder to get into than most but I really enjoyed them all either way.
I really can’t wait to read the other 4.
Wanda
I believe that I have now read all of Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories. Plus I have read a lot of fiction that uses his great detective as a character--largely novels. I am truly impressed with Doyle’s skill--he manages to give such detail and delight in the short story format. We come away from his fiction feeling like we know all about Mr. Holmes and like John Watson would be our friend if we ran into him. No wonder people show up at their iconic address in London, as if expecting the fam ...more
Ali
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times when only certain types of books will do, when one is feeling in need of some consoling literary friend. At such times I often reach for Agatha Christie, although another old and comforting literary companion is Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

This fairly slight volume contains eight fascinating Holmes stories, each of them a fairly decent length, utterly perfect to curl up with on a chilly December evening. I adore the character of Holmes, it matches exactly the mood that Doyle cr
Ferdy
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly good collection of Sherlock stories - I probably would have enjoyed them more though if I hadn't been binge reading the series as it made them rather predictable and formulaic.
The last story was different than the others though, which I liked, but it did feel somewhat odd and out of place as it was set much later than the other cases and instead of the usual telegrams and carriages, it was all telephones and cars. I'm hoping the next lot of stories are set later on as well, it would ma
russell barnes
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, classics
So, as I said previously, Not the last Sherlock Holmes book, although chronologically the last as it finishes at the dawn of The Great War. 'Great' as in 'Huge' rather than 'Spiffing'...

Anyhoo...

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are taking a trip across a desert by hot-air balloon. There are not many landmarks; so eventually, they become lost. Luckily, while flying quite low, they see a man.

Holmes shouts, "Sir, could you please tell me where we are?"

The man looks up, ponders for a moment, and then
Dani
His Last Bow is a collection of 7 short stories. It is my seventh Sherlock Holmes book and my fourth of the short story collections, and the shortest by far with 5-6 less stories than the previous 3 collections. Unfortunately, it is also probably my least favourite Sherlock Holmes read. It took me much longer to get through than the others. Some stories I did really enjoy, but there were some that just didn't grab me. The 7 stories are:

- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
- The Adventure of the Bruc
Paul
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite of the Holmes short story collections so far. Perhaps that's a sign that Doyle was becoming a sharper writer the more he wrote, or perhaps more judicious in which stories he decided to publish. Or it might just be that he wrote with more of a gothic bent, and I really enjoy gothic lit! Brief reviews:

Wisteria Lodge – 3* – A lengthy, two-part story that breezes by pretty quickly, but which I apparently didn't find particularly memorable because I struggle to recall detail
Sheila Beaumont
I totally enjoyed this penultimate volume of Sherlock Holmes short stories, not as long as the previous volumes, but just as entertaining. My favorite stories in this book are "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans," "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot," and "His Last Bow." Now I have only one volume to go in my reread of the series.
Charlie-Dee
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this set of stories.
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite a remarkable Sherlock collection. I am amazed at how cohesive a whole is formed from these several separate stories, and I can’t remember the last time I had such an enjoyable experience. I strongly disliked this collection at first, and I am still amazed at how drasticallly my opinion changed as the stories were crafted.

The book opens with a preface about how Sherlock retired to the South Downs to keep bees. I don’t know why this book starts out with that image, but I suppose it is partly
Ashley
This is the shortest Holmes story collection: only eight stories and a preface written by Watson, explaining that Holmes is now retired to Sussex and keeping bees, and here are some stories he hasn't yet published about their adventures, including their very last one. (All the stories in the last published book, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, apparently take place before "His Last Bow" as well.)

Because of the shortness, you feel it a little bit more when a story is a dud. In particular, I tho
Yibbie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
These stories are among some of the best short detective stories ever written. I find myself going back to them again and again. There is plenty of mystery, but the focus is always on the solution or rather the solving of tragedies and crimes not the gory details of the crimes themselves.
There are several curse words. The "worst" one is in the last story An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes.
Tobin Elliott
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As per usual, I enjoyed the hell out of this slim volume. For the most part, even though there are times where you can almost feel Arthur Conan Doyle really reaching for a new, unique challenge for Holmes and Watson, he still manages to pull off entertaining stories every time.
Namratha
I have a newly acquired quirk. As I browse through the detective shelf at my local bookstore and come across the neatly lined up spines of SHERLOCK HOLMES' many many adventures, I must, I absolutely must pluck them out just to view the artwork on the cover.
Blame it on Benedict. Benedict Cumberbatch.
Yes, do.

And so, when I came across a bright orange spine of His Last Bow , I pulled it out and lo!....there were my two favourite BBC men, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, giving me their co
Julie Davis
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually listening to this concurrently with reading the second annotated Sherlock Holmes book. I enjoy reading the stories and copious notes. However, having stumbled upon Derek Jacobi's readings at my library, I simply can't resist listening to the stories first. Jacobi's narration is simply top-notch, with a fascinating interpretation of Holmes that I've never come across before. Holmes has a light touch, almost like Bertie Wooster (almost, but not as nonsensical). I really am enjoying he ...more
Vanessa J.
I don't know if you think so, but, for me, this one was the best in the series, and I'm talking about the collection of short-stories, not the novels. It was also the darkest one. I find it impossible to tell you which one of the stories I loved the most. The Adventure of The Dying Detective kept me in suspense until the end, which was unexpected. And His Last Bow was also amazing. A great "end" to the canon.
Darinda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
A great collection of Sherlock Holmes mysteries. This book contains eight entertaining short stories.

1. The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
6. The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax
7. The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
8. His Last Bow
Charlotte Jones
Again this was a mixed bag but probably some of the most memorable stories for me!
Melany
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
My thoughts on each of the Case
(view spoiler)
Kataklicik
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read via a mix of print and audiobook (YouTube, read by David Clarke).
Bar Reads
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
TV sherlock is way more interesting. These are mid grade detective stories.
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this collection of eight Sherlock Holmes short stories. My favorite was probably the Bruce Partington Papers - a spy story set before the world war. I listened to the audio version narrated by Mike Dolan. Very good narration.
#AYEARATHON: His Last Bow - Arthur Conan Doyle (SPOILERS) 1 10 Jun 29, 2015 12:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 89 His Last Bow 1 2 Dec 08, 2014 07:38AM
Il Giallo Mondadori: L'ultimo saluto di Sherlock Holmes 2 11 Jul 31, 2014 11:31AM
Catching up on Cl...: His Last Bow #8 *SPOILERS* 2 14 Apr 05, 2014 04:55PM
Reading the Classics: His Last Bow - Oct 17 - Nov 6 9 42 Nov 24, 2013 12:43PM
Goodreads Indonesia: Salam Kenal 4 16 Nov 04, 2011 07:28PM

• The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Secret Journals of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #5)
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Poirot's Early Cases: 18 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Hercule Poirot, #41)
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
“Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.” 834 likes
“There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less and a cleaner, better stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.” 58 likes