Start by marking “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

(Sherlock Holmes #3)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  232,795 ratings  ·  6,449 reviews
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is the series of short stories that made the fortunes of the Strand magazine, in which they were first published, and won immense popularity for Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. The detective is at the height of his powers and the volume is full of famous cases, including 'The Red-Headed League', 'The Blue Carbuncle', and 'The Speckled Band' ...more
Published October 22nd 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published October 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.
Tom Owens The Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you sta…moreThe Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you started from here you wouldn't miss anything at all. Enjoy!(less)

·  232,795 ratings  ·  6,449 reviews

Start your review of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: It finds an ideal medium in chapter-length tales: a rare short story collection with no misses, only hits and better hits.
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nothing compares to the original. If you really want to know Holmes and Watson, this is what you read. The characterization and pacing is, for me, delightful. The insights into a London of trains and mail more than once a day, the manners of the time, the dialogue . . . this is a feast.

Very honestly speaking, none of the movie or television adaptations have ever given me the sensation of 'being there' at Baker Street, with Holmes and Watson, that I get from the original stories.

Read them. You ow
Trevor
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, literature
I’ve been listening to Sherlock Holmes stories in the car and think I’m going to go through and listen to all of them now. I’ve started with The Adventures and have enjoyed it immensely.

There must have been any number of psychological studies performed on Mr Holmes. There is, of course, that wonderful line by Borges in his lectures on Verse in which he says that he believes in the Character of Sherlock Holmes without actually believing in any of the stories in which that character appears. That
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3), Arthur Conan Doyle
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. It was first published on 14 October 1892; the individual stories had been serialised in The Strand Magazine between July 1891 and June 1892. The stories are not in chronological order, and the only characters common to all twelve are Holmes and Dr. Watson. The stories are re
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, published in 1892, and available for free online reading or downloading here on Project Gutenberg (or many other places), is a collection of twelve Sherlock Holmes short stories. Doyle's formula for his Sherlock stories gets a little bit worn and visible after you read several of them back to back. But there are some jewels in this collection, and they all have something to offer the interested reader, even if it's only an insight into Sherlock's or Dr. Watson'
Adrian
June 2020
So this is a Group read for "English Mysteries", where we shall be reading all of the Conan Doyle Holmes short stories and Novels over the next 18 months finishing on Dartmoor for Christmas 2021.

Interestingly, I have to say my version now has 12 short stories compared to the 10 in 2018. I can only guess that different editions (and I have many) for different countries have different sets of stories.
For this re-read there will be 12, 12 is the number of stories, there shall be !!

February
Fabian {Councillor}
As a rule, the more bizarre a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be. It is your commonplace, featureless crimes which are really puzzling, just as a commonplace face is the most difficult to identify.

Who doesn't know Sherlock Holmes these days? Even if not everyone might be familiar with the original version invented by Arthur Conan Doyle, Mr. Holmes has become such a legend in his own right, a development fed and supported by numerous stage, screen and radio adaptions, that
Namratha
To have a slight measure of the pleasant chills that race up and down your spine when you delve into a meaty Holmes mystery, do read the introduction passage by Mark Gatiss (co-creator of BBC Entertainment’s Sherlock). Amidst a host of admirable emotions, Gatiss’ one nostalgic paragraph captured my fancy.

It goes thusly,
“I’d never read any of the original stories until one fateful Saturday when, recovering from German measles, I was given a treat : a trip to WH Smith, and the purchase o
Luís C.
Read for the second time

In sixty investigations, narrated by Dr. Watson, his eminent memorialist, Sherlock Holmes gave only twenty-five guilty to justice.
Nine others had escaped the just punishment that awaited them after the riddle's resolution of the enigma.
Eleven investigations had the result only of revealing a supposed crime or a pure fantasy having no relation of gravity with that supposed.
At the end of the remaining fifteen investigations, Sherlock Holmes, substituting himself for justice
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After “reading” lengthy audiobooks like Vanity Fair I just wanted to read/listen-to something short. Then I saw the movie The Imitation Game (highly recommended) and I thought “Of course! Sherlock!”

I suspect reviewing an anthology by listing all the stories and commenting on each of them is probably inelegant and amateurish, but I never said I was a pro. So the game is afoot! Let the jollification begin:

A Scandal in Bohemia - Irene Adler is not Holmes' girlfriend OK? Stop shipping "Sherene" al
Paul Bryant
Sherlock Holmes is one of the great characters of literature - who can resist the aloof arrogance and limitless self-satisfaction which stems from that intellectual superiority with which he squishes all the dodgy baronets and rum foreign coves that turn up in the mysteries presented to him by the clients who never fail, when recounting their tangled tales, to speak in perfect paragraphs full of precisely recollected speech in a style exactly like a Conan Doyle story? I love the love story betwe ...more
Stephanie Anze
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

Sherlock Holmes is a detective consulted upon by royalty and commoners alike. Where crime is concerned, Sherlock Holmes is the key. Relying on minute information Mr. Holmes is able to solve cases that Scotland Yard cannot. Wether a murder or a disapperance, a grand mansion or the streets of London Mr. Holmes is on the case. With his trusted partner and friend Dr. John Watson by his side, Mr. Holmes takes crime by storm.

My interest for Britis
Teresa
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been fun zipping through one of these stories each night for the past twelve nights. I’ve felt rather clever after guessing correctly on a few of the outcomes, even without counting “The Speckled Band," a story I remember well from grammar school. I’m not sure why I remember it after such a long time, except for it being one of several short-stories we read that year that opened up a new world for me--thanks to a favorite English teacher. (Other stories I remember from then were by Guy de M ...more
Bionic Jean
Here are my reviews of individual stories:

Link to review of the first story, A Scandal in Bohemia

Link to review of the second story, The Red-Headed League

Link to another one, The Adventure of the Speckled Band
Jan-Maat
Fun. The crimes in this book are more along the lines of puzzles to work out rather than realistic depictions of crime in late Victorian- early Edwardian England. Contrived, but enjoyable.

My favourite moment, I am not positive it is in this collection, is when Holmes and Watson are on a train steaming through the countryside and Watson makes an observation about the peaceful looking pretty cottages for which Holmes rebukes him 'no one knows what dark crimes are committed behind those doors' - re
James
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle at his finest.

If you've read and enjoyed any books in the Sherlock Holmes series - then read them all, they are all consistently great. Sherlock Holmes must be one of the greatest literary characters ever created and the stories are so very well written.

Intriguing, compelling, intelligent, exciting, page-turning fun of the highest order.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I bought this at a library sale essentially on the principle of 'well, I should read it' and was not expecting to enjoy these so much. At all. Very very glad I picked this up.

review to come!!
russell barnes
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
It's the end of the world and Watson and Holmes, on the cusp of having their brilliant lives snuffed out by the impending doom decide their simmering sexual tension can go no further.
As they remove their clothes, Watson turns around to see Holmes brandishing a tub of Lemon Curd.
"Holmes!" Watson exclaims, "I know what we're about to do goes against God's nature, but what in the name of all that is Holy are you doing with that breakfast condiment?"
To which Holmes replied, "Lemon entry my dear Wats
☆ SANA ☆
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes is the best. The best fictional detective ever created. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has written 56 stories and 4 novels which are compiled in 9 books. From those 9 books, the best cases are in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. They are really the best. It contains most of the best cases of Sherlock Holmes. I loved it. And for beginners who is are thinking to try Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend you to start with this then move to the The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes to The Return of ...more
Aishu Rehman
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twelve short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring his fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. It was first published on 14 October 1892. Follow the brilliant Sherlock Holmes and his devoted assistant, Dr. Watson — as they investigate a dozen of their best-known cases. Featured stories in this collection include several of the author's personal favorites: "A Scandal in Bohemia" — in which a king is blackmailed by a former lover and Holmes matc ...more
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was the first collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories that I read! I was quite surprised by how short each of the mysteries were, and how fast they flew by. But I did enjoy them. I loved seeing the deduction at work, and it was iconic finally reading about the duo. From the speech I could easily tell that the BBC casting for the series had been done so well. I felt like the endings were a bit too abrupt at times, and sometimes the stories felt quite short. I did like what characterisati ...more
Kelly
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Sherlock Holmes or mystery fans
So, I volunteer at a library, in what the librarians call the "Popular Library," which consists of the area with the DVDs, music CDs and of course, the audiobooks. The majority of the titles in the audiobook section are romance novels. It struck me as a hilarious idea, and indeed, each of the audiobooks I've stuck in the CD player they have there to listen to for a few minutes has borne that out. Romance novel dialogue is barely okay on the page- can you imagine all that "Oh, FABIO, your gorgeou ...more
Piyangie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story collection on the adventures on Sherlock Holmes set the famous fictitious detective at his best and Mr. Doyle himself at his best as well, save except in the Hound of the Baskerville. All twelve short stories in this collection are well written and varied between 3 stars to 5 stars in my opinion on them.

A Scandal in Bohemia **** - I really liked it. It was one instance that famous detective was outwitted, and that too by a woman!

The Red-headed League *** - This was a clever mys
Obsidian
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kyd-booklikes
This collection of short stories by Barnes and Noble was worth the price. I loved the sparkly cover (the lettering is in silver) and there are also illustrations included. The pages are nicely edged as well and it comes with it's own personal bookmark. That said, I enjoyed all of the stories, though two of them were five stars in my opinion.

"A Scandal in Bohemia" (3 stars)-This apparently was the first short story featuring Holmes, but the third story featuring Holmes. We find Watson happily mar
Saadia B. || Hustle, Bustle and Hurdles
Sherlock Holmes have always been my favourite. Love how he solves mysteries using deductive reasoning.
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 edition)
A Scandal in Bohemia (3 stars) Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, King of Bohemia is arranged to marry the daughter of the King of Scandinavia but he loves another girl. Irene Alder. Entertaining. Fast-paced. I love the disguises!

The Red-Headed League (3 stars) Mr. Jabez Wilson has an apprentice in his pawnshop whose name is Mr. Vincent Spaulding. One day, Spaulding recruits his boss to the association of people with red hair to copy encyclopedia, Very funny storyline. I love the twist!

A
Melora
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few Sherlock Holmes stories before, more than half of these, probably, at one time or another, but this collection of twelve, taken all at one go (really over three days, but you know what I mean), gives a different impression than the stories do when taken individually. The thing that most impressed me, and which I likely noticed because Zach Dundas pointed it out in The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes, which I just read, is how nice Sher ...more
Chris_P
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor: ***
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet: ****
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches: ****

3.58

I have to make clear that the ratings only represent how I personally felt reading ea
Anna Maria
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago and as it was recommended to me I wanted to read it again, I liked it very much and I like how Sherlock always repeats: "you see, but you do not observe"; infact most of the time it's what happens to many people.
Arthur Conan Doyle used to say: "The love of books is among the choicest gifts of the gods", it is absolutely true. If you are in company with a good book you are never alone and I am always with a book!!

• A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Sign of Four
  • The Adventure of the Red-Headed League
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages, #11)
  • Treasure Island
  • The Adventure of the Speckled Band
  • And Then There Were None
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Articles featuring this book

Billy Jensen is an investigative journalist who focuses squarely on unsolved murders and missing persons. He helped finish Michelle McNa...
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.” 654 likes
“Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting.” 495 likes