Start by marking “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #3)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  202,966 Ratings  ·  5,443 Reviews
'It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'

Sherlock Holmes, scourge of criminals everywhere, whether they be lurking in London's foggy backstreets or plotting behind the walls of an idyllic country mansion, and his faithful colleague Dr Watson solve twelve breathtaking and perplexing myst
Published October 22nd 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published October 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.
Tom Owens The Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you…moreThe Novellas (Study of Scarlet and Sign of Four) are mentioned in passing by Watson/Holmes as being "previous cases" but no more than that. If you started from here you wouldn't miss anything at all. Enjoy!(less)

Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: It finds an ideal medium in chapter-length tales: a rare short story collection with no misses, only hits and better hits.
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nothing compares to the original. If you really want to know Holmes and Watson, this is what you read. The characterization and pacing is, for me, delightful. The insights into a London of trains and mail more than once a day, the manners of the time, the dialogue . . . this is a feast.

Very honestly speaking, none of the movie or television adaptations have ever given me the sensation of 'being there' at Baker Street, with Holmes and Watson, that I get from the original stories.

Read them. You ow
Trevor
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, mystery
I’ve been listening to Sherlock Holmes stories in the car and think I’m going to go through and listen to all of them now. I’ve started with The Adventures and have enjoyed it immensely.

There must have been any number of psychological studies performed on Mr Holmes. There is, of course, that wonderful line by Borges in his lectures on Verse in which he says that he believes in the Character of Sherlock Holmes without actually believing in any of the stories in which that character appears. That
Councillor
As a rule, the more bizarre a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be. It is your commonplace, featureless crimes which are really puzzling, just as a commonplace face is the most difficult to identify.

Who doesn't know Sherlock Holmes these days? Even if not everyone might be familiar with the original version invented by Arthur Conan Doyle, Mr. Holmes has become such a legend in his own right, a development fed and supported by numerous stage, screen and radio adaptions, that it is ne
Namratha
To have a slight measure of the pleasant chills that race up and down your spine when you delve into a meaty Holmes mystery, do read the introduction passage by Mark Gatiss (co-creator of BBC Entertainment’s Sherlock). Amidst a host of admirable emotions, Gatiss’ one nostalgic paragraph captured my fancy.

It goes thusly,
“I’d never read any of the original stories until one fateful Saturday when, recovering from German measles, I was given a treat : a trip to WH Smith, and the purchase of any
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.75 stars, rounding up because Sherlock+classics!

description

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, published in 1892, and available for free online reading or downloading here on Project Gutenberg (or many other places), is a collection of twelve Sherlock Holmes short stories. Doyle's formula for his Sherlock stories gets a little bit worn and visible after you read several of them back to back. But there are some jewels in this collection, and they all have something to offer the interested reader, even if i
Luís C.
Read for the second time

In sixty investigations, narrated by Dr. Watson, his eminent memorialist, Sherlock Holmes gave only twenty-five guilty to justice.
Nine others had escaped the just punishment that awaited them after the riddle's resolution of the enigma.
Eleven investigations had the result only of revealing a supposed crime or a pure fantasy having no relation of gravity with that supposed.
At the end of the remaining fifteen investigations, Sherlock Holmes, substituting himself for justice
Adrian
This was a re-read , (I'm guessing for the 4th or 5th time ) and it was as fabulous as ever.

It comprises 10 short stories :-
A scandal in Bohemia --
A case of identity --
The Boscombe Valley mystery --
The five orange pips --
The adventure of the blue carbuncle --
The adventure of the speckled band
The adventure of the engineer's thumb
The adventure of the noble bachelor
The adventure of the beryl coronet
The adventure of the copper beeches

These stories are all well written, with wonderful c
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After “reading” lengthy audiobooks like Vanity Fair I just wanted to read/listen-to something short. Then I saw the movie The Imitation Game (highly recommended) and I thought “Of course! Sherlock!”

I suspect reviewing an anthology by listing all the stories and commenting on each of them is probably inelegant and amateurish, but I never said I was a pro. So the game is afoot! Let the jollification begin:

A Scandal in Bohemia - Irene Adler is not Holmes' girlfriend OK? Stop shipping "Sherene" al
Jan-Maat
Fun. The crimes in this book are more along the lines of puzzles to work out rather than realistic depictions of crime in late Victorian- early Edwardian England. Contrived, but enjoyable.

My favourite moment, I am not positive it is in this collection, is when Holmes and Watson are on a train steaming through the countryside and Watson makes an observation about the peaceful looking pretty cottages for which Holmes rebukes him 'no one knows what dark crimes are committed behind those doors' - re
Paul Bryant
Sherlock Holmes is one of the great characters of literature - who can resist the aloof arrogance and limitless self-satisfaction which stems from that intellectual superiority with which he squishes all the dodgy baronets and rum foreign coves that turn up in the mysteries presented to him by the clients who never fail, when recounting their tangled tales, to speak in perfect paragraphs full of precisely recollected speech in a style exactly like a Conan Doyle story? I love the love story betwe ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3), Arthur Conan Doyle
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سوم اکتبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: شرلوک هولمز؛ نویسنده: آرتور کانن دویل؛ مترجم: محمد قصاع؛ تهران؛ شهر قلم؛ 1394؛ در 112 ص؛
russell barnes
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
It's the end of the world and Watson and Holmes, on the cusp of having their brilliant lives snuffed out by the impending doom decide their simmering sexual tension can go no further.
As they remove their clothes, Watson turns around to see Holmes brandishing a tub of Lemon Curd.
"Holmes!" Watson exclaims, "I know what we're about to do goes against God's nature, but what in the name of all that is Holy are you doing with that breakfast condiment?"
To which Holmes replied, "Lemon entry my dear Wats
James
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle at his finest.

If you've read and enjoyed any books in the Sherlock Holmes series - then read them all, they are all consistently great. Sherlock Holmes must be one of the greatest literary characters ever created and the stories are so very well written.

Intriguing, compelling, intelligent, exciting, page-turning fun of the highest order.
Julieta
• La aventura de la corona de esmeraldas verdemar 3/5⭐
• La aventura de Copper Beeches 4/5⭐
Teresa
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been fun zipping through one of these stories each night for the past twelve nights. I’ve even felt rather clever after guessing correctly on a few of the outcomes—even without counting “The Speckled Band”, a story I remember very well from grammar school. I’m not sure why I remember it after such a long time, except for it being one of several short stories we read that year that opened up a new world for me, thanks to a favorite English teacher. (Other stories I remember from then were by ...more
Huda Aweys
Sherlock Holmes ...
What a day :)
*****
حزينة جدا على أفول نجم (شيرلوك) في أواخر ايام السير آرثر كونان دويل .. ماكانش يعرف ان دي البداية
Bionic Jean
Here are my reviews of individual stories:

Link to review of the first story, A Scandal in Bohemia

Link to another one, The Adventure of the Speckled Band

Meltem K.
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"...when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..."
Pau
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Los relatos de Sherlock Holmes siempre son una lectura segura a la que recurrir. Y es que da igual que todos sigan el mismo patrón y ya esté muy familiarizada con los métodos deductivos de Sherlock, siempre me reconforta leerlos.

Ya hablé en otras reseñas de Arthur Conan Doyle de lo que me gusta el personaje de Sherlock. Es impresionante cómo a través de Watson descubrimos a este genio, que a veces me inspira asombro y otras veces me parece el mejor personaje cómico que haya existido. Y ademá
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 edition)
A Scandal in Bohemia (3 stars) Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, King of Bohemia is arranged to marry the daughter of the King of Scandinavia but he loves another girl. Irene Alder. Entertaining. Fast-paced. I love the disguises!

The Red-Headed League (3 stars) Mr. Jabez Wilson has an apprentice in his pawnshop whose name is Mr. Vincent Spaulding. One day, Spaulding recruits his boss to the association of people with red hair to copy encyclopedia, Very funny storyline. I love the twist!

A
Piyangie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story collection on the adventures on Sherlock Holmes set the famous fictitious detective at his best and Mr. Doyle himself at his best as well, save except in the Hound of the Baskerville. All twelve short stories in this collection are well written and varied between 3 stars to 5 stars in my opinion on them.

A Scandal in Bohemia **** - I really liked it. It was one instance that famous detective was outwitted, and that too by a woman!

The Red-headed League *** - This was a clever mys
Kelly
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Sherlock Holmes or mystery fans
So, I volunteer at a library, in what the librarians call the "Popular Library," which consists of the area with the DVDs, music CDs and of course, the audiobooks. The majority of the titles in the audiobook section are romance novels. It struck me as a hilarious idea, and indeed, each of the audiobooks I've stuck in the CD player they have there to listen to for a few minutes has borne that out. Romance novel dialogue is barely okay on the page- can you imagine all that "Oh, FABIO, your gorgeou ...more
Irene△⃒⃘
3.5/5 ~ The edition that I own is a collection of stories taken from both this book and another one! This book was a fun mysteries read, coolest part was definitely seeing Sherlock’s mind in action 👌🏻
Sonia
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como siempre, la agudeza y el ingenio de Holmes hacen que cada aventura parezca compleja al principio y que transcurra con muchas rapidez, además de resultar simple y menos dramática al final. Mi admiración no hace más que crecer por el simple hecho de que a fin de cuentas todo se reduzca a la explicación más elemental.
Chris_P
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor: ***
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet: ****
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches: ****

3.58

I have to make clear that the ratings only represent how I personally felt reading ea
Lau
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lau by: Papá
Shelves: favorites
Me declaro fanática absoluta de Sherlock Holmes... creo que es la mejor opinión que puedo dar.
Antonella
"Tan acostumbrado estaba yo a sus invariables éxitos que ni se me pasaba por la cabeza la posibilidad de que fracasara"

Me gustaron algunas más que otras, pero lo que más me llamó la atención a leer cada historia fue el carácter de Sherlock, que al ser misterios cortos y que por ahí no generaban problemas para resolver, su personalidad e inteligencia es lo que más destaca.

Escándalo en Bohemia 5/5

"Para como un carácter como el suyo, una emoción fuerte resultaba tan perturbadora como la presen
Wanda
If you are an enthusiastic reader of crime/noir/mystery novels, at some point you should get back to its roots—by reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Sir Arthur set many of the patterns which can still be observed in the modern genre novel.

Sherlock Holmes is an eccentric expert—but he defines the crime expert, what with his monographs on cigar ash, his studies of foot prints, and his encyclopedic knowledge of the history of crime. Many of the heroes of today’s literature are forensic anth
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • Three Blind Mice and Other Stories
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin #1)
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Grimm's Fairy Stories
  • Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories
  • The Purloined Letter
  • King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re
More about Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Sign of Four
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear
  • His Last Bow
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
“Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting.” 477 likes
“Never trust to general impressions, my boy, but concentrate yourself upon details.” 198 likes