Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 17: 4/19 - 4/26

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nadine in NY (last edited Apr 26, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7255 comments Mod
I can NOT believe it's Thursday again!! I took a few vacation days this week because my kids are off from school, and we have finally started getting Spring-like weather, and somehow those two things have combined to create some sort of time warp for me, and it feels like we JUST had a check-in, like, yesterday!!

Admin stuff:
I've got nothing! Because I had no idea that it was Thursday again, so I did not prepare!! Luckily for me, I don't think there's really anything to announce this week. I hope.

This week I finished five books, two of them graphic novels. Two of the books fulfilled Challenge categories, and I am now 35/50.

Books I finished:

Force of Nature by Jane Harper - this was okay, not as good as her first book, The Dry. But it had twins in it! So I checked off that category.

Bolivar by Sean Rubin - absolutely wonderful tween graphic novel / picture book about the last living dinosaur, living in Manhattan; recommended by someone in this group (poshpenny?). The art was fantastic!

Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain graphic novel written by Chelsea Cain - I LOVED this graphic novel. Sadly, it was only a ten issue run before Marvel cancelled. This volume was the first five issues.

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James - this was okay, not as good as I expected. I'm using this for "ghost story" in AtY.

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens - Hitchens' last book, written as he was dying from esophageal cancer. This was my "about death or grief" book.

Question of the Week:

Do you follow any authors on social media?

I do, and my favorite author to follow is not always my favorite author to read. It's a bit difficult for me to find an author I enjoy who is also active on social media and posts interesting things (so many authors just promote their books and book tours, which is fine, but not always interesting). On Facebook I follow Jill Shalvis. I used to follow more, but I guess FB algorithms started filtering out their posts or something, I don't know, I've found myself less and less interested in FB these days.

On Twitter, I follow Jill Shalvis, Cherie Priest, J.K. Rowling, Catherynne M. Valente, Bryn Greenwood, and Elizabeth Bear. One time, Cat Valente even replied to one of my comments! My brush with fame!!!

I think Shalvis might be my favorite follow, because she posts so many funny stories about her dogs. I'm always down for a dog story!!!

message 2: by Tania (new)

Tania | 606 comments Happy Thursday!

I finished a few books this week, some for the challenge, so I'm up to 30/50

Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01 (Gunnm #1) by Yukito Kishiro - this was my cyberpunk book, it's a comic translated from Japanese, it was ok

Secret Sister by Emelle Gamble - I found that I really loved this book, which I used for the alliteration prompt (though it can also be a book about death/grief)

A Million Ways to Die in the West by Seth MacFarlane - I did not like this book, in fact it's at the very bottom of my list for the year (I have not seen the movie, and it seems like I won't now)

QOTW: I follow a few authors on social media, like Janet Evanovich, Maria V Snyder, and Marissa Meyer

message 3: by El (last edited Apr 26, 2018 04:23AM) (new)

El | 197 comments I finished 5 short books this week. 4 of them for the challenge.
28/50

FINISHED:
The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick for cyberpunk. Thanks for recommending this book, Nadine. I was really dreading this prompt. But since it was a short read, I was able to complete it.

My Story by Kamala Suraiyya Das for local author prompt.

The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov for book with a fruit or vegetable in the title.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky for book set in the decade you were born.

Potpourri by Ruskin Bond (not for any prompt)

CURRENTLY READING
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

QOTW
I dont' follow any authors on social media.

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 121 comments Hello from Brisbane Australia. This is a three week check in for me as I have been on holidays. Although I was on holidays, it was a fairly active one so I didn’t get to read as much as I would have liked. I did get to knock over a few large (and daunting) books of my challenge.

The Bright Hour: A Memoir of Living and Dying (a book about death or grief). This was a really difficult book for me as I have friends with terminal cancer. It was quite emotional but was a really good story.

The Museum of Modern Love (a book I meant to read last year) I enjoyed this book. It took me a bit to get into it but once I did I got wrapped up in the story. If you are going to read it though I would google the performance art mentioned in the novel so you get a bit of an understanding of the book.

Dragonkeeper (from 2017 challenge – a book with a mythical creature). It was a cute YA fiction so it was fairly light. It was just what I needed with the heavier books I was reading.

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (A book with an alliteration). I didn’t enjoy this anywhere as much as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies so I was a bit disappointed.

The Golem and the Jinni (recommended by someone else taking the challenge). Someone in this forum recommended this one. I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to others.

Fromelles and Pozières: In The Trenches Of Hell (a book read by a stranger in a public place) This was a massive book and was a heavy read. It was ANZAC Day (our war memorial day) here yesterday so the timing of this book was good and gave me a better idea about a battle I didn’t know much about.

Gone with the Wind (a book about a movie I have already seen). I thought this was amazing. It was a massive read but I really enjoyed it and felt it was worth spending the time to read it.

Noose True stories of Australians who died at the gallows (True crime). This was ok. There were some interesting facts but it wasn’t something I would recommend to others.

The Cambodian Book of the Dead (a book set in a country that fascinates you). This book was ok but was not something I would rave about.

Currently reading:
Plum Spooky (Book with a fruit in the title)
The Zigzag Way (a book set around Halloween)

QOTW: I don't follow any authors on social media.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Hi it’s been sunny and warm and beautiful here in Nova Scotia! We had our first real nice day and I celebrated by getting a sunburn lol I also just started working again (substitute teacher so it’s very flexible ) for the first time (other than a brief part time job in the fall) since pregnant with my 3.5 year old. Anxiety galore!

No book finishes because I just finished a batch last week and started a bunch of new ones. Right now I’m reading Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes (sequel to You), Gone Girl, Run, Hide, Repeat by Pauline Dakin and finishing up Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. I’d have been finished Smoke ages ago but my online book club does weekly check ins and I don’t like to get ahead.

QOTW: I am not overly active in Twitter but I do follow JK Rowling, Margaret Atwood, Jenny Lawson for starters plus several celebs/comics whose books I’ve read (like Amy Poehler and Jim Gaffigan)

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rainbow (erainbow) | 25 comments I've been doing a lot of off challenge reading lately. This week I finished 3 books:

#21 - Book with my fave color in the title - Purple Hibiscus - I enjoyed this YA novel about a young girl growing up in Nigeria. This is the second book I've read this year that is told from the perspective of females growing up and living in Nigeria during their years of political unrest in the 1990s. I enjoyed it.

The Age of Miracles -- not for the challenge. Kind of depressing, but I still enjoyed it.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Also not for the challenge - this was a really engaging, beachy type read.

Progress:
28/40 challenge
4/10 advanced prompts
46 books reads for the year overall

Currently Reading:

The Summer of Jordi Perez

Fangirl

Just trying to preview some things for my class library. Not for the challenge. Hoping to tackle at least one challenge book in the week to come!

QOTW:
I don't follow authors but I follow a lot of book clubs/avid readers/fellow English teachers for book ideas.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Hey all. West of Scotland weather update - four seasons in one day. Pretty standard for this time of year!

This week I finished, as usual, one book. That takes me to 15/50 so far. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Though it is the Dewey Readathon on Saturday so who knows, maybe the kids will learn to fend for themselves (even the baby), and mummy can indulge. I can dream, right?

This week it was American Psycho for prompt #9 villain or antihero...and I was disappointed. What the fuck is wrong with Bret Easton Ellis? That's all I could think of the whole way through this book, because the violence is beyond anything I've ever read before. I don't think I'll ever recover from the rat scene. And whilst I understand the need for graphic scenes to push the novel forward and to make a statement about the yuppie generation...for the love of god, who thinks that sort of shit up?! I read the book in the hopes of understanding the film a bit better. I'm not sure I achieved that aim, though I do have a couple of interpretations. But I found the book quite dull in places, and although I don't always have to like a book's characters I find it hard to feel drawn in when there is not one redeemable feature in a cast of hundreds. I wanted to like this book, as the dark humour of the film was right up my street, but a lot of the time it just felt like an excuse for a misogynist to hide behind a story to air his vile fantasies. And I know authors are not their characters, and in many cases are the pole opposite. But like I said, who thinks that sort of shit up, least of all puts it out there into the world? I feel bad for having some of his other novels on my shelves now.

Urgh, rant over. I'm currently reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which is a nice salve after that. I'm also listening to the audiobook of Call Me by Your Name as I walk. I'm reserving judgement on that just yet.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about social media. I dip into it to check up on my closest friends, but that's about the extent of it. I think I have Margaret Atwood and Muriel Spark's FB pages on my feed, but that's a throwback to days I was more into using it.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Tara wrote: "Hi it’s been sunny and warm and beautiful here in Nova Scotia! We had our first real nice day and I celebrated by getting a sunburn lol I also just started working again (substitute teacher so it’s..."

Haha, this is my standard response to the sun coming out too. After that I remember to slap on the Factor 50.

I hope going back to work is more liberating than terrifying! I just went back last week from maternity leave, so I feel your anxiety.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 542 comments I only finished one book and made progress on another.

Finished A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy. This was a very interesting read (I listened to her read it on audio). Coincidentally it was the anniversary for Columbine last week too. Using it for true crime.

I'm listening and reading Into the Water. This will be my ugly cover book. I have no commute to work today since I'm working from home so I'll probably finish tomorrow or maybe while I wait for my dog to get groomed I can finish it up. I'm curious to see how it wraps up.

12 Regular, 1 Advanced, 4 For Fun. Still behind but now that my work busy season is over (taxes ugh) I should be able to get back into the swing of reading. Its been a slow four months of reading for me, sadly.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Happy Thursday! 29 of 50 down. Four this week! I’ve worked through several that haven’t been appealing to me, including this week’s celebrity book. Now, I’m absolutely dreading cyberpunk and the award winner. I read so much that the books I want to read have been completed and I’m down to a lot of junk.

Completed:
#36 -- 84, Charing Cross Roadby Helene Hanff was a quick, delightful read that I used from my book from the decade of my birth. It spans the 1940s through the 1970s for those still looking for a book to cover their decade!

#2 Hitman: The Untold Story of Johnny Martorano: Whitey Bulger's Enforcer and the Most Feared Gangster in the Underworld by Howie Carr. I originally picked this for #12, but Whitey who was reputed to be of that mindset was not prevalent enough. Martorano was oddly a Mr. Mom in addition to being a hitman. Great read if you need a true crime

#32 – celebrity book club. Just because some ‘celebrity’ liked it, does not mean it is any good. This book truly proved that! Marlena by Julie Buntin proves that point! Do you like books about idiotic teens bent on self-destruction? Drugs, alcohol, skipping school, the wrong crowd. Told through flashbacks by an older, but no wise spiraling alcoholic Cat. I spent the adult section rooting for her husband to leave her. –Blech……

#25 Book set at sea Chorus Lines, Caviar, and Corpses by Mary McHugh – it really isn’t very good, but after that Marlena nightmare I need a palate cleanser big time!

Currently reading:
For fun – Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo. It’s another Amish suspense.

This afternoon, I'm picking up a book for another challenge to start as well.

QOTW - Follow on Social Media
Nope!

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments It's been so long since I updated, I'm not sure where I left off. So far I am 24/52 for the overall challenge, and that includes all 10 for the advanced challenge!

Finished most recently:
The Distance Between Us (Author of a different ethnicity) because it was our local One Book/One Michiana group read set up by my local library.
Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake (Set in the decade you were born)
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (bestseller from the year I graduated high school (1988))
The Little Prince (Allegory)
You (set in a bookstore)
Pines (recommended by someone else taking the popsugar reading challenge) (thanks Sara!)
Green Lantern: Rebirth (favorite color in title)
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis (problem facing society today)

QOTW

The only author I really follow is Tasha Alexander, but not because she's an author. She happened to be my college girlfriend's roommate, so I know her personally.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I've still not finished any books this week. The Historian is so dense and detailed that I'm struggling with it a bit despite really enjoying the story. I thought I might help my reading along by downloading the audiobook. BIG MISTAKE!

I downloaded the only audiobook available on Audible in the UK which I didn't realise was abridged and this version of the story is awful! It goes in the complete opposite direction by omitting about 2/3rds of each chapter. Whilst the paperback is too detailed this is just not enough detail to coherently follow the plot. It skips things like character introductions and important parts of dialogue. I'm so annoyed to have wasted a credit on something so shoddy. I've never listened to an abridged audiobook before. Are they all like this? If so, what is the point of them?

QOTW

I tend to not follow many people I don't know on social media. I have an twitter account but I barely use it. Patrick Rothfuss always makes me laugh in his reviews on Goodreads so maybe I should follow him on more platforms. The again, if I was following him it would be to tempting to nag him about when his next book will be out!

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1363 comments The British summer happened at the weekend so I spent most my time doing outdoor things rather than reading. On Sunday we walked over 10 miles along the coast, the pup was zonked the next day. We've also started a wild flower "meadow" in our front garden, so I'm looking forward to seeing more colour out there (the spring bulbs are pretty much over).

I finished The Charmed Life of Alex Moore which was a bit of a mixed bag, it's fun enough if you can get past the start. This was a review book and doesn't fit any prompts.

I'm still reading Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, the parts about evolution definitely need my full attention but I love the octopus anecdotes which are interspersed with the more sciency bits. I might use this for microhistory or a book set at sea (and a book about nature for Read Harder).

I'm also reading Binti as I didn't want to start anything I couldn't finish before readathon this weekend.

QOTW:
I follow lots of authors (on Twitter) who I've met at events or their mutuals. I won't automatically follow someone if I like their book though, it's more about interactions. There's plenty I follow whose books I have never read, because they are interesting, lovely or funny people (or in may cases all of the above).

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1363 comments Jess wrote: "I've still not finished any books this week. The Historian is so dense and detailed that I'm struggling with it a bit despite really enjoying the story. I thought I might help my readi..."

Audible will let you return an audiobook and I think a terrible abridged version is a valid reason! Plus, as it's Amazon owned they probably don't care as long as you don't do it too often.

message 15: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 994 comments Looking forward to a beautiful day in NYC today. I have to spend it at work, but at least I have huge 16th floor windows at the office.

Completed:
Little Fires Everywhere for Goodreads Choice Award winner for both this challenge and ATY. I liked it more than I thought I would, I was not crazy about her previous book.

Annihilation for ATY book about science or science fiction. Interesting book with very little dialogue and interaction. Still kept my attention. Makes me curious about the movie.

Currently Reading:
The Woman in the Window for a book published in 2018. I am about halfway done and it's very engrossing.

Listening to You Don't Have to Say You Love Me on audiobook for a book with song lyrics in the title.

QOTW:
I am also not a fan of social media. I only check on Instagram occasionally to see family/friend photos.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 735 comments Jess wrote: "I've still not finished any books this week. The Historian is so dense and detailed that I'm struggling with it a bit despite really enjoying the story. I thought I might help my readi..."

You can return Audible audiobooks if you don't like them! I do this all the time and they're great about giving the credit right back to you. There are some limits to how many you can return, but they're pretty generous. Here are the instructions: How do I return or exchange my book?

message 17: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 428 comments Hello,

It's finally spring in here. We were able to used our bicycles last week-end.

Didn't read a lot last week since it's birthday week. My youngest son turned 6 yesterday and it was my husband birthday the day before and my dad's tomorrow. I am a bit busy, but I like it.

I finished only one book last week Persuasion and I will not use it for the challenge. I read it again because so many of you mentionned it in last QOTW. I liked it the first time and even more the second time.

I am reading two books at the moment which is rare for me:

Welcome to Night Vale and
Artemis Fowl

both books are just okay so far.

QOTW: I'm not a lot on social media so I don't follow any writers.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Heather wrote: "Jess wrote: "I've still not finished any books this week. The Historian is so dense and detailed that I'm struggling with it a bit despite really enjoying the story. I thought I might ..."

Thank you! I will get my precious credit back!

message 19: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7255 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "... I've never listened to an abridged audiobook before. Are they all like this? If so, what is the point of them?
..."

I've often wondered why abridged books exist, too. And why are they so common in audiobooks? And why aren't they clearly labeled as "abridged"???? I accidentally downloaded the abridged version of Dracula as an audiobook from Overdrive once. Of course I knew the story already, so I was not confused, and it took me a while to realize it was abridged! I kind of thought maybe in this one case the abridged version might be an improvement, because Stoker's book does get rather dry and wordy at times. But, in general, I want nothing to do with the abridged edition, and this taught me to check more carefully! At least in my case I was just borrowing the library copy via Overdrive. I hope you are able to return your Audible copy.

message 20: by Jess (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Nadine wrote: "Jess wrote: "... I've never listened to an abridged audiobook before. Are they all like this? If so, what is the point of them?
..."

I've often wondered why abridged books exist, too. And why are..."

I didn't actually think about it being abridged until I tried to find the place where I'd last listened in my paperback version and realised that around 15 minutes of narration had covered 40 pages! I just thought I hadn't been listening properly and that's why I was missing plot points.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Happy Thursday!

It's finally starting to stay Spring out and I'm seeing Avengers: Infinity War tonight, so it's a win win day for me.

I only have one book to update with this week.

Finished:

This Is Our Story for a book by an author with the same first or last name as you. I'm glad I found this book because I really enjoyed it. It did keep me guessing until the actual reveal, I would highly recommend it for Mystery/Thriller readers.

Currently Reading:

The Nest for a book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to. I'm only a chapter into it (haven't done a ton of reading lately) but I've been interesting in reading this book for awhile now.

QOTW:

I follow a few authors on Facebook and a few on here. I'm not on Twitter but I do like reading JK Rowling's tweets.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana Long | 3 comments Done! Unemployment has given me plenty of time to read. I have a promising interview next week so wish me luck!

Challenge Prompt Book Title
1. A book made into a movie you've already seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
2. True Crime Lucky
3. The next book in a series you started The Land of the Painted Caves
4. A book involving a heist Catch Me If You Can
5. Nordic noir The Snowman
6. A novel based on a real person White Houses
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you The Music Shop: A Novel
8. A book with a time of day in the title Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
9. A book about a villain or antihero American War
10. A book about death or grief A Mother’s Reckoning
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym The New Republic
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist The Designer
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical The Day the World Came to Town
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you Behold the Dreamers
15. A book about feminism What Happened
16. A book about mental health The Bell Jar
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift All the Ugly and Beautiful Things
18. A book by two authors Will Grayson, Will Grayson
19. A book about or involving a sport Beartown
20. A book by a local author A Rainbow Together
21. A book with your favorite color in the title A Fall of Marigolds
22. A book with alliteration in the title Young Jane Young
23. A book about time travel Flight
24. A book with a weather element in the title Winter Storms
25. A book set at sea Voices of the Lusitania
26. A book with an animal in the title Little Bee
27. A book set on a different planet A Wrinkle in Time
28. A book with song lyrics in the title Night Moves
29. A book about or set on Halloween The Halloween Tree
30. A book with characters who are twins We Could be Beautiful
31. A book mentioned in another book This Boy’s Life: A Memoir
32. A book from a celebrity book club Sing, Unburied, Sing
33. A childhood classic you've never read A Wizard of Earthsea
34. A book that's published in 2018 An American Marriage
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner Little Fires Everywhere
36. A book set in the decade you were born Brooklyn
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to In It for the Long Haul
38. A book with an ugly cover Future Home of the Living God
39. A book that involves a bookstore or library The Librarian‘s Vampire Assistant
40. Your favorite prompt from previous challenges: too long on TBR list The Girls

1. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school Illusions The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
2. A cyberpunk book Artemis: A Novel
3. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place Norse Mythology
4. A book tied to your ancestry The Plum Tree
5. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title The House on Mango Street
6. An allegory Exit West
7. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you Bandersnatch
8. A microhistory Selkirk’s Island
9. A book about a problem facing society today My Life on the Road
10. A book recommended by someone else taking the challenge The Power

message 23: by Heather (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 735 comments I'm officially going for all 50 prompts! I checked off two advanced prompts this week because the books fit so well there and nowhere else. I hope I can keep up my current reading pace all year!

Finished
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women (microhistory) - This book is going to stay with me for a long time. It's an important piece of American history and wonderfully written. I highly recommend it.

Lost Lake (alliteration in the title) - I adore all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. This one might be my favorite yet. I'm not from the South, but reading her stories still feels like coming home.

When the English Fall (tied to your ancestry) - When I stumbled across a science fiction book about the Amish, I knew I had to read it. It was totally unlike anything I usually read, but I enjoyed it. My mom, who hates science fiction, is so curious she said she might read it too.

Reading
The Edge of the World - Only about 50 pages in, but I like what I've read.

QOTW
I don't follow authors, but sometimes I'll check their blogs or social media to see if they've announced a new book.

message 24: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 757 comments Hey all! Nothing especially big to report this week, so on with what I finished this week I guess...

Three books this week:

Space Opera -- "book published in 2018." I've been looking forward to this book for MONTHS, and I was not disappointed! Catherynne Valente has gone a long way toward dispelling the notion that all science fiction has to be heavy and deadly serious with this novel.

Hook's Tale: Being the Account of an Unjustly Villainized Pirate Written by Himself -- "book about an anti-hero or villain." Basically Peter Pan meets Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Interesting and decent but not phenomenal.

The Castle of Llyr -- not for the challenge. Reading Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles of Prydian" books on the recommendation of a friend, and I wish I'd read these when I was a kid -- they're fun.

DNF:

Water and Prometheus, A New Dawn. Both were interesting ideas, but were poorly written enough to make me drop them without finishing them. Also the first one contains gratuitous scenes of sexual violence -- WHY? Why is rape the go-to thing to make a male character villainous or a female character sympathetic? *shudders*

Currently Reading:

Stranger in a Strange Land -- "book for a prior PopSugar Challenge prompt," in this case "book you got from a used book sale." It's supposed to be a classic, so let's see if it holds up after half a century...

Poison or Protect -- not for the challenge

QOTW:

I don't use twitter, but I follow a handful of authors on Facebook -- Catherynne M. Valente, Andy Weir, Tony James Slater, and Stephen King. Funny enough, for being a scary writer King sure likes to share pictures of his corgi...

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 249 comments I am at a total of 17/50 completed. This week I read:

Allegory: The Fifth Season
A book mentioned in another book: The Man in the High Castle

For fun: Necessity

QOTW:

I do follow a couple authors on Social Media:
Stephen King - cracks me up. Whether it's his dog or his political battles with Trump I love seeing new tweets from him.

Ada Palmer and Jo Walton - These are new authors for me (within the past year) but I love them dearly and think they are brilliant women. I've tweeted some appreciation for their books in the past and they actually bothered to reply, and I think it's great that they make time to show appreciation to their fans.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 735 comments Kenya wrote: "Funny enough, for being a scary writer King sure likes to share pictures of his corgi... "

Molly the Thing of Evil! I love seeing posts about her.

message 27: by Margaret (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:58AM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) This afternoon, early, looks like a nice (temps in the 60s predicted) window for working in the garden - weeding, at least - before rain starts up again later. My Wando peas have loved all the wet, cold days in April. Other things I planted haven't flourished, but as long as I get peas in May, I'll be happy.

I finally finished Walden, after nearly a month of intensive reading, for #17: a book you borrowed. That's 12 out of 40 books read for the challenge.

I'm not going to read anything today or tomorrow in order to save my stamina (and eyes) for my first Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon on Saturday. I know it's going to be tough. I spent most of yesterday (from about 8 am until 8:30 pm, getting up at least once an hour to do something else for 5 or 10 minutes) reading Walden, but when I reached the last five pages and Thoreau went off on another metaphysical tangent, I absolutely couldn't make myself read any longer. I was happy to get back to it first thing this morning, though.

My next challenge books are going to be In Suspect Terrain by John McPhee for #3, next book in a series you started; and Modern Architecture Since 1900 by William J.R. Curtis for #37, a book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to. I don't think they'll mesh well if I try to read both at the same time; not sure which one I'll start first.

QOTW: Like someone else mentioned, I only use Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram because they're the best ways to keep up with my younger family members and see photos of the grandkids. I hadn't even thought about following an author, but after reading Nadine's post I looked for some of my favorites on Twitter, and they didn't have accounts! (Of course, since I'm a lover of old classics, many of my favorites lived and passed away decades ago.)

Thegirlintheafternoon Good morning, everyone! It's a beautiful day in Lawrence, Kansas - fingers crossed that holds through the weekend.

FINISHED

Like Kansas - A friend of mine published this funny, sexy, thought-provoking poetry chapbook, which I used for the Popsugar prompt of "a book by a local author." Now at 19/50 for this challenge.

Black Sheep - I picked up this Georgette Heyer on a whim and sped right through it! Thoroughly delightful, and it helped me check off the Read Harder prompt of "a classic work of genre fiction." Now at 11/24 for that challenge.

IN PROGRESS

I'm about halfway through with the audiobook of We're Going to Need More Wine (really good) and about three-quarters through with Long Division (what a book! it's so mind-bending).

QOTW

I follow a few authors on social media - Courtney Milan is a particularly good follow!

message 29: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments My parents flew in as a surprise for my 40th birthday - which you’d think might give me more reading time as they play with the kids, but that hasn’t been the case. Instead, they bought the girls an elaborate cedar playset for the backyard and this thing is such a project - the instructions say 14 hours for two people to assemble! I think it will be finished today.

I did go to a book mingle at BookBar, which is sort of an informal book club where you get a free drink and chat about a book. This week it was I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer and then yesterday it turns out that they’ve finally arrested an ex-police officer! Such odd timing for me!

What I did read:

On the Banks of Plum Creek - this was a quick listen and when I think of LIW this is the book that contains most of the things I recall. The incident where Ma made her give her beloved doll to a neighbour baby broke my heart.

Beggars and Choosers - I may have liked this even better than the first book in the series - mostly because I really liked two out of the three narrative voices. Plus, society is breaking down in this book and that’s always fun for me.

We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria - really informative. I’ve been following the situation in Syria but this added a great framework to understanding what’s going on. I liked that this book challenges the idea that everyone wants to immigrate elsewhere - I thin sometimes Westerners think that’s the case when actually many people would strongly prefer to stay in their own countries and are devastated that they can’t. I also liked that it challenges the narrative in the western press that the refugees are overwhelmingly religious and Muslim. This book gives voice to the multiculturalism of Syrian society and also to secular voices within Syria.

Heart Berries: A Memoir - Such a hard listen. I could relate to a lot of what she said about her relationship, haven’t we all had one where we give too much of ourselves? It’s about mental illness and being a Native woman and writing and men and mothering and generational trauma. I meant to read this for celebrity book club pick but decided it fits so perfectly as mental health that I’ll find another celebrity pick.

Justina Ford, Medical Pioneer - I just happened across this kid’s non-fiction at the library one day and thanks to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman I have a mild obsession with early female doctors in the West. Plus, I like reading about my adopted city, so this was interesting. Her house has become a museum which I will have to go visit soon.

Currently reading:

Across Five Aprils - I have no idea where this hold came from. Why did I choose it? Not loving the audiobook so far but it’s short and a Newbery winner, so I’ll probably push through to the end.

Like a Mule Bringing Ice Cream to the Sun - I just barely started this, but I think I’m going to like it.

Moon Palace - a 1001 read.

I have some others “in progress” that I barely touched, since I’ve really only been getting to audiobooks in the past week.

I’m starting on my quest to read one book by each author attending Comic Con in June. This is likely to fail just as it did last year because after ages of it just listing like four authors, there’s suddenly been an explosion on the list and I’d have to read rather a lot of books. So, fingers crossed I can get through some of them in time (and that my holds come up soon!). With luck, some of these will fit into prompts. If not, I’m ahead enough in Pop dugar and Book Riot challenges so that it won’t be a problem. I’m stupidly far behind with ATY, though, and I may want to rethink trying to do it in order because that’s been seriously slowing me down.

QOTW: I think if I used Twitter, I’d follow a ton of authors but somehow I never took to the platform. I follow a few authors on FB, mostly Junot Diaz and Margaret Atwood. Sometimes Lisa See updates pop up. I’m pretty sure I have followed more authors but I don’t really have too much time to check my feed these days, so I don’t see too much. I tried to get into Litsy recently but it was also a fail - I pretty much just use FB and Goodreads and that’s it. No time for more.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments I've been enjoying more spring days as well! I finished two books this week, bringing me to 29/50.

Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a midwife in Mali by Kris Halloway for fruit in title. I loved this! I listened to the audio and the narrator was excellent. I recommend this to anyone looking for fruit/veggie in title, weather element in title, or fascinated by Mali.

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls for the ugly cover prompt. This was good to, Jeanette's grandmother had a interesting life and strong personality.

QOTW: I don't do much social media, so don't follow anyone. I have occasionally checked in with Robin McKinley on her blog, she has some interesting commentary on her pets and everyday life there, with lots of footnotes. it can be quite the production, so much so, I sometimes wish she'd spend more time on her next book, and less on the blood. I'm still eagerly awaiting her sequel to Pegasus, but would be happy with any new book.

message 31: by SarahKat (last edited Apr 26, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Good morning!

I only finished 2 books this week:

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket - aloud to son. Not for the Challenge
The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White - I listened to this on audio for one of the quarterly challenges and I LOVED it! Frank McCourt has an amazing voice. I used this for the 2 author prompt.

Working On:
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon- Probably for country that Fascinates me
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón- for Book store or Library. Should finish this week
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris - audio - Character who is LGBT. It's a memoir and David Sedaris is gay. Loving this so far.
The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket - audio with son, not for the challenge (he wanted to start the series over on audio even though we're not done reading them all yet)
The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket - aloud to son, not for the challenge.

QOTW:
I only use Facebook and I follow Neil Gaiman. I actually haven't thought about following more. Perhaps I'll look for more authors right now!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 249 comments Milena wrote: "Looking forward to a beautiful day in NYC today. I have to spend it at work, but at least I have huge 16th floor windows at the office.

Completed:
Little Fires Everywhere for Goodr..."

RE: Annihilation - I read this book this year too and really enjoyed it. So of course I also saw the movie. The movie was fun if you like B-horror/sci fi movies (I don't mean this as an insult, this is my favorite kind of movie) but it definitely missed out on a lot of the subtleties of the book that made it so intriguing.

message 33: by Merilee (new)

Merilee | 14 comments I just discovered this thread. This week I finished The Golden Notebook (feminist book) and The reason I jump (2017 challenge a book by someone with a disability). Really enjoyed the latter as it gave me insight into my autistic son, but really didn't enjoy the former - perhaps it's just too dated for me. i don't follow any authors. I have 12 books towards the challenge so far, 1 of them in the advanced challenge. I'm currently reading One Amazing Thing (different book group), Winter of the World (next book in a series you started), and A Mother's Reckoning (problem facing society today).

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Most of my currently reading books are the same as last week, but I did take breaks from them to slip in some fun, short books. I need to figure out how to change it up though, because too many of the books I'm reading feel like chores.

Finished Reading;

A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages With this book I discovered that it's hard to rate a memoir that I didn't enjoy a whole lot, because I try to respect that line between criticizing a book and criticizing an author, and sometimes that's a very thin line with a memoir. The best parts were about her family back in Oklahoma.

食戟のソーマ 8 Shokugeki no Souma 8 , 食戟のソーマ 9 Shokugeki no Souma 9 , 食戟のソーマ 10 Shokugeki no Souma 10 The next three in the manga series I've been reading. A fun series that's starting to pick up in plot tension and character development.

Murder on Whiskey Row For my 'local author' book. It was an okay cozy mystery, and the local references were fun, but the the writing wasn't amazing.

The Graveyard Book Technically still on my currently reading list because I haven't read the afterword about the writing of the book, but basically done because I finished the story last night. I enjoyed it, despite an irritation with one character toward the end, but it doesn't replace Neverwhere as my favorite Neil Gaiman book.

Currently Reading:
Fix, Freeze, Feast, 2nd Edition: The Delicious, Money-Saving Way to Feed Your Family; Stock Your Freezer with Ready-to-Cook Meals; 150 Recipes I made progress on this one this week, but really need to just buckle down and finish it so I can review it for NetGalley.

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements I'm enjoying this one for the most part, it's just a long audiobook so it's taking me a while to finish.

Sophie Scholl and the White Rose Still trudging through for the new-to-me historical bits, but not enjoying it a lot.

When God Says "Wait": Navigating Life's Detours and Delays Without Losing Your Faith, Your Friends, or Your Mind I meant to blitz through this for a quick Sunday afternoon book, but it made me so emotional that I needed to take a break and haven't been motivated to pick it up since.

QOTW:
Most of the authors that I follow are because of some 'like this page on facebook for extra giveaway entries' situation, and I'm in the process of giving them a chance to be interesting before I unfollow them.

I think the only author posts I really enjoy on Facebook are Sandra Boynton's. She often posts funny drawings with captions, and sometimes they're even inspirational in an offbeat sort of way.

I follow a few on Twitter as well, like Neil Gaiman, Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner and Tahereh Mafi, but in general I'm tending toward spending more time on Goodreads than other social media...

message 35: by Ali (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Happy Thursday all! The sun is out today and it's SO beautiful, that its putting me in a good mood!

I finished 3 books this week, only one of which went towards the challenge.

The Romance Reader's Guide to Life by Shannon Pywell. I hated this book. I love romance novels, and it was clear that this author doesn't really have respect for the genre, so it was weird that she tried to write a romance novel. Also there wasn't even a romance! Just a huge disappointment.

Surpassing Certainty: What My Twenties Taught Me by Janet Mock. I actually liked this better than her first memoir (which was still very good!). I really love listening to her on audio because her voice is just SO soothing.

Lastly, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, read for a book made into a movie you’ve already seen. I ADORED Love, Simon and was really excited to read this book. It took me a bit to warm up to the book, because there definitely were some big changes from the book to screen. However, I ended up love this. It's a wonderful little cutesy YA book about discovering yourself and falling in love. Plus, it reminded me so much of how much fun I had in theatre in high school.

I'm currently reading Truly Madly Guilty, Othello, and Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet. I'm also planning to pick up I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer for my true crime prompt and because of the arrest of the suspected Golden State killer!

QOTW: yes, I follow a lot of authors on social media. Not always just because I like what they write, but also because I like what they tweet about. I follow a lot of writers, not necessarily authors, so it makes a big chunk of who I'm following in general.

message 36: by Johanna (last edited Apr 26, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 234 comments 25/52

Spring MUST be here because my allergies have hit in full force!

Completed Prompts

I only finished one book this week.

A childhood classic you've never read: Why did no one warn me about Bridge to Terabithia? I was reading it with my son and when we got to the part where (well those who have read it will know) he said "Nope. I don't want to read any more!"
So I finished it all my myself.

On my nightstand:
Almost done with The Snowman for the Nordic noir prompt. I'll definitely have it done by next week. Same with China Dolls. I also got a book I'm reading for the prompt of a fruit or vegetable in the title. Can't wait to read that one!

QOTW: Nope. I don't have time. I spend enough time on social media as it is!

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara Mike wrote: "It's been so long since I updated, I'm not sure where I left off. So far I am 24/52 for the overall challenge, and that includes all 10 for the advanced challenge!"

Woohoo Mike! I know you say often that you consider yourself a slow(ish) reader. That's fantastic progress for so early in the year!

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara The reading slump continues for me. Between just being busy, not spending much time sitting around and simply not finding books that hook me I have only finished one book this last week.

American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land by Monica Hesse - I'm using this for True Crime as it is about a serial arsonist couple that set 67 fires (mostly abandoned buildings) on the Eastern Shore of Virginia a few years ago. I live in Virginia (though on the other side of the state from where this happened at) so I remember all the news coverage of it very well. One of my old college professors was even one of the profilers they called in to consult! It was a quick, easy read for me.

I'm currently working on:

The Secret Garden - I have lot count of how many times I have read this. I indulged in a new audiobook narration.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I heard someone on a podcast recently lament that she must have been the very last person to read this. She's not :) I don't always love epistolary books, but we'll see how this goes!

At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. I have downloaded the audio from my library, but I haven't started it yet. Will use for an author with my name.

15/40 regular, 3/10 advanced so 18/50 total

QOTW
I don't know that I follow any authors on social media. I have a love/hate relationship with social media anyway. I follow some on Goodreads, but that's it.

message 39: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) Hello! We got our first real taste of summer- it has stopped raining and it has been over 80 degrees! Yeah for reading outside! I haven't checked in in awhile- busy trying to catch up.

Finished:
Why Her?: 6 Truths We Need to Hear When Measuring Up Leaves Us Falling Behind (book with song lyrics "sort of")- this was for a book club too and I remember the song from 2006 "Why Her?" so I thought it should count, good book with tools to help in the world of comparison
The Cuckoo's Calling (book with female author who uses male pseudonym)- LOVED IT I was hooked even if it was too wordy at times
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (book involving a bookstore and April group read)- It was a good book. I liked the ending better than Sourdough but it was really tech savvy and I didn't understand a whole lot of the coding aspect.
Progress: 17/40 & 0/10 but on goodreads I have read 74 books because YES I have been tracking all the books I read to my Kindergartner.
Currently Reading:
The Joy Luck Club (book by an author who is a different ethnicity than yourself)- this is a reread for me but I am loving it just as much as the first time around
I have a couple lined up but not sure where to start. I really wanted to finish Left Behind series this year- I know they are awful books but I thought I would read them for a laugh and because I found all but 2 of them at a used book sale. A couple other books I have lined up Every Note Played, One Crazy Summer, and Turtles All the Way Down.
QotW: I follow a couple of authors on Facebook. Lynn Austin, Robin Jones Gunn, and Heidi Schulz are the ones I remember. I might have a few others I just don't see them in my feed very often.

message 40: by Mirel (new)

Mirel | 171 comments Hi all!

After about a month of mostly spring/summer weather here in Israel, we're back to winter. Temperatures have dropped from the 80s and we're having thunderstorms and flooding (rain is generally limited to the winter here).

Didn't get much reading done this week: I'm still in the middle of Middlemarch (for a female author using a male pseudonym). Although I'm enjoying the book, it's a bit of a slow read as a) it needs digesting b) there are a lot of dated references. Also, I had an incident with my eyes this week, which left me unable to read and with neither the nerves or the patience to listen to books either.

The other book I'm still reading is Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People which I don't think fits the challenge. Also a slow read, since I'm meant to be thinking about it and learning from it...

The only books that I read and finished this week are the two that I read to my granddaughters: Cloudette (weather element?) by Tom Lichtenheld; and another book in Hebrew connected to Israeli Independence day (The Kindergarten Children Build a State), which both girls received as a gift as part of their city's reading program for children. I visited them twice this week, and read it for a grand total of six times!

My book depository order finally arrived, so I hope to finally finish Middlemarch so I can get to some more challenge prompts...

QOTW

I don't really follow authors, except for the ones in my online writing group who are more friends. There are some writers I get notices from because I once downloaded freebies or won books, but I can't say I really follow them.

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Happy Thursday! It's been a wild week here in Arizona as our public school teachers are starting a walkout today to demand adequate funding for our schools. We are 48th in the nation in per-pupil spending and 50th in the nation in teacher pay. And as far as I know this is the first ever teacher "strike" in Arizona, so we're in uncharted territory. I'm hoping our very Republican state government will choose to do the right thing and meet all or most of the teachers' demands.

But on to reading! I finished three books this week and I'm currently working on two.

Finished
Ishmael's Oranges (7. set in a country that fascinates you) I'm heading to Israel Palestine in mid May with my church to learn about peacemaking, so I wanted to choose a book set there for this category. The book begins in 1948 when the nation of Israel was formed, and follows a Palestinian boy from a seaside village near Tel Aviv and a Jewish girl living in England. Their lives intersect and the story follows them for the next 40 years. I didn't find the writing super strong, but I enjoyed the book overall. I read Mornings in Jenin several years ago, which covers similar issues, and liked it much better.

Everything is Horrible and Wonderful: A Tragicomic Memoir of Genius, Heroin, Love and Loss (Adv 9. A book about a problem facing society). This was so so good. It is written by the sister of Harris Wittels, the Parks and Recreation writer and producer and actor who died of a heroin overdose in 2015 at the age of 30. She wrote the book in real time at intervals in the year after he died as she was also raising her one-year-old daughter. It was so beautifully written, raw and funny. I highly recommend.

Echo I listened to this on audiobook and it was wonderful. The story incorporates a lot of music, which was included on the audiobook.

Progress
26/52 (22/42 regular, 4/10 advanced)
Woohoo!! Halfway point!

Currently reading
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (11. book by female author who uses male pseudonym) I can't even believe how good this book is. I am devouring it. I'll say more after I finish.

Blood Brothers: The Dramatic Story of a Palestinian Christian Working for Peace in Israel This is an assigned book for my Israel Palestine trip. It is really good but I've had to read it in short spurts because it is devastating so far.

QOTW
My favorite follow on Facebook is Jen Hatmaker. She is both deep and hilarious, and cares about a lot of the issues I also care about.

I follow a lot of authors on Twitter, mostly in the social/racial justice realm, including Angie Thomas, Bryan Stevenson, and Michelle Alexander.

message 42: by Jessica (last edited Apr 26, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 239 comments Hello from Las Vegas. The temperature has climbed up to the 90's, to which I say, too soon. Golden Knights start round two of the NHL Playoffs tonight. Super exciting stuff. Trying to double my lead on my reading goals before my vacation in two weeks where I will certainly get ZERO reading done.

20/52

Currently Reading

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl
Railsea by China Miéville
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
The List by Siobhan Vivian

Finished
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
#31. Mentioned in Another Book
You
Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky
Used my Wild Card here using
#20. Local Author

No. Except on goodreads. I don't really use facebook.

message 43: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 67 comments Heather wrote: "I'm officially going for all 50 prompts! I checked off two advanced prompts this week because the books fit so well there and nowhere else. I hope I can keep up my current reading pace all year!

F..."

I remember watching a documentary about the Radium Girls when I was little at my Uncle's house. There wasn't much to do and it was just on, but I watched the whole thing. I was around 7 or 8 and it really stuck with me. I bet the book was great, though terrible.

message 44: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 492 comments It was a very slow reading week because it's the last week of classes and students who've ignored deadlines all semester are in my office wondering how they can pass and turning 1001 things in late.

All I finished was And Then There Were None for the prompt A book that is also a stage play or musical (the unfortunately named Ten Little Indians. I was also in that play in college). I read this once back in junior high so it's been a long time. It's certainly inspired many a copy cat.

Question of the Week Oh yes, way too many to count, Neil Gaiman Cherie Priest Elizabeth Bear, Leanna Renee Hieber (Who's invited me to talk to her this weekend at a steampunk thing) J Scott Coatsworth Jana Denardo Kim Fielding Lex Chase, Grace R. Duncan and many more.

message 45: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hi all,

From a very sunny Vancouver! It is beautiful this morning....very springy!

I am at 11/40 and 3/10 for the challenge.

I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven, for the book about death or grief. I actually really liked this book. It is sort of a tale about dying, but the author does a great job of tying everything together...even a few tears were shed!

I am currently reading the book about a villain or anti-hero, and I picked Spider-Man/Deadpool, Vol. 1: Isn't it Bromantic. My husband is a big comics guy - loves them. He has already read this one! I like Spiderman and Deadpoool. But Deadpool...he definitely fits the "anti-hero" category!!!! LOL

QOTW: Not really. I think I follow Kathy Reichs on Facebook, but I don't think she is very active on there.

message 46: by *¨·٠•●♥✿LINLAN✿♥●•٠·¨* (last edited Apr 26, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

*¨·٠•●♥✿LINLAN✿♥●•٠·¨* (underjadeorchid) | 7 comments Hello from Thailand. This week I've finished 7 books, two of them graphic novels. I am now 43/50.

Finished:
1. Adulthood Is a Myth by Sarah Andersen
2. Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen
3. Shameless by Lex Martin
4. Herding Cats by Sarah Andersen
5. The Hardest Fall by Ella Maise
6. Love and Other Words by Leisa RayvenChristina Lauren
7. Bad Romeo by Leisa Rayven

Currently Reading:
1. Broken Juliet by Leisa Rayven

QOTW: I follow a few authors on social media. I recently followed Ella Maise.

message 47: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 154 comments Hi everyone,

here in Northern Germany we've had really hot days last weekend, and now it's April weather again: rain and sunshine and a little lower temperatures. But we can get the first strawberries and asparagus, yum.

I haven't finished any books this week, but I hope I will this week. Since I have to give back 2 books at the library on Monday, I sure hope so.
Currently reading:
Black Star Nairobi, good hard-boiled detective novel set in Kenya.
Die zwölf Leben des Samuel Hawley, really good, but also intense, a slow read for me
You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons: The World on One Cartoon a Day, fun sketches by a fellow traveller (I wish I could draw or had written a diary on more trips)
Listening to Gray, really fun book conataining a college 'fellow' and a gray parrot.
Zuckerfrei: Die 40 Tage-Challenge, have been thinking about my intake of sugar and about how to reduce it or even stop it.

QOTW:
I don't follow any authors.

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Good afternoon from sunny (for now) Maryland! I had a decent reading week but my biggest accomplishment is FINALLY finishing my white whale.... Grant. It took multiple library checkouts and more than two months (and I read about 25 books in the meantime) but it's done and it was so good!!

Also finished: Love and Other Words, the first women's fiction by the writing team Christina Lauren. It was great and I cried.

Currently reading: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation which is a re-read. I hope to start through the series again, which I think I started reading more than 10 years ago but haven't gotten to the last couple and it's been so long I'd rather start from scratch. Lots of color names in these titles and it involves spies so there's heists if anyone needs those!

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, free on Audible and read by Scarlett Johansson who is just lovely and fun. This will be my book mentioned in another book.

QOTW: I follow Courtney Milan on Twitter for her fantastic insight into the romance world. And Jasmine Guillory, who is similarly awesome.

message 49: by Jacque T (new)

Jacque T Good Friday morning from sunny Texas!

I finished two books this week, but neither definitely for the challenge:
Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother and Daughter Journey to the Sacred Places of Greece, Turkey, and France which I really enjoyed. I may slot it in for a travel prompt from last year's challenge if I don't get the book currently planned for the 2017 prompt.
The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss which I may use for the LGBT prompt since she discussed her mother's lesbianism and how that impacted Anderson's coming out to her. Again, I have other plans for this prompt, but I'll keep this as a back-up.

Currently reading:
Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield for the celebrity book club prompt
White Trash: Race and Class in America
Lincoln in the Bardo possibly for book about grief

QOTW:
I follow several bloggers turned published authors who I have followed from before their first books were published, but I don't follow anyone specifically because they are an author.

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Tara wrote: "Happy Thursday! It's been a wild week here in Arizona as our public school teachers are starting a walkout today to demand adequate funding for our schools. We are 48th in the nation in per-pupil s..."

I'm in AZ too (Phoenix), and it has been crazy, hasn't it? I'm hoping the demands can be met. I've essentially been responsible for my niece and nephew's education (both are special needs), so I'm definitely pulling for a good outcome - there are so many things about our education system here that need fixing.

« previous 1 3