Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2017 discussion

General > Best Books of 2017 Challenge Wrap-Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 911 comments Mod
As a fun way to look back over the challenge year and show case some great books, I'd like to encourage our group members to share your favorite Austenesque/JAFF reads for 2017. They don't necessarily need to have been published in 2017 and might even be an on-line story. To help others find them, please list by title, author, (and on-line source if you can for the non-published ones).

Thanks to Abigail for coming up with this fantastic idea!

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sooo, favorites.

1. The Darcy's Hope Saga by Ginger Monette
2. Bluebells in the Mourning by Karalynn Mackrory
3. First & Then by Emma Mills
4. The Annotated Northanger Abbey by David Shapard
5. The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet by Caitlin Williams
6. I Could Write a Book by Karen Cox
7. The Deception at Lyme: Or, The Peril of Persuasion by Carrie Bebris

I read many more I loved, but these are probably the top ones.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments Some of these are books I read for the second or even third time and some are unpublished but all are ones I rated as 5 star reads.

When We Are Married: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Mistress: A Pride and Prejudice Variation, with Parts Not Suitable for Those Who Have Not Reached Their Majority
The Best Part of Love
Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation
A Short Period of Exquisite Felicity
Darcy's Big Wish
Two More Days at Netherfield
Snowbound - a P&P Novelette
Something Like Regret
Thirteen Days
A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South Not JAFF
Written in My Own Heart's Blood NOT JAFF
Foundation of Love: The Gypsy Blessing 2
My Mr. Darcy & Your Mr. Bingley
Pemberley's Promise
Mr. Darcy's Bad Day: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
A Dance with Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
Echoes of a Laugh (Published as Her Unforgettable Laugh: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Linda Thompson.)
Mr. Darcy Dances: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Love Unsought 5 stars
Cabs, Cakes, and Corpses (not JAFF)
The Darcy Monologues
Time's Up: Mr Darcy
A Man with Faults
Practical Engagements: A Fitzwilliam Darcy Story
Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
For Pemberley: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
Conceit & Concealment: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Mistaken
Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes
Modern Persuasion
Friends and Enemies: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
The Second Mrs. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella
Implacable Resentment
Elizabeth Doe: No-Name Person
Mendacity and Mourning
Foiled Elopement: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
The Inseparable Mr. and Mrs. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Love's a Funny Thing: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Romance
A Quest for Mr Darcy
The Journey
A Little Whimsical in His Civilities
Suddenly Mrs. Darcy
My BFF
The Perfect Gift: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
D-Day: D is for ...
The Journey Home
The Truth about Mr. Darcy
The Unthinkable Triangle: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
A Forever Kind of Love: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
Mr. Darcy's Bride(s): A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
An Arranged Marriage: A Pride & Prejudice Alternate Path
These Dreams
Passages: A Pemberley Tale
So Material a Change
Haunting Mr. Darcy - A Spirited Courtship
It Happened One Christmas

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Sheila wrote: "Some of these are books I read for the second or even third time and some are unpublished but all are ones I rated as 5 star reads.

When We Are Married: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Mistress: A..."

Ah yes, this is exactly the thing. I see a few that I have on the pile and can anticipate them seeing they were favorites for you. Thanks, Sheila! :)

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments If you look at my Y-T-D you will find links.

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sheila wrote: "If you look at my Y-T-D you will find links."

Good idea. Then we can check the blurbs.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thanks for picking up on the idea, Sophia! I can already see some good ones on your list for me to focus on in 2018.

Here are mine:
1. Edgar and Emma: A Novel After Jane Austen by Robert Rodi. Utter deliciousness overlooked by many; based on one of Jane Austen’s childhood fragments.
2. The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen Flynn. I guess I have a partiality for stories that involve Jane Austen herself, because see also #3 and #5.
3. Jane and the Waterloo Map by Stephanie Barron. Nobody does it better!
4. Longbourn Library: A Novel of Pride, Prejudice, and Books by Trudy Wallis
5. Haven’t finished it yet, but I’m quite enjoying the first volume of Collins Hemingway’s series The Marriage of Miss Jane Austen: Volume I.

From there I move into stories that aren’t strictly Austenesque but are of the period. Here I have three I enjoyed enormously:
6. The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer. My favorite Heyer of all, one I can reread endlessly without any diminution of pleasure.
7. Rondo Allegro by Sherwood Smith, a beautiful love story that takes its time to develop a true connection between hero and heroine.
8. The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman. For those of you who enjoy a fantasy element in your Regencies.

And an honorable mention for The Courtship of Edward Gardiner: A Pride & Prejudice Prequel by Nicole Clarkston; a few too many period inaccuracies for me to be totally comfortable, but it’s very charming indeed.

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "Thanks for picking up on the idea, Sophia! I can already see some good ones on your list for me to focus on in 2018.

Here are mine:
1. Edgar and Emma: A Novel After Jane Austen by..."

LOL, same for me. Rodi's Edgar and Emma are on the list as are several others here. Oh, The Unknown Ajax is in my top five Heyer favs. :)

message 9: by Barb (last edited Dec 20, 2017 05:29PM) (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 77 comments These are the stories I gave 5 stars in 2017 that I had not read previously.

Mr. Darcy's Christmas Present: The Madness of Mr. Darcy Continues
On Equal Ground: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
Officious Interference Alex9903
Mendacity & MourningMendacity & Mourning Ashton, J.L.
My Mr. Darcy & Your Mr. BingleyMy Mr. Darcy & Your Mr. Bingley Beutler, Linda *
Folly and Forgiveness: A Pride and Prejudice VariationFolly and Forgiveness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Brandon, Lizzy
Unravelling Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice NovellaUnravelling Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella Brown, Leenie
Mr. Darcy's Bad Day: A Pride & Prejudice NovellaMr. Darcy's Bad Day: A Pride & Prejudice Novella Capps, Christie
These Dreams: A Pride and Prejudice VariationThese Dreams: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Clarkston, Nicole *
A Fortunate Alliance: A Pride and Prejudice VariationA Fortunate Alliance: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Crawley, Emma
Impertinent Strangers: A Pride and Prejudice StoryImpertinent Strangers: A Pride and Prejudice Story Dixon, P.O.*
Miss Elizabeth Bennet: Where the Heart LivesMiss Elizabeth Bennet: Where the Heart Lives Dixon, P.O.*A
A Short Period of Exquisite FelicityA Short Period of Exquisite Felicity D'Orazio, Amy *
The Best Part of LoveThe Best Part of Love D'Orazio, Amy *
A Moment ForeverA Moment Forever Gardiner, Cat *
A Vintage ValentineVintage Valentine Gardiner, Cat *
Snowbound at Hartfield: A Sweet Tea Novella; Pride and Prejudice sequelSnowbound at Hartfield: A Sweet Tea Novella; Pride and Prejudice sequel (Sweet Tea Stories Book 4) Grace, Maria *
A Quest for Mr DarcyA Quest for Mr Darcy Grafton, Cassandra *
Another Darcy: A Collection of Pride and Prejudice VariationsAnother Darcy: A Collection of Pride and Prejudice Variations Grix, Jane *
A Dance with Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice VagaryA Dance with Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary Jeffers, Regina
The Elizabeth Conspiracy: A Pride & Prejudice VariationThe Elizabeth Conspiracy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Joy, Jennifer*
The Indomitable Miss Elizabeth (Meryton Mystery #2) Joy, Jennifer*
Written in the Stars: A Sweet Romance NovellaWritten in the Stars: A Sweet Romance Novella(Starlight Terrace Proposals Book 1) Joy, Jennifer*
Darcy's Tempest: A Pride and Prejudice Short StoryDarcy's Tempest: A Pride and Prejudice Short Story Kay, Jennifer
In My Heart: A Pride and Prejudice VariationIn My Heart: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Kennet, Madeline
Lost in Love: A Pride and Prejudice VariationLost in Love: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Kennet, Madeline
Ribbons, Lace and Verse: A Pride and Prejudice VariationRibbons, Lace and Verse: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Kennet, Madeline
The Light of Dawn: A Pride and Prejudice VariationThe Light of Dawn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Kennet, Madeline
Friends and Enemies: A Pride and Prejudice VariationFriends and Enemies: A Pride and Prejudice Variation King, J. Dawn *
Blakely HillBlakely Hill (The Sweet Regency Romance Series #9) Langley, Perpetua *
A Most Handsome GentlemanA Most Handsome Gentleman Lauder, Suzan *
Affectionate Hearts: A Pride and Prejudice VariationAffectionate Hearts: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Leigh, Cassandra B.
Mistaken: A Pride and Prejudice VariationMistaken: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Lewis, Jessie *
Sketching CharacterSketching Character Lynne, Pamela *
Believing in Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice VariationBelieving in Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Variation McMann, Renata
Miss Bingley's ChristmasMiss Bingley's Christmas McMann, Renata
ExpectationsExpectations Murray, Frances
Courage Requires: A Pride and Prejudice ContinuationCourage Requires: A Pride and Prejudice Continuation(The Courage Series Book 2) Rachel, Melanie
Longbourn's Distinguished Guest: A Pride and Prejudice VariationLongbourn's Distinguished Guest: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Russell, Emily
All That This EntailsAll That This Entails S., Noell
Lessons of AdvantageLessons of Advantage Sand, Michael
The Goodness of MenThe Goodness of Men Schroeder, Anngela
Miss Darcy's Companion: A Pride and Prejudice VariationMiss Darcy's Companion: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Starnes, Joana *
Mistress: A Pride and Prejudice Variation, with Parts Not Suitable for Those Who Have Not Reached Their MajorityMistress: A Pride and Prejudice Variation, with Parts Not Suitable for Those Who Have Not Reached Their Majority Turner, Sophie *
Too Gentlemanly: An Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy StoryToo Gentlemanly: An Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy Story Underwood, Timothy *
A Twist of FateA Twist of Fate Webb, Brenda J. *
Even More ArdentlyEven More Ardently Williams, Caitlin *

Don't ask me for my favorites. I read them, rate them, and move on. My memory is not good for much longer than that - lol!

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Sophia wrote, “. . . The Unknown Ajax is in my top five Heyer favs”

Team Hugo!!!

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 297 comments Great idea and such fantastic lists already posted!!!

While 2017 was amazing for non-fiction Austen...it was also interesting for fiction.....

Longbourn Library -Truly Wallis
Heartstone -Katherine Elle White
Aunt Jane and The Making of Cherry Pie -Alice Chandler
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku -James W Gaynor
Persuaded -Missy Dawn Pulsipher

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Barb wrote: "These are the stories I gave 5 stars in 2017 that I had not read previously.

Mr. Darcy's Christmas Present: The Madness of Mr. Darcy Continues
[book:On Equal Ground: A Pride and P..."

Oh man, I need to get on the stick, Barb. You've read so many I still want to read and given them high marks.

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Great idea and such fantastic lists already posted!!!

While 2017 was amazing for non-fiction Austen...it was also interesting for fiction.....

Longbourn Library -Truly Wallis
Heartstone -Katherin..."

I thought it was a fantastic idea, too. Glad Abigail came up with it. :) After reading these lists, I'll have a whole new list of books to read.

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 77 comments Getting so many great ideas for 2018! This is a great idea and we should do it every year. In 2018 I will pay a little more attention to my favorites and keep the number down to something more reasonable. I was really bad at actually reviewing titles this year, so I can only go by my ratings.

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Barb wrote: "Getting so many great ideas for 2018! This is a great idea and we should do it every year. In 2018 I will pay a little more attention to my favorites and keep the number down to something more reas..."

Sure, this is great. We can do it again. But no worries, Barb, about the reviews. I know how time can factor in. And, a five-star rating is telling in and of itself.

message 16: by Marlene (last edited Dec 21, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Marlene | 364 comments Sophia wrote: "As a fun way to look back over the challenge year and show case some great books, I'd like to encourage our group members to share your favorite Austenesque/JAFF reads for 2017."

Here are my reviews to my favorites. :-)

Northanger Abbey: An Audible Original by Jane Austen (but abridged)

Persuasion by Jane Austen

non-JAFF Regency reads

Surrender the Sea by MaryLu Tyndall

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker -- Jane Eyre from Mr. Rochester's POV - LOVED it - but warning: Jane Eyre doesn't show up until 70% into the book. It was 5* for me anyway.

non-JAFF non-Regency - this one is a romantic cozy mystery in the Victorian era, which feels close to Regency, and hey - it's a Christmas story by one of my top 5 favorite authors

12 Days at Bleakly Manor by Michelle Griep, first in the Once Upon a Dickens Christmas

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 734 comments This is a great idea! Next time I'm on my computer (currently on my Android) I'll put up my list.

message 18: by Sophia (new)

@Marlene- thanks, lady!

@Debbie- looking forward to it.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments Marlene wrote: "Sophia wrote: "As a fun way to look back over the challenge year and show case some great books, I'd like to encourage our group members to share your favorite Austenesque/JAFF reads for 2017."

He..."

I would love to read Mr. Rochester but at $13.99 even for 465 pages...too steep for me. Want to lend it to me and I will lend you several in place of that loan as it is so expensive?

message 20: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 364 comments Sheila, that's one I got from NetGalley and isn't lendable. Bummer!!!

message 21: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments I'll have to check if it is cheaper there. Thanks for getting back to me. Merry Christmas.

message 22: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 364 comments I don't think NetGalley sells any books. But if you're interested in getting books for free to review, it's great. Mr. Rochester is probably archived, though. 😞

message 23: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine My favorites from this year:

1. An Ever Fixed Mark by AMarguerite at: http://archiveofourown.org/works/8523...

2. A Man With Faults by Lory Lillian

3. The Lectrice by Fredrica Edwards (Should be published soon) teaser at:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11755041...

4. A Quest for Mr. Darcy by Cassandra Grafton

5. Fair Stands the Wind by Catherine Lodge

6. A Dance with Mr. Darcy by Regina Jeffers

7. Northanger Abbey: An Audible Original, narrated by Emma Thompson et al

8. Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley

9. The Courtship of Edward Gardiner by Nicole Clarkston

10. Chance and Circumstance by Kara Louise

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Jeannine wrote: "My favorites from this year:

1. An Ever Fixed Mark by AMarguerite at: http://archiveofourown.org/works/8523...

2. A Man With Faults by Lory Lillian

3. The Lectrice by Fredrica ..."

Yay! Another list to comb through for gems to read in future. Love seeing your favs, Jeannine!

message 25: by Maria (new)

Maria | 50 comments Here's my list of favourites:

1. The Other Mr. Darcy - Monica Fairview
2. Sway - Melanie Stanford
3. Darcy's Dilemma - Cassandra Grafton
4. Desperate Measures - Cassandra Grafton
5. Venetia - Georgette Heyer
and of course..
6. Persuasion - Jane Austen
7. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments I've read so many books this year but my absolute favourites are:

1. Haunting Mr Darcy
2. Mistaken by Jesse Lewis
3. Miss Darcy's Companion by Joana Starnes

There could be so many others but these will be on my 'keeper' list to read over and over again!

message 27: by Mary (last edited Dec 24, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Mary | 709 comments These are my top ten reads of 2017-

1. The road to understanding. R.Jeffers.
2. Darcy's Hope-beauty from ashes. G.Monette.
3. Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey. G.Monette.
4. Duty demands. E.Owen.
5. Mistress.S.Turner.
6. A Moment Forever. C.Gardiner.
7. The Longbourn Letters. R.Servitova.
8. Friends and Enemies. J.Dawn King.
9. The Longbourn Will. C.Whyte.
10. When we are married. C.Williams.

Best audiobooks-
1. The Falmouth Connection. J.Starnes. Narrated by S.Zimmerman.
2. The Courtship of Edward Gardiner. N.Clarkston. Narrated by S.Zimmermann.
3. Pride and Prejudice. Narrated by Joanna David.

Unpublished stories-
Must admit I loved all those penned by the wordsmith that is WadeH!!

message 28: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments Mary wrote: "These are my top ten reads of 2017-

1. The road to understanding. R.Jeffers.
2. Darcy's Hope-beauty from ashes. G.Monette.
3. Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey. G.Monette.
4. Duty demands. E.Owen. ..."

Is The Longbourn Will unpublished? Do you have a link?

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Love seeing the lists, Maria, Jenny, and Mary.

@Sheila I believe the Longbourn Will is a published story. I saw it reviewed on Claudine's blog as such.

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary | 709 comments No,Sheila,it's a published story. I bought a kindle copy. I didn't include any of the unpublished stories I read.

message 31: by Anji (last edited Dec 25, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

Anji | 275 comments Some of my favourite Austen related reads/listens/watches for 2017

Books/ebooks
A Quest for Mr Darcy by Cassandra Grafton
Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation by Ginger Monette
The Darcy Monologues edited by Christina Boyd
Leap of Hope: Chance at an Austen Kind of Life by Shannon Winslow

Audiobooks
The Falmouth Connection: A Pride and Prejudice Variation and
Mr Bennet's Dutiful Daughter both by Joana Starnes
Northanger Abbey: An Audible Original Drama

Non-fiction
Jane Austen at Home: A Biography by Lucy Worsley
Mr Darcy's Guide to Pemberley by J.B. Grantham

Austen originals
Well, anything written by Jane Austen herself simply HAS to be up there in any favourites list, but this year for me, they were:
The Annotated Emma, annotated by David Shapard
Northanger Abbey and the History of England narrated by Alison Larkin

Dramatisations
Lost in Austen
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Love and Friendship
Persuasion (1995)

There's very little (only about half a dozen, give or take) that I haven't enjoyed, which just goes to show how blessed we are with such talented writers.

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments Mary wrote: "No,Sheila,it's a published story. I bought a kindle copy. I didn't include any of the unpublished stories I read."

Found it. Thanks. I did try Amazon before and didn't get it so there must have been a glitch somewhere.

message 33: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "Some of my favourite Austen related reads/listens/watches for 2017

Books/ebooks
A Quest for Mr Darcy by Cassandra Grafton
[book:Darcy's Hope at Donwell Abbey: A WW..."

Lovely list, Anji. We really are blessed with so many wonderful books that make a Best of list a tricky thing to make. :)

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (vesper1931) | 7 comments My favourite JAFF books have been those about Mary Bennet and/or the Colonel - I haven't read one yet that I haven't really enjoyed, these are just a few from that list -

1 - Mary and the Captain by Nancy Lawrence
2 - A Less Agreeable Man by Maria Grace
3 - Blood and Parchment: The Secret Life of Mary Bennet by A J L Zarychta
4 - Mayhem at the Minster by S M Klassen
5 - The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough
6 - Becoming Mary: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel by Amy Street
7 - Mary of Longbourn series by Carrie Mollenkopf
8 - Not an Heiress by Leenie Brown
9 - When Mary Met the Colonel by Victoria Kincaid
10 - The Strange Inheritance of Mary Bennet (Gothic Austen Sequel, #1) by Annie Gluck

message 35: by Sophia (new)

Susan wrote: "My favourite JAFF books have been those about Mary Bennet and/or the Colonel - I haven't read one yet that I haven't really enjoyed, these are just a few from that list -

1 - Mary and the Captain..."

I do love both those particular minor characters, too, Susan. Nice list of the books with them as the MCs.

message 36: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) You’re definitely on a Mary roll, Susan! Have you read Mary Bennet and the Bloomsbury Coven?

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan (vesper1931) | 7 comments Abigail wrote: "You’re definitely on a Mary roll, Susan! Have you read Mary Bennet and the Bloomsbury Coven?"
Yes, twice

message 38: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) It’s a hoot, isn’t it?

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (vesper1931) | 7 comments Abigail wrote: "It’s a hoot, isn’t it?"
Yes, I really enjoyed it

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Dec 27, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Sarah (loptandcropt) My fave Austen-inspired books of the year:

- A Summer for Scandal by Lydia San Andres: Loosely based on P&P, set in a fictional Caribbean town in the early 20th century, this is FANTASTIC. Great writing, perfect tension, and a deep understanding of D&E translated into original characters. It's FAB.

- Mistaken by Jessie Lewis: I had been waiting forever for this one to finish and be published, and it did not disappoint. Hilarious and inventive, with one of my favourite Darcys ever.

- The Best Part of Love by A. D'Orazio: Amy's superpower is ripping out the beating heart of her readers with angst, then expertly and seamlessly repairing it with lush romance.

- Mendacity and Mourning by J.L. Ashton: Laugh-out-loud funny and slapstick-y and zany, but with real heart underneath. You think you have a weird family? It's got nothing on Darcy's extended family here.

- Fair Stands the Wind by Catherine Lodge: Elegant and wry writing, a dashing Captain Darcy, and a very different what-if scenario. Beautiful.

- All the Things I Know by Audrey Ryan: A fresh modern take on P&P that really highlights how EB's struggles to understand herself are universal, no matter what time period you put her in.

(I was the editor on the last two, so I admit to my own biases, but they really are excellent!)

Unpublished and/or WIPs online (all on AHA):

- An Unexpected Harvest by cat0967 (complete): A modern gender-swap that shows how similar D&E are, even if you switch up some of their characteristics and put them in 21st-c. U.S.

- The Force of Passion by AAMS (WIP): One of my all-time favourite JAFFs, long dormant, came back to life as gorgeous as ever.

- Keeping Calm by booknut (WIP): An absolute giant of a fic (210 chapters and counting!), but a fascinating and incredibly well-researched epic saga about D&E and their families during WWII.

message 41: by Sheila (last edited Dec 27, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments Sarah wrote: "My fave Austen-inspired books of the year:

- A Summer for Scandal by Lydia San Andres: Loosely based on P&P, set in a fictional Caribbean town in the early 20th century, this is FANTASTIC. Great w..."

I read Keeping Calm up to the marriage but then decided I would wait until it was finished to read the rest...210 chapters at last count. But I have read most, if not all, of Linda Wells' books.

Do you have a link to The Force of Passion?

message 42: by Sophia (new)

Sarah wrote: "My fave Austen-inspired books of the year:

- A Summer for Scandal by Lydia San Andres: Loosely based on P&P, set in a fictional Caribbean town in the early 20th century, this is FANTASTIC. Great w..."

You have me intrigued by A Summer for Scandal. Love your list, Sarah, and thanks for adding the extra explanation for why you loved it.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (loptandcropt) Sheila wrote: "Sarah wrote: "My fave Austen-inspired books of the year:

- A Summer for Scandal by Lydia San Andres: Loosely based on P&P, set in a fictional Caribbean town in the early 20th century, this is FANT..."

Yep! http://meryton.com/aha/index.php?show...

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (loptandcropt) Sophia wrote: "Sarah wrote: "My fave Austen-inspired books of the year:

- A Summer for Scandal by Lydia San Andres: Loosely based on P&P, set in a fictional Caribbean town in the early 20th century, this is FANT..."

It's really wonderful, as are her other books (novellas).

message 45: by Debbie (last edited Dec 28, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 734 comments My personal faves (there are a lot). There are others that I rated 5 stars that didn't make this list, so even though it's long, I really did sift though and eliminate many others. I'd read any of these again:

- Queen of the Desert: Pride and Prejudice in the Desert Concludes by Lavinia Angell

- The Whisky Wedding: a Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet story by Elizabeth Ann West

- Darcy's Big Wish by Cassandra B. Leigh

- Snowbound at Hartfield: A Sweet Tea Novella; Pride and Prejudice sequel by Maria Grace

- The Light of Dawn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Madeline Kennet

- Her Final Wish: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Renata McMann and Summer Hanford

- The Pemberley Affair: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Charity McColl

- The Annoying Truth (unpublished) by Sofie

- Mr. Darcy's Bad Day: A Pride & Prejudice Novella by Christie Capps

- An Unpleasant Walk by C. Rafe Carlson (my 3rd or 4th read-thru)

- Blakely Hill by Perpetua Langley

- Discovering Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella by Leenie Brown

- Darcy's Honor: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Victoria Kincaid

- Courage Requires: A Pride and Prejudice Continuation and Courage Rises: A Pride and Prejudice Continuation by Melanie Rachel

- A Man with Faults by Lory Lillian

- At Pemberley: 3 Pride & Prejudice Short Stories by Georgina Pryke

- Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Maria Grace

- Conceit & Concealment: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Abigail Reynolds

- A More Gentlemanlike Manner: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Sophia King

- An Unwavering Trust by L. L. Diamond

- Friends and Enemies: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by J. Dawn King

- Mendacity & Mourning by J.L. Ashton

- Havenswood (unpublished) by Babsy1221
(https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2786427/)

- Mr. Darcy's Bride(s): A Pride and Prejudice Vagary by Regina Jeffers

- Pride and Imagination (unpublished) by Astonishment

- The Journey Home by Karen M. Cox

Must get off my computer now. Off to breakfast and the movies. To be continued...

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Debbie wrote: "My personal faves (there are a lot). There are others that I rated 5 stars that didn't make this list, so even though it's long, I really did sift though and eliminate many others. I'd read any of ..."

You read a bunch of good ones. I think its great that you read so many good ones. :)

message 47: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I’m seeing certain title recur on many lists in this thread. Great advice for the new year (at least for those of us who are far behind the reading leaders)—thank you, ladies and gent or two!

message 48: by Debbie (last edited Dec 28, 2017 03:08PM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 734 comments Okay. Just back from seeing the latest Star Wars flick. If you haven't seen it, go. It's AWEsome!

Now... back to my list:

- Heartstone by Elle Katharine White

- Love Unsought (unpublished) by I Found My Mr. Darcy

- These Dreams: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Nicole Clarkston

- A Less Agreeable Man by Maria Grace

- Mr. Darcy and Mrs. Wickham (unpublished) by Cat Gardiner
https://www.vanityandpridepress.com/m...

- Shall we dance (unpublished) by WadeH

- I Shall Know How to Act (unpublished) by I Found My Mr. Darcy

- Mistaken: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Jessie Lewis

- A Pair of Fine Eyes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Charlotte Elliot

- Written in the Stars: A Sweet Romance Novella by Jennifer Joy

- The Marrying Type by Laura Chapman

- The Trials: A Pride and Prejudice Story by Timothy Underwood

- Men and Boys by WadeH

- The Strange Marriage of Anne de Bourgh by Skylar Harris

- The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma by Victoria Grossack

- Chance and Circumstance by Kara Louise

- Fair Warning by WadeH

- Pride, Prejudice & Wicked Pleasure: A Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice Variation by Em Brown

- A Remedy Against Sin: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Christina Morland (my 2nd read thru)

- Seven Brandies by WadeH

- Felicity in Marriage by Aria Benedict

- Christmas Cheer by Jennifer Becton, Melissa Buell, Rebecca M. Fleming, Cecilia Gray, Jessica Grey, Kimberly Truesdale

49 titles out of the 275 I've read so far this year. Hmmm. Pretty good percentage that I enjoyed enough that I'd read them again. Not that I'll have time to, with the size of my current TBR pile and the great books that keep coming out.

Want to know something very interesting? It turns out my favorite author of the year isn't one who's published. It's WadeH, who posts stories on fanfiction.net. There were even others by that author that I strongly considered adding. If you haven't yet read any and you love clever, well-written JAFF that's sometimes absolutely zany, check out some of the ones I posted.

message 49: by Sophia (new)

Debbie wrote: "Okay. Just back from seeing the latest Star Wars flick. If you haven't seen it, go. It's AWEsome!

Now... back to my list:

- Heartstone

- Love Unsought

- [book:T..."

Ooh, good to know about Wade H. And about Star Wars.
Heartstone is definitely on my radar for next year.

message 50: by Sheila (last edited Dec 28, 2017 04:43PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 1301 comments For those of you who love Brenda Webb's books or for those who are looking for a great story you might want to follow her latest @ https://forum.darcyandlizzy.com/index... Proof of Love.

ODC are young and we find them in a FMS...which I love.

« previous 1