Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2017 Weekly checkins > Week 40: 9/29 - 10/5

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:04AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Happy Thursday and welcome to another edition of the weekly check-in!

There's only three months left in the year. How are you doing on your challenge list? Do you have any books left that you've been putting off?

I have been putting off the pseudonym prompt. I've looked and looked but haven't really found anything of interest. I am currently planning to read a collection of short stories by O. Henry, but I'm not really looking forward to it.

In case you missed the broadcast message, the polls for November and December ended last week. We selected Sourdough for November's book and The Hate U Give for December.

Also, October's discussion of The Bear and the Nightingale is open. I really enjoyed this book!

Progress report:

I finally finished Thomasina for my book with a cat on the cover. I didn't love it as much as the movie though. It's a relatively short book, but it took me quite some time to get through.

I am almost done with a reread of Rebecca. I'm just not loving it as much this time as I did the previous two times I've read it.

I started two books in the last week:

Dreamland Burning - a dual timeline story of modern day discovery of a skeleton found on the property of a Tulsa home and the ties it has to events in 1921 Jim Crow era Tulsa.

Castle of Water - two people stranded on a deserted island after a plane wreck - one of them was supposed to be on her honeymoon.

I also downloaded an audiobook of The Golem and the Jinni from my library this morning. As soon as I power through the last 2 hours of Rebecca I plan to start this one.

Question of the week:

I didn't note who suggested this question so if you want to claim ownership please do!

What are your most read authors? (You can just mention the ones you think you've read the most or you can actually check this on Goodreads. Go to "My Books" in a browser. On the left side under "tools" you will see "most read authors".

My top authors are:

#1 - Diana Gabaldon (13)
#1 - Nora Roberts (13)
#3 - Deanna Raybourn (11)
#4 - Louise Penny (10)
#5 - Kristin Hannah (8)
#5 - J.K. Rowling (8)

No surprise that Diana Gabaldon is at the top. If I ever finish the Lord John series it will push her ahead of Nora Roberts. Speaking of, this one always surprises me because I don't really see myself as much of a Nora Roberts fan, but I have been sucked into several of her 3 or 4 book series.

message 2: by Elyse (last edited Oct 05, 2017 04:51AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) It's always fun to check this every once in awhile. Will take a lot to dethrone LKH. lol

1. Laurell K. Hamilton - 35
2. Pittacus Lore - 24
2. David Eddings - 24
4. Jodi Picoult - 19
4. John Flanagan - 19
6. Francesca Lia Block - 18
7. Diana Gabaldon - 17
8. Kelley Armstrong - 16
8. Charlaine Harris - 16
10. Sue Grafton - 15

The bottom 2 will be moving up in the next few months as I have a few more Harris to read that I own and the rest of the Kinsey Millhone series to read.

message 3: by Mike (last edited Oct 05, 2017 04:57AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments What a fun question! No surprises here:

1 Bill Willingham 37
2 Jim Butcher 20
3 Neil Gaiman 10
4 Rick Riordan 9
5 J.K. Rowling 8
6 Brian K. Vaughan 7
7 Dan Brown 6
8 Christopher Moore 5
9 Stephen King 4
9 Orson Scott Card 4
9 Terry Pratchett 4
9 Alan Moore 4

The true numbers for King, Card, and Pratchett are much much higher, but I read those authors B.G. (Before Goodreads) so they didn't get recorded.

Also, I am 38 out of 52 on my challenge. 1 book behind the pace to finish all 52, but I should at least finish the regular challenge.

message 4: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5645 comments Mod
Good morning! this came in just in time, I was just about to leave for work. So, okay, I'm going to be late for work. Again.

This week I finished up some dense books that I'd been chipping away at for a while. Each book took me an unusually long time to read, but each one was worth the time:

Kraken by China Miéville - this is sort of like Gaiman's Neverwhere, but MORE. Darker, weirder, more characters, more danger. Also, there's a squid. Because of course there's a squid.

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin, this is the sequel to The Three-Body Problem, and it continued to surprise me, but it didn't delight me as much as the first book.

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton This was dense but very readable. It's a good thing my library loan was for three weeks, because it took me 3 weeks to read it!

QOTW
I love looking at statistics! These are skewed a bit, of course, because some of my favorite authors have only published a few books. And some of these are authors I USED to devour, but haven't read much recently.

Here's my top 11 (There's a tie for 7th place, and I couldn't leave 11th place Mary Balogh off!)

1 Neil Gaiman 36
2 Gene Wolfe 28
3 Charlaine Harris 24
4 Sue Grafton 22 (LOL you can tell what letter I'm up to! W is next!)
5 Janet Evanovich 21
6 Sheri S. Tepper 16
7 Brian K. Vaughan 14
7 Kathy Reichs 14
7 Lauren Willig 14
7 Elizabeth Peters 14
11 Mary Balogh 13

message 5: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments I haven't finished any books this week. I think I'm going to have to shuffle my TBR pile to put the remaining categories (for Popsugar and Read Harder) at the top.

QOTW:
1 Lisa Kleypas 22
2 Janet Evanovich 21
3 Nalini Singh 20
4 Meg Cabot 18
5 Richelle Mead 16

I read practically any genre but looking at that list, I'm obviously heavy on romance and YA.

message 6: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 352 comments Happy little friday :-) Yay Weekend is so close.

Finished:
Assassin's Creed: Renaissance
Jane Eyre

Currently reading:
Emma
Halfway to the Grave Almost done but its a slow read for me not that interesting.
The Hating Game this might be a DNF for me. I am 12% in and to me the heroine just acts like a child.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments I only finished one book for the challenge this week! I am using A Light in the Attic as A Book You Loved as a Child. I don't know that I actually LOVED this book but I know I read it and enjoyed it.

I also finished Lord of the Flies but it did not fill a prompt for me. I liked the book but did find some parts to be confusing and struggled with it a little bit.

QOTW:

My top read authors are

Jk Rowling
James Dashner
Sarah Dessen
Stephenie Meyer
Ann Brashares

Besides Sarah Dessen all of these are authors of series so it's not that surprising that they're on the top of my list. I am surprised that Sophie Kinsella there since I feel like I read a lot of her books. I also find it interesting that even in my tops authors, I've only read 5-6 of their books. I like to read a lot of different books by a lot of different people so I'm not really surprised by my results.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "These are skewed a bit, of course, because some of my favorite authors have only published a few books. And some of these are authors I USED to devour, but haven't read much recently..."

Good point, and that's why Nora Roberts is so high on my list. I haven't read anything from her in years, but I used to read through her romance series. I need to focus on reading more books from some of my favorites so I can bump her down the list (no offense, NR, just not representative of my taste!)

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments I finished one book but it doesn't fit the challenge for me. I finished Blue Lily, Lily Blue the third book in the raven cycle. I like this one much better than the 2nd and I'll be diving in to the final book soon.

Still at 35/40 and 10/12 with all the rest of my books for the year picked out. The ones I'm least looking forward to (aside from the daunting 800 pager) is a tie between set in wilderness and set around a non-Christmas holiday. Hopefully the books I picked will make it fun.

QOTW

~Nick Sparks - 20 books
~Colleen Hoover - 15 books
~J.K. Rowling - 11 books
~Kiera Cass - 9 books
~ Cora Carmack - 9 books
~ Cassandra Clare - 9 books

message 10: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments olá from sunny, hot, holidailly Portugal. This week the same for last one, still reading 2 books:Outlander V - A Cruz de Fogo andA Caverna, but is leftingA Rainha dos Gelados for a book about food.
QOTW: I went to the my books and gave me:
-Barbara Bretton
-José Luís Peixoto
- Valter Hugo Mãe
- Diana Gabaldon
- José Frèches
- José Rodrigues dos Santos;
But also:
- José Saramago

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hello everyone! I haven’t checked in for a few weeks because life has been so hectic. And with that has come reduced reading time, unfortunately. I have a full business travel calendar for this month, so hopefully I will be able to get back on track while sitting in various hotel rooms & dining solo in restaurants.

This week I finished:
Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens by Eddie Izzard. Listen to this on audio instead of reading the book, if possible—especially if you are a fan of his standup. So many side stories were told via audio because Izzard wanted to inject an explanation of something along the way. Eddie Izzard always makes me laugh.

Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen. This is typical Hiaasen, and actually one of his early works (pub. In 1986). I enjoyed the caper, but as I’ve said previously, I need to read several books in between his novels because they all follow the same formula (inept unscrupulous characters + environmental/weather event + random animal = hijinks).

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman. I was hooked in the prologue on this one. Newman is a comedy writer and detailed her travels during her time off between TV seasons. I was entertained and could relate to her experience on many levels.

I am currently reading:
Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002 Still plugging along…
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie.
The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

QOTW: What a fun question! I've only been keeping track on Goodreads since 2013, and I've never taken the time to add books read prior to then, so these numbers are only somewhat accurate.

My list:
Janet Evanovich - 13
Charlaine Harris - 13
Sandra Brown - 9
Dennis Lehane - 8
Lisa Lutz - 8
Liane Moriarty - 7
Jen Lancaster - 7
Michael Connelly - 7
J.K. Rowling - 7
Harlen Coben - 6

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Greetings from Cleveland! Our weather can't decide if it's summer or fall, and the last couple days have been miserable, but I think fall is coming back soon.

I read Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream for a book with a day in the title. For some reason I thought this was going to be an uplifting sports story, but it turned out to be an incredibly depressing study of a town without much going for that used high school football to fill the void. I had to take a lot of breaks, because sometimes listening to all the racism and homophobia and exploitation was just too much. I found the only weak point to be when the author tried to narrate play-by-play sections of games. I love football, and these still often left me confused about what had happened. It's too bad, because otherwise I think the book could easily be enjoyed by non-football fans.

QOTW: I never knew this feature existed. It definitely reflects a few series I've read and is otherwise not that helpful, since I read a wide array of authors.

1-Robert Kirkman
2-Erik Larson
3-Jeff VanderMeer/V.E. Schwab/Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie/Candice Millard/John Lewis/J.R.R. Tolkien

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Oct 05, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments Good morning, everyone! I have not finished any books this week, but I've started some and made progress on all of them.

Still Reading
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling. My son & I are now about 72% finished with this one. He's so entranced that it's really sad when we have super busy days with no time to read a chapter or two. I love that we're able to take time to savor it, though, without rushing through it.

Started Reading
As I mentioned last week, I'm trying to read books that start with every letter of the alphabet. I was down to A, E, J, Q, V, X, Y, and Z. This week, I started three books that will help me cross off those letters.

As Time Goes By by Mary Higgins Clark. I'm a little over halfway through this, and should finish it soon.

Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp (J.K. Rowling). This was a book my son & I started one night when we didn't have time to read a 32-page chapter of GOF, but he really wanted something Harry-ish. We have read it a couple times when we just had time for a few pages.

The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child by Daniel J. Siegel. I got this a month or two ago from NetGalley as an ARC, and thought it would be an interesting read, but have never gotten around to starting it. When I realized I needed a Y book, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by reading this book.

QOTW
I haven't been active on GR long enough to be able to look at my most-read authors from my list of books. I guess I could go back and fill in all the books I can think of that I've read, but that would be awfully time consuming. Just guessing, I would say that these are probably the authors I either currently read a lot of, or have read a lot of in the past & they would be in my top if I could go back & count them up.

- Janet Evanovich
- James Patterson
- Mary Higgins Clark
- P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
- J.K. Rowling (if you could re-reads, she would be #1)
- Charlaine Harris
- Stephen King
- Dean Koontz
- Jen Hatmaker
- Lauren Tarshis (with my son)
- Judy Blume
- Marissa Meyer

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Nicole wrote: " I guess I could go back and fill in all the books I can think of that I've read, but that would be awfully time consuming..."

Oh I have absolutely done that. lol. I did used to keep track pre-Goodreads so I was able to log those pretty easily. But any book I can think of that I read when I was younger, I have marked as Read. Yes, I'm obsessive about books. lol

message 15: by Naina (last edited Oct 05, 2017 06:43AM) (new)

Naina (naynay55) | 113 comments Good morning from Washington, DC! It's starting to really be fall weather -- the mornings and evenings are cooler, but the days are still pretty hot -- it makes dressing for the day quite interesting!

I was able to finish quite a few books this week, so I'm starting to feel like I can maybe complete the challenge this year. I'm still fairly behind, so we'll see.

Finished

- Pieces of My Sister's Life -- book with a family-member term in the title. Not a big fan of this book. It felt like the author was trying to do too much, and the redemption story line for one of the characters felt very forced and unbelievable.

- A Night in the Lonesome October -- book with pictures. I heard about this book for the first time, when someone else in the group posted about it. I joined the read-a-long with the goal of reading one chapter a day with others, but I started on October 1st and couldn't put it down! It was my first time reading, and I really enjoyed it. I don't like re-reading, but I think I may have to read this every October. Really put me in the Halloween/fall spirit!

- Letters from Skye -- book of letters. This was a really quick read, and I actually enjoyed the story. I found myself wanting to know more about events though, than just what was contained in the letters.

- Trail of Broken Wings -- book about an immigrant or refugee. I found out about this from the "deals" of the day, but I ended up really, really liking this book. It's about three sisters raised by immigrants from India as well as their relationship with and between their parents. It deals with some heavy subjects, such as abuse, and I found it really enlightening and kind-of relatable; my parents too are immigrants from India (though thankfully they have never abused me or my sisters).

So now, I'm at 23/40 for the regular challenge, 8/12 for the advanced challenge, for a total of 31/52.

Currently Reading

- We Are Never Meeting In Real Life - book with a cat on the cover. This collection of essays is incredible!! Samantha Irby is hilarious, relatable, and so very insightful. Truly honest and authentic, heart-warming and heart-breaking.

QOTW

Like many others who have already posted, I think my most-read authors represent an earlier stage of my life (read: high school) where I got sucked into series by authors. Now, I read a strong variety of authors, and I haven't read anything by most of the authors below in a LONG time, so I'm positive this doesn't represent my reading preferences these days.

Cecily von Ziegesar - 15 (Gossip Girl series)
Caroline B. Cooney - 14
Jodi Picoult - 13
Lois Duncan - 8
Sarah Dessen - 8
Cecelia Ahearn - 7
Nicholas Sparks - 7

message 16: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa Finished #5 of 6 in my Firekeeper re-read, Wolf Hunting, Currently reading The Stone Sky and trying to stick to the 2-4 page chapters each day of A Night in the Lonesome October for the read-along. Accidentally read tomorrow's with today's before I stopped myself. /sigh :)

I entered a lot of books as read that came long before Goodreads, but mostly in clumps of well remembered series-es, so that affects my numbers somewhat.
My most read according to GR:

1. Seanan McGuire with 40 (but many of these are short stories, about 10-20 pages)
2. Mercedes Lackey 34
3. Anne Perry 23
3. Lilian Jackson Braun 23
(I do go back and re-read Lackey from time to time, but haven't touched a "Cat Who" book in almost 20 years, or the Pitt/Monk series either)
5. Raymond E. Feist 22 (also older, also occasionally re-visited)

Fastest climbing and likely to pass everyone but Seanan someday are Kate Elliott 18, and Martha Wells 16.

Kate's got 3 books out or released within a year that I haven't read yet, and Martha's got 3 more novellas coming across the next year also, so they'll be 21 and 19 in no time, with hopefully many more to come after!

message 17: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments Hi everyone! I had a great reading week. I finished 3 books.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 for "best seller from 2016"- It was very disappointing. It is a good thing I already knew I was going to be disappointed because I read many reviews before committing to this. Practically none of the characters seemed like themselves (to me). I am not going to rant just so disappointed.

Ramona and Her Father for "a book with a family-member term in the title" Ramona was big part of my life when I was a kid. I listened to an audio version of a couple of her books almost nightly. I hadn't read this one before. It was so adorable and realistic and I never knew it was based in Oregon where I live now.

Children's Letters to God: The New Collection for "a book of letters"- I read this while going to the bathroom. It is super duper short but I am a little worried about finishing this challenge so I have picked a couple short ones in order to complete the goal.

30/40 and 3/12

Currently reading The Door by the Staircase and it looks like by reading 2 books a week I WILL finish some time in mid-December- yah!!

QoTW:
This reflects my love for children's lit and becoming an English Major (Shakespeare):

1 Ann M. Martin
2 Valerie Tripp
3 Eric Carle
3 Robin Jones Gunn
5 J.K. Rowling
5 Janet Beeler Shaw
7 Laura Ingalls Wilder
7 Lois Walfrid Johnson
9 William Shakespeare
9 Barbara Park
11 Joanne Fluke

Thegirlintheafternoon Finished

- The Dinner - I used this for Around-the-Year's prompt of "a book being released as a movie in 2017." I know this one isn't too popular around here, but I quite enjoyed it! My only real issue was (view spoiler) Now at 40/52 for this challenge.

- The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better - This wasn't for any challenge, but it was a quick (if somewhat repetitive) read.

In Progress

I'm listening to Sherman Alexie's Flight (fantastic performance so far), re-reading Island of the Blue Dolphins (gorgeous!), and slowly making me way through The Talented Ribkins (I almost never say this, but I wish there was a bit more plot).

DNF

- The Meursault Investigation - This is based on Camus' The Stranger, which I've read, but it's been such a long time that I knew I was missing big chunks of crucial background. If I ever re-read "The Stranger," I might pick this up again.
- The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - I wanted to read this book for SUCH a long time, but within 40 pages it was clear that the author felt no need to question the racist, sexist, imperialist assumptions that underlay a lot of that history, so I was out.

QOTW

No surprises here! Like others, this doesn't include too many books I read or re-read prior to being a big GoodReads user; otherwise, Laura Ingalls Wilder would definitely be in the top 5.

K.J. Charles - 24
Sherry Thomas - 12
Naomi Novik - 9 (and all this year!)
Jane Austen - 7
James Baldwin - 7

Thegirlintheafternoon Anabell wrote: "The Hating Game this might be a DNF for me. I am 12% in and to me the heroine just acts like a child.

OMG, someone else who didn't love The Hating Game! I keep trying it and failing out - I just don't like the protagonists.

message 20: by Yvonne (last edited Oct 05, 2017 12:05PM) (new)

Yvonne | 40 comments Hey guys...well we are back in the summer weather here in central Texas...but our weather man is "promising" us cooler temps in about 5 days (won't believe it until I see it)...anyways, I am in a bit of a reading slump right now trying to get my last few books read for this challenge

Current status:
34/40 regular list
9/12 advanced list

Finished since last check in:

Anatomy of a Soldier by Harry Parker - a book from a nonhuman perspective
Originally I had Wish You Were Here by Rita Mae Brown but I read the first few chapters and just couldn't get into it. So I strolled along through the discussion thread for this prompt and one of you mentioned Anatomy of a Soldier and I was super intrigued. I picked it up from my library and finished it it 2 days. It was such a unique book with 45 different unique perspectives (I mean, who ever heard of a story told through the perspective of a tourniquet or a purse???). I am so glad I picked this one up.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach - book set in a hotel
I finished this one last night (it has been my night time kindle read for the month) and the best thing I can say about this book is "meh". It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it just was. I really had high hopes for it after seeing the previews for the movie (haven't seen the full movie yet).

Five Days in November by Clint Hill - a book with a month or day in the title
I read this book through in one sitting in just a couple of hours. I absolutely loved it. It really brought the emotions of those days through for the reader. I even had tears in my eyes reading the final section that covered the funeral.

Currently reading:
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - book set around a holiday other than Christmas
Cleopatra: A Life - book about an interesting woman
The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - a best seller from a genre you don't normally read

QotW
1. Nora Roberts - 28
2. Janet Evanovich - 20
3. Kathy Reichs - 19
4. Rick Riordan - 15
5. Cassandra Clare - 14
5. Lisa Jackson - 14
7. Stephen King - 13
7. J. K. Rowling - 13
9. Sarah J. Maas - 9
10. Marissa Meyer - 7
11. Jean M. Auel - 6

Like Sara, Nora Roberts is only at the top of my list because I really really like her slightly paranormal trilogies and have read just about all of them.

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 510 comments Good morning! Chicago is putting on its fall weather today: nice slight breeze, sunny, just cool enough for flannel.

Two books finished:

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story: I have been waiting to read this because I really wanted a paperback edition and I finally got it. It lived up to my expectations thankfully. Preston is such a good nonfiction writer.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1: I've seen a few of Miyazaki's movies, so when I happened to spot this on the library shelf I picked it up. The characters and world building were interesting, but I found it hard to read. The lack of color means its sometimes hard to figure out what you're looking at. I don't know if I'll continue to read this or just go watch the movie to see what happens.

My most read authors:

Agatha Christie with 41! Not that surprising considering she's easily my favorite author. My goal is to read her entire bibliography.

Lemony Snicket and C S Lewis with 14. I can't say that either of these are great representatives of my reading habits. Snicket is there because of his Series of Unfortunate Events. Lewis is in the top from the Narnia series and because I took a class in college about him.

J.K. Rowling: Not surprised by this one.

After that it's a tie between Dr. Seuss, William Shakespeare, and Jane Austen.

message 22: by Chinook (last edited Oct 05, 2017 08:47AM) (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Hello from Colorado where yesterday the children were out in shorts and this morning my husband tells me it may snow on Tuesday. We are slowly getting ready for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and have invited everyone we know in Denver, including our librarian!

I read a decent amount this past week, which is good because I suspect I won’t get to much reading over the weekend. First I read Saga, Vol. 2 - I own all of these but am still waiting for them as holds on Overdrive so I can read them on my phone. I really wish there was standard pricing to get the ebook with the paper copy as there is for movies. Love Saga, am looking forward to the next one.

For Banned Books read my library had a curated selection on Overdrive but I left it until the last minute to pick something and by then most of the books were on hold. I went with My Brother Sam Is Dead because of what I hadn’t already read that was available, this was the shortest. I’m really glad I read it - my American history knowledge is a bit weak and what children’s historical fiction I did read tended to center around WWII and covered wagons headed west.

Rabbit: The Autobiography of Ms. Pat was my audiobook this past week. It’s really eye-opening about what it’s like to grow up poor in America. I thought it was an important look at a background very different than my own and I downloaded several podcasts of her comedy to listen to soon.

I think perhaps I came across The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe here as a book with a cat on the cover? If not, I have no idea where I heard of this book and I haven’t read the Lovecraft story this plays off of but I really, really liked it. The dream world is fascinating.

And then I read The Lady Astronaut of Mars, which I didn’t realize when I borrowed it on Overdrive was a short story. I discovered the author through Denver Comic Con and I really liked the world building, so I’m excited to see that there are two books coming out in 2018 in this universe.

Right now I haven’t quite settled on what to read next. I’m reading The Roots of Heaven as part of my refocusing on the 1001 list but since it isn’t a library book it keeps being pushed aside. I started You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain just before my hold on The Lightning Thief came up, so that’s two audiobooks going at once. I’ve read the introductions for What Happened, Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded: A Decade of Whatever, 1998-2008. I need to settle on something.

message 23: by Nadine in NY (new)

Jackie - Regal Cinema has been doing a Studio Ghibli promotion for the last few months, once a month they show a Miyazaki movie (one showing in English and one in Japanese). We are big Miyazaki fans and we've been to them all. The last one they showed was Nausicaa!! (My daughter described this to her non-Miyazaki-fan dad as "a movie about a lot of big bugs" LOL) I had read the comics back in the late 80s, but the movie didn't impress me the first time I saw it, a few years ago. I liked it a lot more this time!! His movies are all like that, really- they are so WEIRD, you have to watch them a few times before they really grab you.

message 24: by Miriam (last edited Oct 05, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

Miriam | 153 comments Hey from Germany,

I finished quite a few books this week!

Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden, a quick and funny read. Had gotten it for my birthday. I didn't use it for the challenge, because I had already filled the book in a hotel prompt, but it would fit.

Der Freund: Wow! A great thriller from Sweden! Fast-paced, interesting developments, believable characters,absolutely current Problems of the world included, ,set in Europe and in Lebanon... Haven't used it for the challenge, but could be used as an espionage thriller, even though that only becomes clear after some time.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Most of you have probably read this already. I have had it on my TBR for at least 7 years. I read it as a part of the color challenge to fill my last prompt there. I was not overly impressed by this book. It was ok. I liked the general idea, but I didn't feel with the protagonist Bruno.

Currently reading: Erinnerungen by Beate and Serge Klarsfeld, German and French heroes who uncovered a lot off the history of the Nazis in France for a book by a person you admire. Non-fiction, but really gripping anyway.

QOTW:
Margaret Atwood (31) that includes mostly books written until the end of the 1990s and from all genres (novels, non-fiction, poetry, short stories, children's books). Haven't read many by her lately, but a lot of them are on my TBR.

The next are mostly writers of detective novels/thrillers:
Donna Leon (15)
Arne Dahl (15)
Elizabeth George(13)
Henning Mankell (12)
J.K. Rowling (plus the Robert Galbraith books ;-)
Taavi Soininvaara
Liza Marklund
Ben Aaronovitch

message 25: by Miriam (last edited Oct 05, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Miriam | 153 comments Elyse wrote: "Nicole wrote: " I guess I could go back and fill in all the books I can think of that I've read, but that would be awfully time consuming..."

Oh I have absolutely done that. lol. I did used to kee..."

I am with you Elyse! I have also done that and keep doing it when I remember a book I've read earlier :-)
But it is time-consuming...

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments After inexplicably faltering, I used the weekend to jump-start my reading life and it totally worked. Still have 10 to go in the challenge, but I'm not stressing (yet)!

Finished:
Sense and Sensibility. I needed a good re-read and this hit the spot. I think it's at least my third Jane Austen re-read on the year.

We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy. FINALLY bit the bullet and finished this essay collection. It's as great as I hoped and Ta-Nehisi Coates should be required reading.

69 Million Things I Hate About You. Another arc I needed to get off my to-read list so I just shotgunned it in a day. Also, the antidote to the malaise that can attack after reading a lot of Ta-Nehisi Coates essays in a row. Perfectly ridiculous premise, decently executed, actually laughed out loud once.

Words in Deep Blue. This book unexpectedly had me sobbing as I finished it last night. It was lovely and I want more from the author.

Currently reading:
Big Little Lies. It came in at the library so I have to read it because there's a waiting list so... here we are. Just started this morning.

QOTW:
I knew it would be romance/chick lit because when I find an author that does it well they become an auto-buy. I was correct. Oh, and Jane Austen.

-Tessa Dare (10)
-Hester Browne (6)
-Jane Austen (6)
-Cecelia Ahern (6)
-Sarah Mayberry (6)

message 27: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments QOTW:

1 - Anne McCaffrey - 71
2 - Katie McAllister - 22
3 - Maeve Binchy - 21
4 - LM Montgomery - 20
4 - Lynsay Sands - 20
6 - Margaret Atwood - 17
6 - Ian Rankin - 17
8 - CS Lewis - 16
9 - Douglass Adams - 14
10 - Lindsey Davis - 12

Anne McCaffrey, Maeve Binchy, LM Montgomery, CS Lewis, Douglas Adams - all high school and younger reads. I did reread a couple of Pern books when I was pregnant with Kait and a Maeve Binchy short story this year but otherwise I haven’t read these authors in ages.

Lindsey Davis and Ian Rankin are the result of being obsessed with a series in university - Davis because I was studying classical archaeology and Rankin because I did an exchange Year in Edinburgh. Both of them I didn’t finish and keep meaning to go back, reread and complete but never seem to actually do it.

Katie MacAllister and Lyndsay Sands are from an obsession with vampire romances that coincided with my laptop breaking and so I had no TV or Internet at home for about three months. I was reading a book a day by these two authors during that time it felt like.

And Margaret Atwood is my favourite author. She will creep up the list but I read her slowly since I don’t want to run out of unread books.

message 28: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 415 comments Bonjour,

No books to report this week as work it hectic. I leave when it's dark, come home when it's dark, then I sleep. Next week should be better.

QOTW: I like this question

1 - Stephen King 14
2 - Terry Goodkind 12
2 - Fabien Vehlmann 12
4 - Isaac Asimov 11
5 - Bernard Werber 10
6 - Robert Jordan 9
6 - Robin Hobb 9
8 - J.K. Rowling 8
9 - Daniel Pennac 7

I didn't rate all the comics I read. If that was the case, Hergé (Tintin), Van Hamme (Thorgal, XIII, Largo Winch...) or Goscinny (Astérix) should be first.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Good Morning,

I didn't do an update last week but finally feel like I have something to post this week.

Finished:

The Magicians for a book recommended by a librarian. I like this book, it was really different from the TV show which was nice. It did take me forever to get through it though.

We Were Liars for a book with an unreliable narrator. I really enjoyed this book. I figured out the twist pretty early on but still enjoyed the read.

DNF:

The Witches: Salem, 1692 it wasn't for any prompt but I wanted to read it and just couldn't get into it.

Currently Reading:
I still have a few prompts left and will be making my way through the last four over the next month.

Misery for a book that's been on your TBR list for way too long.

There's Someone Inside Your House just because it looked fun and it feels like a perfect October pick.

QOTW:

This is a fun question. My list is pretty interesting.

1. JK Rowling (I added that in, I guess I haven't actually rated any of the Harry Potter books on here.)
2. Jane Austen
3. G. Willow Wilson
4. Kelly Sue DeConnick (I do rate a lot of comics on here.)
5. Neil Gaiman
6. Meg Cabot
7. Kieron Gillen (see lots of comic ratings)
8. Agatha Christie
9. Mindy Kaling

message 30: by Nicole (last edited Oct 05, 2017 10:07AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments Oh, I am in such big trouble reading through all these comments. I usually read some, but not a lot, just because I keep adding new books to my already enormous TBR list. Today, not only am I adding books that have been mentioned, but I'm checking out authors I haven't heard of before. This is very dangerous territory for me. My TBR is already at over 1,300 books, and these authors are most likely going to add many more. Eek! I need to win the lottery so I can sit at home and read all day if I ever want to get a chance to finish this list! :)

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I am struggling and most likely won't finish the challenge. I am up to somewhere around 37. I will finish for my kid though :) we're in the 40s and the only hard part is finding books to fit the last few prompts.

I finished The Hate U Give this week which was fantastic!

QOTW
my top read would depend if you meant lifetime or as an adult. Lifetime definitely would include Ann M Martin, KA Applegate and RL Stein because I read the entirety of their series' also probably read almost all of the sweet valley books so maybe her too.
For adulthood I'd guess JK Rowling, Jodi Picoult, and Piers Anthony. I have a few authors whose books I read all of but unless they're relatively prolific it won't be a lot.
I have only really been cataloging my reading on Goodreads for about 3-4 years but here's what they say :)

1) 6 books- Emily Giffin, JK Rowling, Marissa Meyer (tied but incorrect, I must not have put all the JKR books in and they don't include RG obviously)
2) 5 books- James Dashner, Piers Anthony, Margaret Atwood (also haven't entered all PA books read)

message 32: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Hello, everyone!

I am now at 48/52. The four categories left are a book with a red spine, a book by someone I admire, a book from a used book sale, and a book based on mythology. Two are underway (one since last January!!), I'm really looking forward to one, and I still haven't picked the one by someone I admire.

This week I finished two books:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - I absolutely loved it! I started reading it for another challenge when I discovered a sales receipt in it that showed I had purchased it at the San Francisco airport -- so I also read it for this challenge as a book I bought on a trip.

The Language of Food - A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky. This wandered a bit, filled with the author's personal experiences, but parts of it were fascinating. It's a fun book to read a chapter at a time. It would fit the prompt a book about food but I've already filled that one.

Question of the Week

I didn't know that feature existed on Goodreads! Thanks for pointing this out, I love it! I haven't added books I read before joining Goodreads, so some authors don't show up here when they should (Jane Austen, for example). It mostly shows prolific authors whose books I read for fun. Clearly I enjoy these authors, but they may not be my favorites (though some are). Here's the list:

1. Donna Leon (14) - I discovered her books right around the time I joined GR
2. Marissa Mayer (6)
3. Michael Chabon (5)
And there are 7 authors tied for 4th place!
4. Ben H. Winter
4. N.K. Jemisin
4. Eric Larson
4. Tana French
4. Robin Sloan
4. Sara Paretsky
4. Faye Kellerman

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments I appreciate that recent QOTWs have introduced me to new Goodreads features. It's like a friendly little tutorial without that horrific little paperclip guy!

I finished two books this week, bringing me to 37/52, which is a pretty good position I think. I finished Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter, which I absolutely loved. I understand that people were disappointed with it when it came out--expectations can get a little out of control when you wait 22 years for a book--but I think a lot of the reviews at the time focused on the Nazi allegory to their detriment. The best part of the book is the precise descriptions of human relationships and human failings. It's a bit like Barbara Pym but with more misanthropy.
I also finished The Vegetarian by Han Kang, which I found compelling, but couldn't fully invest in. The characters were so opaque and so disconnected from each other that it almost didn't feel worth the effort to think about them. Maybe this is a book that needs post-reading thought to be meaningful.

QOTW: Tamora Pierce in the lead for my most-read author warms my heart! I love her so much. I've also got my other boos, George Eliot and Agatha Christie, in there.
1. Tamora Pierce (17)
2. Charlaine Harris (11)
3. Lauren Willig, Stephen King (10)
5. Agatha Christie (8)
6. Connie Willis, J.K. Rowling (7)
8. George Eliot, George R.R. Martin, William Shakespeare (6)

message 34: by Theresa (last edited Oct 05, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

Theresa | 1662 comments Greetings! I've not read any 2017 Pop Sugar challenge books this past week - still have that 800 pager lurking on the side. But I had some other books to finish, and now a couple of NYPL ebook downloads to read, so I still have something to report, LOL.

Actually, 2 of my finishes I used to fill prompts on the 2015 Pop Sugar challenge which I'm casually doing in tandem as a book I'm reading does not fit 2017:

Finished:

The Namesake - loved this! 5 star read from me. On the surface, a story about immigrant assimilation and cultural identity, I found it had a much deeper and broader application. Certainly there was much in Gogol's story that I personally related to as a farmer's daughter from a rural area who came to the big city to attend an Ivy League college, ultimately pursuing a life and career as remote from my parents and my cultural heritage (although both sides of my family emigrated here in the early to mid 19th century, we were basically a long line of farmers) as Gogol was from his. I allocated this to 2015 Pop Sugar challenge banned book - and it nicely dovetailed with banned book week as well. For the record, it was banned in high schools for inappropriate sexual content. Most Harlequin romance novels have more sexual content! This would also work on 2017 for book spanning a character's lifetime, and a bunch of other categories.

The Nightingale - 5 star beautiful read but oh was it painful! I had to take a week's hiatus about 2/3rds through to calm down emotionally enough to finish it. Spent Saturday evening with a box of tissues getting it done. Put it in my 2015 Pop Sugar list as tear-jerker - it certainly was for me!

No more WWII set books for me for quite a while! There have been too many this year.

Immediately after reading The Nightingale, I had to go silly and light, so read a collection of Deborah Hale's Christmas Regency novellas. Then I read Sugar Pine Trail, the next in the Haven Point Series and quite fun. Loved the description of the Victorian house in it.

Now reading: Snow Crash - a NYPL ebook which finally came up on my hold list to download. I'd originally targeted it for 2017's genre or subgenre never heard of (cyberpunk), but read something else instead. I was intrigued to read it regardless of challenge, so it's now my 2015 book set in the future. I'm only about 4 chapters in...at first I was having real trouble enjoying it at all -- too much invented slang and purple prose - very off-putting. However, I've either adjusted to it, or it's eased off, I'm starting to enjoy it even if there are moments that I cannot figure out what he's describing. I just move on.

QOTW: Well, since using Good Reads to track my reading has only been something I've recently started, that authors most read tool isn't all that accurate. Here are what it reports, somewhat tweaked, and probably fairly representative of the last couple of years:

Stephanie Laurens
Roxanne St. Claire
Susan Mallery
Barbara Freethy
Helen MacInnes
Georgette Heyer
Suzanne Brockmann
Marie Force
Jane Aiken Hodge
Robyn Carr
RaeAnne Thayne
John Grisham
George R.R. Martin
Donna Kauffman
C.A. Belmond
Charlotte MacLeod

message 35: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Nicole wrote: "Oh, I am in such big trouble reading through all these comments. I usually read some, but not a lot, just because I keep adding new books to my already enormous TBR list. Today, not only am I addin..."

Hahaha! I hear you, Nicole! I love to read through what people are saying about the books they've read, but I have to be really careful about making my already unwieldy TBR list even longer!

message 36: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments Ashley wrote: "DNF:

The Witches: Salem, 1692 it wasn't for any prompt but I wanted to read it and just couldn't get into it."

It was so disappointed in The Witches because it was super dry and boring and I loved Shiff's Cleopatra book.

message 37: by Dani (last edited Oct 05, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Hello from a rainy Columbus! I'm seeking refuge from the weather while my son in school in starbucks (they have a pumpkin spice whipped cream right now!) and I just now realized it's Thursday. Where has this week gone? I am almost done with my challenge! And so now I'm hoping to finish the book riot challenge by December, I got some lofty goals. I also decided to start a book club so I've spent this week organizing that.

Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle that I read for the first in a series prompt. I really wanted to read the sequel so I didn't wait. It will work for a fanstasy novel for the book riot challenge, so that worked out well. I'm lowkey offended that these books aren't more popular. They're fantastical and wholesome and sweet and very enjoyable.

Little Fires Everywhere is the book I picked for my book clubs first read. It would work for a lot of popsugar prompts, but I'm using it for the book riot's a book that takes place within a 100 miles of my location. Since Shaker Heights is so close, I actually plan on going to an event with Celeste Ng in November at the Shaker Heights library. The book was good, really good. I have so many things I could say about it, but I'll just say I loved it.

The Sign of Four I'm not using for any prompts. I have the 63 hour full collection of Sherlock Holmes stories narrated by Stephen Fry and this was what was up after A Study in Scarlet. I'm excited and a bit daunted to tackle the rest of the content.

QOTW: JK Rowling is my top read authoir. John Green, and unfortunately Stephanie Meyer was on there. I have a thing about always finishing series so that's what my top read authors tend to be. If you counted the Brontës as one author they'd be the top. Jane Austen is a top read author as well. If Marisha Pessl had more than two books she'd be too, if I had to pick I'd say she's my favorite author.

message 38: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Nicole wrote: "Oh, I am in such big trouble reading through all these comments. I usually read some, but not a lot, just because I keep adding new books to my already enormous TBR list. Today, not only am I addin..."

teehee my To-Read shelf here is 12,000+...you're doing find at 1,300. lol!

message 39: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 352 comments Thegirlintheafternoon wrote: "Anabell wrote: "The Hating Game this might be a DNF for me. I am 12% in and to me the heroine just acts like a child.

OMG, someone else who didn't love The Hating Game! I keep trying it and faili..."

So glad to hear I am not the only one. Thought it was just me. I am listening to an audiobook so didnt know if that just made it worse but really don't like her...

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Dani wrote: "Hello from a rainy Columbus! I'm seeking refuge from the weather while my son in school in starbucks (they have a pumpkin spice whipped cream right now!) and I just now realized it's Thursday. Wher..."

I'm planning to go to her event in Shaker Heights too! I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I've been thinking all day how I just want to get home and finish it.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 510 comments Elyse wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Oh, I am in such big trouble reading through all these comments. I usually read some, but not a lot, just because I keep adding new books to my already enormous TBR list. Today, not ..."

Oh my god. 12000?! How...?

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments This week I am very happy to say that I am only one book away from completing the challenge!! I finished the regular challenge last week and am now on my last book of the advanced challenge.

This week I finished Don't Breathe a Word (book with mythical creature) and also read Middlesex (book with immigrants or refugee) and Everything I Never Told You (book from used book store). I'm currently reading my final book for the challenge The Winter People for a genre you've never heard of (paranormal fantasy).

QOTW: My top 4 authors are:
1. Jodie Picoult (I've read 19 of her books!)
2. Elin Hilderbrand
3. Nicholas Sparks
4. Kristen Hannah

message 43: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) Jackie wrote: "Oh my god. 12000?! How...?..."

lol any book I'm remotely interested in gets put on my To-Read shelf! I've seen a lot of GR users that use their To-Read shelf as books they own but haven't read yet. I have another shelf that those goes on in addition to my To-Read shelf. :)

message 44: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Rebecca wrote: "Dani wrote: "Hello from a rainy Columbus! I'm seeking refuge from the weather while my son in school in starbucks (they have a pumpkin spice whipped cream right now!) and I just now realized it's T..."

Say hi! I'll be the one with bright turquoise hair, you can't miss me 😂

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments Hi everyone. Autumn is well and truly here in Yorkshire.

This week I finished The Bear and the Nightingale. I am a big fan of fairy tale re-tellings but this one fell a little flat for me. I still enjoyed it but I had read so much praise for it my expectations were sky high.

I also read War Horse. I did see the film a long time ago but couldn't remember all the details. I am not the most knowledgeable about WWI so it definitely enlightened me on quite a few aspects o the war.

Currently reading Ben Hur. I read an abridged version as a child but never read the full book before and because I am going on holiday to Italy next week, I wanted something ""Roman" to get me in the mood. Hoping to finish it before we fly on Tuesday.

QOTW: Wow, I have just discovered so many new authors by looking at everyone's answers! I am one of team who's gone back and rated books read pre-goodreads so a lot of mine are kid's books

1 Roald Dahl 18
2 L.M. Montgomery 15
3 John Marsden 13
4 Philip Pullman 11
5 Judy Blume 10
5 Arthur Conan Doyle 10
7 Louisa May Alcott 9
7 Charlaine Harris 9
7 Noel Streatfeild 9
10 Gregory Maguire 8

message 46: by Judy (new)

Judy | 27 comments This is my first time to post on the weekly check-in. Apparently I missed this in the introductory post. And, I've actually already finished the challenge, but of course I haven't stopped reading! I thought about looking for another challenge since I've seen others doing multiple challenges, but I guess I'll save that for next year. So, here's what I read this past week.

*The Wild Garden by Harriet Smart--I liked this author's Northminster Mysteries, so now I'm reading some of her other books.
*Festive in Death by J.D. Robb--The In Death series is one of my guilty pleasures.
*Fugitive Colors by Lisa Barr--a WWII era story about the Nazi confiscation of art before the war started.
*The Saturday Evening Girls Club by Jane Healey--a historical novel set in Boston in the early 1900's.
*The Daughters of Blane by Harriet Smart--another historical novels about 3 sisters, set in Scotland, England, Italy and Africa.
*Real Murders by Charlaine Harris--the first in the Aurora Teagarden series. Can't resist a cozy mystery featuring a librarian!
*Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarity--a character study of the effect of a shocking event on three couples and their children.

QOTW
Like others, I was interested to see the Good Reads report on most read authors. And like others this probably does not represent my all-time most read list, since I have never tried to go back and put in books read before I joined Good Reads. Still here's the top 10, which basically represents the fact that when I get started with a series, I often keep going until I finish it.

1 J.D. Robb 21
2 Charlaine Harris 20
3 Charles Todd 14
4 Alex A. King 13
5 Tess Gerritsen 12
6 Estelle Ryan 10
7 Harriet Smart 9
7 Margery Allingham 9
7 Louise Penny 9
10 Ruth Saberton 8
10 J.K. Rowling 8
10 Pamela Grandstaff 8
10 C.L. Bevill 8

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Chrandra wrote: "Ashley wrote: "DNF:

The Witches: Salem, 1692 it wasn't for any prompt but I wanted to read it and just couldn't get into it."

It was so disappointed in The Witches because it was super dry and bo..."

I was really looking forward to it and it really just isn't what I expected. I have heard really good things about her Cleopatra book, maybe I'll have to check that out.

message 48: by Nadine in NY (new)

Elyse wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Oh my god. 12000?! How...?..."

lol any book I'm remotely interested in gets put on my To-Read shelf! I've seen a lot of GR users that use their To-Read shelf as books they own but h..."

I'm the same! But I also go through and delete books if I can no longer remember why I added them (or if I've lost interest) so I've kept my TBR under 1500. Right now I think it's about 1250 or so, not sure.

message 49: by Nadine in NY (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone. Autumn is well and truly here in Yorkshire.

This week I finished The Bear and the Nightingale. I am a big fan of fairy tale re-tellings but this one fell a little flat..."

I can see that. I was expecting to not like that book much, and I was pleasantly surprised. Expectations can be a bear! ... haha, get it? bear ;-)

message 50: by Willoyd (new)

Willoyd | 26 comments Two more books in the past week or so:
Letter from America by Helen Hanff for a book of letters, and
Reality Is Not What It Seems by Carlo Rovelli for a book on a difficult subject (and it was difficult!!).
They take me to 41/52, so just about on track, although I've still yet to do my 800 page book.

Most read authors. That'll be in childhood, and is probably Enid Blyton, although I read virtually all the Agatha Christies in my early teens too, but since adulthood I think they're the following:

1. Georges Simenon (17 books)
2. CS Forester (14 books)
3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (12 books)
4. Virginia Woolf (11 books)
5. Donna Leon (9 books)
6= Jane Austen, Charles Dickens & Jasper Fforde (7 books)
9= Peter Ackroyd, Patrick O'Brian & Claire Tomalin (6 books)

« previous 1 3