Start by marking “The Nightingale” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale

The Nightingale

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  380,027 Ratings  ·  41,540 Reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes an epic novel of love and war, spanning from the 1940s to the present day, and the secret lives of those who live in a small French town.

In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

FRANCE, 1939

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for th
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 440 pages
Published February 3rd 2015 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle Currie I didn't even question how or why they got to Oregon because the book is about two sisters and how each of them took different ways to survive the…moreI didn't even question how or why they got to Oregon because the book is about two sisters and how each of them took different ways to survive the horrors of war. We can guess and guess but I didn't care how they ended up there. I cared that they were strong, value driven, brave women and we need to have more characters like them come alive to inspire us. (less)

Emily May
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Isabelle. Paris is overrun. The Nazis control the city. What is an eighteen-year-old girl to do about all of that?”

What, indeed.

I really didn't know what to expect going into The Nightingale. Given the quote about love and war in the blurb, I kind of thought it might be an historical romance set during the Second World War - like the world really needs another The Bronze Horseman - but it turned out to be so much more than that.

There are love stories in The Nightingale,
Violet wells
It was the comparisons to All the Light We Cannot See that attracted me to The Nightingale. Though both novels are set during WW2 the similarities for me stopped there. All the Light is a magical novel electric with beautiful resounding prose and refined artistry; The Nightingale is a novel motored essentially by cliché and exaggeration.

Clichéd writing isn’t just resorting continually to stock phrases (though Hannah does this a lot); it’s also straining for tension through exaggeration to the p
Lori
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
With tears still running down my cheeks I'm writing this review. I've started this review several times and I don't think I'll be able to adequately put into words the power in which this novel has moved me. Truely a remarkable story that I, literally, beg everyone who loves historical fiction to read. I will be gushing about this novel for some time to come.
Regan
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I've been told by so many people that I need to read this book. It gets so much hype that I thought there was absolutely NO way it would live up to it. But it did more than that. It surpassed it.
My favourite books is a pretty exclusive list and it usually takes me a while to decide whether a book fits that list or not but this was an instant favourite. I absolutely adored it. Even just thinking about it now I am fighting back tears because this was such a beautiful and vivid story. I felt like
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
So many 4 & 5 star reviews here, but I'm afraid I just thought this WWII historical novel was okay. There are so many novels about this time period and I didn't think this one rose above the heap. The last one to do that for me was Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and this just can't even compare to that or to David Gillham's City of Women.

There's some nice detail about the home front in France, which I have read less about than the English home front. And there are some exciting scenes featu
Aestas Book Blog
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::: 5 STARS!! :::

HOLY WOW!!! This book was absolutely epic! A sweeping, breathtaking journey that captivated me from the first page with the strength and beauty of the writing. Truly an unforgettable story!

The Nightingale has a 4.8/5 rating average on Amazon (which is HUGE!!) and what that basically means is that practically everyone who is reading it is loving it. And I'm now adding my own 5 STAR rating to that list because this book owned my heart. The ending was so
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm not sure what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, but the quality and sheer excellence to this story blew my mind. I'm not typically a fan of historical fiction, which is likely why I've avoided it for so long, but once this was described to me as "historical fiction light" I felt it was safe to take a gamble on it. When we decided for this to be the Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews September book choice, I was nervous because WHAT IF I HATED THIS BELOVED BOOK?!

C
MomToKippy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ww2
For me this was a fusion of sub-literary chick lit and WWII fiction in that it was too cliche and melodramatic much of the time. I thought the female perspective of occupied France and the tales of the resistance as well as the opposing sisters' perspectives were generally good ideas but the whole thing lacked in the execution.

The tone of the book doesn't feel authentic to the time period and there are numerous unbelievable incidents and interactions. The historical facts are covered but the atm
Elyse
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start this review. I am typing it through teary eyes, so I will keep it simple. (Insert tissues here)

My pick for Vianne when this becomes a movie is Naomi Watts or Kate Winslet and for Isabella is Julianne Hough or Amanda Seyfried. Let's see if Hollywood takes my suggestion!

This WW2 novel was so beautifully written. This war was a time of bitter hatred and in this story Kristin Hannah brings to life love, survival, bitterness, strength, and persistence.

Vianne and Isab
Nat
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
“My nightingale, I got you home.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

I honestly didn't expect to like The Nightingale as much as I did.
The premise of the book intrigued me (I've been really into historical fiction lately).
This story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, during World War II and their hardships trying to survive.
My heart broke for each sister as I read their stories full of loss and pain. And I loved the shifting point-of-view that allowed me to see inside each character's head.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

1.5 stars. Oh, the IRONY. You might have never heard of it, but in 1981 French author Régine Deforges released a book called La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (part of a trilogy), which related the story of two sisters** during WWII in France. Léa, the outspoken, rebel and reckless one, who joins the Resistance after fleeing from the invasion of Paris and Françoise, the older, who has to live under the same roof of a SS during the Occupation. RING A BELL?

This novel, many times bestseller in France
Petrik
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII & Historical fiction fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
Shelves: owned-ebooks
A moving, strong and inspiring tale of survival, love, and female heroism during World War II.

Memoir and historical fictions are genres that I rarely visit. However, ever since last year after I finished reading the inspiring memoir by Yeonmi Park, I decided to at least read one book that revolves around war or its kind to remind myself to always be grateful. For that, The Nightingale is my pick of the year, and it ended up being one I will remember.

“If I have learned anything in this long lif
Angela M
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I almost didn't read this book and it would have been my loss if I didn't, because I would have missed out on knowing Isabel and Vianne , and the story of their indescribable bravery and volition to save lives in their roles in the French Resistance during WWII. Oh I know this is a work of fiction and these two women are characters in a novel . But I also know as history tells us there were real men and women risking their lives doing the very same things Isabel and Vianne did . A recent article
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah may be my favorite novel of 2015... and yes, I realize it's only February. It's just that good.

The setting is World War II, Nazi-occupied France. The story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, and how they each respond in times of great challenge. Their parallel stories are as different as their personalities, but are just as suspenseful, complicated, and emotional. Although The Nightingale is considered fiction, it is firmly planted in well-researched tru
Nea
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romance and chicklit lovers
Kristin Hannah is a pro in the chick-lit genre, and I applaud her efforts to break into historical fiction with The Nightingale. Unfortunately, I cannot say that I loved the result.

When I read historical fiction in a war setting, I expect a certain rawness that just wasn't delivered here. Yes, she included historically accurate descriptions of carnage, but the tone was destroyed with a barrage of trite elements.

The two main characters happen to be beautiful, irresistible, young sisters with da
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Το υπέροχο λυπητερό κελάηδημα αυτού του αηδονιού με συγκλόνισε εξ αρχής, με αγκάλιασε και με ταξίδεψε σε ιστορικές διαδρομές γεμάτες φρίκη και πόνο με μοναδικό κίνητρο επιβίωσης την αγάπη και όπλο αντίστασης την δύναμη που κρύβουμε μέσα μας και δεν το γνωρίζουμε.
Μεταφερόμαστε στη Γαλλία κατα τη διάρκεια του Β παγκοσμίου πολέμου και εκεί αρχίζει να αποτυπώνεται η απόλυτη σκληρότητα,η ωμή βία, η εξαθλίωση και η απόγνωση των απλών ανθρώπων που γίνονται έρμαια στους δυνατούς του κόσμου που την τύχ
Maxwell
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
I feel like I went on the journey with these characters, that I lived these years with them. It's a story I won't soon forget and definitely one that I hope to revisit in the future. An absolutely stunning book that I can't recommend highly enough. 5 stars
Gabriella
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really tried, you guys. There was even a 20% period when my standards were reduced so low from the previous 70%, that I thought maybe, maybe 2*. But the last 10% was offensive. Yes, I said offensive.

Review later. And by review, I mean bitch rant fest.

---------

People keep asking me how I didn’t like this book. Honestly, I want to ask them how they did.

Never have I ever read a book by such a clueless, air-headed author.

And I actually don’t even mean that to be mean, or to pick on KH. It’s just
Melissa
“In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.”

This is a story that will stay with me for a long time to come. I think most people would agree, the best kind of books are those that evoke strong emotions and make you feel. Among my favorites are books that made me think about life, fall in love or ripped me to pieces and left me in tears. THE NIGHTINGALE managed to do all of those things.

I’ve always had a fascination with World War II stories and with anything taking
Cheri
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I read this now (rather than maybe sometime in the future) because a goodreads friend (thank you, Jennifer!) mentioned in her recent review that they were making a movie out of this book.
I enjoyed this, but it would be inaccurate for me to say I loved it. I just never really believed in the characters, I never felt they were authentic or “real.” As a result, all of Isabel’s behavior and actions felt created for the purpose of manipulation, and I never really could shake that feeling fo
Matthew
4.5 to 5 stars - This is a very complete book. I hope that makes sense when I say it. I was satisfied with the entire experience.

Emotional and at times nerve-wracking. Love and hope mixed with fear and suffering. Hard choices that are unavoidable, easy choices that come with great risk. This book is a historical fiction roller coaster ride.

Even if you are not into historical fiction or WWII, I think this is worth checking out. Also, I would highly recommend it to those who enjoyed Between Shades
Drew
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I loved it. I loved it so much.

I haven't felt this invested in a book for a long time. Those addictive, fast paced YA books come and go - think Heartless, a 2016 favorite of mine. And then there are those rich, descriptive adult books that fill you up with new knowledge - like The Martian and The Wonder. It's rare when a book combines both of these things. And that's exactly what The Nightingale somehow, brilliantly managed to do.

This book takes a look at two sisters living in Fr
❄️Nani❄️
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
20/12/17

I've never been able to write reviews for WWII historical fictions. Something about books set in that dark time filled with great monstrosities and unthinkable human sufferings just makes expressing emotions… difficult. This was no different.

I’ve been trying to write something, ANYTHING since the moment I finished and… I’m seriously blocked. But I will try...
First off, wow.

The Nightingale is a harrowing and emotional tale of courage and endurance. It tells the story of two estranged si
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!

I can see why this book is loved by many and it really does warrant all the high ratings. It’s written in such a raw and poignant manner I think every reader will be moved in some way by the tragic beauty in this story.

Also, this review will be weird and shorter than normal because:

A) I’ve been distracted lately and have lost the ability to review
B) This was a really good book and that right there says it all

There are two main female leads, sisters Vianne and Isabelle Mauriac and the st
Carol
NIGHTINGALE is an excellent WW2 novel, but, in some instances, not unlike others of its kind. It explores the horrors of war via occupation by the Nazi's, their brutality and mass murdering of Jews, and the despicable treatment in concentration camps.

What separates this work of historical fiction from all the rest is the emphasis placed on the important part women played during wartime. The amazing stories of bravery by two sisters, Vianne who struggles to keep the home fires burning while battl

Brandie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the most heart breaking and one of the hardest books emotionally that I have ever read. It has been a long time since I've cried so much reading a book. Even though it's tough to stomach, it was a really incredible story that I know will stay with me for a very long time.

_________________
After sleeping on this, I haven't stopped thinking about it and had to bump it up to 5 stars, with a proper review.

I like a good cry once in awhile. What I wasn’t expecting was the sob fest I would get w
Jennifer Masterson
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sniffle sniffle!!! 5 HUGE STARS!!! There should be a warning that comes with this novel: "don't listen or read the end without a box of tissues!" The Nightingale was fantastic!!! I didn't expect to love this book the way I did. I wanted to be Isabelle at times! Her bravery was remarkable! This is a GREAT audiobook! The narrator was phenomenal!

The Nightingale is basically about two sisters in Nazi occupied France during World War II. Vianne the older of the two sisters and the young and adventuro
Sue
THE NIGHTINGALE by Kristin Hannah is a historical fiction novel that takes place during World War II, in France, occupied by the Nazi's.

The book starts in 1995 from the POV of an older woman, her son a doctor, is about to put her in an assisted living facility, then it takes you to France in the 1940’s. As this woman is reminiscing about her life during WWII, you don’t know who she is until the very end of the book. I couldn’t put the book down because I had to know who the woman was at the end
The Nightingale is to become a movie - thoughts? 70 5119 Feb 15, 2018 06:47PM
  • City of Women
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
  • Glory over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House
  • Lost Wife
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • The Firebird (Slains, #2)
  • Lilac Girls
  • The Things We Cherished
  • The Lake House
  • The Time Between
  • When We Were Strangers
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and Th ...more
More about Kristin Hannah...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: in love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” 714 likes
“Men tell stories. Women get on with it. For us it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over.” 320 likes