Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Information Folder > Group Related Comments, Questions or Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 407 (407 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3408 comments Mod
Post them in this thread!

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments Seems like you girls have been busy. :-) I like it so far, although atm I'm the only real member besides the mods. lol.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments eh, Becky did it all. Heather and I just watched.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments we're trying to keep it pretty small and low key though, at least for now. So 4 whole members is a-okay with us :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the group picture! It is so perfect! :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Linda Grace wrote: "I love the group picture! It is so perfect! :)"

I love it! I want a print of it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it's so awesome!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments that is so bizarre...I KNOW Becky made a thread for it here in general...

hmm. I'll make another one. I think she had decided to do that instead of a whole folder.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments well, in the fantasy group they make a whole thread for each book they post the opening paragraph to, I assumed that is what she meant.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments sure, you can ask or give recs in the Rec folder I would think...just start a thread either way

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments But H..if you think it makes more sense to have threads specifically titled "opening paragraph" and "page 42" then go ahead and make them!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments yeah, I like the three folders :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Do you want to make them?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments no they're good like they are :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments we need to change our dumb mod names now, LOL.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Heather wrote: "LOL! yeah I was laughing about that this morning. I don't mind tho...hehehe "

I changed that to yours last night :P haha.

message 18: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I got rid of the What are you reading folder because we have the discussion and recommendation folders, so I thought it was a bit of overkill.

I had a different thought for the Blurb folder, but it was super late and I was really tired, so it might not have been sane. ;P I like the three threads better.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments we like overkill :)

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Rec's could be for those looking and for those pushing. :)

message 21: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments I think it might be nice to have a folder with threads separated by time period so we know where to look for certain books.
Like, the threads could be:
HF about Ancient Times
Medieval
Celtic
The Civil War
Colonial Era
The World Wars
Russian
Tudor HF

etc, you get the point. :-D

message 22: by Becky, Moddess (new)

We were thinking of doing folders to differentiate, but there are just so many! So it seemed less cluttered to just discuss them without trying too hard to categorize, if you know what I mean!

message 23: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments Well, like I don't mean separate folders for each one, I meant like just one folder called: Time Periods or something like that idk lol creative juices!, and then inside the folder different threads.
I'm confusing myself, so I think I may just stop.

message 24: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL That's an interesting thought. I'll ponder on it a bit... :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments hmmm...April could be onto something. Maybe we could have something in the recs folder for specific time periods even? Then you can still have regular uncategorized individual book threads.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

ok... give it a shot

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments um...I don't know about that though. There would be a lot of threads :\

do you even think its a good idea? lol.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Allison, I like your idea.

message 29: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments For threads how about:
BCE books (before common era)
1-1000 AD
1000-1500
Medieval Times
1600-1800s
1900s

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments sounds good to me April, I'll give it a go.

message 31: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK... I also think maybe we should make a policy to specify time period/era/year etc in the thread title?

For Example:
"Gone with the Wind, M. Mitchell - Civil War"
or
"The Mists of Avalon, M.Z. Bradley - Arthurian"
etc...

What do you think? Hopefully this way we could use the search feature too... Right?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments ...change whatever you want Becky! I just wanted to get something started, but please feel free (I know you will).

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Heather wrote: "So, we're gonna use the time period threads for more general discussion, and keep the specific book threads under the "discuss amongst yourselves" folder? Am I hearing you guys right?"

that was my thought.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments what do you think H?

message 35: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm fine with that... I just don't want to get to the point where we're like:
"This is Civil War era!"
"No, it's pre-20th century!"
"NO! You're both wrong, it's semi-almost-late/late 19th Century, post-emancipation, pre-assassination!"

I don't want to nitpick or try to overly categorize things... I just wanna talk about the books. :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments LOL. I agree.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments anybody that acts like that is getting sent to the corner.

message 38: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 36 comments with a dunce cap?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments absolutely.

...so. watch out.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Wishbone doesn't play around.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments ...well actually, he does! hehe. I <3 Wishbone.

Anyway...I think we're clear. No snottiness. lol.

message 42: by Felina (new)

Felina | 447 comments Whats the story Wishbone?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments Felina wrote: "Whats the story Wishbone?"

*sings* kinda seems familiar, like a story from a booOoook...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I thought we might just be able to do that in the discuss amongst yourselves...start the book thread and ask if anyone is interested in reading it?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments we can wait and see what the head honcho thinks, lol. We're just minions after all ;)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments if we start doing several little "mini group reads" maybe we can just do a seperate folder for them altogether.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments yeah, that I think, is the beauty of our keeping the group private. Its intimate enough that we don't get bogged down with a million things at once, and we can kinda see what we're all interested in reading and read it together!

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 37 comments I know we don't want too be picky about dates but maybe in the Recommendations folder a little more division might be helpful to those new to historical fiction. Something like

1-999 AD (Ancient Rome, Dark Ages)

1000-1200s (Middle Ages)

1300s-1500s (Renaissance)

1600s-1700s (Colonialism and Revolution)

1800s (Civil War)

1900s (WW I and WW II)

This is pretty much a Western Civilization organization but it might be a way to start. Just a suggestion.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 246 comments I do think a relabeling might be in order...but I'll leave it for Becky this time :) she is the brains of this operation.

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... - Reading Buddies!

I'm not sure about the time frame relabeling... I can see both sides of that issue, but I think that people might get too caught up in trying to "fit" the book somewhere, or might just post it anywhere and make it difficult for others to find the rec because it's in the wrong place. Hmmmmmm....

I think maybe the years without labels might work.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9