Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > Pass The Parcel : Round 2 - Q&A/Announcements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 266 (266 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:03PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Please ask questions about the Pass The Parcel team challenge here. I'll try to summarise the questions and answers in these first few posts.

I will also announce the themes each Friday in this thread and keep track of those categories announced in this message.

Themes Announced:

Week 1: (7) Read the first book of a new (to you) series.
Key date: 27 November 2013
Week 2: (18) Book by an author whose first or last name starts with the letter 'J'.
Key date: 4 December 2013
Week 3: (12) Book with at least 450 pages per GR
Key date: 11 December 2013
Week 4: (19) MC has a pet (animal)
Key date: 18 December 2013
Week 5: (2) Set on a ranch/property which uses/raises horses.
Key date: 25 December 2013 (Merry Christmas!)
Week 6: (8) Main character is a musician (singer counts).
Key date: 1 January 2014 (Happy New Year!)
Week 7: (15) Book mentioned in one of the 2014 'What are you reading?' topics.
Key date: 8 January 2014
Week 8: (13) Book set on an island (must be an island off the coast from a mainland).
Key date: 15 January 2014
Week 9: (14) Main character is mega-wealthy.
Key date: 22 January 2014

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jun 20, 2014 04:30PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Q&A

About the Challenge

Q: I see in the directions that a theme will be called each Friday. Under what circumstances would I need to read more than one book per week? Just if I fall behind?
A: Yes. You will only be reading more than one book in a week if you are behind in your reading. However if you can use a 'pass' (option 3) during the challenge you could read only 7 books in 9 weeks. This will be entirely dependent on how your team works those 4 available passes in each 4 week block - remembering that there likely 6 team members in your team.

Q: Do we have to report anywhere when the team is done with a week's theme?
A: Each group will have their own thread, and members will post their progress there. Team Captains will summarise team progress at the front of their team thread. I will then maintain an overall progress thread for all the teams - well, 'modbot' will maintain it ;)

Q: Option 2. Select a book from the 'READ' list of a team-mate that they read in the last 6 months AND that the team-mate rated at least 3 stars. Can we have a firm date set for the full challenge, eg 1 August, to allow for planning?
A: No. The six months will recalibrate each week - you can't plan until you have your team and it is only 6 members whose shelves you can pick from. I'll provide the six month date each week to avoid confusion.

Q: Regarding the option to 'pass'. Do we have to decide that week who's passing or could we choose later on? Let's say that during week 1, everybody decides to read their book but once week 2 starts, one player realizes she cannot read week 1's book for whatever reason. Assuming that nobody else from the team passed, could she then decide to pass on last week's book?
A: No. The book selection or pass needs to be specified in the announcement week.
Further (NEW RULE) members can only change their book selection in that first week. Once the next theme is announced, books are set in stone and cannot be changed.

Q: Do the books we use have to be on a particular bookshelf?
A: In some cases yes. The themes that requires specific words in the bookshelf name must be on a suitably named shelf with those words. And themes #10 'random book lists' and #20 'romantic-suspense' are absolute and the books MUST come from those shelves. Otherwise the book can qualify because it fits the description in other ways, eg from the GR summary or title.

Q: Must people follow the format you provided exactly? Or does the captain just need to make sure they include pertinent info? Week, book, # of pages, option and in the case they pick a shelf/listopia, a link to that?
A: I absolutely need the information requested here. I don't mind what the format is, although I would prefer it set out in the order of the list.
A link or bookcover MUST be used. You cannot just type out the book title.

The reasons:
* If you don't have the link to the book, the Captain and I will have trouble checking that the book qualifies. There are a lot of books out there with the same title. You don't want to be told AFTER you have read the book that it doesn't work.
* I need the week that the book relates to since some books may be read out of order.
* The page numbers makes it so much easier for everyone to know that the books complies with the rules.
* The same for the bookshelf link or the qualifying note referencing the GR summary (ie how it qualifies for the theme).

I think it is important that the members do their bit to help out the Captain and the organizers to show compliance without us having to go digging :)

Q: When you say "the Captain will also double-check that your book selection complies with the rules": Does this mean that if team-members say 'book is in this shelf' the captain must verify that the book is actually on the shelf? And that if they say the theme is in the GR summary, we also have to verify that?
A: I don't want the Captain to be a policeman but we do need someone in each team following how the rest of the team is progressing. If the info provided by the member looks reasonable to the Captain, fine - there is no need to investigate each link or how the book qualifies.
But if we are reading a theme and the book selected looks dubious for that theme or how it qualifies, I would like the Captain to check it out further.

Q: What is the precis?
A: The precis is the blurb on the back of the book cover; the summary; the synopsis. Any of the details that are posted on the GR book description page will qualify.

Q: My book doesn't have a page count on Goodreads but I have the word count. Can I use the word count and what is the minimum acceptable?
A: Yes - a 35,000 minimum word count will be accepted as a substitute for the 100 page minimum. Because the word count to page conversion varies greatly, I have gone at the high end for this conversion.

Q: My book doesn't have a page count on Goodreads but Amazon does have a page count. Can I use Amazon's page count?
A: Yes

Q: If I read two books during the challenge that qualify for an announced theme, does our team earn more points?
A: No. We don't actually accumulate points in this challenge. You and your team-mates either complete all your reading and are ready to 'read-off' in the last week (week 9), or you aren't...

Q: If a team member is going to be away during the week of a theme, can they leave a list of pre-selected books (for all remaining themes) with the Team Captain to post that week?
A: Yes. If the team member has already highlighted that they will be away for a particular week, or has an operation etc, I am happy for the Team Captain to post that participant's book selection post. They must have pre-selected a book for that theme though.

The alternative is for the absent member to pre-select a book that complies with option 2, taking into account the 6 month date that will apply during that week.

Q: If a team member is reading a book in another language, should they post the book link in the selection & completion posts to the non-English version or to the English version?
A: Please link all books to the English version of that book. The book MUST have an English version to qualify for use during this challenge. (Apologies to everyone that is affected by this rule, but I need to know that the book qualifies for the theme etc.)

Q: Are re-reads allowed?
A: Yes. But only once during the challenge.
However, if the theme specifically excludes a re-read, eg First in a new (to you) series, then you must select a book you haven't read before.

Clarification:
You can't read the same book twice during the challenge. Re-reads are fine but only once during the challenge. And a new book cannot be reread during the challeng.

Q: Does the book have to be a romance?
A: No, but it does have to be a novel. Text books will not count. Biographies and autobiographies are OK.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 28, 2014 07:14PM) (new)

About the Themes - listed here

Q: Will any of the themes be repeated?
A: No, not for this round, nor any rounds in the balance of this year.

Q: Do we have to support that the book shows up in that particular shelf (eg showing you a link of how many people shelved a particular book as 'grief') or just saying 'it's in the grief shelf' would suffice?
A: You must provide a link to that shelf within your selection book post.

Q: What happens if a book is mis-shelved?
A: If books have been incorrectly shelved, they still count for that round. (I would appreciate them being removed if it is an RRRC shelf AFTER the round is finished.)

'Themes must be apparent in the title, the goodreads summary page or must be shelved by a GR member using words that show eligibility.'
Q: 'must be shelved by a GR member' - Does this mean on the RRRC group bookshelves, or any bookshelf?
A: The shelf can occur anywhere on goodreads. Not just in the RRRC group. This rule however does NOT apply for themes #10 (random book lists) and #20 (romantic suspense) - any book chosen for those themes MUST come from the linked shelves.

Q: Does the book HAVE to be on a bookshelf?
A: No - if the book clearly qualifies through it's summary or GR description page, then that is sufficient. You DO need to note this though in your 'selection' post. Eg: you would note 'Theme matched in the book precis/summary' or similar.

Q: Are listopia lists sufficient for proof of eligibility?
A: Listopia will work for eligibility where it's name is apparent and correlated to the theme. Please check for any clarifying rules for each theme as it is announced.

Q: #8 - Book cover predominantly black (at least 50%). Can we use alternate edition covers of the same book?
A: The cover should match the version/edition of the actual book you are reading. If the version you are reading doesn't have a cover loaded on GR or the cover has changed since you put the book on your shelf, please use the closest match to your cover.

Q: Can I add books I haven't read to the Romantic Suspense shelf? Is there a group guideline for adding to the shelves?
A: Yes. You can add books you haven't read to any of the RRRC shelves where eligibility is clear eg. YA, shapeshifter, sci-if, audiobook, etc. If you aren't sure, don't add it.

Q: Do you have a definition for Romantic Suspense?
A: Not specifically - please use your common sense, but I would expect an element of uncertainty for the MCs in the plot.

Q: Book length - Some books straddle the page minimums depending on format (eg at least 450 pages and all books must be at least 100 pages). Can I choose, for example, to use the paperback page count per goodreads even though the hardback page count for the same book does not qualify?
A: Yes. Using the theme 'at least 450 pages', if there is a goodreads edition that cites over 450 pages (any edition), you can use that book for that theme regardless of which edition you actually read. That is, the book you read may be only 435 pages, but there is a hardcover at 452 pages - the book qualifies for the theme.

Q: When the themes are announced is there going to be listopia or Readers shelves suggested to help us pick?
A: No. I won't be posting any possible lists for members to check out with the theme. If I find lists that match that theme in title/intent then I'll post them in this thread, and would suggest that anyone else who comes across appropriate lists/shelves does the same :)

Q: #1: Main character is royalty - Does it need to be related back to a human monarchy? When you say 'in name', would the person with the name 'King' count?
A:
* For 'royalty' I will accept any terminology that also equates to 'ruler'. It does not have to be 'human' as such. But the main character needs to be the top of their ruling class and does not answer to another higher power.
* If an MC is known by a name such as 'King', the book can be used for this theme.

Q: Do the 'random lists' for theme #10 change?
A: Yes and No - these lists are used and maintained by Yz and other 'randomizers'. The first three lists are static lists; '151-200 random book list' is a work in progress and will have books added to it each week. Participants in the PtP are NOT to add books to these lists.

There are nearly 2,000 books on these lists and from all genres. I would expect that you should be able to find something to read there.

Q: if themes #10 or #20 are called, does the 100 minimum page count still apply? There are some books with less than 100 pages.
A: Yes - the 100 page minimum still applies.

Q: What Are You Reading? (WAYR?) threads:
A: Here are the links to the WAYR? threads:
2014 May - What Are You Reading?
2014 April - What Are You Reading?
2014 March - What Are You Reading?
2014 February - What Are You Reading?
2014 January - What Are You Reading?

Q: Can I post my own books in the thread(s) and then select one of those books if the theme is called?A: Yes. You can add up to 5 books that you intend to read in a post in the current (or future) WAYR thread. You can go into the archived WAYR threads and add books that you have already read if you wish.

The WAYR threads are open discussion threads that anyone can post in.

Q: How many books need to be in series to count?
A: If the author recognises the series on their main GR page under their bio etc, then the series will count.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Just in case...

message 6: by Susan A (last edited May 05, 2014 05:28AM) (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Questions:

Adding to the Romantic Suspense Shelf
1. Does the group have a specific definition for this? Or just use common sense when adding books?

2. Can I add books that I have not read yet if the GR plot description makes it clear that it fits? For example, I read Long Time Gone and Catch a Ghost by SE Jakes. I think these can be classified as romantic suspense. The 3rd book,Daylight Again, is due to be released this month. Can I add it even though I haven't read it?

Theme #5
Book mentioned in one of the 2014 'What are you reading?' topics. (I will post links in the Q&A.)

1. If I go to the list and state what I intend to read for the month, others can choose those books. However, I am assuming that I can't. Is that correct?

2. Can I go to the previous months (Jan - Apr) and post what I read in those months? This won't help me, but maybe it will help others.

3. Who should I ask if I'd like to check a book before adding it?

Random Lists
Do these list change? I found a book I would like to read on the list - -will it stay there throughout the course of the challenge?

I apologize for nagging you with questions. I really enjoyed the challenge last time and would like to sign up again. However, I have to come to realize how incredible picky I am with my reading chocies. I am trying to make sure I don't put myself in a position where I am irritated about reading something I really don't want to read in order not to let my team down.

Thanks Jane(PS) for the work that you do in running this challenge. It is truly appreciated.

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Hi Susan - sorry been at work for Mon & Tues and now have relations around. Will try to answer yr questions soon :)

message 8: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 07, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Hi Susan! Answering your questions in order:

Romantic Suspense
1. I don't have a specific definition of 'romantic suspense' - please use your common sense, but I would expect an element of uncertainty for the MCs in the plot.

2. If the GR summary/precis indicates that the book will fit the sub-genre (Rom-Sus) then I am happy for you to add the book to the shelf.

What Are You Reading? (WARY?)
1. Any book that appears in those posts in the thread, whether you or someone else has posted them there will count. If/when this topic is selected, you will need to post the 'WAYR?' link to your selection post.

You may post as many books that you have already read in these threads as you like.

You can NOT post more than 5 (five) books that you intent to read in the future in each post in the WARY thread. To clarify: you can post multiple comments with 5 books in each post in the WARY? thread.

2. Yes - you can add books that you have read in prior months to the 'archived' WARY? reading.

3. Please ask me if you have any queries regarding books that wish to post into these threads if you aren't sure.

Random Lists
1. These lists are always being added to by Yz and the other readers who participate in the random booklists. Past books that have been posted to the random booklist thread should never be removed. (These lists track books that have already been used as I understand it - this is why we can't just add/remove book from these lists :)

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Susan - your post in the May WAYR thread is fine. I like the unobtrusive manner in which you have put your books 'to read' in :)

For others, this is Susan's post:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

For future post, just limit the 'to reads' to 5 books.

message 10: by Susan A (last edited May 07, 2014 05:02PM) (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Susan - your post in the May WAYR thread is fine. I like the unobtrusive manner in which you have put your books 'to read' in :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/..."

Jane - -thanks so much for answering all of my questions. If you'd rather I edit that May WAYR post, it's no problem. I read a miniumum of 40 books/short stories per month, so I'll break it down into multiple posts, or just mention my favorites.

message 11: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Don't worry about it Susan. It is fine as is :)

message 12: by Ty (last edited May 07, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments Please remember to put ALL relevant shelves when you add books to the RRRC bookshelves. Several books have been added that were missing M/M shelf.

message 13: by Susan A (last edited May 07, 2014 06:35PM) (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Ty wrote: "Please remember to put ALL relevant shelves when you add books to the RRRC bookshelves. Several books have been added that were missing M/M shelf."

That was me. I think I need instructions on how to add to your shelves. I was under the impression that I was only to add to the romantic-suspense shelf.

I will go back to the books I just added and click on every shelf that looks appropriate.

Are there guidelines for adding to the shelves I can read?

ETA - -I can see you already made the changes, so I'll just leave it alone. Do the books need to be approved before they go on the shelf?

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments No Susan - you can just add them, but just tick off all the applicable themes :)

Thanks Ty and Susan!

message 15: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments TY

I just added two more books to the group bookshelves.

message 16: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Susan A wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Susan - your post in the May WAYR thread is fine. I like the unobtrusive manner in which you have put your books 'to read' in :)

https://www.go..."

Hi Susan - I just realised that I wasn't completely accurate in the random-list answer. Assuming that these lists are being updated by the randomisers appropriately, the list '151-200 random book list' should have books added to it each week. But I can't guarantee that this occurs since I don't maintain it :)

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments I have a question. You say that a book can only be changed in the week of the theme and then its set in stone.
Do we have to choose our books ahead of time or can we choose them as the weeks theme is called?
I have a lot of other challenges and would like to make sure I can double / triple up if necessary.

message 18: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Hi Lisa

You choose the book when the theme is called (it doesn't have to be before-hand), but if you want to change that book for some reason, you can but only during that week. Once the next theme is called (7 days later), it is too late.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Thank you.

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments :)

message 21: by Lisa (last edited May 21, 2014 08:10AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Another question.
In the same week, can team mates read the same book for a theme, or do all books have to be different?

message 22: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Okay...prepare yourself for what may be a fairly stupid question.....

Starts with G....Can we ignore a, an, the? Or should the very first letter be G?

The Gentleman's Keeper

Gentle Warrior

Thanks

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Another question.
In the same week, can team mates read the same book for a theme, or do all books have to be different?"

Yes - you can read the same book. The books do not have to be different from your team mates.

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 21, 2014 02:17PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Susan A wrote: "Okay...prepare yourself for what may be a fairly stupid question.....

Starts with G....Can we ignore a, an, the? Or should the very first letter be G?

The Gentleman's Keeper

[b..."

Yes - you can ignore 'a', 'an' and 'the' :) This is why I put in a theme where they HAD to be used! They were getting ignored ;)

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Can I go back and add retrospectively to the 'What I read this month" threads from Jan to April?

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Yes. You can Lisa. Just no more than 5 books that you plan to read per post :) And as many books that you have read as you like.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Phew. I've just added Mays that I read and it was 35 so I'm glad you said as many as I like. Lol
I'll remember the 5 rule for what you are going to read. I think I posted 9 for that, but most will be read in the next few days.

message 28: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3440 comments Question: for theme #1 Royalty: would an illegitimate daughter of a King count? She's technically a princess, right?

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Eek - hard question. I'll get back to you in a few hours (after work)...

message 30: by Modbot (new)

Modbot | 94 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Question: for theme #1 Royalty: would an illegitimate daughter of a King count? She's technically a princess, right?"

Ok - I've done a bit of wiki research, and there is an instance of an illegitimate child in Spain becoming a 'prince'. And in earlier times, instances of them being recognised as Duke etc.

They do not gain the title of 'Prince' or 'Princess' normally however I will accept illegimate children of a King or Queen, but no lower.

message 31: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments If I'm using option 2, can it be a reread?

message 32: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3440 comments Modbot wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Question: for theme #1 Royalty: would an illegitimate daughter of a King count? She's technically a princess, right?"

Ok - I've done a bit of wiki research, and there is an in..."

ok, thanks!

message 33: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments Do we get the first theme early like last round??

puppy dog eyes photo: tumblr_li0xo7f6yP1qbbjg4.gif

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 354 comments Nichole wrote: "Do we get the first theme early like last round??"

That is too cute Nichole!! Hope it works :)

message 35: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments Jane likes the gifs! Maybe if we bombard her with them (hint hint) she'll cave :)

message 36: by Nichole (new)

message 37: by R~wka (new)

R~wka (r-wka) | 281 comments

message 38: by Nichole (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments ROFL...love the cats!

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1628 comments

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 27, 2014 02:12AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Lol! Will have check this thread out tonight when I get home - sort of lost on the iPhone ;)

Rereads are fine Breann, but only once during the challenge...

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 27, 2014 02:26AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Hahaha - those pics are delightful! Thank you everyone :)

I AM going to announce the theme for this first week early (Wednesday between 6-9pm US EST), like last time. All future themes will be announced on the Friday though :) (Can't break with a new tradition. ;)

For those teams still missing a team members (I think this is for only 2 teams - The Six Crazy Amigos and Team Onederful), we'll leave the check-in 'open' until the second theme is called - the missing team members will be required to have selected their book for week 1 along with all the other members... Otherwise I will have to remove them from the challenge.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Awesome sauce! Thanks, Jane! This should be a blast!

message 44: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin (sakuchu) | 137 comments Can't wait to see the first theme :)

message 45: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments We can start reading as soon as the theme is called, right? We don't have to wait until Friday to start?

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments That's right Logan - you'll have 9 days to read the first book & you can start as soon as I've announced the theme and you have chosen yr book :)

message 47: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments Just anxiously awaiting the announcement of the first theme

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments How many hours for the announcement?

message 49: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments It should be in approx. 2 hours (but up to 5 hours)

message 50: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Thanks Nichole - was wondering myself ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6