Dare to Dream discussion

Seasonal Reading Challenges > SPRING 2016 READING CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Mar 03, 2016 12:44AM) (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Please post all questions, comments & updates about the spring 2016 challenge in this thread :)

The Spring 2016 Reading Challenge will start on March 3, 2016 and end on May 31st, 2016.

Rules of the challenge:

read 3 books (or more)
complete 3 tasks (or more)
books can be any genre
re-reads are ok

So this spring, complete 3 (or more) of the following tasks:

1. It's tax season, so this spring:

READ A BOOK WITH THE LETTERS I-R-S IN THE TITLE (these letters don't have to be in order)

2. April is Fair Housing Month, so this spring:

READ A BOOK WITH THE WORD "HOUSE" IN THE TITLE

OR

READ A BOOK IN WHICH A HOUSE PLAYS AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN THE STORY

3. April 7th is a Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Rwanda Genocide, so this spring:

READ A BOOK (SET AT LEAST IN PART) IN AFRICA
(doesn't have to be set in Rwanda)

4. April 18 is the Boston Marathon, so this spring:

READ A BOOK (SET AT LEAST IN PART) IN MASSACHUSETTS
(doesn't have to be Boston)

5. May 13th, 2016 is a Friday.
In 1980, the movie Friday the 13th was released in theaters. For those unfamiliar with this popular horror movie franchise- A boy named Jason drowns and later camp counselors drop like flies. So this spring:

A. READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER NAMED JASON
OR

B. READ A BOOK BY AN AUTHOR NAMED JASON
OR

C. READ A BOOK IN WHICH A CHARACTER DROWNS
OR

D. READ A BOOK IN WHICH A CHARACTER IS SAVED FROM DROWNING
OR

E. READ A BOOK PUBLISHED IN THE 1980'S
OR

F. READ A BOOK SET IN THE 1980'S
OR

G. READ A BOOK ABOUT THE 1980'S

6. May 25th is National Missing Children's Day, so this spring

READ A BOOK IN WHICH A CHARACTER GOES MISSING (the character can be any age)

7. Random Task-This task counts toward the challenge but is not inspired by the season. So this spring:

READ A CLASSIC

HAPPY SPRING, EVERYONE! :D

message 2: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Once again another great challenge!!

When I saw the "House" part of the challenge, thought of "House of Leaves". Reading that book once is enough for me!!

Happy Spring!!!
Happy Reading!!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Danell wrote: "Once again another great challenge!!

When I saw the "House" part of the challenge, thought of "House of Leaves". Reading that book once is enough for me!!

Happy Spring!!!
Happy Reading!!"

Thanks, Danell! :D

House of Leaves was an experience for sure -once was definitely enough lol

Happy Spring! (hope your allergies aren't too bad when everything starts to bloom)

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2528 comments Mod
Thank You Rachel :-) We all appreciate you doing this :-)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments You're welcome, Dustin. I love this group :)

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well, I think everyone should be able to find some way to meet task #5 Ha Ha :-) I love the 80s and 13 is one of my Lucky Numbers :-)

I was thinking of a title I read during the Winter Challenge which would meet "Saving a Character from Drowning" or "Character Goes Missing". I enjoyed the book, so if you're looking for a title here's one (also works for IRS):
Learning to Swim
Learning to Swim (Troy Chance, #1) by Sara J. Henry

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Well, I think everyone should be able to find some way to meet task #5 Ha Ha :-) I love the 80s and 13 is one of my Lucky Numbers :-)

I was thinking of a title I read during the Winter Challenge w..."

Thanks for the recommendation, Dustin :D

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 736 comments Another great challenge!!! I saw "house" and thought of House of Leaves too. It gave me a little shiver, never again. I'm going to readThe Maltese Falcon as my classic.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Christine wrote: "Another great challenge!!! I saw "house" and thought of House of Leaves too. It gave me a little shiver, never again. I'm going to readThe Maltese Falcon as my classic."

Glad you like it, Christine! :D

I've been meaning to read The Maltese Falcon for a long time. I'm hoping to read a classic for the challenge too-I was thinking about Travels with Charley: In Search of America-Steinbeck, his dog and a road trip sounds pretty good to me. It's also short and there's an audio book with Gary Sinise :D
However, I've never read The Great Gatsby so that's another option for me.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments I was wondering if anyone in the group has ever read any books by Octavia E. Butler? I recently heard about one of her books in another group and the book sounded great-a mix of historical fiction, time travel and suspense-might use it for the character saved from drowning task

Kindred Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

message 11: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments I dont think there is going to be very much for me this time... I am going to start reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King since I saw an article about the movie coming out early next year... They are big books and I know how I have been lately with reading. I do as always have ideas for books that would match though.

1)The Gunslinger
2)Black House Or The Amityville Horror
3)No idea
4)No idea
5) The Drawing of the Three
6) No Idea
7) Fahrenheit 451

So I ended up getting two of my books on the list. Maybe more once I get to them?

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Josh wrote: "I dont think there is going to be very much for me this time... I am going to start reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King since I saw an article about the movie coming out early next year....."

Thanks for the update, Josh! I do think you'll find more books that fit the tasks as you read- I did a quick look at your bookshelf and saw you have Kiss the Girls on your tbr-that works for the character goes missing task-actually many mysteries/thrillers will work for this task.

As far as set in Massachusetts -again some mysteries- Dennis Lehane comes to mind but there are others. Also many stories about witches tend to be set in Salem which also works for the Massachusetts task.

Hope this helps. Happy Reading :)

message 13: by Josh (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:22PM) (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Rachel wrote: "Thanks for the update, Josh! I do think you'll find more books that fit the tasks as you read- I did a quick look at your bookshelf and saw you have Kiss the Girls on your tbr-that works for the character goes missing task-actually many mysteries/thrillers will work for this task."
That does help actually. Thank you! =D

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Josh wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Thanks for the update, Josh! I do think you'll find more books that fit the tasks as you read- I did a quick look at your bookshelf and saw you have Kiss the Girls on your tbr-that w..."

You're welcome :)

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

FYI: The Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group Read for March is The Door to December. This book was written in the 80's and would work for the Spring Challenge if anyone is interested in crossing over and participating in two groups at the same time (if you don't already) Thanks :-)

The Door to December by Richard Paige

message 16: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Another FYI Dean Koontz Cross-Over Opportunity:

There is currently a challenge in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group to re-read the entire Odd Thomas Series in 2016 - The Graphic Novels are Supplemental Options for this Challenge. All three of the Odd Thomas Graphic Novels would fit into the Dare to Dream Spring Reading Challenge with "IRS" in the title and "House" in the title. This is a fun way to increase your reading goal :-) I will be re-reading all three in the near future and they are likely available through your public library.

In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1) by Dean Koontz Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2) by Dean Koontz House of Odd (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #3) by Dean Koontz

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Thanks for the info, Dustin! Always glad when books work for both groups :D

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 736 comments I read a book with House in the title, American Housewife: Stories, clever short stories that will make you laugh out loud.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Christine wrote: "I read a book with House in the title, American Housewife: Stories, clever short stories that will make you laugh out loud."

Thanks for the update, Christine! Glad to hear that collection is a good one- I was thinking of picking it up :D

message 20: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "..... clever short stories that will make you laugh out loud."

I'm Interested :-)

message 21: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 46 comments For a book with "house" in the title I am currently reading Desperate HouseDogs and I usually have two books going at the same time; IRS am reading Imperfect Strangers

Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1) by Sparkle Abbey Imperfect Strangers by David M. Staniforth

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Karen B. wrote: "For a book with "house" in the title I am currently reading Desperate HouseDogs and I usually have two books going at the same time; IRS am reading Imperfect Strangers

[bookcover:Desperate Hou..."

Thanks for the update, Karen! :D

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments another great challenge
hope you are all well i haven't been on awhile. My Boots passed away feb 16th he was 17. work is busy and lots of dr appts for me but i will try this challenge

message 24: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 46 comments My book for a book written in the 80's is The Door to December by Dean Koontz which I just finished. The Door to December by Richard Paige

message 25: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenn wrote: "another great challenge
hope you are all well i haven't been on awhile. My Boots passed away feb 16th he was 17. work is busy and lots of dr appts for me but i will try this challenge"

Sorry to hear about your cat :-(

message 26: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Karen B. wrote: "My book for a book written in the 80's is The Door to December by Dean Koontz which I just finished. The Door to December by Richard Paige"

Hell Yes! I will be reading that one too!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Jenn wrote: "another great challenge
hope you are all well i haven't been on awhile. My Boots passed away feb 16th he was 17. work is busy and lots of dr appts for me but i will try this challenge"

So sorry Jenn- sending you hugs

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Karen B. wrote: "My book for a book written in the 80's is The Door to December by Dean Koontz which I just finished. The Door to December by Richard Paige"

Thanks for the update, Karen! :)

message 29: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 46 comments Jenn wrote: "another great challenge

oh Jenn, so sorry to hear about Boots' passing. My Phil is 17 and I can only imagine how you feel.

message 30: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Mar 16, 2016 07:05PM) (new)

As part of the Winter Challenge, I read a book recommended by Danell Josie and Jack. I enjoyed it so much that I will be reading the second book by the same author as part of the Spring Challenge. Anyone interested in reading along is certainly welcome. As you can probably guess from the title, a person goes missing :-)
Last Seen Leaving by Kelly Braffet
Last Seen Leaving

message 31: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I am currently reading two titles that both meet the I-R-S task (that is probably the easiest task since it only has 3 letters to find in a title). I am enjoying both books and would recommend them both

Outliers: The Story of Success
Humans of New York: Stories

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Thanks for the updates, Dustin! :D

message 33: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 46 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "As part of the Winter Challenge, I read a book recommended by Danell Josie and Jack. I enjoyed it so much that I will be reading the second book by the same author as part of the Spri..."

Do you have to have read the first one to enjoy the second?

message 34: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Josie and Jack and Last Seen Leaving are completely separate novels, separate stories, different characters :-)

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments Thank you everyone for thinking of me when I was in mourning.
I love our little group, you guys are the best!!!

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (darkstarcassidy) | 257 comments #6 I will be reading The Church of Dead Girls by Stephen Dobyns
#2 The Haunted house The Haunted House (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading, #33) by Walt Disney Company

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Jenn wrote: "#6 I will be readingThe Church of Dead Girls by Stephen Dobyns
#2 The Haunted house The Haunted House (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading, #33) by Walt Disney Company"

Thanks for the update, Jenn! :D

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments finished The Blackhouse by Peter May - 2 stars :/

message 39: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Listened to 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1) by Dean Koontz , which works for #2 in the challenge.

message 40: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Danell wrote: "Listened to 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1) by Dean Koontz, which works for #2 in the challenge."

Good Choice, Kid :-)

message 41: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Rachel wrote: "finished The Blackhouse by Peter May - 2 stars :/"

No connection to the book by Stephen King & Peter Straub?

Black House

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Danell wrote: "Listened to 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1) by Dean Koontz, which works for #2 in the challenge."

Thanks for the update, Danell! :D

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Rachel wrote: "finished The Blackhouse by Peter May - 2 stars :/"

No connection to the book by Stephen King & Peter Straub?

Black House"

No connection :)

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 736 comments I'm back! I've been in New Zealand. Great trip! I didn't really read much on the trip except for the airplane trip back and forth, 12 hours each way.

One book I did finish is Digital Fortress which has I-R-S in the title.

I loved catching up on all your posts and what you were reading. I missed everyone.

Jenn, I was sorry to hear about Boots. Its tough losing our furry companions. Hugs to you!

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2894 comments Christine wrote: "I'm back! I've been in New Zealand. Great trip! I didn't really read much on the trip except for the airplane trip back and forth, 12 hours each way.

One book I did finish is [book:Digital Fortre..."

Thanks for the update, Christine! Glad you enjoyed your vacation-New Zealand must be beautiful.

Welcome home! Missed you :D

message 46: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "I'm back! I've been in New Zealand. Great trip! I didn't really read much on the trip except for the airplane trip back and forth, 12 hours each way.

One book I did finish is [book:Digital Fortre..."

How long were you in New Zealand?

I love Dan Brown Conspiracies :-) Have you read all his books now? Digital Fortress was his first I think.

message 47: by Christine (new)

Christine | 736 comments New Zealand is beautiful! I was there for 11 days this time, the last time I was there for almost a month. Already planning another trip!

I have read all of Dan Brown's books except Deception Point. Angels and Demons is my favorite. I love his character Robert Langdon. I always manage to learn something and I spend lots of time researching the places, art pieces, and history that are used as clues in these mystery/thrillers.

message 48: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 46 comments Deception Point and Digital Fortress were both different from his other works and I liked them too. I liked Inferno but had to read a short summary (and I do mean short)
of Dante's work to fully understand it.

message 49: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I enjoyed Deception Point. It's been about 11 years since I originally read it.

message 50: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Christine, I am glad you are back! Sounds like a great trip!

Will have to read Deception Point and Digital Fortress, enjoyed his other works that I have read.

Dustin, was going to listen to "Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub, but an audio book wasn't available. That book is still on my tbr. Tried reading it twice and will conquer it one day!!

I read Cujo by Stephen King which works for #5, E in the challenge. My sister in law and brother in law, mother in law, and my nephew and his fiance recently got puppies. Although they were not St. Bernards, I thought it fitting to read "Cujo" while visiting them and boiling sap for maple syrup. Good times, was a tad freaked out when I was alone and heard coyotes close by.

Happy Easter!
Hope everyone had a great day!!

« previous 1 3 4