Start by marking “Love You Forever” as Want to Read:
Love You Forever

Love You Forever

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  183,076 ratings  ·  4,863 reviews
An extraordinarily different story by Robert Munsch is a gentle affirmation of the love a parent feels for their child--forever. Sheila McGraw's soft and colorful pastels perfectly complement the sentiment of the book--one that will be read repeatedly for years.
Published September 1st 1995 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 1986)

·  183,076 ratings  ·  4,863 reviews

Anne
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Horror aficionados
Recommended to Anne by: Licha
You have to read this creepy little book!
Licha, thank you so much for introducing this little gem to me.
A-MAZING!

So, I gathered 3 of my kids (ages 7, 10, & 12) around last night, and told them I wanted to get their opinion on a book. (view spoiler) You can imagine their excitement when I pulled out a baby book titled Love You Forever. The room was practic
Kristine
Apr 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Love you forever, Stalk you for always . . . .

***Ok, in response to the haters: let me state that I do not mind one bit that many people have been touched and uplifted and LOVE this book. It just doesn't work for me. At all. And I'm allowed to have a different opinion that you.***

. . . let me say first that I understand this is an allegory about unconditional love between parent/child . . . but does this book come off a little creepy to anyone else?

1) It starts out ok . . . but about the time
Patrick
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hey parents, do you want to read a children's book that will make you cry uncontrollably from the third page all the way to the end of the book?

Well look no further, this is the book for you.

Honestly? It's a very sweet book. But get ready to do all the crying while your little kid looks up at you, with an expression that says, "Seriously dad, what the fuck? Do you need a tissue or something?"

Scott
Nov 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Creepy People
Shelves: children
I didn't hate this book because it was too sappy. I like sappy sometimes. Here's what I didn't like about the book.

Where do I even begin? How about the cover? The cover makes it look like it's some sort of book about potty training or something. Awful choice.

Secondly the illustrations are hideous. Simply hideous.

Now lets talk about the writing. Repetitive and long-winded. "I'll like you for always" is just a terrible phrase.

The overall general creepiness is another reason I didn't like this bo
babyhippoface
Feb 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Okay, I realize I'm in the minority here, and I will admit that the first time I read it I went, "Aww... she loves her baby." But then I actually thought about it, and was completely freaked out by this book. This woman USES A LADDER TO CLIMB INTO HER GROWN SON'S WINDOW, PICKS HIM UP OUT OF BED AND HOLDS HIM WHILE HE SLEEPS. Do I need to repeat the "grown man" part? We've got breaking-and-entering here, along with the fact that we never once see this woman tell her son she loves him while he is, ...more
Fabian {Councillor}
Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Fabian {Councillor} by: Anne
Obviously enough, I'm in the minority here, but this children's book is weird, creepy, disturbing and will probably give me more nightmares than any Stephen King novel ever did.

"Love You Forever" is, as the title indicates, about a mother who loves her sweet little baby boy forever, until her baby has grown into an adult and she into an old woman. I'm perfectly fine with the message that mothers (respectively parents in general) will always love their children and will (in most cases - sadly eno
Emily May
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Creepy.
Anne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not feeling the love, but I definitely am feeling the creeps.
I get the point - unconditional and everlasting love, hence the three stars. But that's just not how you do it man. I like what the book is saying, I just don't like how it's saying it. Maybe, just maybe, I would've appreciated this story more as a kid, when I saw the world through innocent and unspotted eyes, but now I know such words like STALKER, PEEPING TOM, OBSESSIVE CREEP, LOONEY. Nooooooo. I just can't overlook how disturbin
Alicia Krauchuk Fenton
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddos
I just love this book. It is a bit on the "unusual" side, but that is just Munsch for ya. I first read this my Freshman year of college. I cried then and I cry when I read it to my girls. It's the intergenerational, unconditional love of mother/son and then father/daughter that I feel a strong connection with. The mother's corniness just adds to the tenderness of the book. I am touched by the mother's love for her son, the son's love for his mom, and then the son's love to his daughter...a breat ...more
Rebecca Collins
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book..............
My earliest memory of this book is my mom reading this aloud to my two year old self, and crying as she finished the last few pages. Now im the one who starts crying whenever i pull the book out and stare at the waterworn pages.
Anyone who's read this book knows the words that the mother is constantly saying to her son as he's sleeping-
I love you forever
I'll like you for always
My baby you'll be.
My mom made a tune for those words, and I cant im
Dacia
Jul 09, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one - it's depressing
Shelves: youngchildrens
This is the only children's book I've ever read that stuck me as more depressing than "The Giving Tree". My mother gave me a copy just before my son was born. I read it once and promptly lost to book. I don't think I could EVER read it to my son. It's so.... well.. sorta twisted. Yes it's about love, but it seems so unrealistic, and morbid. I know one day my son will grow up and leave, and I'll get old and die, but I'd rather not dwell on the subject.

As a child I found books on this subject ver
Kiki
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First of all: this book will always have a special place in my heart. It means something to me and my own mother, and to be honest, it always makes me a little bleary-eyed and sentimental. So be warned, before you read this review, that it is coming from someone who loves this book for exactly what it is; a beloved childhood relic.

Gee. My, oh, my. What has happened to childhood innocence? I weep for it.

Who finds this books disturbing? Really? What's the matter with you people? Why ruin a preciou
Calista
I chose to read this book with what it was trying to get across and not literally. It is a weird book to take literally, which could be weird for a child reading it that takes things literally. It might scare the crap out of them. If you take the story as how irritating children are and you love them anyway, no matter what, then it is a great book.

It is weird to see the mother sneak into the kids room at age 9 and rock him, and I think it is supposed to be about the love you have for them.

I did
Bill
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
It reassures me to see so many people find this book as creepy and loathsome as I do. I know the lesson we're supposed to learn is that we never stop being the apples of our parents' eyes, but all I ever got out of it was that if you feel at all smothered by your parents, you better get used to it, because it will never end. Also, moms are inherently stalkery. And while I hope that wasn't the authorial intention here, I can't shake the feeling that maybe it really was.
Christina
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I cannot read this book to my kids without doing the 'ugly cry,' which, naturally, creeps them out... every single time.
Shaina
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edit: the moral of the story here is that growing up is necessary, endearing, and also bittersweet. You see a little boy grow up and the process repeated. It’s one of the more serious children’s books I have ever read. It’s something that is both good and a little depressing to think about.

Second time I have written this review.
Also, I think it says something about the toilet. We are going to inevitably to spend a lot of time there.
Circle of life.
**************

Ok. There was a review here wit
Fran
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be.

A lovely picture book sure to help you think back with some melancholy to the times your children (if you have them, of course) were little. Also a book I like to give as present to new parents. It seems to help them cope (at least momentarily) with some of the exasperating behavior of their little ones.

This is one of those rare books that manages to leave you sad but happy, all at the same time. A little
Jamie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was such a sweet book!

" I'll love you forever,
my baby you'll be"

A mother repeats this phrase to her son at night, continuing this as he grows up. Parents of even older children can relate. No matter how old they get, they are still yours and you love them.
This books shows that through good times and bad and has such a sweet, tender ending that should touch everyone's heart.

There is one part that is a bit disturbing with the mom even sneaking i
Terri
Feb 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
One star is too high for this book! I would have given it negative stars if possible. This is a story of a dysfunctional woman who only tells her child she loves him while he's asleep. He perpetuates the cycle with his daughter. The image of this old mother sneaking into her son's bedroom at night is just too weird, and the thoughts it presages of this man creeping into his teen daughter's bedroom someday are even worse! There are too many wonderful picture books celebrating familial love to was ...more
Kate Kerrane
Feb 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I continue to struggle with why so many people love this book with a fervor. Okay, it is nice that the son rocks the mother at the end. And yes, I'm sure that I will always have the feelings that my son is still my little boy who I will want to rock forever. And sure, I understand that the story is supposed to be metaphorical.

However, does the mother not understand boundaries? Clearly her son does not want to be rocked as an adolescent and young man and she has to crawl across the floor like a
Chantal ❤️
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ONE OF MY FAVORITE ROBERT MUNSCH OF ALL TIME!

I read this book way before I had kids. I was a student teacher in my first job and I had never read it before. I can't tell you what a rookie mistake that was!!
Oh boy did I cry!
I had to leave the room to compose myself.

That poem and those words will forever play in my mind:
"I'll love you forever,
as long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be!"

Just thinking about it and I'm getting emotional.
This story came out of left field
Carrie Cohen
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any parent
This is by far my absolute favorite book to read to or with my children. The first time, I could barely get through it, I cried so hard!
I still get misty eyed everytime I read it. Especially when the grown son carries his mother upstairs and rocks her to sleep.
I have to turn back to the page where grandma takes off in the station wagon, with the ladder hanging over the roof of the vehicle, whilst racing to her sons' house.
That helps soothe the waterworks.

Make a mental note to watch how the cat a
Penny
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: weirds-me-out
I really liked this book when I was a teenager reading it to a room full of 2-year-olds (I worked at a daycare when I was in HS). The kids really liked it, and when you discover something that causes a room full of toddlers to sit still for more then a minute you embrace it. Admittedly, as a teen, there were times when I would get a little choked up reading Love You Forever--teenage me was a bit of a sap.

Now this book just weirds me out. Remember: I'm a mother of three.

On the surface this is a
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
I don't know how to rate this star-wise because I really can see how creepy (a common word in reviews for it I've noticed) and over-sentimental it is, but I can also see how sincere and profoundly universal its message is. Two sides, same coin...for me.

I stumbled upon a review of this in which Michelle called it creepier than American Psycho which made me laugh and subsequently click on the book to check it out further. Then I suddenly recognized the book from my childhood and remembered my mot
Books Ring Mah Bell
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidsbooks
ok... i have to admit when i first read this, i was fully engulfed in post partum hormonal mayhem. thus, i sobbed.
i broke this out last night to read to my son (who is now almost 3) and while the story is still touching, it's a little creepy when the mom drives across town - in the middle of the night - to hold her 40 year old son on her lap and sing to him. hmm??? did his wife find that okay? cause that would warrant a serious conversation, possibly the delivery of some divorce papers. "look h
Melki
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidstuff, offal, horror
This book sky rocketed to popularity in the mid-eighties while I was working at B. Dalton Bookseller.
Oh, so many women came to the register clutching the title, weeping into their sodden tissues. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.

I'm glad to see several one-star reviews of this title. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me that I could not see the "beauty" in telling a child, "Someday Mommy will be old, and you will have to take care of me . . . JUST LIKE A BABY!!!"

*Shudder
Pooja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Mother's love is always the purest kind. I'm glad to have read this poem on my mother's birthday!

TL
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars *minor editing sorry*

My mom got this book for my four-year old niece Ally:

She loves reading with Grandma :)

Mom insisted I should read it as well, she said it was different than the ones they got Ally before.

A quick read, a very sweet story about a mother and her son, how she loved him no matter what. (The boy in the story reminded me of my brother a bit)

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always

my baby you'll be"

The last few pages of the story were very sweet,
Steph Sinclair
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I randomly thought about this book today, as I usually do every once in a while. My mom, awesome lady that she is, fueled my passion for books at a young age and this was one of the many books she purchased for me. Out of all of the books I owned as a kid, this is the one that I remember the best and read the most. It's been YEARS, maybe over 15, since I've read it and I still have vivid memories of reading this and crying.

In fact, I think this was the first book EVER that gave me all the feels.
Duchess Nicole
Boy, I'm a softie when it comes to kid's books. I can't even read this one out loud to my kids because I cry like a baby. Good thing they are willing to read it to me still. I remember reading this when I was a kid and it made an impact on me back then. The book is a whimsical explanation of just how much parents love their kids, and the power that comes with loving someone is how they love you back. Love is it's own reward in regards to parenthood...Great for kids of all ages, I'd think!!
Coffee Break: Love aphorisms say your oppinion 1 7 Apr 13, 2019 07:32AM
Play Book Tag: Love You Forever / Robert Munsch - 1* 17 25 Apr 22, 2016 02:00PM
Robert Munsch 2 11 Feb 23, 2016 01:23PM

• The Little Engine That Could
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Something From Nothing
  • The Mitten
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • Tacky the Penguin
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • Guess How Much I Love You
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
“I'll love you forever,