Start by marking “Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)

Alone

(Detective D.D. Warren #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  54,172 ratings  ·  2,354 reviews
Alone . . . Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge watches a tense hostage standoff unfold through the scope of his sniper rifle. Just across the street, in wealthy Back Bay, Boston, an armed man has barricaded himself with his wife and child. The man’s finger tightens on the trigger and Dodge has only a split second to react . . . and forever pay the consequences.

Alone .
Mass Market Paperback, 451 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Alone, please sign up.
Brenda If you ask this question, then you probably want to find a different book. It's a detective story, not a fairy tale. Like Monica said, not a kids' boo…moreIf you ask this question, then you probably want to find a different book. It's a detective story, not a fairy tale. Like Monica said, not a kids' book.
(less)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
6,008 books — 14,161 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
3,489 books — 4,641 voters

More lists with this book...

·  54,172 ratings  ·  2,354 reviews

Start your review of Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
Theresa Alan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audiobook. The female narrator did a pretty good job even when she had to imitate the voices of a cop trained as a sniper who kills a husband brandishing his gun at his wife and small son and when she had to imitate the voice of a pedophile released from prison after twenty-five years.

Twenty-five years ago when Catherine was just twelve years old, she was snatched into a van and survived twenty-eight horrifying days in a pit in the woods where she was either being sexually
Suzanne
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-donated
Tremendous! This is the series to read if you want to breeze through a book and be thoroughly engrossed. Did not want to put this down for one moment, and am very glad I discovered Lisa Gardner, much like my discovery of Harlan Coben. I started reading this series at number 3, and thought this was why I didn't feel a close affinity to Detective D.D Warren, but I think on reading this book, I have realised she must not be the focus of the series.

The character of Police sniper Bobby is very likab
Jonetta
Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge is called to a tense domestic disturbance standoff. He’s the trained sniper on the team and has the husband, James Gagnon, in his sights. Gagnon has a gun to his wife Catherine’s head and their young son is in the room. When Gagnon makes a threatening move, Bobby takes the shot that ends the standoff and Gagnon’s life. What was an on-the-job action becomes a nightmare for him when Gagnon’s powerful father, a judge, files criminal charges against Bobby.

Thi
Mo
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

While I enjoyed this one and it kept me on my toes, it didn't quite hit the mark for me. I wasn't really connected to any of the characters. Even the main male character, Bobby, had his shortcomings. It's an introduction of D.D. Warren and future books and even she didn't enthral me.

It is set in Boston, a city I love.

Sex scenes? Forget it. I think that might have been part of my problem. I love a bit of romance in my RS books.

It doesn't even have to be explicit sex scenes, just a lit
Jean
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lisa Gardner has crafted a fine psychological thriller in Alone. While I found myself immediately immersed in the drama, I got about 160 pages in, and I still wasn’t sure where she was taking me. It was that complex.

Bobby Dodge is a Massachusetts State Trooper who is a sniper called in as part of a crisis team to handle a hostage situation in a wealthy Boston neighborhood. From a window across the street, he sets up his rifle. He sees a woman, a young boy, and a man with a gun. As the man’s fing
Jane Stewart
I did not enjoy the characters, the plot, or the narrator. I wanted it to be over.

Gunshots are heard. Neighbors call the police who surround the house. Inside Jimmy is pointing a gun at his wife Catherine. Bobby is a sniper and member of the police SWAT team. He sees Jimmy’s face change, and he believes Jimmy will shoot, so Bobby shoots and kills Jimmy. Now Jimmy’s father James is suing Bobby. If James wins Bobby goes to jail. If James loses, he will repeatedly appeal because he is wealthy. He c
Fred
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
BookPage Magazine - January 2005 - Alone

This book is excellent & the flow took me by surprise when I compare it to many “police” movies & TV shows that I have seen...

In movie/TV shows, when Policemen come to a crime scene, with a abusive & threatening husband cornered, holding a gun to his wife/child’s head. If not “talked“down, the police “To Serve & Protect” may have to fight and/or shoot the husband....

In this story, Bobby Dodge is a Massachusetts State “Sniper” Trooper, only us
Erth
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
DNF dry and slow
Mike French
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the great reviews from my GR friends on Lisa Garner's work,I decided to try one. I started with ALONE. Very enjoyable and entertaining from beginning to end! Thank you GR friends for the recommendation.
Nicole Chinnici
I’ve read a handful of Lisa Gardner’s books in the past, typically at random when browsing for something to read immediately, and without care for whether they were part of a series or not. And although they were all installments in a series and I read them entirely out of order, each were easy to pick up and read as a standalone.

It was only after completing Station Eleven on audio, looking up narrator Kirsten Potter’s biography, and noticing that she has also narrated several of Lisa Gardner’s
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, riveting and exciting, Alone never lets up on its thrills and originality. Definitely a great crime thriller! :)
Michael
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
As a Lisa Gardner fan and in particular her detective D.D. Warren series this was such a thrill for me to read the opening book in the series. The story goes of Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge finding himself in a terrible position after he sees an armed man seemingly about to pull the trigger while pointing the gun at his wife and young son in their home. Bobby has only a split second on what to do and in the moment fires his sniper rifle and kills the man. Unfortuenly for Bobby the man ...more
☮Karen
One of the GR groups I am in voted to read this series together starting in November. I got a headstart on this one, having never read this author before. For being first in the D. D. Warren series, her part here was very small. I really enjoyed the main character, Bobby Dodge, a state police sniper who gets called to a domestic dispute and ends up killing the husband. D. D. in my opinion was not likeable, I guess I thought she was mean to poor Bobby as he was suffering the aftershocks of his fi ...more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
I read this book with my book pal Freda from " A Good Thriller" group. Freda chose this book for me from one of my shelves.

"Alone" is a enjoyable read,filled with action and a lot of twists. Very readable,well written,believable characters. If you enjoy thrillers,you will enjoy this.
Tonya
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved all the twist and turns of this book. it got my attention from the beginning.
Jim
This novel is identified as Book 1 in the Detective D.D. Warren series but she does not make an appearance until about one third of the way into the story. The central character in the story is Bobby Dodge, a Massachusetts State Trooper and sniper, who is called to a hostage scene at the end of a long day. A man is barricaded with his wife and child in their wealthy Back Bay, Boston home. In a split second, his hand on the trigger, he makes a decision. A decision that will forever change his lif ...more
Saylor
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. Without giving anything away in my review, I will say that there are many plot twists and it's almost like a game of Clue. As each chapter passes by you learn more about each character. You learn more about Jimmy and Catherine, possible motivations and grievances, you learn more about Catherine's in-laws and what they would do to avenge their son, and what the string they would pull behind the scenes for him.

You most sympathize with Bobby, who was just doing his job
Brenda
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thriller and Lisa Gardner lovers
Recommended to Brenda by: Michael
Bobby Dodge is a police sniper. He was called out to a domestic dispute in an elite area, where an armed man had his wife and child hostage. The neighbours reported shots being fired...

After Bobby was briefed, he ran to the top floor of a neighbouring house, where the bedroom window overlooked the subject's master bedroom, and the standoff was taking place. He followed procedure, reporting to his captain, identifying the subject through the scope of his sniper rifle...then made the split second
♥ Sandi ❣
3.5 stars First book of the 11 book D.D. Warren series

Hmmm. D.D.Warren barely shows her face in this book, even though the series is named after her. So I can only imagine that future books will be based on her and her cases.

There is a character in this book that I did enjoy, however. Former active alcoholic, former beat cop and current SWAT sniper, Bobby Dodge. He was the lead in this book and I hope a contributing player in future books.

Little did Bobby Dodge know that when he answered a dom
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
This was my first Lisa Gardner book. I was an instant fan. I remembered thinking "Wow! This book is really good and I can't think of what is it, but wow." The begining, middle and end kept you engaged and that's what I like about any new authors I come across. I don't expect all thier books to be perfect but I am glad this first book I read was good. Looking forward to more.
Shelby
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was just the end to an ordinary shift for Officer Bobby Dodge when he gets the call about a domestic dispute, where the husband had a gun with his wife and son inside their home. Bobby works for SWAT as a sniper, so he was close by and one of the first on the scene. He sets up shop and when he looks into his scope, he sees a man holding a gun and a woman holding a young child. Suddenly he sees the man smile and put his finger on the trigger. And in an instant, Bobby pulls his trigger and the ...more
Helen
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
I liked this. I was hoping to love it in ways that would leave me giddy, but the spark just wasn't there. So, no serious love connection, but it was still good, solid entertainment. It kept me interested and moved at the right pace when It got down to business. In the end, I enjoyed myself, and didn't feel bad about it.

I have no regerts, and I'll probably give the next book in the series a chance at some point. Still, I'm not overly eager to rush things, and I'll probably spend time with some o
Donna
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the first novel I've read by this author, Lisa Gardner and it is also the first book in her D.D. Warren series. And I have to say, I had no feel for who DD Warren really was at the end of this one because her role in this one was extremely minimal. This wasn't the DD Warren show, but more like the Bobby and Catherine show. However, it worked. I liked both Bobby and Catherine as MC's in this one.

A few things that I enjoyed:

1. The author has a gift for shifting suspicion. It was a ball th
Marty Fried
This book was good on several levels to me. There were some interesting characters, some likable, more unlikable, all flawed to various degrees. The main character in this story, a Massachusetts police sharpshooter named Bobby Dodge, is a mostly likable character that gets sucked into a hole after shooting a man who seems to be about to shoot his wife and possibly son. He didn't have time to think about it, and would be damned if he shot him, and damned if he delayed and allowed the woman to be ...more
Sue Coletta
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. SWAT team member, Bobby Dodge, is involved with a terrible shooting that leaves him disjointed, separated from his team and questioning his every move. The emotional arc he experiences is done flawlessly. And Catherine Gagnon's character also experiences an incredible change. The overall story was gripping, suspenseful and hard to put down. And the ending was amazing. I'd recommend this book to anyone wanting to sink inside the pages of a good book.
Karyn Niedert
Enjoyed discovering Bobby Dodge and D.D. Warren. Very happy to dive into this series. It seems I started it at one point, and then progress fell by the wayside. Too many wonderful books out there!

It seems that everyone has their own machinations and manipulations. The ending was not at all what I thought it would be. Gardner did a terrific little switcheroo at the end, the lovely kind of twist that keeps readers guessing.
Karen
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exciting book and start to Gardner's Detective D. D. Warren series, even though she only played a minor role in this book. This was definitely a page turner!
Alex is The Romance Fox
A good start to the series.

Fast paced, great character development with some great twists and "red herrings" that had me guessing right until the end.

Suzanne
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. It had a good amount of drama and the characters were great. It had me for a while trying to figure it out. I like though provoking books. Well done. I will read more by this author.
Sam Sattler
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing special or unusual in the plot, but the author is good at character development. That kept me reading to the end despite the feeling of having heard the story before...several times, by several authors.

• Fear Nothing by Lisa Gardner -- Summary and Review
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • MacNamara's Woman (Family Secrets, #2)
  • Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1)
  • Brandon's Bride (Family Secrets, #3)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
(1) mystery & thrillers, suspense

Lisa Gardner is a #1 New York Times bestselling crime novelist. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure and twisted minds into a streak of twenty-plus thrillers. Her latest, WHEN YOU SEE ME, comes out January 28, 2020 and features fan-f

Detective D.D. Warren (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #9)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)