Start by marking “Cujo” as Want to Read:
Cujo

Cujo

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  227,576 ratings  ·  4,839 reviews
Outside a peaceful town in central Maine, a monster is waiting. Cujo is a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, the best friend Brett Camber has ever had. One day Cujo chases a rabbit into a bolt-hole—a cave inhabited by sick bats. What happens to Cujo, how he becomes a horrifying vortex inexorably drawing in all the people around him makes for one of the most heart-stopping no ...more
Published June 6th 2006 by Plaza y Janés (first published September 8th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Cujo, please sign up.
Mariana Schneider No, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will …moreNo, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will make you feel sorry for him instead of hate. Makes me want to hug my dog.(less)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
148 books — 3,483 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,765 books — 5,386 voters

More lists with this book...

·  227,576 ratings  ·  4,839 reviews

Start your review of Cujo
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All King fans!
Original rating: 4 stars
Re-read rating: 5+ stars

It is great when a book is better than I remember! In fact, this may be my favorite Stephen King re-read so far.

I noticed that in general this book tends to get 3 to 3.5 star ratings. While I haven't dug too deep into why this is, if I had to guess I am thinking it is likely because most of this book is not about Cujo. There is a lot of really great extra storytelling and exposition beyond the rabid dog. And, again, this is just guessing, but I fig
Edward Lorn
Cujo is a hard book to read. It's a short book, but there are certain scenes that just gut me. And all those sections occur in the last 25 pages of the book. The first half of this book goes by rather quickly. Then Donna and Tad get stuck out at Camber's place and I simply do not want to continue reading. The first time I read this book was after having watched the movie. Cool enough flick. Slasher film with a dog instead of a masked killer. Survivor is the woman and her son. Rock on. I don't li ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars. Love book & movie!

Found two old school books of Cujo and one has pics!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG:
Dan Schwent
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
When a two hundred pound St. Bernard goes rabid, no one is safe! Who will fall to Cujo before the disease he carries finishes him off?

I'm just going to come out and say it. Most of this book feels like filler to me. I think King took what was potentially an award winning tale of terror and jammed as much padding into it as he could until it was one of his shorter novels. Basically, it's a fantastic short story wrapped in a soap opera I couldn't give two shits about.

That being said, Cujo is a rea
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Writing a review about Cujo is a little like reminiscing about being a teenager and listening to Black Sabbath.

Trying to describe it, and to put the experience in words, reveals the cartoonish elements in stark relief. But while being read, the novel is rich with storytelling and more complex than would seem on it's surface.

And like the best of Sabbath: It rocks.

Yes, it's about a town that gets eaten by a big, rabid dog, but King is able, and with some credibility, to tell a tale of modern par
Kerri
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of those books that's so well known and so frequently referenced that it's hard not to have some idea of the general story-- a rabid dog traps a woman and her kid in a car. It's a great idea. But there's so much more to it than that. For one thing, there's more going on with Cujo than having rabies. This book is set in Castle Rock, so it's never 'just' rabies.

I had a quick scroll through some reviews just now and it's seems quite a few people feel like there is a lot of fill
Carol
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.

"He always tried to be a good dog"..........

Put off reading this one for years bc it's a known fact something bad happens to a dog. But then, it came to me, one of my favorite KING reads is Pet Semetary and that involves a cat....my preferred furry friend.

So......as I hit about 100 pages in, was surprised to discover there's a lot more going on here than a story about five year old CUJO the dog, his unfortunate encounter....and his sickness. And aside from no chapter breaks, it is

Erin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That ending was a real gut punch. Stephen King usually doesn't do that but......

Holy Shit!

Cujo was written while Stephen King was in the depths of his alcoholism. Uncle Stevie doesn't even remember writing it and if you think about it he didn't write it his alcoholism did. Like Cujo, alcoholism is rabid dog that will stop at nothing in its mission to kill you. Like Cujo alcoholism is unrelenting and scary. Cujo is written almost stream of conscious there are no chapters.

I didn't expect t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Cujo, Stephen King

"Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine."

Cujo used to be a big friendly dog, lovable and loyal to his trinity (The Man, The Woman, and The Boy) and everyone around him, and always did his best to not be a BAD DOG.

But that all ends on the day this nearly two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard makes the mistake of chasing a rabbit into a hidden underground cave, setting off a tragic chain of events.

Now Cujo is no longer himself as he
Dan
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog owners and claustrophobics.
I'm guessing that many of you own or have owned a dog at some point in your life. And, i'm also guessing that you'd consider said dog to be loyal to you and part of your family. So, I ask you, can you possibly imagine what you'd do if your dog went rabid?

Pooch would lose his appetite. Start to become easily confused. Tired. His brain would melt and with that he'd forget about you. Forget the loyalty and love he held for you.

He'd feel intense pain.

In his eyes YOU would become the reason that he f
Zoeytron
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cujo is such a good dog, so why is he glaring and growling and grinning?  A crazy kaleidoscope of coincidences leaves a mother and her four year old son stranded in their Pinto in the dooryard of a shade tree mechanic on a dead end road.  Not just stranded, but trapped in the car.  A Pandora's Box has been opened here and there is nothing but misery to be had as a result.  The unrelenting heat, the desperation, the disbelief at not being able to protect your little kid is horrifying.

Monsters
Mario
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
The monster never dies.

4.5

Cujo was a book I thought I was going to like, but not be scared of it (I mean, how scary can a rabid dog be, really?), but boy was I wrong with the second statement! This book did scare me. It still does when I think about it. It even reminded me of Pet Sematary which is my favorite King's book, and that says quite a lot.

Cujo is a story about a Saint Bernard dog who one day chased a rabbit into a bolt-hole. The problem was that the hole was filled with rabid bats, and
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a creepy read, this is it. "Cujo" was written during a time in which Stephen King was doing drugs, and it was exactly for that reason that I wanted to read it.
Cujo is a cute, however big, St. Bernhards dog, who one day gets bitten by a rabid bat. This incidence turns Cujo into monster who longs for food and no one can feel safe around this formerly beloved dog.
The scenes with Cujo were nerve-wracking, but what I loved the most about this novel were the characters which we
Christy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who need to remember to love on their big dogs!
4.5* New movie version currently in production!

This book was so well written, the characters completely fleshed out, that it's very hard to believe King wrote this book so drunk that he doesn't even remember writing it! Wow! And to then win the British Fantasy Award...and (two!) movies. All I ever seemed to do when I was drunk was trash the house....and worse--hurt those who loved me closest (which is why, like King, I gave the stuff up over a year ago).

What a complete page turner--very hard to
Suzanne
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It might just be me but the novel Cujo is way more disturbing and intense than the film, Cujo. I was completely enthralled reading thus book. I kept letting the film characters (that I remember visually) play out in my mind to the novel. So glad I finally got around to reading this. I use to watch the film with my mom so it was nostalgic...in an odd maybe dark way. Lol.
~
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I can probably now clarify, that I'm a member of the Stephen King fan club. I literally devoured this book in a couple of days. If it wasn't for real life, I could have read it in one sitting. This book is a terrifying mind-fuck. Terrifying in the sense that the events that pan out in this story, in reality, they could all actually happen. There was nothing supernatural about this, it was all very real. Apparently Stephen King wrote this novel at the very height of his alcoholism, and it c ...more
RedemptionDenied
May 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Goddammit!! This is currently on offer: £1.99p in the UK, $1.99 in the US (I think - it's showing as $2.68 - probably because of the exchange rate). It's the same price for: Lisey's Story, Insomnia, 11.22.63 and Hearts in Atlantis, too!
✨Sumi's Books✨
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing...
Cujo is a good dog. He would do anything for his man, his woman and his boy. He would even die for them if it came to that. But when Cujo goes messing around and contracts the terrible disease rabies, he turns into a completely different dog. A dog that Donna and her son are about to meet face-to-face.
This is a very sad cautionary tale. Above all things that I say in this review, I pray that you take this one thing with you... PLEASE VACCINATE YOUR ANIMALS!! With that out of the way
Dannii Elle
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-hazes
First Read: 2014, Rating: 5 stars
Second Read: October 2019, Rating: 5 stars

The antagonist turns victim and the protagonists turns victim and that's where the real of the horror of this book lays. Good boy, Cujo. Good boy.
Rebecca McNutt
Having read this book years ago in the 7th grade (and told by my science teacher not to bring it to school anymore because the front cover artwork "gave her the willies"), I'm no stranger to Cujo. I'd also seen the film when I was ten years old. I guess back then I never really appreciated it. I thought it was silly... I still think it's a little silly... and definitely not one of King's better works. The book itself is quite random and vulgar with no real rhyme or reason to it, and I've heard t ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Gag.

I thought about just leaving that one word as my review. Or maybe adding "'nuff said" as they used to say in Marvel Comics when I was "younger". I thought maybe though you'd like more.

I hate it. This is one of those books I can't say enough about...enough bad that is. You like being depressed? You like looking for the worst? Your real life doesn't have enough CRAP happening in it so you want to add more??? Well, then you've found it. If you are the kind of person who says that novels should
Sandeep
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king, horror
Oh man!! This is King at his prime. Went into this book expecting a gut-wrenching horror tale featuring a monster dog terrorizing the people in the small town of Castle Rock. What I got was totally different. I was quite surprised to find out that majority of this book isn't about Cujo. There is a lot of really great storytelling and exposition beyond the rabid dog. The buildup was excellent. The characters felt real. The storylines were engaging.

This is some of King's best storytelling and char
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Even though I don't think it will spoil your reading experience, I have to warn you that there are mild spoilers ahead.

I wrote in my review of The Shining that it was the scariest book that I ever read. Well, that may be, but there the horror ended when I closed the book.

With Cujo, it started then...

--------------------------------------------------------

Every child is afraid of the monster that creeps upon him when the lights are out in the bedroom and mom and dad are safely ensconced in their
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
Oh Cujo.
I hated every moment of this book--wrestling with picking it up and putting it down over and over again. It took me a whole month to read despite it's slim size. At just over 300 pages, this is one of King's most trimmed down and edited books in terms of the storyline.
I was a freshman in high school when I first picked it up. My mom said to me, "Oh, Cujo? I don't think you'll like that one."
Meh. I probably shrugged and carried it off to my messy room anyways. That cover!
I honestly think
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is terrifying. More so because the important events in the story could all actually happen. They are real possibilities. This story would not work in today’s age of cell phones and constant communication, but for anyone with a memory of the way things used to be, it reads as all too possible. On a personal note, I have always kept a small box of water bottles and snacks in my car since learning to drive because of THIS book.

Any true King fan knows how he loves to tie his novels togethe
Paula
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
Cujo gets bitten by a rabid bat and the big friendly lovable Saint Bernard turns into a murderous beast. I really enjoyed this one a lot. I loved that Cujo's point of view was included. I couldn't help but feel for Cujo with all that happened to him due to circumstances beyond his control. I liked the small town setting of Castle Rock, Maine. The story was very atmospheric with an underlying tone of dread and apprehension throughout. Exciting, engrossing, bleak, sad, and very enjoyable.
Rob
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, horror
A horror story published 1981.

Cujo is a St. Bernard and a huge 90kg lump of good nature. That was until he was bitten by a rabid bat.
I’ve read a quite a lot of horror books over the years but this is the first book to give me dreams that I would sooner forget.
What makes this so horrific is the fact that it’s fully believable, maybe with a little bit of a stretch, but if you found yourself in the situation that our leading lady finds herself your bowls would loosen to.

As I was reading this in 20
Baba
Written in 1981, so another book verging on being a modern classic? Jeez Louise, how does a writer create such a terrific suspense and horror tale from the central point of a ST Bernard? Ask Stephen King - a great read that looks deeper and into the darkness of closets, dead ends, change, love and a big dog... a big rabid dog, Cujo!

One of Stephen King's most horrific early works (alongside Pet Sematary), this book sits firmly in the horror camp. A Castle Rock read. 8 out of 12.
Leo .
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bill
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All hail the King.

Since giving Empire Falls five huge stars back in March, I have had seven, count 'em, SEVEN DNFs out of the past 10 books I've started since then.
This was really starting to worry me. Was it possible that Empire Falls had such a hold on me that it would be impossible for anything else to hold my interest just because it wasn't that novel?
In exasperation, it was back to the Stephen King well, dipping back into those early ones I had never gotten to. I grabbed Cujo with mild rese
Horror/mystery books 1 1 Sep 01, 2020 05:56AM
Stephen King Fans: CUJO 112 617 Aug 21, 2020 06:27PM
Stephen King Fans: Cujo - book 12 82 147 Aug 21, 2020 06:26PM
We Read Stuff: Cujo - December 2019 2 8 Jan 03, 2020 12:33PM
Mentor Texts 1 3 Nov 13, 2019 11:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the total page number 2 14 Dec 06, 2018 05:48PM

• Thinner
  • Roadwork
  • The Running Man
  • The Long Walk
  • The Exorcist
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Misery
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Jaws (Jaws #1)
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Blaze
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Body

Articles featuring this book

Hollywood has a long-standing tradition of adapting horror novels into frightening films. From 1930s classics like Dracula and...
35 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The monster nevers dies.” 71 likes
“It would perhaps not be amiss to point out that he had always tried to be a good dog. He had tried to do all the things his MAN and his WOMAN, and most of all his BOY, had asked or expected of him. He would have died for them, if that had been required. He had never wanted to kill anybody. He had been struck by something, possibly destiny, or fate, or only a degenerative nerve disease called rabies. Free will was not a factor.” 47 likes