What are you reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,775 (2775 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 55 56

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4417 comments Mod
Share what you're reading with the group

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Right now I'm reading Laurel K Hamilton's June release for LibraryJournal her next Merry Gentry novel A Shiver of Light, really good but can't say anymore LOL ;)
Fans have been waiting 4 years for thisA Shiver of Light

message 3: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments I finished The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley right before Easter, which I loved. Now I'm reading Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "I finished The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley right before Easter, which I loved. Now I'm reading Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West."

Oh those both sound great April. Let us know how you liked the one you're reading now

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments I have finally started LJ Rose's Collector of Last Breaths. It is really good, so far.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading "The Baker's Daughter" by Sarah McCoy. The story alternates between past and present very similar to the style of Kate Morton, which I love.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Luv2read29 wrote: "Trying to get past page10 with GONE GIRL byGILLIAN FLYNN, alot of long hours at work since it is election time in ohio."

Sue that's interesting that you work long hours at election time. What do you do? If you don't mind my asking.
And Gone Girl is one book I just never could read. You know there are just some premises you read and you think na uh
But be sure and share with us how you liked it.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Tarheelgirl00 wrote: "I am reading "The Baker's Daughter" by Sarah McCoy. The story alternates between past and present very similar to the style of Kate Morton, which I love."

OOh another new to me novel and author, thanks for sharing TarHeelGirl

message 9: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1672 comments I just finished Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. Its the second book in her "The Others" series. And a different spin on the "Shifter genre". I enjoyed this series so much I also got the audio books to listen to in the car. Currently reading "The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Series" by Laini Taylor. Wow this is different to anything I've ever read before!! Fabulous world building!

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "I just finished Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. Its the second book in her "The Others" series. And a different spin on the "Shifter genre". I enjoyed this series so much I also got the audio bo..."

Oh I've heard of this novel Ang. Tell us what about it is different from other shifter novels. Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Luv2read29 wrote: "Trying to get past page10 with GONE GIRL byGILLIAN FLYNN, alot of long hours at work since it is election time in ohio."

Sue that's interesting that you work long..."

Wow Susan, you're kind of like a cpa right before April 15th and then once the deadline is over life goes back to normal. Thanks for sharing :)

message 12: by Intrigued (new)

Intrigued by Romance | 8 comments I started reading The King by J.R. Ward. I haven't read much yet, but I will start up again. I have read about 75 pages so far. The bad thing about reading is....you have to make time to sleep before you have to go to work.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Tina wrote: "I started reading The King by J.R. Ward. I haven't read much yet, but I will start up again. I have read about 75 pages so far. The bad thing about reading is....you have to make time to sleep b..."

Oh Tina that is on my wishlist. You must tell us how it is.

Right now I'm just Starting Before the Storm by Claire Ashgrove

Before the Storm by Claire Ashgrove

message 14: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1672 comments I'm currently reading "Burning Dawn" by Gena Showalter. Its a spin off series to her Lords of the Underworld Series. I think Ms Showalter lost her groove for awhile there, but I'm pleased to say it seems like she's back to where she used to be!! I'm really enjoying it so far Burning Dawn (Angels of the Dark, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 15: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1672 comments Debbie wrote: "Ang from OZ wrote: "I just finished Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. Its the second book in her "The Others" series. And a different spin on the "Shifter genre". I enjoyed this series so much I a..."

Well Deb, the difference being that the Shifters or "Others" as they are referred to aren't always nice to humans. They sometimes eat them!! "Anne Bishop" also creates extremely likable characters!

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Ang from OZ wrote: "I just finished Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. Its the second book in her "The Others" series. And a different spin on the "Shifter genre". I enjoyed this ser..."

Wow that is a new twist, thanks Ang.

I'm reading right now The Given the end of a terrific urban fantasy by Vicki Pettersson. I reviewed the first in the trilogy The Taken for LibraryJournal and really liked it. I noticed in the June edition of RT that the finale got a 2 star review and from reading the first two didn't know how it could rate so low a review So I asked the author for a copy and an honest review. Well It's fabulous and ties the whole trilogy up. So be on the lookout for both my review and my interview with Vicki

The Given (Celestial Blues, #3) by Vicki Pettersson

message 17: by Luanne (new)

Luanne I want to read The Given. It has been a great series so far.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Luanne it is a great series. What about it being the third in the trilogy? Do you think it would make it less enjoyable for those who haven't read the first two

message 19: by Luanne (new)

Luanne I like all of the back information so far with the first two books. So I would think a reader would miss somethings by jumping. But some authors do handle that so readers don't notice the missing pieces. I will check out your review of the Given.It's not near the top of my to read pile yet.

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Luanne wrote: "I like all of the back information so far with the first two books. So I would think a reader would miss somethings by jumping. But some authors do handle that so readers don't notice the missing ..."

In my opinion, for what it's worth I would certainly entertain the thought of reading together The Taken, but I think Vicki only gives readers so much background in the trilogy and I think readers who have't read the first two will suffer for it.
Deb

message 21: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1672 comments So I'm chiming in a bit late on this discussion, sorry for that! I just did a bit of research on this series. And wow it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. So I've marked "The Taken" as to read! One of the great things I have found since getting my Kobo ereader is that you can download a preview of a book to get a feel for it, and then if you don't enjoy it you don't have to waste your money buying it!!!

message 22: by Kamas (last edited May 10, 2014 12:59AM) (new)

Kamas Kirian (kamas716) | 804 comments I started Globalhead by Bruce Sterling last week at work, then forgot it at home when I took my daughter to gymnastics. So, I'm also reading Lost In Shangri La by Michael Zuckoff. Looks like I need to pick up Lost Horizon by James Hilton one of these days as well.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "So I'm chiming in a bit late on this discussion, sorry for that! I just did a bit of research on this series. And wow it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. So I've marked "The Taken..."

That is a real benefit Ang being able to preview a book, I know for the Nook only a few previews are available. Also I'll be interviewing Vicki Pettersson on the blog on Tuesday and she's offering a wonderful prize package so be sure and check it out.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Kamas wrote: "I started Globalhead by Bruce Sterling last week at work, then forgot it at home when I took my daughter to gymnastics. So, I'm also reading Lost In Shangri La by Michael Zuckoff. Looks like I ne..."

Oh wow Kamas it's been ages since I read Hilton's novel. In fact with my in person book club I always pick one classic a year and I think you just gave me my idea for 2015.
Looks like you've picked out some great fiction and non-fiction.
Thanks for sharing

message 25: by Debbie (new)

This weekend I'm hip-deep into my August reviews for RT, some great romance series and since I wanted some me time this month too I decided that's all I'm reviewing so this month I'll be reviewing only 14 books. whew kinda like a vacation :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2014 01:55PM) (new)

Little Girl Lost A Lucy Black Thriller by Brian McGilloway I am reading Little Girl Lost: A Lucy Black Thriller by Irish wtiter Brian McGilloway. Set in Ireland, DS Lucy Black is moved from a high profile case involving the kidnapping of a wealthy teenage girl to working a case of very young girl discovered in the woods. I am anxious to see how these cases intertwine!

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering I have just started The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving for my face to face book club. I'm not too far into it yet to give an opinion yet except that it seems to be an easy (not cumbersome) read.

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Thanks for sharing TarHeelGirl and Pamela
I'm starting my read for my in person book club later this pm after I finish the read I'm on now.

fathermothergod My Journey Out of Christian Science by Lucia Greenhouse

message 29: by Debbie (new)

What is on everyone's weekend reading list

I'm going to try and get in a July release
The Winter Guest for early review for the publisher

The Winter Guest by Pam Jenoff

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering Currently reading

The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. Have just started it and only about 35 pages in.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee by Carolyn Brown. So far, it's a hoot!

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Pamela wrote: "Currently reading

The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. Have just started it and only about 35 pages in."

thanks for sharing Pamela, the only book of his I've read is My Own Country

My Own Country A Doctor's Story by Abraham Verghese

message 33: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "I am currently reading The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee by Carolyn Brown. So far, it's a hoot!"

Hi TarHeelGirl that sounds really good thanks for sharing :)

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering Debbie wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Currently reading

The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. Have just started it and only about 35 pages in."

thanks for sharing Pamela, the only book o..."

I haven't read that one. Would you recommend it? I have only read "cutting for Stone".

message 35: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments I just started The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I love her books and can't wait to see where this one takes me.

message 36: by Edie (new)

Edie | 29 comments I'm about half-way through The Golem and the Jenni by Henele Wecker. Although these are fantasy characters, the book reads like a sepia-toned daydream. The story is funny, touching, tinged with sadness and lost innocence of times long past. (Gosh, I guess I like it!) I'm also reading two short-story collections for my local book club--The Tenth of December and Dear Life.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "I just started The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I love her books and can't wait to see where this one takes me."

Hi April how are those precious girls doing?

Hmm you know I've tried to read her several times and there is just something too depressing to me about her novels. Maybe it was because my husband was very ill last time I tried one and maybe now I could actually like one. Maybe it's time to try again

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Edie wrote: "I'm about half-way through The Golem and the Jenni by Henele Wecker. Although these are fantasy characters, the book reads like a sepia-toned daydream. The story is funny, touching, tinged with s..."

Gosh I guess you do! Sounds really good. I love fantasy. Thanks for sharing Edie!

message 39: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 205 comments I am currently reading Wolf Hall and The Sign of Four. Next I think will be Death Comes to Pemberley to prepare for the Masterpiece Classic/Mystery coming out on PBS in Fall 2014.

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Ruth wrote: "I am currently reading Wolf Hall and The Sign of Four. Next I think will be Death Comes to Pemberley to prepare for the Masterpiece Classic/Mystery comi..."

Hi Ruth, looks like you're a fan of the classics, me too!

What is your favorite classic
and Welcome to the forum!

message 41: by Debbie (new)

Well gang its the weekend a Holiday weekend for most of us in the States So share what is on your weekend reading plate

I'm still finishing up my August reviews then I'm going to start reading for my publisher and author promised reviews one is a favorite author Tara Taylor Quinn and her new stand alone for MIRA The Friendship Pact and the other is a new to me author that the pubisher has requested my early review The Winter Guest

Those are mine now lets here yours!!

message 42: by Luanne (new)

Luanne I plan on reading Conversion by Katherine Howe. I really got hooked on this author from the First Read we did of her book The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. Then I might get to start my in person mystery book club read Blood Country by Mary Logue. But my nook is full of books if I need more. :-)

message 43: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 205 comments I picked up Maisie Dobbs #4 "Messenger of Truth" for the weekend. I'm not very fast, so likely, I won't finish, but one never knows!

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering Lots of rain here in Northern Colorado and looking at some possible flooding so I suspect I'll be in for the weekend and can't wait to tear into some books. Finished Abraham Verghese's "The Tennis Partner" which I really liked. I just opened Alice Walker's Meridian. This will be my first Alice Walker book.

message 45: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1672 comments I'm currently listening to Daughter of Smoke and Bone on Audio Cd in my car, been plagued with Migraines the last week, so no hard reading for me. So what better way to still get my book fix then to listen to them instead. Laini Taylor Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor creates a very unique story. I really loved the whole series.

@ Pamela, I hope the flooding isn't too bad.

message 46: by Debbie (new)

Luanne wrote: "I plan on reading Conversion by Katherine Howe. I really got hooked on this author from the First Read we did of her book The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. Then I might get to start my in perso..."

ooh Luanne I didn't know Katherine had a new book out. She was one of my last visiting authors at B&N when we read The House of Velvet and Glass so let us know how it was

message 47: by Debbie (new)

Ruth wrote: "I picked up Maisie Dobbs #4 "Messenger of Truth" for the weekend. I'm not very fast, so likely, I won't finish, but one never knows!"

hmmm love these chats because it gives me ideas and new books to consider. Thanks Ruth

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Pamela wrote: "Lots of rain here in Northern Colorado and looking at some possible flooding so I suspect I'll be in for the weekend and can't wait to tear into some books. Finished Abraham Verghese's "The Tennis ..."

Oh Pam I'll be thinking of you all in Colorado, spring is sometimes the perfect storm for flooding. How did you like the book?

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "I'm currently listening to Daughter of Smoke and Bone on Audio Cd in my car, been plagued with Migraines the last week, so no hard reading for me. So what better way to still get my book fix then ..."

Hi Ang, hmm another new book/author for me thanks for sharing

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "I just finished Blue RibbonJalapeno Society Jubilee. Now I am going to start Language of Sparrows byRachel Phifer."

Thanks Susan!

I'm going shopping :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 55 56