2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Kiwi’s 2016 challenges and book log

Comments Showing 1-50 of 286 (286 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 07, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Hello and welcome to my 2016 reading den!

This is the place to keep my 2016 reading log organised: challenge progress, book ratings and sometimes thoughts about the books I read, you’re welcome to comment too if you like.

Thanks for stopping by, and happy reading!

Order and date of Challenge completion: 20/20 - All done, bring on 2017!
1. Challenge 14: Times Gone By - 18 Feb
2. Challenge 13: Full House Reading Challenge – 24 Feb
3. Challenge ten: Book Riot's Read Harder challenge - 14 Mar
4. Challenge 11: Popsugar Ultimate reading challenge – 6 Apr
5. Challenge eight: TBR Slimming - 22 Apr
6. Challenge 16: 2nd Quarter Challenge: Award Winning Books – 13 May
7. Challenge 9: Recommended by Reading Challengers challenge - 30 May
8. Challenge 15: Second Quarter Challenge: Clear The Shelves - 12 June
9. Challenge one: Big and Small - 19 June
10. Challenge two: New To Me – 12 July
11. Challenge three: Recommended - 14 July
Page Challenge: 50,000 pages - 18 July
12. Challenge six: Famous people – 8 Aug
13. Challenge five: TBR Favourite Genre challenge - 20 Aug
14: Challenge 18: 26 books in 2016 - 21 Aug
15. Challenge four: Take a Chance - 24 Aug
16. Challenge seven: History – 3 Sep
17. Challenge 17 Bingo #2 – 12 Sep
Goodreads Challenge: 200 books - 13 Sep
18. Challenge 19: Family reading bingo – 30 Nov
19. Challenge 20: Popsugar Fall reading challenge on 5 Dec
20.Challenge 12: Genre of the month on 8 Dec

message 2: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 01, 2017 11:29AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Goodreads challenge and page goal ✔ Completed

Read at least 200 books - 13 Sep
Read at least 50,000 pages - 18 Jul

Year Summary

2016 was a great reading year, with 290 total number of books and 94,000+ pages read, the highest numbers since I started keeping track. Shortest book: 32 pp, longest 897 pp, average length 327pp.

It breaks down as follows:

Very short (under 100 pp) 16
Short (between 101 and 250 pp) 71
Medium (between 250 and 400 pp) 136
Long (between 401 and 600 pp) 54
Very Long (over 600 pp) 13

My top reading months have been February and October:

1 star (includes DNF): 4%
2 stars: 19%
3 stars: 41%
4 stars: 29%
5 stars: 7%

For me, a 3 star book is a good one, 4 one that I’d recommend, 5 stars is worth of a reread. 224 books were 3 stars and up for an yearly average rating of 3.2 stars. 2016 was a good year for reading!
74% of my reads have been by authors new to me, with a more or less equal split between male and female authors. I like to read a variety of genres, this year looks like this:

fiction: 76%
non-fiction: 24%

Progress towards reducing my TBR:

144 books read from my old (pre 2016) TBR!

2016 awards: see the end of this thread.

-----
Kiwi’s year in books

message 3: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:26PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 1: Big and small challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jul 11, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 2: New To Me authors challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jul 13, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 3: Recommended challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 23, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 4: Take a Chance challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 19, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 5: TBR Favourite Genre challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 07, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 6: Famous people challenge ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 26, 2016 03:37PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 7: History challenge ✔ Completed

Themes I want to explore in 2016:

❄ ✔ Life in middle ages e.g. monasteries, medieval city/villages, black death, pilgrims
Life in a Medieval City
The Middle Ages: An Illustrated History
Kingmaker: Winter Pilgrims
The Apothecary Rose: The Owen Archer Series - Book One
The Black Death

❄ ✔ Northern Italy history – Longobards, Visconti, Sforza, Gonzaga, Este, Venice
The Tigress of Forlì: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici by Elizabeth Lev

❄ ✔ History of a city (Venice)
Venice: A New History
The Modern Scholar: A History of Venice: Queen of the Seas
Francesco's Venice: The Dramatic History of the World's Most Beautiful City

Maybe:
❄ ✔ Byzantium
Theodora: Actress, Empress, Saint by David Stone Potter
The Bearkeeper's Daughter by Gillian Bradshaw
The Byzantines by Averil Cameron

❄ ✔ Central America ancient civilizations e.g. Maya, Atzec, Inca
Jungle of Stone: The True Story of Two Men, Their Extraordinary Journey, and the Discovery of the Lost Civilization of the Maya by William Carlsen

Perhaps more of:

❄ ✔ Gold rush history (Australia/NZ, California, Klondike, Alaska) or fur trappers
Gold A Pictorial History of The Australian Goldrush
The Denniston Rose
The Rush: America's Fevered Quest for Fortune, 1848-1853

❄ ✔ Celts history and myths / Ireland legends
The Eagle and the Raven

❄ ✔ Native American/Canadians
The Round House
The Orenda
Dances with Wolves

❄ ✔ Vikings
The Vikings: The Story of a People
The Sea Wolves: A History of the Vikings
The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings
The Age of the Vikings
Viking: The Norse Warrior's Unofficial Manual
The Long Ships: A Saga of the Viking Age
The Broken Sword

❄ Cathars

and ...

Challenge: Read at least 12 books in total and at least one book set in each time period: 12+6/12

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited May 29, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 9 : Recommended by Reading Challengers challenge - ✔ Completed
my post is #8

Read ten books from the recommended list: 12/12
(view spoiler)

Challenge 10: Book Riot's Read Harder challenge - ✔ Completed

Read 24 books from the list: 24/24
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Apr 05, 2016 02:35PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 11: Popsugar 2016 Reading challenge - ✔ Completed

Read 40(+1) books from the list: 40/40
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 12: Genre of the month - ✔ Completed

Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2016

Read at least one book per month according to month flavor: 82/12 (minimum)

January: Children / Young adult
(view spoiler)
February: Romance / Chick lit
(view spoiler)
March: Historical
(view spoiler)
April: Fantasy
(view spoiler)
May: Award winning
(view spoiler)
June: Classics / Literary fiction
(view spoiler)
July: New releases
(view spoiler)
August: Science fiction
(view spoiler)
September: Travel or different culture
(view spoiler)
October: Mystery or Horror
(view spoiler)
November: Non Fiction
(view spoiler)
December: Holiday reads
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Feb 25, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 13: Full House Reading Challenge 2016 - ✔ Completed

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jun 11, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 14 - February Group Challenge: Times Gone By - ✔ Completed

6/5
(view spoiler)

Challenge 15: Second Quarter Challenge: Clear The Shelves - ✔ Completed
Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2016
(adapted to clear books from pre-2016 TBR)

31/30
(view spoiler)

Challenge 16: Second Quarter Challenge: Award Winning Books - ✔ Completed
Duration: April 1 - June 30, 2016

12/10
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Sep 11, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Challenge 17: 2016 Bingo #2 ✔ Completed

started June 2016
Bingo 2 webpage
progress:25/25

(view spoiler)

Challenge 18: 26 books in 2016 ✔ Completed

started June 2016
26 Books in 2016 web page
progress:26/26

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Sep 04, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Month Summary

January
(view spoiler)

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier Heidi by Johanna Spyri Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1) by A.A. Milne Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar The Reindeer People by Megan Lindholm Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane Matilda by Roald Dahl The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris And Then There Were Nuns Adventures in a Cloistered Life by Jane Christmas The Willows by Algernon Blackwood The Brotherhood of the Grape by John Fante What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe American Gods by Neil Gaiman Candide by Voltaire Candide by James K. Lowers

# Books read: 23
# Pages read: 7,727
Average Rating: 3.09
Best book of the month: Shutter Island
Best yield/payoff book: The Goldfinch (6 challenges)

February
(view spoiler)

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash Julius Caesar by Philip Freeman True Grit by Charles Portis Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit Uprooted by Naomi Novik Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Tender at the Bone Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl Euphoria by Lily King Black Ships (Numinous World, #1) by Jo Graham Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan Mindsight The New Science of Personal Transformation by Daniel J. Siegel Legionary (Legionary, #1) by Gordon Doherty Goths by Kathryn Hinds Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank Stai zitta e va' in cucina Breve storia del maschilismo in politica da Togliatti a Grillo by Filippo Maria Battaglia My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout The Book of My Lives by Aleksandar Hemon Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen Life in a Medieval City by Frances Gies The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Gold A Pictorial History of The Australian Goldrush by Geoff Hocking The Complete Fairy Tales by Charles Perrault Born Standing Up A Comic's Life by Steve Martin The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

# Books read: 29
# Pages read: 8,793
Average Rating: 3.21
Best book of the month: Julius Caesar (NF) / Alas Babylon (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Euphoria (6 challenges)
Challenges completed (2):
• Times Gone By (February Group Challenge) 6/5
• Challenge thirteen: Full House Reading Challenge 25/25

message 18: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jun 03, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments March
(view spoiler)

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day Belle by Lesley Pearse Ransom by David Malouf Dark Fire (Matthew Shardlake, #2) by C.J. Sansom The Round House by Louise Erdrich Othello by William Shakespeare CliffsComplete Othello by Kate Maurer The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti The Granny by Brendan O'Carroll How to be a Grrrl by Lucy van Pelt (Canons) by Charles M. Schulz Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson The Young Wan by Brendan O'Carroll What Was Mine by Helen Klein Ross Pompeii by Robert Harris A Child al Confino A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy by Enrico Lamet Microserfs by Douglas Coupland The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers The Denniston Rose by Jenny Pattrick

# Books read: 20
# Pages read: 7,250
Average Rating: 3.15
Best book of the month: (NF) You’re never weird on the internet / The Denniston rose (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Ransom (3 challenges)
Challenges completed:
• Challenge 10: Book Riot's Read Harder challenge 24/24

April
(view spoiler)

Cold in July by Joe R. Lansdale The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1) by Robert C. O'Brien The Bartender's Tale by Ivan Doig The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2) by Peter May Knife (Faery Rebels, #1) by R.J. Anderson The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski Watchmen by Alan Moore The Spartans The World of the Warrior-heroes of Ancient Greece by Paul Anthony Cartledge Sparta The Warrior State of Ancient Greece by Duncan Ryan The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom The Tigress of Forlì Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici by Elizabeth Lev The Spartan Way by Nic Fields Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín Good-Bye, Mr. Chips by James Hilton The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

# Pages read: 6,585
Average Rating: 3.40
Best book of the month: (NF) The tigress of Forli / The Lewis Man (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Mrs Frisby and the rats of the NIMH (5 challenges)
Challenges completed:
• Challenge TBR slimming on 60/60 (ongoing)

message 19: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jul 03, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments May
(view spoiler)

The Door by Magda Szabó Mindfulness An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Mark Williams The Vikings The Story of a People by Njord Kane The Sea Wolves A History of the Vikings by Lars Brownworth The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings by John Haywood The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf The Age of the Vikings by Anders Winroth Viking The Norse Warrior's Unofficial Manual by John Haywood Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, #3) by Robin Hobb The Last Child by John Hart The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1) by Robert Bryndza The Bearkeeper's Daughter by Gillian Bradshaw Theodora Actress, Empress, Saint (Women in Antiquity) by David Stone Potter The Byzantines by Averil Cameron Self-Help by Lorrie Moore Bel Canto by Ann Patchett Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2) by Joe Abercrombie Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore by Italo Calvino Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas A Vision of Light (Margaret of Ashbury, #1) by Judith Merkle Riley

# Books read: 24
# Pages read: 7,998
Average Rating: 3.21
Best book of the month: (NF) The sea wolves /Bel canto (F)
Best yield/payoff book: The lock artist (4 challenges)
• Challenge 16: Second Quarter Challenge: Award Winning Books 12/10
• Challenge 9: Recommended by Reading Challengers challenge 12/12

June
(view spoiler)

Provinces of Night by William Gay I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson Arkwright by Allen Steele Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston By Fire, by Water by Mitchell James Kaplan Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1) by Paul Durham The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol Just Mercy A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil by John Berendt The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton A Good Man Is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor The Dungeoneers (The Dungeoneers, #1) by Jeffery Russell The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories by Carson McCullers Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInerney The Serpent (The Gameshouse, #1) by Claire North Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw Island of the Lost Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Joan Druett

# Pages read: 6,685
Average Rating: 3.30
Best book of the month: Just Mercy (NF) / Cold mountain (F)
Best yield/payoff book: The kind worth killing (5 challenges)

• Challenge 15: Second Quarter Challenge: Clear The Shelves 31/30
• Challenge 1: Big and Small 12/12

message 20: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Sep 01, 2016 02:27PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments July
(view spoiler)

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay The Curious Charms Of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick Catherine the Great Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie Iron Lake (Cork O'Connor, #1) by William Kent Krueger Hard to Be a God by Arkady Strugatsky Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Shift (Silo, #2) by Hugh Howey Joan of Arc A History by Helen Castor My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) by Gerald Durrell How to Be an Imperfectionist The New Way to Fearlessness, Confidence, and Freedom from Perfectionism by Stephen Guise In Cold Blood by Truman Capote The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) by Michael Moorcock Bruno, Chief of Police A Novel of the French Countryside by Martin Walker The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2) by Michael Moorcock This Census-Taker by China Miéville The Pursuit of Perfect How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life by Tal Ben-Shahar Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear Life or Death by Michael Robotham The Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland Confessions by Kanae Minato When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

# Books read: 26
# Pages read: 9,082
Average Rating: 3.12
Best book of the month: Catherine The great (NF) / Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Shift (3 challenges)
Challenges completed (3):
• Challenge two: New To Me authors challenge: 12/12
• Challenge three: Recommended – 6/6
• Page Challenge: 50,000 pages

August
(view spoiler)

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier Orazio and Artemisia Gentileschi by Keith Christiansen The Face of a Stranger (William Monk) by Anne Perry Mockingbird by Walter Tevis Kingmaker Winter Pilgrims by Toby Clements Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris Beacon 23 The Complete Novel (Beacon 23 #1-5) by Hugh Howey The Apothecary Rose The Owen Archer Series - Book One by Candace Robb Margeau Chapeau A New Perspective on Classic Knit Hats (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace) by Margeau Soboti Knitted Wraps & Cover-Ups 24 Stylish Designs for Boleros, Capes, Shrugs, Crop Tops, & More by Annie Modesitt Weekend Hats 25 Knitted Caps, Berets, Cloches, and More by Cecily Glowik MacDonald The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories by Joan Aiken The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) by Brian Staveley Join by Steve Toutonghi Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash Grief Is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Folding Beijing by Hao Jingfang Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky Exigency by Michael Siemsen Heartbroke Bay by Lynn D'urso The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1) by Matthew FitzSimmons The Rush America's Fevered Quest for Fortune, 1848-1853 by Edward Dolnick

# Books read: 26
# Pages read: 7,767
Average Rating: 3.19
Best book of the month: Mistakes were made (NF) / The Glass Castle (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey (3 challenges)
Challenges completed (4):
• Challenge six: Famous people challenge 8/8 on 8 Aug
• Challenge five: TBR Favourite Genre challenge:24/24 on 20 Aug
• Challenge 18: 26 books in 2016 : 26/26 on 21 Aug
• Challenge 4: Take a Chance challenge: 6/6 on 24 Aug

message 21: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Nov 29, 2016 09:25PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments September
(view spoiler)

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena Venice A New History by Thomas F. Madden The Modern Scholar A History of Venice Queen of the Seas by Thomas F. Madden Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson City of Thieves by David Benioff The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino The Builders by Daniel Polansky Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite, #1) by Robert Dugoni The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1) by Michael Blake A Hero in France by Alan Furst Francesco's Venice The Dramatic History of the World's Most Beautiful City by Francesco Da Mosto Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4) by Dennis Lehane The Shipping News by Annie Proulx Screw You Dolores by Sarah-Kate Lynch Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2) by Tad Williams The Convictions of John Delahunt by Andrew Hughes The Thief (The Gameshouse, #2) by Claire North Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott Stambach

# Books read: 25
# Pages read: 8,409
Average Rating: 2.88
Best book of the month: Venice a new history (NF) /City of Thieves (F)
Best yield/payoff book: The Orenda (3 challenges)
• Challenge seven: History 12+6/12 on 3 Sep
• Goodreads challenge: 200 books on 13 Sep

October
(view spoiler)

Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman Carol by Patricia Highsmith Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd Pompeii The History, Life and Art of the Buried City by Marisa Ranieri Panetta Una questione privata by Beppe Fenoglio The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier Black Dog by Levi Pinfold Owl Moon by Jane Yolen The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson Rain Dogs (Detective Sean Duffy) by Adrian McKinty Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1) by Chris Priestley Heft by Liz Moore The Long Ships A Saga of the Viking Age by Frans G. Bengtsson Hiroshima by John Hersey A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell A Tapping at my Door (DS Nathan Cody, #1) by David Jackson This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart The Heavenly Table by Donald Ray Pollock Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1) by Rachel Bach Gennaro's Italian Bakery by Gennaro Contaldo Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer Damocles by S.G. Redling The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult Eifelheim by Michael Flynn I See You by Clare Mackintosh Il fu Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello

# Books read: 29
# Pages read: 8,947
Average Rating: 3.24
Best book of the month: Hiroshima (NF) /The long ships (F)
Best yield/payoff book: The wasp factory (3 challenges)

message 22: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments November

(view spoiler)

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving Tales of Terror from the Black Ship by Chris Priestley A Cat, a Hat and a Piece of String by Joanne Harris We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3) by George R.R. Martin The Black Death by Sean Martin House of the Rising Sun (Hackberry Holland, #4) by James Lee Burke Unstoppable Harnessing Science to Change the World by Bill Nye Commonwealth by Ann Patchett Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls Happiness Now! Timeless Wisdom for Feeling Good FAST by Robert Holden The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) by Joan Aiken Umbria by Jonathan Keates Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson The Complaints by Ian Rankin I giorni dell'abbandono by Elena Ferrante You Can't Ruin My Day 52 Wake-Up Calls to Turn Any Situation Around by Allen Klein The Universe of Us by Lang Leav Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5) by Alys Clare The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō The Ballroom by Anna Hope Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

# Books read: 27
# Pages read: 7,744
Average Rating: 3.15
Best book of the month: The black death (NF) /Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (F)
Best yield/payoff book: Where am I now? (3 challenges)
Challenge completed:
• Challenge Family Reading Bingo: 25/25 on 30 Nov

December

(view spoiler)

The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad, #6) by Tana French Ella Minnow Pea A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable by Mark Dunn A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny The Snowman (Harry Hole, #7) by Jo Nesbø Chicken Soup for the Soul The Joy of Christmas 101 Holiday Tales of Inspiration, Love and Wonder by Amy Newmark Afternoon of the Elves by Janet Taylor Lisle A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen Catholicism Today An Introduction to the Contemporary Catholic Church by Evyatar Marienberg The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror) by Chris Priestley A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2) by Laurie R. King Home (Myron Bolitar, #11) by Harlan Coben The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Pine Cove, #3) by Christopher Moore The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell Where It Hurts (Gus Murphy, #1) by Reed Farrel Coleman Jamie Oliver's Christmas Cookbook by Jamie Oliver Jungle of Stone The True Story of Two Men, Their Extraordinary Journey, and the Discovery of the Lost Civilization of the Maya by William Carlsen The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm by Norman Hunter The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1) by Margaret Frazer

# Books read: 21
# Pages read: 7,089
Average Rating: 3.10
Best book of the month: A short history of nearly everything (NF)/ The broken sword (F)
• Challenge 20: Popsugar Fall reading challenge 16/16 on 5 Dec
• Challenge 12: Genre of the month on 8 Dec

message 23: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 09, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments and .... one more bingo:

Challenge 19: Family reading BINGO ✔ Completed

Started 1 Oct 2016
progress: 25/25

(view spoiler)

Ohhh, look what I found: another Popsugar challenge to do before the end of the year!

Challenge 20: Popsugar 2016 Fall Reading Challenge ✔ Completed

started October 2016
Popsugar Fall Reading Challenge link

description

progress:16/16
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments I like your challenges for the coming year good luck.

message 25: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Thank you!

@Stephanie, borrow away as much as you like. I have often borrowed ideas from friends too, nothing original here :)

message 26: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Kiwi wrote: "Challenge 8: TBR slimming challenge

Read at least 60 TBR books added to the list earlier than 01/01/16: 0/60"

I should do this. Make at least half of the books I read next year from my TBR list. Especially since I have books on my list that have been their since before I even joined Goodreads!

message 27: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Kadijah Michelle, you're welcome to use the idea if you like. Books at the bottom of the TBR often get neglected in the selection.
For me it's rewarding do a TBR count at the beginning and see how many from the original list are left at the end of the year :)

message 28: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I did the TBR subtraction this year. I allowed myself to add no books to my GR TBR list, and I will see how much smaller my number is at the end of the year. I will have read 37 from my list if I read the last two that I plan on. Out of 95 (hopefully) total read this year ,that isn't great but not terrible either.

message 29: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 10, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments That's almost 40% and sounds pretty good to me, congratulations Laurie.
I admire your restraint, I wouldn't be able not to add books to the TBR for a whole year, I'm just glad when I feel that it is under control.

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 976 comments Kiwi wrote: "Challenge 8: TBR slimming challenge

Read at least 60 TBR books added to the list earlier than 01/01/16: 0/60"

May I offer a suggestion as to how you might do this? What I did what I found a random number generator and I input the numbers 1 through as many books as I had in the list and asked for a specific number of random numbers to be generated- so you would ask for 60, I guess or less if you wanted to specifically choose certain books. Anyway, I then went and looked up specifically which books those numbers correlated to and devoted myself to reading them all in 2016.

I like it because it doesn't let me fall into my old patterns of things and exposes me to books that I may have waited many more years to get to (granted I have well over 5,000 books on my TBR list). Just a thought.

I really like the way you have set up your corner! I imagine I will come back here for inspiration every so often :)

message 31: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Thanks Stephanie for the suggestion, I used the random integer generator when I started the challenges 2 years ago, it's an excellent tool. This year I'm thinking of using that challenge simply as a counter, to see how many books I can knock off by the end of the year.

You're welcome to come back and visit any time :)

I will start to add books for the challenges shortly, but I like to be flexible, I might change my mind along the way

message 32: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 25, 2015 07:45PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Finished adding the links with the planned books for my 2016 personal challenges. I think I'll add a couple of group ones in the next few days

message 33: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Added some group challenges as well as a BINGO I found on the net (I love BINGOs :)

My reading plan for January includes:

Colossal: The Goldfinch (just started)
Shortie: The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly
New 2 me: Necessary Lies
Fantasy: The Summer Tree
Classic: Frenchman's Creek
Famous people: Memoirs of Hadrian
History: The Reindeer People

I picked them for my personal challenges, but I will try to fit some of these in the other challenges too.

Happy reading everyone!

message 34: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 03, 2016 09:35PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Just finished my first book of the year, The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly:

A cute story, although I’m not sure children are this book target audience; I think the themes of surrogate motherhood and sacrifice would be lost on young readers. I found the writing uneven, sometimes too simple and bare, other times heavy on the allegories and preachy. Maybe it’s the style, perhaps the translation or I wasn’t in the right mood for it, either way only 2 star read for me.

Favourite quote:

In various parts of the fields things happened without interruption. Someone died, and someone was born. Sometimes a farewell and a greeting happened at the same time. Sprout knew she couldn’t be sad for long.

Only 2 stars, but I can tick off a few challenges: Big and Small (Shortie), TBR Slimming, Popsugar (#9. A book that's under 150 pages ) and Full House (Author outside own country).

Currently reading: The Goldfinch, which I'm enjoying less than I thought I would and Necessary Lies, a great read so far.

message 35: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 04, 2016 07:41PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Necessary Lies , 3.5 stars
(New2Me author, TBR Slimming, Popsugar, Full House)

Necessary Lies is my first Diane Chamberlain novel and I enjoyed it very much. I found it a good choice for a book club, so many themes to be discussed: mental retardation and eugenics programs, the stress on social workers, welfare services policies and poverty trap, white upper-class expectations of a young bride in the ‘60s, etc.
This novel touched me more than Bastard Out of Carolina and it made me want to read more by the author. 3.5 stars rounded up.

Favourite quotes:

“You’re a very good person,” she said. “Just not a very good social worker.”

This was a side to Nonnie I never seen before. This weak, soft side. I knew all of a sudden this was the real Nonnie. It got covered up by her yelling and hitting, and it scared me more than anything to know she wasn’t as tough as she seemed. I needed somebody in my life to be strong.

message 36: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Finally finished The Goldfinch, only 2.5 stars I'm afraid. my review

Also finished Frenchman's Creek a 3 stars re-read. my review

I have just started Memoirs of Hadrian, which will take me a while to finish, it's wonderful writing and I'm taking my time to digest it. So, I've decided to read Heidi at the same time, to even things out :)

message 37: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Heidi, 3 1/2 stars rounded up

The Summer Tree, 2 1/2 stars, my thoughts:

I loved my first book by Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana, but this first book of his famous The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy was a disappointment.
Like many fantasy novels written in the 80s, the author mixes characters from the modern world with the fantasy one, using the device of magical portal or “crossing” to move characters between them. I don’t like that, I prefer my fantasy pure fantasy, an imagined story, fleshed out characters that live in their own world with their own laws, even magic should have some laws to govern it. Probably it is because of my rational mind, for the same reason I do not like time travel, portals don’t work for me.

Another complaint I have with the book was that a lot is introduced without explanation. Legendary figures, places and events occurred centuries in the past are casually mentioned, while the reader is not privy to the background, the modern characters either have an innate understanding of what is going on or they seem to be content with accepting these bits of information as if it all make sense. I mean, if you were to be transported in a world that is alien to you wouldn’t you ask a few more questions?

If it sounds too negative, I readily admit that there are positives too. GGK’s style is engaging, the writing, like in Tigana, is richly descriptive and lyrical; the world building is well done, overall not a bad book. Like many series, the first book may prove to be the weakest because of plot building and preparation required to sustain the series itself.
The violence at the end (view spoiler)was off putting for me and so I will not continue this series, but I might reach for another one of GGK standalone novels.

message 38: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments I'm slowly continuing with Memoirs of Hadrian, but I've also started The Reindeer People for my history challenge.
I will probably start another book for this month genre: children and YA

message 39: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Winnie-the-Pooh, 3.5 stars

Memoirs of Hadrian, 3 stars:

This book deserves to be read slowly to appreciate the beauty of the language and the depth of thought expressed. I absolutely loved the first chapter, “Animula vagula blandula”, it contains memorable quote after memorable quote and I ended up reading it twice (it is simply superb). The later chapters were a challenge though; after a while, I was struggling to follow the story through Hadrian’s frequent poetic digressions.

Overall, I liked this book despite it was not what I was looking for (an informative bio of the emperor rather than the monologue of an ailing Hadrian at the twilight of his life, who often goes on philosophical tangents). Reading the author’s notes at the end one realises that the book is a passionate labour of research. Yourcenar’s is a masterly work and her reflections on the human condition are impressive. Many GR reviewers rate the book at 5 or 4 stars, I agree that it is a worthwhile read however, I, Claudius remains my undisputed favourite memoir, and when compared to it, Memoirs of Hadrian loses a couple of stars.

message 40: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Reindeer People, 2 stars

Good story but more chick lit than historical fiction, the characters are more modern than you would expect in a pre-historical setting. I prefer the author when she writes Fantasy genre novels under the pseudonym Robin Hobb.

message 41: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Eureka! Finally the first 5 stars of the year!

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

A dark and gripping psychological thriller, just what I needed to jolt out of a reading slump. The book is not completely clean but Marshal Teddy Daniels’ coarseness falls within the bounds of his character development. I particularly liked the post war and cold war atmosphere of the ’50s and the twisted mind games. Conspiracy or paranoia?

In this instance, I’m glad I have a bad memory since I’d seen the Scorsese’s movie previously but I had forgotten the details, so it didn’t spoil my reading experience. I watched the movie again last night and despite the differences (and without spoilers, let’s just say I prefer the book version) it is a great movie, I would highly recommend both.
My first Dennis Lehane will definitely not be my last. The audiobook narrated by Tom Stechschulte is also great. 4.5 stars

Favourite quotes:

"If you are deemed insane, then all actions that would otherwise prove you are not do, in actuality, fall into the framework of an insane person's actions. Your sound protests constitute denial. Your valid fears are deemed paranoia. Your survival instincts are labeled defense mechanisms. It's a no-win situation. It's a death penalty really. Once you're here, you're not getting out. No one leaves Ward C. No one.”

They say, Get over her, you have to get over her, but get over to what? To this fucking life? How am I going to get you out of my mind? It hasn't worked so far, so how am I supposed to do that? How am I supposed to let you go, that's all I'm asking. I want to hold you again, smell you, and, yes too, I just want you to fade. To please, please fade...

Teddy stopped at the ledge, looked back at her. "I had a friend. He was with me tonight and we got separated. Have you seen him?" She gave him the same sad smile. "Marshal," she said, "you have no friends."

message 42: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Truth About Alice, a pleasant surprise, 3.5

Matilda, re-read to/with my son, 3 stars.

I've just started The Killing Moon and Middlesex

message 43: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Killing Moon, 2 stars. This was a gamble and it didn't work out.

I'm continuing Middlesex which I'm enjoying, with its lots of LOL moments and just started Still Life.

message 44: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Still Life by Louise Penny, 3 stars.

Middlesex, 4 shining stars:

Wonderful story, informative and entertaining; I loved the characters (Desdemona being my favourite) and the humor. I was late at the party; finally I join the scores of readers who loved this book. Thank you Jeffrey Eugenides for the laughs.

I started What If? : Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions and And Then There Were Nuns: Adventures in a Cloistered Life.

I will probably start another fiction book as my main read

message 45: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:38PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments well, And Then There Were Nuns: Adventures in a Cloistered Life turned out a disappointment, 1.5 stars, very close to be a DNF.

but I loved An Officer and a Spy, an absolute pleasure to read and to listen to, my thoughts:

This book recounts the events of the Dreyfus affair; the trial of a French military officer, from a rich Jewish family, accused and convicted of passing intelligence information to the German embassy. Despite the trial evidence being shaky and circumstantial at best, Dreyfus was found guilty and speedily sent into exile to the penal colony of Cayenne (on Devil’s island). Later, the real informer was identified but the French authorities attempted to cover up the new evidence and persisted in their initial conviction of the inconvenient Jew. Anti-Semitic sentiment and the complicated relationship with Germany are the background of the case: in 1894, France was still reeling from the catastrophic loss Alsace and part of Lorraine (Germany invaded and annexed the French territory in 1870).

The book is a fascinating historical thriller detailing astute manoeuvres leading to blatant injustice. The political scandal rocked Paris at the fin de siècle with the effect of dividing France public opinion into pro and anti Dreyfus, one vocal supporter was the writer Émile Zola who publicly denounced the injustice in his “J'accuse” open letter.

I don’t know why I waited so long to read this book, perhaps it was the topic of politics and espionage that put me off. If you have considered this historical novel and are still hesitant don’t be, this is one of those cases when fact is stranger than fiction, Harris’ high tension narrative is absolutely riveting. I highly recommend the book and the narration by David Rintoul, which is also fantastic. 4.5 stars rounded up

message 46: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments still reading What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, I'm interested in some questions, others ...not so much.

Off to pick my next reads ...

message 47: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Kiwi, I'm very glad to know you enjoyed Middlesex, I absolutely loved that book!

message 48: by Alex (last edited Jan 24, 2016 09:50AM) (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 277 comments Kiwi wrote: "Eureka! Finally the first 5 stars of the year!

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

A dark and gripping psychological thriller, just what I needed to jolt out of a reading slump. The book..."

I love Dennis Lehane! Mystic River is the book that sparked my love affair with mystery/suspense novels.

message 49: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Alex wrote: "I love Dennis Lehane! Mystic River is the book that sparked my love affair with mystery/suspense novels. ..."

Hi Alex, I haven't read that novel but I remember the movie very well, it was excellent. The problem I have with books that have been made into movies is that I need to forget the story otherwise its spoils the surprise in the book.
I have another Dennis Lehane on my TBR, Gone, Baby, Gone which I'm looking forward to reading.

Marina wrote: "Kiwi, I'm very glad to know you enjoyed Middlesex, I absolutely loved that book!"

Thank you Marina, Middlesex was great!

message 50: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 277 comments Kiwi wrote: "Alex wrote: "I love Dennis Lehane! Mystic River is the book that sparked my love affair with mystery/suspense novels. ..."

Hi Alex, I haven't read that novel but I remember the movie very well, it..."

I completely understand that. I read all of his books first before ever seeing any of the movies.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6