Start by marking “Eifelheim” as Want to Read:
Eifelheim

Eifelheim

In 1349, one small town in Germany disappeared and has never been resettled. Tom, a contemporary historian, and his theoretical physicist girlfriend Sharon, become interested. Tom indeed becomes obsessed. By all logic, the town should have survived, but it didn't and that violates everything Tom knows about history. What's was special about Eifelheim that it utterly ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Eifelheim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eifelheim

Start your review of Eifelheim
Terry
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An interesting take on the First Contact story. This one takes place in the Middle Ages, as an alien ship crash lands in the Black Forest of Germany near the small village of Oberhochwald. Tied in to this tale of the past is one that takes place in the present as two researchers (and lovers) try to solve the mystery of the disappearance of the village of Eifelheim (once called Oberhochwald) from recorded history and the implications this may have on their separate fields of study.

I found the
Bradley
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, political, sci-fi
In all fairness, I ought to give one or two more stars to this novel for the following reasons.

The sheer amount of research put into the novel to make a complete picture of a small medieval German town and it's surrounding politics, not to mention the great walk-on parts of Occam and the peripheral references to Roger Bacon, made the novel a true tour-de-force.

Mr. Flynn's well-thought out idea behind hyperspace was explored quite thoroughly and also deserves much praise.

Even the basic premise
Jennifer (aka EM)
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer (aka EM) by: Ceridwen C
ETA (12/28/12): this one stayed and stayed and stayed with me. Thus, I'm raising it to a five-star book, from my previous waffling and dithering "hovering between three and four for this - so I will think about it for a while" - and this equivocating review.

The Good: unique first contact premise. Making the Krenkish human enough to spark empathy, but still alien enough to be ... alien, and yet believable. The history. The up-close-and-personal look at how the plague devastated communities
Fonch
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dedicated with affection to Julie Davis, Jorge Sáez Criado, Manuel Alfonseca, and father Victor Carpetano.

Well it's funny, but lately before the criticisms of the books, which I read. I am always telling my story with the book, I'm going to add a comment, and this has a very interesting history. Years ago kept as it could not be less in a collector of Catholic writers. With the writer Julie Davis, and talked about many interesting things, and many books. Recommended me good books "the captain
Whitaker
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
First of all, a shout out of thanks to Ceridwen who, in reviewing this book on Goodreads, introduced it to me. It was a great review BTW and you should read it too.

We dont often talk of the minor characters in novels: the walk-on parts with a few lines and no names. I think for this review, I just want to focus on two side characters. They are not terribly important, but their stories and the different trajectories they take lend added resonance to the main story. Julie Cao is a researcher and
Lyn
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Eifelhiem is vaguely reminiscent of Connie Willis and is also similar to the writing style of Geraldine Brooks. One of the best parts of this story is the description of medieval philosophy mixing with contact with an alien race. Like Alienation and Peter Jacksons film District 9 (and I imagine that Flynns aliens resemble the District 9 prawns somewhat) the author also creates an allegory to examine and explore xenophobia in all its forms.

This is a good description of middle ages and the
Stephen
3.5 Stars. Rich, detailed writing. Michael Flynn is a very good writer and this book was meticulously researched. I am someone who really likes books that pay attention to detail and spend the time to develop the world of the book and this one does that. The major drawback for me (and the only reason the book does not rate higher) was that the 1348 parts (which were the majority) got a bit boring and tedious. Though well written, I just found myself begging the author to move the story along. ...more
Ian
This book and I had a frustrating, love-hate relationship. We went to the movies and out to nice dinners. We went for long walks along the river. Then we battled over who should make the bed and who should empty the dishwasher. We fought and said hurtful things. But we also had some great make-up sex. The only thing as memorable as the love in this relationship was the enmity. Hence the three stars in my rating.

First, the things I hated:

Mr. Flynn apparently speaks several languages, including
Zefyr
Oh, jeez. This sounded right up my alley. Contrary to other reviewers, I think Flynn spent too much time on the main characters - as uninteresting as they were, maybe it would have worked better if he stopped trying to say anything about them and just let them be stock plot vehicles. No, instead he goes on at bizarrely indulgent length about these self-satisfied characters. Vaguely pathetic husband who thinks he's better than he is; vaguely modern Wife With A Real Job who thinks she's better ...more
Cindy
I can't say this enough: I love stories that start with a simple premise (e.g. in Eifelheim aliens crash-land near a small 14th century German village) then follow the characters as they react and interact with the situation.

I'm really wavering between 4 and 5 stars for Eifelheim. Yet another conundrum due to the Quantized GoodReads Ratings. Let's lay out the case for each:

Five Stars:
I was really mourning the end of this book because I felt like I was so thoroughly immersed in the 14th century
Banner
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, alien
The gap between the supernatural and the natural narrows in this brilliant science fiction chronicle set in medieval Germany. The universe is both a cruel and beautiful place. Life is truly miraculous to overcome both, the black death and deep space travel. Reality is not categorized between science and faith but encompass both. These are just some of the thoughts you have after reading this book.

There is so much I would like to say about this book, but will not because I want each person to
Jamie Collins
Fascinating book! This is a blending of sci-fi and historical fiction: a first-contact scenario that takes place in a 14th-century German village. The villagers must deal with aliens among them while the threat of the Black Plague presses in from all sides; meanwhile modern-day researchers are trying to unravel the mystery of a medieval village that was abandoned and never resettled.

The premise is a little far-fetched but the book is so well written that you hardly notice. I'm definitely going
Terence
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I'm afraid my review here will be brief - the book is due back at the library today and, to be honest, I've been distracted by a very sick cat and haven't had the time or inclination to focus on reading.

That said, overall I found Eifelheim an interesting book and would recommend it. As other reviewers have noted, it's a parallel story: The first part is set in the "Now," where Tom, a historian, and his lover, Sharon, a physicist, are pursuing the elusive answers to mysteries. In Tom's case, it's
Stephan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After a slow start, I rather enjoyed the book. Without giving too much away, I really appreciated the portrayal of medieval people not as pitchfork-wielding dumb rednecks, but as reasonable and, at least in part, well-educated and smart people. The dialog of the main protagonist, Dietrich with his visitors were very well-written and plausible, indeed.

This also has to be one of the best researched books I've read in a long time. Both the medieval and the modern strand of action were very
Pam
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction readers
A researcher investigating the disappearance of a Bavarian village (Eifelheim) in 1349 learns that a spaceship crashed in the area several months before the area was abandoned. It sounds preposterous but it's absolutely wonderful.
Megan Baxter
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Somewhere in here in a good idea. The notion that first contact happened, not after the industrial revolution, not after we'd already achieved or were even dreaming of space flight, but rather in a time period where the very notion wouldn't even have made sense, is provocative and interesting. There are some good things in this book, but they were marred by a tendency to be far too cute, and the fact that the historian in the present annoyed the fuck out of me.

Note: The rest of this review has
Simon
Mike,

I liked your review and read the book because of it. So I'm very grateful.

I agree with everything you say, especially the clunkiness of the "Now" parts - what made that so bad was that the characters were completely one-dimensional and unconvincing and, well, annoying. I wondered whether there was any point in a contemporary counterpoint to the main story. Perhaps it did something - the idea of the few surviving signs of the story being around, and being understood, as when they find the
Brooke
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: partial-reads
When I realized that several days had gone by that I hadn't picked up a book because I was dreading the idea of finishing this one, I realized it might be time to just send it back to the library. The print was so tiny that it kept giving me headaches, and the pacing was glacial. From reading a group discussion about the book, I desperately wanted to read the interesting bits, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Apr 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
A clever concept, but something about the style put me off. The pacing was odd, and there were too many characters (and many of them with multiple or similar names). The scenes set in the present, which apparently served as the original novella, featured two characters whose relationship seemed forced. They spoke to each other in intellectual jargon that just didn't feel real. The untranslated foreign phrases - a conceit that was charming in Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America - ...more
James M. Madsen, M.D.
"Eifelheim" is not for the faint-hearted. Like "Doomsday Book," another favorite of mine, it's not sparing in its depiction of the Black Death or of its claiming the lives of characters about which we've come to care deeply. It's also not a light read: Think of a combination of Dickens and Umberto Eco. The Dickensian element allows for a careful, well-researched view of fourteenth-century life in the Black Forest; and as in "Foucault's Pendulum," there are plenty of historical digressions, ...more
Scott
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would not be an exaggeration to say that Eifelheim is the strangest science fiction novel I've ever read. Not strange because of the wild ideas or unusual happenings that it containsthose are typical enoughbut for the very human, almost mundane reality that it depicts. Michael Flynn's novel reads more like an in depth historical than anything else. The greater part of it takes place during a year in the life of a fourteenth century German village.

And the aliens that get stranded in the woods
Kara Babcock
Adam
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Connie Willis
Shelves: audio
I'd say that 3 stars if a fair rating for this book. First of all, it's almost like 2 separate stories. There's the historical narrative and the present day narrative.

The historical is by far the stronger story and that makes this book lopsided. The medieval town is fully fleshed out and holds most of the book quite well.

And that makes the present narrative all the more awkward. In terms of page count there is much less in the present. I don't know if it's the cause or effect of the two
Jenne
Jun 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Hm. This was enjoyable, and had good characters, but I kept waiting for some kind of OMG! moment that just never really came. I thought that the researchers in the future were going to make some exciting discovery, but all they discovered was the thing in the past that we knew about all along.
Still, aliens-visit-13th-century-Germany is a pretty good story.

One other nitpick--it weirded me out that the aliens were supposed to be speaking bad German, but the way that was portrayed in the book was
Gary
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
3 stars but really it's a 2.5 for me. It's an obviously well researched book with an engaging enough concept but it's slow and the segments set in the present are not developed enough for my liking. The majority of the book is set in 14th century Germany and the characters are well realised but there is little in the way of 'momentum' in the story and the hinted at seduction of Tom by Judy does not materialise at all - disappointing as this might have spiced the narrative up somewhat.
I was
Peregrine
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010, sci-fi
Reading this book was like spending far too long in an art gallery. There were many. many beautiful images, many depictions of intriguing concepts, but they never came alive for me into story. There was little to no narrative tension, I found, so the reading for me was laced strongly with tedium and impatience. Right now, I'm glad the book is done. Sometimes bits from even a boring book swing back and link with ideas from other books; if so, then I'll be glad to have read Eifelheim.
Sandi
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way this book combined historical fiction with science fiction. It just blew me away. I don't think I've ever seen alien encounters handled in quite the same way.
John
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
What if aliens came to earth... in 1348? That's the basic premise of Michael Flynn's Eifelheim, though the narrative is split between a modern-day couple, a mathematical historian (Tom) and a theoretical physicist (Sharon) whose work inadvertently dovetail to unlock the mystery posed by certain historical sources, including the apparent disappearance of the German village of Eifelheim. The narrative weaves back and forth between their work and the story of the residents of this village and their ...more
Joseph R.
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What's worse--the Black Plague is looming over your small village hamlet or hideous aliens are stranded in the woods just outside of your small village hamlet? The poor 14th century village of Oberhochwald is gored by both horns of this dilemma in Eifelheim, the Hugo-nominated novel by Michael Flynn.

Father Dietrich is Oberhochwald's pastor and the first to discover the alien's landing site. They appear like giant grasshoppers and horses won't go near them. Despite their strangeness, he is able
Kristin
Eifelheim by Michael Flynn was Marchs book group selection that nobody finished, but we all wanted to. The group collectively just ran out of time. It happens. Eifelheim was also a Hugo Nominee in 2007 that didnt come out in paperback until the end of the year so I didnt have a chance to read it before the Hugo Awards were announced.

Eifelheim is set in Southern Germany in the late 1300's. The Black Plague has begun its death march farther north, but to the small village of Oppenheim it is a
Alternate Realiti...: eifelheim 1 6 Sep 14, 2016 07:17AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #108 Eifelheim by Michael Flynn 3 3 Sep 03, 2015 02:07PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #36 - Eifelheim by Michael Flynn -- more great sci fi 1 3 Mar 05, 2015 03:13PM

• 88 Names
  • The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
  • A Borrowed Man
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • This is How You Die: Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death (Machine of Death, #2)
  • Blind Lake
  • The Memory of Earth (Homecoming, #1)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Forgotten (Animorphs, #11)
  • The Reaction (Animorphs, #12)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Change (Animorphs, #13)
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • The Unknown (Animorphs, #14)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this page for the list of authors.

Michael Francis Flynn (born 1947) is an American statistician and science fiction author. Nearly all of Flynn's work falls under the category of hard science fiction, although his treatment of it can be unusual since he has applied the rigor of hard science fiction

News & Interviews

“Any fool can hope when success lies plainly in view. It wants genuine strength to hope when matters are hopeless.” 38 likes
“Jesus said the weeds would grow with the wheat until the Judgement," Dietrich answered, "so one finds both good men and bad in the Church. By our fruits we will be known, not by what name we have called ourselves. I have come to believe that there is more grace in becoming wheat than there is in pulling weeds.” 13 likes