Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:
Matilda

Matilda

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  549,842 ratings  ·  14,655 reviews
(Librarian's note: An alternate cover edition to this ISBN is provided here)

“The Trunchbull” is no match for Matilda!

Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a kid-hating terror of a headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she
Published August 16th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.
Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)
Amber Actually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local…moreActually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local library(less)

·  549,842 ratings  ·  14,655 reviews

Start your review of Matilda
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book was so great! I do enjoy the movie a bit more, but nevertheless this will always be a favorite of mine. I also really want to re-read some more Roald Dahl books now!
Ariel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. I really wish I'd read this when I was a kid - I would have related to and loved Matilda so much! I like that this is a book for children that doesn't cater to them - it treats them like intelligent beings. The plot was exciting, the characters fun, and the themes interesting.

All together I've only read two Dahl books now (Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but I definitely want to keep reading them!
Darth J
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the
Miranda Reads
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Does anyone really, truly love to learn as much as Matilda?
Books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.
She is such an inspiration - and not only because of the freaky telekinetics.

When I first read this book as a fifth grader, I absolutely connected with her. FINALLY! someone who likes to read as much as me!

I would spend hours at the library with my mother, steadily reading my way through a pack of books. It was my dream to say,
“I'm wondering what to read next."
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Matilda is a lovely little book. It’s a book about standing up against bullies (no matter who the bullies are.) It’s also a book about learning to live with yourself, about being who you are despite the pressures those who are supposed to love you may exert on your personality. It’s a book written for readers and one that establishes so firmly why reading is so damn important in a world that is becoming increasingly detached from the things that truly matter in life.

I wish I’d read it when I
Grace Tjan
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What
Starjustin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
5 stars for another Roald Dahl masterpiece! He adds a way of life, in the form of magic, to his characters. Many have mentioned to me that they read several of his books when they were children. I guess I am just one of those people that missed out reading him when I was younger however, I am extremely happy to discover him now and know that my grandchildren are reading his books also.
This story was made into a movie also and I can't wait to see it. I highly recommend reading Roald Dahl if you
James
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
Roald Dahl gets 4+ out of 5 stars for his knock-it-out-of-the-park story, Matilda, from 1988. For some reason, I thought this was published before 1988, but I know I read it when I was 13, so... must have been right then. I thought it was great. Looking back years later, and seeing all the films and cartoons made from it, I love it even more. While she's a good role model in many ways for young kids, she's all a little too spunky and might give some the wrong impressions.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Matilda, Roald Dahl
Matilda is a book by British writer Roald Dahl. It was published in 1988. In a small Buckinghamshire village, Matilda Wormwood is a five-and-half-year-old girl of unusual precocity, but she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents and older brother Michael. In retaliation, she resorts to pranks such as gluing her father's hat to his head, hiding a friend's parrot in the chimney to simulate a burglar or ghost, and secretly bleaching her father's hair. Matilda has read a
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I have short-changed this story by giving it 3 stars for so long. I ran out and bought this book for my little nieces for Christmas. No way they will grow up without Matilda in their life. She's brilliant! What a love for books and knowledge! Such a gentle, empathetic soul! I can't wait to share her with them.

8/28/17

Listening to this for the third time...I just adore Kate Winslet's narration. She's fantastic, perfect for children and adults.,

11/12/17

Audible relisten I just cannot get enough of
Elyse (semi hiatus) Walters
The best!!! Thanks to Samra!!!! She brought back great memories....

This was a favorite of my daughters when she was around 8 or 9 years old.

Some books just make you smile --connect mothers and daughters reading together --
make us laugh - and remind us of simple pleasures.
This is 'that' type of book!

Claudia Ramírez
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was SO CUTE I’M IN LOVE.

But I think I like the movie better (?), I want to re-watch it soon.
Luffy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come, of course. This is Roald Dahl at nearly his best. I'm reading it too slowly for my taste but sometimes life gets in the way. I thought his best book is Going Solo actually. But Matilda is quite original. It's like the movie Home Alone, only the parents are the villains. It's a bit of an exaggeration, but I just threw it there.

Okay, done.

This was such a fun read, drenched with magical writing, and emanating the familiar bouquet of bittersweet nostalgia feeling that I am wont to
Julie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some days it seems like hardly any of my childhood dreams came true.

I never grew up to have Lynda Carter's cleavage:

description

I never grew up to be a sassy black woman with an afro, like my childhood idol, Willona Woods, from Good Times:

description

And I never (no matter how many times I tried) learned to fly or to move objects around with my eyes.

But, somehow, Roald Dahl knew about these childhood dreams. Knew that kids want to have a magical bustline, rare hair, or powerful eyes that make evildoers pay for their
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
Jason Koivu
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fiction, fantasy
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
Whitney Atkinson
This book was MAGNIFICENT. I would have adored it as a kid, and even as an adult, I thought that the language was so enchanting, the storyline was heartwarming and gripping, and Matilda herself was such a strong and dynamic role model. I will definitely be investing in more Roald Dahl books, because I thought this one was beautiful and the pictures went with it so well and all the descriptions were so nice and it was such an enjoyable reading experience.

However, I docked a star from this because
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
Hannah Greendale
Matilda is a lovable protagonist, revered for her mischievous nature and easily sympathized with because of her abusive parents who don't recognize how extraordinary she is. Admittedly, she's a vengeful girl, but that never subtracts from her likability.

Roald Dahl crafted unapologetically over-the-top characters for this book:

When she marched -- Miss Trunchbull never walked, she always marched like a storm-trooper with long strides and arms aswinging -- when she marched along a corridor you
Samra Yusuf
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first review in 2017!
Matilda,my most beloved character and reason for my insatiable love for children's classics
I've read it quite countless times,listened to audio version while in most shitty mood,have adored it every time but never came up with a word to say on it.
Well,today I heard it in my way back to home,and i thought to make it reviewed at long last!
The exceptional Matilda is about a smart, easily infuriated little girl who is misunderstood by her parents and loathed by the school's
Shayantani
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY.

this book tells us about a brilliant little girl named Matilda Wormwood and she loves reading books. But her parents seem don't really proud of her and they don't even care much about her and her father is mean so when he treats her badly, She will ' teach ' him a lesson and one day something peculiar happens to her ...

My Opinion

When I was a kid, I watched the movie
Stacey (prettybooks)
As much as I love Roald Dahl's story (and this audiobook, read by Kate Winslet, was so fun), the movie of Matilda will always be my favourite. Perfection.
Mario
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
Ginger
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2019
This was just fantastic!! 5 stars!

I've never read Matilda and I've always wanted too even though I'm getting older then dirt.
I decided to do the audio on this and I've got to say, Kate Winslet was bloody fantastic. I can't see how anyone could have done a better job!

What a great and uplifting story by Roald Dahl. You really cheer for Matilda, Miss Honey and all the kids at the school. Seriously, could there be worse characters in a book besides the Wormwoods and Miss Trunchbull?!!

Definitely glad
Leila
Reading Matilda was fun and an easy read. I have to be honest and say I do definitely prefer the movie. I've watched it a few times and Matilda in the movie is a little star. My book is going to two small girls who are dying to read it so no regrets at all.
Kristy
Matilda! What can you say about this classic, right? I picked up my original copy from childhood —how about that?

For those not familiar, Matilda is the story of a tiny genius whose idiot parents don’t appreciate her in the least. But armed with books and spirit, she soon starts to fight back. Once at school, she faces an even more terrifying nemesis, her headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, who terrorizes the entire school. But when she goes after Miss Honey—the one kind teacher who believes in
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Matilda is such a famous book/movie that I think it doesn't need a synopsis.

So, I'll get into the middle of things and admit that this is my first time reading the book (and my first time seeing the movie). *hides*

The reason I read this in the first place is that Matilda is my son's next book assignment. I felt nervous because I'm not a fan of Roald Dahl's The BFG and didn't know what to expect. And yet I am thrilled about this book. I absolutely love it and highly recommend it (to those who,
Louise Wilson
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At the age of five-and-a-half she's knocking off double digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens.

Matilda Wormwood is often I'll-treated by her parents and older brother, Michael. She retaliates by playing pranks on them. When she goes to school, it's just as bad as the school principal is twice as bad as her parents. Her class teacher, Miss Honey, is the only person Matilda believes in.

This is a fun read. Roald Dhal is a
JV (semi-hiatus)
Half-witted bullies and villains alike are no match for a well-informed, extraordinary, brilliant little girl! That is the case with Matilda, a child prodigy. Although viewed as a nuisance by her parents and despised by the colossal horror (Miss Trunchbull) that loomed over their primary school, Matilda mischievously devises a wicked plan to bring down these giants, plummeting to the earth, and later, scuttling off and leaving their poor marbles behind! Poor things. She's really a child genius ...more

• Charlotte's Web
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Giving Tree
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The Lorax
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • The Eye Book
  • Ghosts
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Secret Garden
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as A Piece of Cake. The story, about his wartime
54 trivia questions
9 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 1352 likes
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 1141 likes