You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Help! I need a book set in....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 774 (774 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2015 07:43AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Let's help each other with finding books for the 2016 challenge.

If you need help finding a book, or know of a great resource, post here.

Bookssetin.com is always a helpful site.

Around the World in 80 Books has helpful lists.

Links past message 3:

In search of scarabs.
Rita Awards List
Caves
Alberta
Another Alberta list
Possible mountain vacation list
Devout
More caves
Australian Authors SciFi and Fantasy
Urban Fantasy set in Australia

message 2: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments https://www.goodreads.com/places

This site has settings listed alphabetically. Click on the setting and books set in that place are revealed.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments This is fabulous! I'm pretty sure I'll be using this thread a lot...

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments If you need any books set in Australia, check out my Australia shelf!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I could use a bit of help. Does anybody know any books with the word 'Scarab' in either the title or subtitle?

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17558 comments That one has me stumped too, Lisa.
I found this list https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8..., which will be good for the butterfly tasks, but not the scarab it seems.

message 8: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Lisa wrote: "I could use a bit of help. Does anybody know any books with the word 'Scarab' in either the title or subtitle?"

Did you search with the word on GR? A fair amount come up, none of which I had on my TBR list.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15384 comments Camilla wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I could use a bit of help. Does anybody know any books with the word 'Scarab' in either the title or subtitle?"

Did you search with the word on GR? A fair amount come up, none of whic..."

I tried that too for Scarab. Quite some options, although on the first two pages the books seem a bit obscure, with often less than 100 ratings.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Camilla wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I could use a bit of help. Does anybody know any books with the word 'Scarab' in either the title or subtitle?"

Did you search with the word on GR? A fair amount come up, none of whic..."

Lol, no I hadn't! My brain is not in gear today! I have just done that now and a lot have come up :) Thanks Camilla!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Let me know if it's going to be too problematic. I may have to switch out the task. There are a lot of books, but they do seem to be a bit obscure. Maybe you'll find a hidden gem.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments I see that a couple of people have already found books with "Scarab" in the title/subtitle and have listed them on their reporting threads so I will leave it well enough alone.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

I remember a friend of mine reading The Swan Thieves and saying it was quite good. I haven't read it myself but it sounds like it will fit the task.

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot even begin to find a book about painting"

France - The Minstrel's Tale is free on Amazon
painting book - The first one that comes to mind is Girl With a Pearl Earring

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments The Da Vinci Code focused on quite a few different paintings but i think you've read that already haven't you Travis?!

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Ooh, on a role, The Goldfinch mentions a painting. I've not read it - anyone who has who can confirm the role of a painting?

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Good ideas. Thanks.

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

Well Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire if you haven't read it or if you've made it through the series that far. I'm reading it now so I didn't really look far for an answer here

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Dec 02, 2015 03:36PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

Do you read classics Sarah? This edition of Lady Audley's Secret Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon has teacups on the cover (although I'm not sure if they count). I read it a couple of years ago and found it pretty enjoyable.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking my fancy at the moment.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

Have you read The Buried Giant? I haven't read it, but I've heard it was good and it was a GR Choice Awards nominee. Maybe looks like a chalice, but might work.

Or what about something like On What Grounds? A bit of a cozy mystery?

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Kristie wrote: "Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking my fancy at the moment."

I haven't read it but the second book in the Temeraire series is called Throne of Jade. I have heard lots of good things about this series and I know there are several people in this group who really enjoy it.

message 26: by Almeta (last edited Dec 02, 2015 04:23PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

I'm having the same problem. There are plenty of books about artists, art and art theft, but about painting itself...I'm stumped.

In Diane A.S. Stuckart's Leonardo da Vinci Mystery series you will find descriptions on how the fresco plaster is prepared, but the rest is about da Vinci and a mystery to solve. I don't know if this would qualify.

message 27: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

I went with Curry A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors by Lizzie Collingham

message 28: by Cherie (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:30PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Lisa wrote: "I haven't read it but the second book in the Temeraire series is called Throne of Jade. I have heard lots of good things about this series and I know there are several people in this group who really enjoy it..."

Some of the Temeraire books could apply to multiple tasks in Europe, China, Africa, Australia and South America. I think they are going to visit North America in the next one, but it is not published yet.

The characters travel across all of Europe and Asia and go to China. They travel the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean in "Dragon Transports - sailing ships" to go to Africa and South America (Peru and Argentina).

message 29: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

I did a search with "painting". You have to wade through the lists, but this looks like you could be interested in it Travis. What Painting Is only 256 pages. I found a couple of door stops.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Lisa wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking my fancy at the moment."

I haven't read it but the second book in the Temeraire series is called Throne of Jade. I have heard lots of good things about this series and I know there are several people in this group who really enjoy it."

Thank you! That is very helpful. I haven't read them yet and I will check them out. :)

message 31: by Cherie (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:46PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Lisa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

Do you read classics Sarah? This edition of [book:Lady Audley's Secret..."

I read it and gave it 5 stars, but did not write a review so I do not even know why right now, but my status comments are a crack-up.

message 32: by Cherie (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:56PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

One of the books that were nominated for the "white cover" theme that you shot down had tea cups on it. :0) I just looked, it was Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell .

message 33: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

Maybe Janice could give a more informative idea of what she wants for "a painting book".

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

Lust for Life is a fictionalized biography of Vincent Van Gogh. It was actually quite good. I thought it was be a bit dry. A solid 4 stars.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2015 07:26PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm struggling find something with a bowl or cup on the front cover that I'd actually like to read. Any ideas?"

The Last Chinese Chef is on my audible wishlist.
The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones

It was actually the book I had in mind when I wrote that task.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Sarah - here's a time travel one: Just One Damned Thing After Another
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1) by Jodi Taylor .

This is one where the cover is really odd for the story.

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Here's another one for you Travis - The Last Nude by Ellis Avery . I'm not sure it's your cup of tea though. Again a fictionalized biography.

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Kristie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking my fancy at the m..."

There is another task that requires you read a book with dragons in it. You could read the first book for it and the second for the Jade task.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Cherie wrote: "Maybe Janice could give a more informative idea of what she wants for "a painting book"."

I was thinking along the lines of a book about an artist who paints, or a painting that had a significant impact (what was the name of that movie ... The Woman in Gold?) That brings to mind - if you know of a book about the lost art stolen by the Nazis, I would accept that. I wasn't thinking about painting as a process, though I wouldn't reject it if you wanted to read a non-fiction book about how to properly paint your house.

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Janice wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking m..."

I saw that, Janice. I had The Great Zoo of China there, but moved it to the set in China spot and put the first Temeraire book in the dragon spot. I don't know if they'll stay there, but at least I have some ideas. :) There are a few that I have multiple books for, which is great.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Any suggestions for a book about a great love?? I know there are a bunch out there. I'm just not a real romance fan and tend to read very little in the genre, so I'm looking for suggestions of books that you may have read and loved. I'd love for it to be a truly great love, not based on a lust/sex relationship. (I don't mind the sex in the book, I just don't want that to be the basis for the relationship. I think it should be deeper.)

message 42: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Sarah wrote: "Ooh, on a role, The Goldfinch mentions a painting. I've not read it - anyone who has who can confirm the role of a painting?"

Yes!! very big role. I quite liked this book. Rather long but a page turner with interesting plot and characters.

message 43: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2461 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I thought the tasks I eyed looked doable but France has me stuck. A painting book. Any ideas. I cannot wven begin to find a book about painting"

The Art Forger's storyline is about paintings - real and forged - it's quite good. You may want to check it out.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Kristie wrote: "Any suggestions for a book about a great love?? I know there are a bunch out there. I'm just not a real romance fan and tend to read very little in the genre, so I'm looking for suggestions of book..."

It's a bit of a chunkster, but Antony and Cleopatra.
Jane Eyre
The Song of Achilles
Outlander

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I did a listopia before I asked about painting. Many of the listed books were there as well but it makes such a difference when a group member says try this one it was good.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49987 comments Another one, Travis - Inamorata. I read that one not all that long ago.

message 47: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Yes, Jane Eyre came to my mind for Kristie too, but not sure if she liked classics.

message 48: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Kristie wrote: "Any suggestions for a book about a great love?? I know there are a bunch out there. I'm just not a real romance fan and tend to read very little in the genre, so I'm looking for suggestions of book..."

I was going to say The Song of Achilles if you haven't read it yet

message 49: by Ariane (last edited Dec 03, 2015 01:03AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Does anybody have an idea for a book with agriculture? Or with a vacation in the mountains?

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Kristie wrote: "Has anyone read anything with "Jade" in the title/subtitle that you would recommend? I found a few, but I don't know any of them and none are striking my fancy at the moment."

Throne of Jade is the second Temeraire book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16