Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK READING CHALLENGES > Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 308 (308 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

All formats are accepted (print, ebooks, audiobooks). Rereads are fine as long as you actually reread the entire book and not just skim it.

Feel free to change your list at any time as needed.

Please note that the Optional Book categories are just that. Optional. You may choose to do none of them or all of them depending on how big of a challenge you want.

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title:
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover:
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) :
4. Any book that was released in 2012.

This time, I’ve tried to keep the optional categories relatively simple.

Optional Categories: ~ any genre
Cover Hunt: Using October’s, November’s, and December’s birthstones as a guide (opal or pink tourmaline, topaz, and tanzanite or turquoise) , read a book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colors.
October 24 is United Nations Day: Read a book set in a country other than the one in which you live (fictional worlds count, too!)
November 21 is World Hello Day: Say hello to a new author or a new series
December 21 is the Solstice: Depending on your hemisphere this is either the shortest or longest day of the year. So for this one, you get to read two books:
a. Read a book with 200 or fewer pages
b. Read a book with 400 or more pages
Out With the Old: Read that book you’ve been putting off all year –OR- the book that will finally make you current in a favorite series (in other words: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended)

You may join the challenge up to the final day of December. If you get a late start it’s fine to back date with any books you started on October 1 or later.

When you've completed a book for the challenge, please come back to this thread and post a NEW comment with something like this:

Christine 1/8 completed
along with your updated list.

Questions? Anything I’ve forgotten? Just ask.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Christine | 752 comments Participant List:

Adam…………………………………………………...10/10
Alice…………………………………………………….8/10
Amyiw……………………………………………...….10/10
Ashley.…………………………………………………10/10
Ashley Marie………………………………………..10/10
Barbara★……………………………………………..9/9
Brandy.....................................................................6/6
Butterflycager.……………………………………..9/10
Carrie.………………………………………………….10/10
Charlotte (Buried in Books)…………………..2/4
Christina (AKA Babbling)……………………...10/10
Christine………………………………………………10/10
Darcy…………………………………………………...10/10
Davena………………………………………………...9/10
Eithne……………………………………………….…2/10
Elidanora……………………………………………..8/10
Emy……………………………………………………..10/10
Fred……………………………………………………..4/10
Jacquie………………………………………………….3/?
Jean…………………………………………….……….10/10
Jenika…………………………………………………..10/10
Jenny…………………………………………..……….8/10
Julia……………………………………………………..10/10
Lady Danielle “The Book Huntress”…….…10/10
Lindsey…………………………………………………4/4
Michelle L……………………………………………10/10
Muriel………………………………………………….10/10
Nairabell………………………………………………0/10
Nakeesha……………………………………………..10/10
Natalie…………………………………………………10/10
Pennynickel………………………………………….7/10
Rose…………………………………………………….6/10
Susan………………………………………...………...5/10
Yvette………………………………………………….1/10

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 33 comments Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

/10

Cover Hunt:
October 24 is United Nations Day:
November 21 is World Hello Day:
December 21 is the Solstice:
Out With the Old:

message 4: by Nakeesha (last edited Dec 28, 2012 01:46PM) (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) 10/10 Completed

DONE 1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Fire: Graceling Realm #2 ★★★

DONE 2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Warrior: The Blades of the Rose #1 ★★★

DONE 3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Severed: Fated #2 ★★★

DONE 4. Any book that was released in 2012: Curio #4: Reversal ★★★★★

DONE 5. Cover Hunt: A Kiss At Midnight: #1 Fairytales ★★★

DONE 6. United Nations Day: Unveiled ★

DONE 7. World Hello Day: Mark of the Witch: The Portal #1 ★

DONE 8. Solstice 200: Curio #3: Craving ★★★★★

DONE9. Solstice 400: Days of Blood and Starlight: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2 ★★★★★

DONE10. Out With the Old: Froi of the Exiles ★★★★

DONE
Craving (Curio, #3) by Cara McKenna Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) by Eloisa James Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer Unveiled (Turner, #1) by Courtney Milan Reversal (Curio, #4) by Cara McKenna Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor Mark of the Witch (The Portal, #1) by Maggie Shayne Severed (Fated, #2) by Sarah Alderson Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta

message 6: by Davena (new)

Davena | 28 comments Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

0/10

2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark The Dacians, #1) by Kresley Cole

4. Any book that was released in 2012: Iced A Dani O'Malley Novel (Fever World, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

Cover Hunt: Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison OR Water by Shauna Granger
October 24 is United Nations Day: ??
November 21 is World Hello Day: Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Out With the Old:

message 7: by Barbara ★ (last edited Oct 28, 2012 09:24PM) (new)

Barbara ★ I'm in but not sure what I'm going to read yet (haven't figured Oct out yet.)

READ: 9/9

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Drink Deep - Chloe Neill 10/28
2. Urban Fantasy: Hard Bitten - Chloe Neill 10/8
3. PNR/Fantasy: The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater 10/2
4. Endlessly - Kiersten White (release 7/24/12) 10/14
Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4) by Chloe Neill The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3) by Kiersten White

5. Cover Hunt: Outside In - Maria Snyder (blue cover)10/12
6. United Nations Day: Good Omens - Neil Gaiman (England) 10/8
7. December 21 is the Solstice:
a. The White Mountains - John Christopher (195 pages) 10/9
b. Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James (532 pages) 10/5
8. Out With the Old: Wages of Sin - Jenna Maclaine (on TBR since 2009) 10/4

Outside In (Insider, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett The White Mountains by John Christopher Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1) by Jenna Maclaine

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 8: by Christina (AKA Babbling) (last edited Dec 20, 2012 06:16PM) (new)

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 41 comments I'm in! :D At the moment, I'm just looking to do the main....

COMPLETED!!
UF Challenge #11
1 October - 31 December 2012
10/10

✔ 1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Black Lament - 12 Nov 12
✔ 2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Summoning the Night - 10 Nov 12
✔ 3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF): Bound by Flame - 5 Oct 12
✔ 4. Any book that was released in 2012: Ember's Kiss - 14 Oct 12

Black Lament (Black Wings, #4) by Christina Henry Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2) by Jenn Bennett Bound by Flame (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #2) by Anna Windsor Ember's Kiss (Dragonfire, #8) by Deborah Cooke

=====================================
✔ Cover Hunt: Blue cover - Changeless - 28 Oct 12
✔ October 24 is United Nations Day: Set in China - The Red Heart of Jade - 21 Oct 12
✔ November 21 is World Hello Day: a new series - Dark Awakening - 11 Nov 12
✔ a. Read a book with 200 or fewer pages - Stepping on Roses, Volume 1 - 14 Dec 12
✔ b. Read a book with 400 or more pages - Mansfield Park (using this addition for page count: Mansfield Park) - 20 Dec 12
✔ Out With the Old: up-to-date: Phantom Shadows - 20 Oct 12

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, #3) by Marjorie M. Liu Dark Awakening (Dark Dynasties, #1) by Kendra Leigh Castle Stepping on Roses, Volume 1 by Rinko Ueda Mansfield Park by Jane Austen Phantom Shadows (Immortal Guardians, #3) by Dianne Duvall

message 9: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Davena wrote: "Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

Hey Davena, I'm going to read the new Kresley Cole series too! I'm also gonna try out her new YA series that's coming out the month before! Hope they're both un-put-downable!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 145 comments Count me in. I need to look over my TBR pile.

message 11: by Jean ~ Kindle Queen (last edited Dec 06, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments Thanks for setting this up, Christine. I think the 3-month challenges are my favorite. I have enough time to complete the challenges, but they don't go too long.

Challenge #11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012
10/10
Finished!

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover Done 10/18/2012
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep Done 10/27/2012
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas Done 10/4/2012
4. Any book that was released in 2012: Bruxa: The Secret Within by A.F. Costa Done 10/11/2012

5. Cover Hunt: Using October’s, November’s, and December’s birthstones as a guide (opal or pink tourmaline, topaz, and tanzanite or turquoise) , read a book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colors. Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clark Done 10/8/2012
6. October 24 is United Nations Day: Read a book set in a country other than the one in which you live (fictional worlds count, too!) Faefever by Karen Marie Moning Done 11/26/2012
7. November 21 is World Hello Day: Say hello to a new author or a new series: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter Done 10/5/2012
8 & 9. December 21 is the Solstice: Depending on your hemisphere this is either the shortest or longest day of the year. So for this one, you get to read two books:
a. Read a book with 200 or fewer pages: (94 pages)Radiant by Cynthia Hand Done 12/5/2012
b. Read a book with 400 or more pages: (549 pages)Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers Done 10/27/2012
10. Out With the Old: Read that book you’ve been putting off all year –OR- the book that will finally make you current in a favorite series (in other words: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended) Hallowed by Cynthia Hand Done 11/24/2012
Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer Estep Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Bruxa by A.F. Costa The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1) by Cassandra Rose Clarke Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5) by Cynthia Hand Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand

message 12: by Alice (last edited Oct 28, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 87 comments I'm In!!!

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher *****
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher

3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):Protector's Mate by Katie Reus *

4. Any book that was released in 2012.Rapture (The Fallen Angels, #4) by J.R. Ward ****

Optional Categories:
Cover Hunt:And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper ****
Using October’s, November’s, and December’s birthstones as a guide, read a book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colors.

October 24 is United Nations Day:The Other by Matthew Hughes ***
Read a book set in a country other than the one in which you live (fictional worlds count, too!) story takes place on the world of Fulda

World Hello Day: Jane Jameson Series: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper book #1****
Say hello to a new author or a New Series.

December 21 is the Solstice: Depending on your hemisphere this is either the shortest or longest day of the year. So for this one, you get to read two books:

Read a book with 200 or fewer pages A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King 34 pages****
Read a book with 400 or more pages: Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher 477 pages

Out With the Old: Dixie Diva Blues by Virginia Brown: Dixie Divas Mysteries: book #3 ***
Read the book that will finally make you current in a favorite series:

message 13: by Amyiw (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:32AM) (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments I'm in but will post books when I actually have a clue :-)

Finished
10/10 complete

OK, started but don't know where I'll put things yet. For now.

1. Any UF: Three Days to Dead, Kelly Meding
2. An UF with a single character on the cover: Hounded, Kevin Hearne
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Archangel's Kiss, Nalini Singh
4. Any book that was released in 2012. Rogue Rider, Larissa Ione

Cover Hunt, white, pink, yellow, or blue: Fool Moon, Jim Butcher (blue)
October 24 is United Nations Day: Eat Prey Love, Kerrelyn Sparks (Thailand)
November 21 is World Hello Day: That Voodoo That You Do, Jodi Redford
Cat Scratch Fever, Jodi Redford
b. Read a book with 400 or more pages : Eternal Rider, Larissa Ione
Out With the Old: Dragon Bound, Thea Harrison been wanting to read this since it came out. Also Born of Fire, Sherrilyn Kenyon

READ
Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh That Voodoo You Do (That Old Black Magic, #1) by Jodi Redford Cat Scratch Fever by Jodi Redford Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9) by Kerrelyn Sparks Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Rogue Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #4) by Larissa Ione Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Born of Fire (The League, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Dec 26, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Jenny | 20 comments I'm in!!

Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012
I'll be back to post books later!

8/10 Completed

Please note that the Optional Book categories are just that. Optional. You may choose to do none of them or all of them depending on how big of a challenge you want.

Basic Categories
✓ 1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Grave Dance 11/08/12
✓ 2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: This Side of the Grave 11/09/12
✓ 3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Heart of Darkness 10/17/12
✓ 4. Any book that was released in 2012. Biting Cold 11/18/12
This time, I’ve tried to keep the optional categories relatively simple.

✓ 5. Cover Hunt: First Grave on the Right 10/10/12
✓ 6. October 24 is United Nations Day: Read a book set in a country other than the one in which you live (fictional worlds count, too!) Relentless 09/24/12
✓ 7. November 21 is World Hello Day: Say hello to a new author or a new series In Flight 12/25/12
8. December 21 is the Solstice: Depending on your hemisphere this is either the shortest or longest day of the year. So for this one, you get to read two books:
b. Read a book with 400 or more pages Web of Lies

✓ 9. Out With the Old: Read that book you’ve been putting off all year –OR- the book that will finally make you current in a favorite series (in other words: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended) One Grave at a Time 12/14/12

Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6) by Chloe Neill First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Relentless (Federation Chronicles, #2) by Lauren Dane In Flight (Up In The Air, #1) by R.K. Lilley Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I'm in, I'll post my choices later.

message 16: by Davena (new)

Davena | 28 comments Nakeesha wrote: "Davena wrote: "Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

Hey Davena, I'm going to read the new Kresley Cole series too! I'm also gonna try out her new YA series that's coming out the mo..."

Yeah I read the MacCarick brothers series and love it... I have been hesitant to start immortals after dark... but i saw this new series coming out so i figure I will check that out and then decide to go back...lol

message 17: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Some of the IAM are goooooood and some are baaaaaad! I enjoyed the first full IAM novel (the prequel, short story was gawd-awful) and the last one which was Lothaire's story was hilariously good. But Cole gives clues and insights and hints in each of her stories to the big picture. You really can't miss a story and expect to 'get the punchline' at the end. Just be prepared to skim some of the novels!

But as I understand it, the Dacians all takes place in another realm that was introduced in Lothaire's story.

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose | 36 comments Question: for UN Day, how are we counting country age? For example, Ireland has been a nation (as in a distinct culture with its own language and traditions) for far longer than the US, but it became independent much later. Would it count as older than the US or younger?

Sincerely,
An International Politics Geek

(P.S.: I'm in. =) )

message 19: by Michelle (last edited Oct 10, 2012 04:45AM) (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Subject to Change

3/10 Completed

Magic Bites

2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover:Unclean Spirits
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) :Lover Awakened
4. Any book that was released in 2012.Risen: A Supernatural Thriller
Cover Hunt: To Love a Witch
United Nations Day: Timeless
November 21 is World Hello Day:Blade Song
a. Read a book with 200 or fewer pages Occupy Space
b. Read a book with 400 or more pages Matterhorn
Out With the Old:Alice in Deadland

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward
Risen A Supernatural Thriller by Jan Strnad To Love a Witch by Debora Geary Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1) by J.C. Daniels Occupy Space by Grady Hendrix Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes Alice in Deadland (Alice in Deadland, #1) by Mainak Dhar

message 20: by Emy (last edited Dec 20, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 9 comments Progress 10/10

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Mark of the Demon
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Uncertain Allies
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Dragon Actually
4. Any book that was released in 2012. Seraphina

Cover Hunt: Using October’s, November’s, and December’s birthstones as a guide (opal or pink tourmaline, topaz, and tanzanite or turquoise) , read a book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colours. Birthmarked
October 24 is United Nations Day: Hammered
November 21 is World Hello Day: Master of Crows
Clan Rathskeller
To Ride Hell’s Chasm
Out With the Old: Read that book you've been putting off all year –OR- the book that will finally make you current in a favourite series (in other words: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended): Undone Deeds

Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5) by Mark Del Franco Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne Master of Crows by Grace Draven Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5) by Kevin Hearne To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts Undone Deeds (Connor Grey, #6) by Mark Del Franco

message 21: by Ashley Marie (last edited Nov 25, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments I'm in!

Completed!
10/10

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: A Kiss Before the Apocalypse

2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Dead Men's Boots

3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF): Guilty Pleasures

4. Any book that was released in 2012: Nocturnal

5. Cover Hunt: Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer

6. United Nations Day: Shadow and Bone

7. World Hello Day: The Lies of Locke Lamora

8. Solstice < 200: Legion

9. Solstice > 400: The Rook

10. Out With the Old: UnWholly (Unwind #2)

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3) by Mike Carey Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton Nocturnal by Scott Sigler The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Legion by Brandon Sanderson The Rook by Daniel O'Malley UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman

message 22: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) Ashley, when you finish "UnWholly" please let me know how you liked it. It took me a month to get through the first three chapters of "Unwind" because it affected me so deeply. But then I flew threw it in two days! I hear Lev returns in the sequel!

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Nakeesha wrote: "Ashley, when you finish "UnWholly" please let me know how you liked it. It took me a month to get through the first three chapters of "Unwind" because it affected me so deeply. But then I flew thre..."

I just read it a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, but not as much as Unwind. I think because everything was so shocking in Unwind.

message 24: by Ashley Marie (last edited Sep 24, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Nakeesha wrote: "Ashley, when you finish "UnWholly" please let me know how you liked it. It took me a month to get through the first three chapters of "Unwind" because it affected me so deeply. But then I flew thre..."

I'll definitely let you know. I felt the same way with Unwind. I describe it to everyone as the best most terrible book I've ever read.
: /

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam (gilgemesh) | 28 comments I'm in. After completing the last challenge I am full of false confidence. :)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Rose wrote: "Question: for UN Day, how are we counting country age? For example, Ireland has been a nation (as in a distinct culture with its own language and traditions) for far longer than the US, but it beca..."

For our purposes, I wouldn't worry about the age of the country. As long as the book is set somewhere outside of where you currently live it works for me. If you're reading historical works that are set in a country that doesn't even exist anymore, that still counts. As long as it's geographically different from where you now live. Does that help?

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Adam wrote: "I'm in. After completing the last challenge I am full of false confidence. :)"

Hopefully you can turn that into genuine confidence.

message 28: by Eithne (new)

Eithne | 66 comments I'm in will post my choices later
love the categories you put together, very fun

message 29: by Rose (new)

Rose | 36 comments Christine wrote: "Rose wrote: "Question: for UN Day, how are we counting country age? For example, Ireland has been a nation (as in a distinct culture with its own language and traditions) for far longer than the US..."

Yes, thank you very much!

message 30: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 15 comments I would like to participate. Will be back later with my list...

message 31: by Adam (new)

Adam (gilgemesh) | 28 comments OK. Here's my list:
0/10

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Monster Hunter International
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Cold Days (I know, it doesn't come out until 11/27, but that still gives me a few weeks to read it)
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : The Wise Man's Fear
4. Any book that was released in 2012: Magnificent Devices
5. Cover Hunt: My Life As a White Trash Zombie
6. United Nations Day: The Midnight Mayor
7. World Hello Day: Soon I Will Be Invincible
8. Solstice < 200: Devil in the Dollhouse
9. Solstice > 400: The Mark of Athena
10. Out With the Old: Goth Girl Rising

Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3) by Shelley Adina My Life As a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie, #1) by Diana Rowland The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift #2) by Kate Griffin Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5) by Richard Kadrey The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan Goth Girl Rising (The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, #2) by Barry Lyga

message 32: by Brandy (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:57AM) (new)

Brandy | 19 comments My list at this moment: 6 reads / 1 reading

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Wraith <- READ 11/04
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: White Night<- READ 11/19
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title:Visions of Heat <- READ 11/6
4. Any book that was released in 2012: La Leyenda del Ladrón <- READ 11/28

Cover Hunt: book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colors.

October 24 is United Nations Day: Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord <- READ 11/09
November 21 is World Hello Day: Say hello to a new author or a new series: On the Edge<- READ 12/01
Out With the Old: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended

Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1) by Phaedra Weldon White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh La Leyenda del Ladrón by Juan Gomez-Jurado Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 33: by Amyiw (last edited Sep 29, 2012 12:30AM) (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Christine wrote: "For our purposes, I wouldn't worry about the age of the country. As long as the book is set somewhere outside of where you currently live it works for me. If you're reading historical works that are set in a country that doesn't even exist anymore, that still counts. As long as it's geographically different from where you now live. Does that help? "

Then does Fantasyland count, like in "About a Dragon"? It is set in a country not my own. :-P

Not that this category is going to give me any problem since it can be any genre and I read plenty regency romances. I'm from the US. Still I might push Simon Green's Something from the Nightside into this slot just to get it off my TBR. I'm still trying to figure it out. Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green

message 34: by Christine (last edited Sep 29, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

Christine | 752 comments Amyiw wrote: "Christine wrote: "For our purposes, I wouldn't worry about the age of the country. As long as the book is set somewhere outside of where you currently live it works for me. If you're reading histor..."

Fictional worlds count, too! Again, as long as they are geographically distinct. A fantasy work set in a totally fictional world is fair game.

An example of a fictional location that wouldn't work for me, as a US resident, would be Anya Bast's Dark Magick series. It's set in the fictional city of Pfeiferburg (a huge faerie reservation), but she makes it clear in the book that this city is somewhere in the eastern US. Drat!

I enjoyed the Nightside series. It's pretty bizarre and at time gruesome, but I enjoyed how different it is from what I usually read.

message 35: by Natalie (new)

Natalie A. I'm participating. I will do all ten books. I'll have list soon...

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Welcome, everyone! We can start reading those books soon!

message 37: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Christine wrote: "Welcome, everyone! We can start reading those books soon!"
2 days cannot come soon enough. Already read 4 books since the last 3 month challenge.

message 38: by Butterflycager (last edited Sep 29, 2012 12:52PM) (new)

Butterflycager | 15 comments Okay, here's my list:

1. Any UF title: Crave by J.R. Ward
2. UF title with single character on cover: Changes by Jim Butcher
Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher
3. Fantasy/PNR title: Under a Vampire Moon by Lynsay Sands
4. 2012 release: The White Forest by Adam McOmber
5. Cover hunt Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon
Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon
6. Set in country besides U.S. - Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (set in Russia)
7. New author/series: Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
8. Solstice
A. 200 or fewer pages

B. 400 or more pagesGhost Story by Jim Butcher (477 pages)
9. Out with the old Cold Days by Jim Butcher

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Butterflycager wrote: "Okay, here's my list:

1. Any UF title: Crave by J.R. Ward
2. UF title with single character on cover: Changes by Jim Butcher
Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher ..."

It looks like you have the same Dresden Files books left to read as I do. I guess I better get a move on before Cold Days is released.

message 40: by Yvette (new)

Yvette | 4 comments I am in, looking forward to the challenge.

message 41: by Elidanora (last edited Dec 28, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Elidanora | 41 comments I´m in!

8/10
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Magic Bites ; Ilona Andrews11/22/2012
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Heartless ; Gail Carriger11/11/2012
3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Ghost of a Chance ; Yasmine Galenorn 11/30/2012
4. Any book that was released in 2012: Widow s Web ; Jennifer Estep 11/4/2012

5. Cover Hunt: Sourcery; Terry Pratchett 12/18/2012
6. United Nations Day: La hija de la medianoche; Karen Chance 11/18/2012
7. World Hello Day: Night World No. 1 ;L.J. Smith
8. Solstice a)Cuentos Fantásticos Argentinos 12/12/2012
9. Solstice b)Atlantis Jack Howard 1 ; Gibbins David
10. Out With the Old: The Switch; Lynsay Sands 12/27/2012

message 42: by Natalie (last edited Oct 01, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Natalie A. 0/10 COMPLETED

1. Any UF Title: Demon Song by Cat Adams - IN PROGRESS

2. UF Title (Single Character): Drink Deep by Chloe Neill

3. Any Fantasy or PR Title: Midnight Enchantment by Anya Bast

4. Released Book in 2012: Shaded Vision by Yasmine Galenorn

5. Cover Hunt: Shadow Heir by Richelle Mead

6. United Nations: Darkness Devours by Keri Arthur

7. World Hello Day: To Walk the Night by E.S. Moore

8. Solstice (200 pages or less): Hansel and Gretel are Dead by Kevin Richey

9. Solstice (400 pages or more): Lothaire by Kresley Cole

10. Out With the Old: Vampires Dead Ahead by Cheyenne McCray

Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3) by Cat Adams Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill Midnight Enchantment (Dark Magick, #4) by Anya Bast
Shaded Vision (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #11) by Yasmine Galenorn Shadow Heir (Dark Swan, #4) by Richelle Mead Darkness Devours (Dark Angels, #3) by Keri Arthur To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1) by E.S. Moore Hansel and Gretel Are Dead (Zombie Fairy Tales #2) by Kevin Richey Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole Vampires Dead Ahead (Night Tracker, #5) by Cheyenne McCray

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 41 comments Christine,

Was it just an oversight or did the rule about having the book on hand/in TBR pile BEFORE the start of challenge go away?

I ask because tomorrow, Ember's Kiss comes out and it would be a shame if I had to wait THREE MONTHS to read a DRAGON book for this challenge. ;-)

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Christina (AKA Babbling) wrote: "Christine,

Was it just an oversight or did the rule about having the book on hand/in TBR pile BEFORE the start of challenge go away?"

I decided to do away with that requirement. Folks can still do it that way if they want, but three months is a long time to plan ahead for some of us. And sometimes there is a new release that's just perfect for the challenge!

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 41 comments Christine wrote: "Christina (AKA Babbling) wrote: I decided to do away with that requirement. Folks can still do it that way if they want, but three months is a long time to plan ahead for some of us. And sometimes there is a new release that's just perfect for the challenge!"

Oh, goody. :D Thanks!

message 46: by Darcy (last edited Oct 12, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments 10 of 10 Completed

1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: Death's Rival by Faith Hunter 10/3

2. An Urban Fantasy Title with a single character on the cover: Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire 10/1

3. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : The Crown of Thorns by Rae Carson 10/12

4. Any book that was released in 2012. Outpost by Ann Aguirre 10/4

Optional Categories:

5. Cover Hunt: Using October’s, November’s, and December’s birthstones as a guide (opal or pink tourmaline, topaz, and tanzanite or turquoise) , read a book with a predominately white, pink, yellow, or blue cover, or any combination of the four colors. Sunset Bay by Susan Mallery 10/3

6. October 24 is United Nations Day: Read a book set in a country other than the one in which you live (fictional worlds count, too!) The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna 10/8

7. November 21 is World Hello Day: Say hello to a new author or a new series Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson 10/2

8. a. Read a book with 200 or fewer pages Endurance by by Ann Aguirre 10/4
9. b. Read a book with 400 or more pages Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon 10/10

10. Out With the Old: Read that book you’ve been putting off all year –OR- the book that will finally make you current in a favorite series (in other words: the most recent release in an ongoing series, or the final book in a series that has ended) Legacies by Mercedes Lackey 10/6

Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5) by Faith Hunter Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) by Seanan McGuire The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson Outpost (Razorland, #2) by Ann Aguirre Sunset Bay by Susan Mallery The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson Endurance (Razorland, #1.5) by Ann Aguirre Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Legacies (Shadow Grail, #1) by Mercedes Lackey

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 33 comments Challenge # 11: October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012

1/10

Cover Hunt:
October 24 is United Nations Day: Ward Against Death (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #1) by Melanie Card (Oct 2nd)
November 21 is World Hello Day:
Out With the Old:

Ward Against Death (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer, #1) by Melanie Card

message 48: by Ashley Marie (last edited Oct 03, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Completed 1/10

I just read the novella Legion, and loved it! The first line is a pretty good teaser for the whole story, "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad."

Stephen Leeds is a man who can learn anything at all in a very short period of time - he develops "aspects" with distinct personalities that only he can see and communicate with that are experts in specific fields. In the novella, he's called upon to use his unique abilities to discover the whereabouts of a stolen camera...one that can be used to take pictures of the past.

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "Completed 1/10

I just read the novella Legion, and loved it! The first line is a pretty good teaser for the whole story, "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, ho..."

That is an awesome opening line!

message 50: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 19 comments Ok I am going to try this time since I couldn't finish the last time I joined - new job and all.

Any Urban Fantasy Title -
Don't Kill the Messenger by Eileen Rendahl
Urban Fantasy Title w/Single Character on Cover -
Deadtown - Nancy Holzner
Fantasy/Paranormal Romance -
First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones
Any Book Released in 2012 -
A Trace of Moonlight - Allison Pang
Cover Hunt -
Heartless - Gail Carriger (pink)
UN Day -
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness ( Read Oct 2, 2012)
World Hello Day -
Spider's Bite - Jennifer Estep
Solsitice - 200 pg or less -
Dead, Undead or Somewhere in Between - JA Saare
Solsitce - 400 pg or more -
Cast in Shadows - Michelle Sagara West
Out with the Old -
A Perfect blood - Kim Harrison or Cold Days - Jim Butcher

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7