Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:

The Switch

When they first met Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, Charlie and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were escaping from their uncle—taking turns acting the young gentleman to avoid detection. But Charlie couldn't help falling head over heels—and out of a window—for the handsome lord. Of course, that was only the beginning; Lord Radcliffe insisted on showing "him" and her lovely sist ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 362 pages
Published February 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 1999)

Jillian
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I needed a change of pace from my usual paranormal / sci fi fare and I LOVE THIS BOOK!!

The Switch refers to twin sisters who are trying to escape horrible marriages that their uncle is selling them into. One sister dresses up as a man and hijinks ensue. First off let me say with all of the role switching, things could get a bit confusing. But it was HILARIOUS to hear Radcliff's inner thoughts when he thought that he was lusting after Charles who was actually Charlotte. The characters had such sl
Ian
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Running from forced marriages, Charlie (Charlotte) and Elizabeth flee from their home and their evil uncle in the dead of the night. But two young women traveling on their own will draw too much attention so in an effort to avoid raising eyebrows, Charlie dons the clothing of a young man.

Unfortunately they haven't even cleared the window before they are caught by William Radcliffe who upon hearing a slightly altered version of their story decides to help them. And so begins the hijinks.

This bo
BookLover
This was my first Lynsay Sands read. She has a real knack for writing oddball female leads and alpha males which are completely endearing. Charlie was hilarious and poor Lord Radcliffe never knew what hit him when he rescued Charlie & Elizabeth and took them under his protection.

Amongst mistaken genders/identities, Lord Radcliffe unwittingly ends up taking in stray animals, a prostitute and orphaned family… all in a hilarious way. I couldn’t stop laughing at his reaction to Charlie’s antics
Katrina Passick Lumsden
OK, so this one's pretty bad. Not terrible, but it's definitely one I'll never bother with again. Charlie is obnoxious and overbearing, and one can't help but think Lord Radcliffe is a bit of a simpleton for not figuring things out long before the end.

But it was towards the end, when Charlie once again rushes headlong into trouble without any thought to the consequences, that I decided I hate this story. Seriously, the girl's an idiot. So if you don't want to read about a termagant with the int
Ange
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. A little bit silly but hilarious.

I know comedy is a matter of opinion. However, I'm pretty sure most people can find something to laugh at within the pages of this book.

Basically the plot revolves around two sisters: Beth and Charlie.

They are orphans and under the care of an evil uncle who cares nothing for them and plans to marry them off to old/cruel men who would use them as glorified incubators for their heirs.

Charlie (Charlotte) is a feisty young girl who will not a
Mariana
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I did not expect to really like this book based on some reviews I read. I did, however, need a book to listen to; and this one was available at my local library.

This book is a ridiculous farce. It is not plausible or historically accurate. As long as you can enjoy a fantastical gender switching HR, this story is amusing.
Jane Stewart
Pleasant and enjoyable romance novel.

I debated between giving this 3 or 4 stars. When I finished reading it, my reaction was I liked it and I had no problems with it. That fits my definition of 3 stars. I wanted to give it more than 3, but I decided to stay with my initial reaction and definition.

It's a fun story about twin sisters Beth and Charlie (Charlotte) who run away from their uncle who plans to sell them as brides. To reduce their chance of discovery, they dress as a boy and a girl, taki
Thenia
The story of two twin sisters, Charlie and Elizabeth, who are running away from their greedy uncle and the marriages he's basically sold them to.

In order to avoid notice and be able to travel alone, Charlie is pretending to be a man and Elizabeth's cousin, escorting her to London. Unfortunately, they encounter a good Samaritan as soon as their adventure begins, in the form of Lord Radcliffe, a nobleman who feels for them and decides to take them under his protection.

Deciding to go along with thi
Lauren
1 Star

Twin sisters, Charlotte “Charlie” and Elizabeth Westerly, are on the run from an uncle determined to marry them off to the highest bidders. Escaping out a window, Charlie, disguised as a boy, collides with Lord Jeremy Radcliffe, who takes it upon himself to aid the “brother” and sister. Alternating between male and female costumes, Charlie’s attraction to Radcliffe only increases the more time they spend together, but can she trust him with her secret?

Utterly ridiculous!

Lynsay Sa
Britta
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Beth and Charlie are caught red handed. Or red ... dressed. Trying the sneak out the window of an inn that they and their uncle are staying at, Lord Jeremy William Radcliff comes upon them and berates them for trying to leave the inn without paying. Charlie is dressed as a boy even though she is a girl.

The pair (identical twins) explain that they are running away from their uncle (who is their guardian) because he is marrying one of them off to a brutal man who only wants to sire a son and is s
Lisa
This one was okay. It started out good but the whole cross-dressing thing went on for too long and the multiple endings really dragged the story down while also launching it into throwing-popcorn-at-the-screen levels of GTFOOH.

(view spoiler)
Desi
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and amusing. Pretty much preposterous plot but the gimmick carried to the end.

What was rather unnecessary was when they drew the hero into it for no logical reason in the final scenes. His garb added nothing to the plan.

And I really though the uncle supplied sufficient villainy. There was no need to draw a random character in as a new bad guy, or to create crimes out of an already adequately explained years' old accident.

Other than that complaint it had a quite a few laughs, the pac
Annie
This book was so, completely, ridiculously bad that it ended up good. The plot was flimsy at best, and from what I've seen in this book, Sands is the best example possible of telling instead of showing. Case in point, at one point early on in the book Radcliffe teaches Charlie how to shoot. Instead of actually showing us the encounter, and the nuances in the H/h's interactions that would signal their attraction to each other, Sands skips the scenes right out and instead makes Radcliffe recall in ...more
Jade
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
*sigh* My first thought after sighing is, Why did I read this *rap?. How did I even get my hands on this book? Then, I remember that I have read other Sands books in the Argenue line and have liked them. Also, I remember getting this at the 10 for $1 bin at my used Book Heaven. I see why it was that price. It was terrible, pretty much from beginning to end.

I am both a cheap drunk and a cheap reader. Buy me a Margarita and I'm toast. Entertain me and distract me with a decent story and interestin
Caroline Yamashita
Quando li a sinopse, parei tudo o que estava fazendo para ler.
Eu SABIA que seria muito engraçado.
E foi! E foi também incrível!
Charlotte e Elisabeth são gêmeas. Seu tio Harry as vendeu para casamento com uns caras muito esquisitos, um com fama de assassino de esposas, já que era viúvo por 3 vezes e o outro como pervertido.
Então as duas moças resolvem fugir, mas não como duas irmãs. Charlotte vira Charles! Um menino.
Eis que estão fugindo e se encontram com Radcliffe, um lorde inglês que promete a
Mya
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Switch by Lynsay Sands (Audio Edition)
Performed by: Fiona Hardingham

♥ ♥ ♥ This is the first audio book I have listened to that I have not read previously. I had read a few reviews on it and was expecting some silliness - which I got and didn't mind. There were some chuckles as well. Charlie (Charlotte) and Beth were good characters. I liked how they switched often and the resulting confusion for poor Radcliff was amusing.

I do agree with one reviewer that when the switch was revealed to Radc
Shannon

The Characters

Charlotte “Charlie”
Elizabeth “Beth”
Lord Jeremy Radcliff - I was quite confused at the end of the story when Charlie calls him Jeremy, during most of the book he just goes by Radcliff

Other various friends, foes and waifs.

The Story

A dizzying tale of twins searching for freedom from their oppressive/abusive uncle and his machinations. Or at least that is the way it starts out. As we continue we find a love story, adventure and even more dastardly foes.

All and all
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Yay for gender-bending and cross-dressing and twins switching places! This story was so fun and I honestly don't think I've read anything like it. I preferred Charlie, the twin who was more adept at playing the brother -- and the one who got herself into predicament after predicament. And, sure, it would have been easier -- and more realistic -- had they simply informed Lord Radcliffe of their situation, but it would not have been nearly as hilarious.
Kristi
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This started being something of a romp, but it got excessive after a while. The hero was one dimensional and the disguise thing carried on longer than I liked.
Elley Murray
If I had to pick a favorite trope, it would be women disguised as men. Ever since I was 11 and read Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness series, I was hooked. I especially love when the male lead gets feelings for the woman in her man-disguise and starts to question his sexuality (and/or sanity!), or decided he loves whom he loves regardless of their gender (that last doesn’t happen often, I will admit).

I love that Charlie and Beth trade off who is Elizabeth (the sister) and who is Charles (the
Desi
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Leído en Agos 2010

JUEGO DE GEMELAS
La primera vez que Charlie y su hermana gemela Elizabeth se toparon con Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, estaban huyendo de su tío. Pero Charlie no puso las cosas fáciles y cuando estaban saltando por la ventana, en vez de caer sobre sus pies en el suelo, cayó directamente sobre el apuiesto noble. Pero eso no fue todo, sino que Lord Radcliffe insistió en mantenerlos a salvo a "él" y su hermana.
¿Cómo conseguía hacer que sus piernas temblasen? Con cada roce, Radcli
Tetty Marlinda
#163 for 2018
Genre: Historical Romance
Amy
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
What the what. I borrowed this book book from the library because it is read by one of my favorite audiobook narrators and I generally enjoy the regency romance genre. However, this was batshit bonkers. Just ridiculous. I almost got permanently stuck in an eye roll Liz Lemon style listening to this. Skip it.
Christine Aeschbacher
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me! I didn’t expect it to be as good as it was. There were a lot of twists and turns—possibly two too many twists toward the end, but I let it go because it was adorable. The characters were very sweet! I enjoyed seeing the interaction between the twins. The romance was steamy.

I highly doubt that this situation is, in any way, possible, but it was a fun book nonetheless. The audiobook was fantastic—narrated by my favorite narrator Fiona Hardingham!
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
by Lynsay Sands

Genre: Historical Romance

When they first met Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, Charlie and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were escaping from their uncle - taking turns acting the young gentleman to avoid detection. But Charlie couldn't help falling head over heels - and out of the window - for the handsome lord. Of course, that was only the beginning: Lord Radcliffe insisted on showing "him" and her lovely sister safely to London.

But how could he do that? With every touch, Ra
Lisarenee
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. Very funny, fast paced, and thoroughly enjoyable. This is now my favorite book by Sands. Set in England. About a set of orphaned identical twins who decide to take their fate into their own hands. They runaway from their uncle and their undesirable prospective bridegrooms in search of more acceptable husbands. Their uncle, who ran the family estate into debt, is basically selling the twins into marriage to whomever will pay the right price. Their plan is to escape to another unc ...more
♥Katie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!

This was my first book by Lynsay Sands and I absolutely loved her writing. She had my interest in the first scene of the book with Radcliffe watching Beth climb out a window on the shoulders of her "brother" Charles. The humor and comedy in the book was great, that I actually laughed out loud a couple times, very rare an author can make me do that.

I absolutely loved the plot device of needing Charlotte to disguise herself as "Charles" in their attempt to escape their uncle's
Chumchum_88
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been a loooooooong while since the last time I read a Lynsay Sands book and I loooooooved this book sooooo much.

- I've always had a thing for cross-dressing XD so I was totally eager to reading this book

- I've liked both the hero and the heroine, both were very responsible people and I liked the chemistry between them

- Even though the heroine was a twin she obviously was the responsible adult

- I loved how the hero and the other guy were attracted to the right twin even when they change thei
Amyiw
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-2016, historical
Cute, a bit fun, but very improbable. Charlie starts out as the boy then switches with her sister. I really liked the story of the sister and her romance. She ends up with growth and is a very likable character. Charlie was a little too naive to pull off the boy though. When she is taken to a brothel it takes too long for her to figure it out. And again, what happens, improbable. Then there are two climatic endings. Just when you think it is over or a epilogue is coming, the true villain is reve ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 12:20PM
  • Splendor
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • What an Earl Wants
  • His Immortal Embrace
  • Lady Rogue
  • Highland Fire
  • Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)
  • Wish List
  • The Last Knight
  • The Lady's Secret
  • A Tale of Two Vikings (Viking I, #7)
  • Five Gold Rings
  • A Mother's Way
  • Lord Beast
  • Once an Angel
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Seduced
  • The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)
LYNSAY SANDS is the nationally bestselling author who is known for her hysterical historicals as well as the popular Argeneau/Rogue Hunter vampire series. With her witty and charming personality, Sands describes books as, “Waking dreams or stories, tales to amuse, entertain and distract us from everyday life.” She’s been writing stories since grade school and considers herself incredibly lucky to ...more
“How many times have I told you never listen to a person's words; watch their actions to see what is in their heart. A person can say many things they do not mean." Charlie to Beth” 2 likes
“How did you convince her to remarry you?” Tomas asked curiously, drawing Radcliffe from his thoughts.
Making a face, he admitted, “I had to draw up a contract stating that I would never again condescend to her. That I would discuss business with her on a daily basis were she interested, and…”
“And?”
He sighed unhappily. “And that I would take her to my club dressed as a man.”
Tomas gave a start. “What?”
“Shh,” Radcliffe cautioned, glancing nervously around to be sure that they had not been overheard. No one seemed to be paying attention to them. Most of the guests were casting expectant glances toward the back of the church, hoping to spot the brides who should have been there by now. Glancing back to Tomas, he nodded. “She was quite adamant about seeing the club. It seems she was jealous of Beth’s getting with those ‘hallowed halls’-her words, not mine-and she was determined to see inside for herself.”
“Have you taken her there yet?”
“Nay, nay. I managed to put her off for quite some time, and then by the time she lost her patience with my stalling, she was with child and did not think the smoky atmosphere would be good for the baby. I am hoping by the time it is born and she is up and about again, she will have forgotten-“ A faint shriek from outside the church made him pause and stiffen in alarm. “That sounded like Charlie.”
Turning, he hurried toward the back of the church with Tomas on his heel. Crashing through the church doors, they both froze at the top of the steps and gaped at the spectacle taking place on the street below. Charlie and Beth, in all their wedding finery, were in the midst of attacking what appeared to be a street vendor. Flowers were flying through the air as they both pummeled the man with their bouquets and shouted at him furiously.
“Have I mentioned, Radcliffe, how little I appreciate the effect your wife has had on mine?” Tomas murmured suddenly, and Radcliffe glanced at him with amazement.
“My wife? Good Lord, Tomas, you cannot blame Beth’s sudden change on Charlie. They grew up together, for God’s sake. After twenty years of influence, she was not like this.”
Tomas frowned. “I had not thought of that. What do you suppose did it, then?”
Radcliffe grinned slightly. “The only new thing in her life is you.”
Tomas was gaping over that truth when Stokes slipped out of the church to join them. “Oh, dear. Lady Charlie and Lady Beth are hardly in the condition for that sort of behavior.”
1 likes