I have watched all the Harry Potter films loads of times and I love them but is it worth it reading the books if I know what is going to happen?

Lila YES
YES
YES
The movies were quite good but the magic that's in the book just isn't there. I'm a huge HP fan and I'm pretty sure about this. Hope this helps!
Shruthi yup! I didn't want to read it (5 years ago) because it seemed so popular and everyone talked about so i knew everything that'll happen but the books were 1000000 times better than the movies. And J.K Rowling makes everything seem better (be prepared to be blown away).
bro YES!! The book is a thousand times better the the movie. And J.K. Rowling (the writer) is an awesome writer!
Chloe Levering Yes! The books give you SO much more knowledge of Harry's background and explain what's going on! They leave out a lot in the movies (about 20%) and sometimes even add things that are irrelevant. I totally think that you should read the whole series. :))
Thomas I watched all of the movies long before I read the books. In fact I did not read the books until my Sophomore year of high school, I am currently a Freshman in college. I knew most of what was going to happen but the thing is the books are so much more detailed that you really don't know what is going to happen. The characters are seen so much more that if they die you may actually cry, I know I did even when I knew what was going to happen in an entire chapter. I used to just like Harry Potter and now I am obsessed with the series.
Sara Murray YES
YES
YES
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read the HP series 4 times and the books r sooooooo much better!!!! The movies leave out a bunch of important information. But if u do decide to read the series read it all the way through. Not just 1 or 2 of the books. If your going to read a couple of them u might as well read all of them!!!!!
Jeremiah
Jaden McNally YES
Enough said.
The films are absolute crap compared to the books. The books are incredible; the films just can't measure up.
Reyna Marie It is completely worth it. The movies are awesome, yet the books are so much better, as books usually are compared to their films. I think you'll come to enjoy the novels just as much.
Jo
Megan Wiseman It'll be the best decision you've made in your life if you read the books. I watched the first few movies before I read the books (only because I was too young to read) the books are so much more magical and deep than what the movies can ever achieve. As they say the books are way better than the movies and it can not be truer for this series
Jasmine YESS! The books are better and even more interesting than the movies. You'll know the shocking truths in the stories!
Sophia Chen yes definitely because you'll know which part is good and which part to read and watch !!!
Guilherme I do believe that you should read the books. It´s definitely worth reading because they leave loads of things out of the movies. So much more knowledge about harry´s backgroud.
Solace Yes!!! There is a lot of amazing plots that the movies missed, and you feel more of a connection to the characters.
Reshna Chittanattil DEFINITELY!!The movies have missed out on a good chunk of the book and all the other books actually....nothing's greater and more satisfying than reading the series over and over again....
Suzanne How can you read the book?
Bailey Davis Yes the book hose into some much more detail and talks about a lot of the stuff that happens in the book that dose not happen in the movie
Kadybug OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should the books have more details than the movie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maya Behura Yes definitely!!! There are so many things that the movies left out and the magic is there in the movies, but not entirely. Although I'm not a fan of the writer, I would recommend giving the series a try (and pretend Emma Watson wrote the books).
Johnwilliam898 I watched the movies. definitely worth it. I've download the .
J.K Potter i didnt wanna read this before (10 years ago) because i thought the book and movie were the same but the book blew me away i love it so much J.K Rowling is a amazing writer i recommend this book
Eliyah The movies just don't capture everything the books have to offer! If you think you know what happens you might be surprised how much the movies changed from what happened in the series!
Aj To be honest I felt this way to but after reading the first book I realized there's always more description, events, and room for imagination when you read the books. There are also parts of the books that aren't in the movies so you're really missing out. I highly recommend reading the books even if you have already watched the movies.

ps: it will get boring but you won't regret reading it.
André Sobral
Leeanne There is so much more in the books than the movies! There are so many parts of the story that had to be removed because they weren't essential to the stories endings so you won't know what's going to happen. J. K. Rowling is an incredible writer that will make you feel like you are watching a completely different version of the movies you've seen. There are so many beloved characters they took out of the movies and some of the characters in the movies were different than in the books. You will love the books and wonder how you could have waited so long to read them!
Bethany Yes it is!! It gives more information and anyway I would read the books a million times!
Diya Yes !The books will always be better than the movies!
Jeyasri No,if one knows what is going to happen next, there will be no thrill in overcoming them.. It is also suitable for our life....
Rach YES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feather King I read the book and then I watched the movie!! There was so much left out! You should totally read the books!!!
Stu Definitely! The books are much richer!
Amie Liu OMG Yes I watched the movies and i'm currently reading the books love it.
Thomas Even though the movies cover pretty much all of the major plot points and give you a good outline of the Harry Potter saga, I would highly recommend reading through the books if you haven't already. The books have a quality that just can't be captured on the big screen, and there are funny little quirks and oddities that J.K. Rowling included that give the books a certain charm. Having read the books before the movies, I can tell you that the books were definitely a worthwhile experience for me.
Lunascope YES!!!!! TOTALLY!!!!
THE BOOKS HAVE SO MANY MORE DETAILS. IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A TRUE POTTERHEAD THEN READ THE BOOKS! ALSO THERE ARE A TON OF HILLARIOUS STUFF INCLUDING SASSY MOMENTS WITH HARRY! THE MOVIE LEAVES OUT SOME OF THE BEST PARTS LIKE DUDLEY'S TONGUE IN GOBLET OF FIRE AND HARRY TELLING THE DURSLEYS ABOUT SIRIUS! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? READ THE BOOKS!!!!!
Megna K PLEASE READ THE BOOK!! YOU WON'T REGRET!!!
Louisa Yes it is worth reading the books as most of the books are quite different to the movies.
Lex AK I would. Personally I liked the books better, they left some of the book's character and details ( in a few cases, scenes ) out in the movies.
Shailendra Modi The portions good in the movies (action) are the most boring in the books. But the portions good in the books are either totally left out or very unimpressive in the movies. The movies only show dialogues but the books have a lot more, like background commentary. The lore described in the books is very interesting when read but cannot be expressed/exhibited in cinema. So my vote is definitely read the books.
Suzy Definitely Yes! I read the books first, and was hesitant about the films as I loved the characters so much in my mind's eye. The characters were faithfully reproduced on film. The books have so much more in them than the movies. I'm reading them to my daughter who saw the movies first and she's hooked on the books now.
Jason Hurbon yes , it is worth it . I watched the movies first to, and now i just started reading the books , and Olivia is right the books so far and the movie you will find out that they are different in some ways .You will find that people in the movie say some things that the different ones say the same thing in the book . I just got threw reading the chamber of secrets , and now im reading sorcerer's stone .
Walter I agree with Olivia,the movies aren't vary good representations of the series or Rowling as an author. I have to say that as movies they where pretty good though.oh,and I like your pic Olivia.(:
Misi Cate Ahhh, but you DON'T know what is going to happen. There is so much in the books that isn't in any of the movies. You might think you know because you've read the books, but that's like seeing the shadow of what's happening rather than seeing the actual THING in living color. You get a general idea, but you don't see where one thing starts and another begins with a shadow. That's how it is with the Wizarding World in the movies. In the books, you get so much more ~ very rich detail.
Callie Le Yes, Yes, and Yes!
Nienke Hazenoot Absolutely! The movies leave out or only briefly touch upon so many details that I found important. Three first two films are pretty accurate, though. But from #3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) the differences and missing information becomes apparent.

Some films cut a few things but still stay true to the books and have all the relevant information. In that case, the books does provide more dept but not more plot. This is NOT the case for the harry potter films. They omit relevant things. Plus: the books display a more fleshed out wizarding world and give a stage to all minor characters without making anyone feel redundant. The films recast minor characters (quidditch team, classmates, etc) so often that you can barely keep a tag on who s who.

My mom liked the first four films, but tuned out halfway through Order of the Phoenix cause half of the time she had no idea what was going on. She's not a fantasy reader and therefore gave up on three franchise entirely. Which is a true shame and I think this says enough.
LUIZ FELIPE That's an old question, so I'll give a general answer for those with similar doubts: probably not. Harry Potter isn't very good as literature, because JK was never good at worldbuilding, although she always insisted on it, and was never good at planning things ahead for consistent writing, although she keeps lying about that, and her writing is overall very shallow. I've read all of the books (except for Chamber of Secrets) when I was a kid, and saw all of the movies, and I'd say that the adaptations do a better job as movies than the originals do as books: there's some decent acting, cinematography and score to make up for how bad the writing can get, and most of what was left out either makes no difference, because the movies cover everything that's actually important for the story, or results in a better paced story. Unless you're a parent trying to get your young kid interested in reading, or you're younger than 15, just stick to the movies if you're really interested in knowing about the story, and look for something better to read, instead.
Claire Zimmerman Oh YES!!! The books are always better. Nothing like the original!!
Olivia ¨Something very magical happens when you read a good book¨
J.K Rowling
So YEEEES!!
Eleanor Pearlstein Yes! The movies leave out so much!!!
Fiona YES!!!!!!!!!!!!The book is a thousand times better the the movie. And J.K. Rowling (the writer) is an awesome writer!!!!!In the movie, big D has very few silly scenes. But in the book you can see more comprehensively.
Paige Turner I admit Harry Potter movies are better than the movies for many other books, but reading it gives a completely different experience and perspective. So YES READ IT!
Aditya It absolutely is!! The book contains the scenes and sequences which were omitted in the movies
So I would recommend you to read the books!
Riddhima Rohatgi Yes, it's truly worth reading. First when I read book and then watched movie. I subsequently realized that movie doesn't show everything which in the book. It's has cut some parts. Movie is awesome, but reading book had it's own fun and excitement.
Bethany YES! Do read them! There is something really magical about the books that the movies didn't have. And you'll notice all the things that weren't in the movies.
Sydney YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abhinav Desai Yes !!! The Books are totally worth it. With movies you would just admire the Wizarding World but if you want to dive into it , just read the books . J.K Rowling is such a great writer. reading Harry Potter books is an experience like no other.
Sweety reading the books are totally worth it
they have more story line than movies
and the jokes and romance you completely wont regret it
Dihain Yes,you should read the book, because they change some things in the movie so it isn't the same thing
Mavis 69 420 666 No, they're pretty lame. Goosebumps, on the other hand, those books are fuckin rad.
Ellie Oh yeah.
READ THAT BOOK!!! They are honestly better than the movies.
Eloise The books were better, so, yeah.
Rishima THE BOOKS HAVE SO MANY MORE SCENES THAN THE MOVIE DOES!!! YOU SHOULD READ ALL OF THEM!!!
Amisha YES the books and movies might go based of the same things but you get more info out the book and if you just watch the movies you miss certain parts. For example later in the series there is a werewolf and the movie has like 0 info on him when in the book there is at least a page or 2 of background info and that's just one thing they forgot. So reading the books then watching the movie is best but even if you saw the movie you should read the books! Hope the wolf part wasnt a spoiler
Jane ☁️ Certainly YES! I have read the books before I saw the movies, after reading I have watched the movies and then in few months read the books again and I still really enjoyed them even though I knew what is going to happen.
I have read all of the "Harry Potter" about 2 or 3 times but I really enjoyed it and enjoy it now.
Abigail 100% yes. The books are wayyyyyy better than the movies and gives a ton more description.
Elisa Yes! I just started reading the first book after seeing the films multiple times! I definitely think it's worth it!
Ada YES, IT IS. Just trust me on this one.
Michael Eric The books are 10x better than the movies
Viv YES.

I've watched all the movies a thousand times and thought I'd be somewhat disengaged and bored if I read them since I already know the plot inside out, but I've just finished reading Philosopher's Stone and let me tell you... I thought I knew Harry Potter well, but I didn't until I read it. It captures so much more detail and I can't wait to finish reading the series!
Lilly Of course!!! Like Lila said, the magic in the hook is waaaaay better.
Bro_bro_fet YESS!! It is worth all your time.
Allison Ernest YESSSSSSSSSS the books are soooooooooooooo much better
Karen Park OMG YASS!!! I loved the movies but the book is simply magical. Honest.
kate ♥ YES. You will love them. And then you will love the movies even more!!
Mango Yes, reading the book is definitely worth it. The movie skips parts that were originally in the book And it's just so much more magical when you get to imagine the world for yourself while reading...

Zoom YES! You absolutely must

As someone who has also seen the films first, I too was unsure if I should get the books. But I did, and I was not disappointed.

See, the books are quite big and there are many characters, and for movies, that's a problem because they don't have the time to include EVERYTHING.

For example, I didn't know who Peeves was because he got completely scripted out of the movies.

Trust me, reading the books is kinda like finding the missing pieces to a puzzle.
Isabelle YES!!! The movies miss out on SO much, like, 'Theres no need to call me sir proffeser', Marvelo and Morfin Gaunt, Bob Ogden, and the potions test in book 1!! You MUST read the books!!! There SO much better than the movies!!!
Abbey Nash Yesssssssssss it is totally worth it trust me
Kai, Kaleb *Caution* ❤ Φύλακας των Κλειδιών (Fýlakas ton Kleidión) I watched them, and just let me say, the books are SOOOOOO much better!!!! The movies are good, but the books are better, the movies are missing parts that in the books are really important!!! Read the books!!!!!
Sameer Shakya Absolutely Yes! I too thought reading the books would be redundant at first. But I read the first one and found out the movie cuts so many heartfelt conversations and character moments. Definitely read it. You'll not regret it.
Annica Conradie YES! The books are so much better than the movies and even though you do know what's going to happen, there is so much that's not in the movies and in the books, that'll bring you to a new view of the characters and even the story line. The books add some finer detail to some questions that you might have.
Anagha Yes!!! There are parts in the books that get skipped in the movie. The 'magic' part of the book, only really shows in the books. the movies are good too. but READING the BOOKS is a MUST.
Matt Pfarr I think you answered this by saying you have watched the movies LOADS OF TIMES. I think if your fear were true you would only watch them once...
Matisse YES! The books are WAY BETTER. You miss Peeves, and Winky, and so many of the backstories.
Cameron YES!!!! The books describe things like magic. It, to me, feels like I'm there at Hogwarts. J. K. Rowling did the best job making these books. I read them over and over again. I personally love the Half - Blood Prince. It's my favorite one out of all of the 7 books.
Rebecca They delete some of the best scenes in the movie. YOU HAVE TO READ THE BOOKS!
Cosmo I see this question too much the short and sweet answer is...Watching the movie before the book ruins your imagination about what the characters in the book could be like and what they look like, and then seeing the authors view of what the characters look like. Whereas watching the movie first makes it so that you expect the movie descriptions of the story to match the book, but are saddened when its not the same.
Dilly Kong No. I would rate it four, but it reminded me how my cousin Jake came to me with a wand and harassed the shit out of me. He claimed he could do magic with his wand. The one he would do the most is the voodoo doll trick. He would get my teddy bear, stab it with a knife, then had his best friend impale me in the spine with a spoon. Every time he would do it, a part of my body would be paralyzed. My parents would sit there, clapping for Jake. I would try to call the police, but my parents would beat me saying, "You can't call the police on your family!" One day though, my mom and dad weren't home, and he did the trick, so I called the cops. When they arrived, Jake's girlfriend was there, so he accused me of raping her, and everyone there supported my story, even though some of they all had just witnessed him stabbing me. I went to prison for 5 years, then Jake's girlfriend turned him in. Oh yeah, by the way, Jake was 8 when he would do this trick to me. It fucking sucked, like this book does.
ali Oh yeah. The books are better than the movies. The books have more detail as in they tell you almost every single detail.
Ayaan Hossain Yes! You should read the books because really, there are things that are in the books that are not in the movies! You will find a lot of things that aren't mentioned in the movies. It will sort of give you a whole new perspective of the story.
TreyS Of course. I've seen all of the films and read all of the books many times and I enjoy them both.
Sabrina YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
The books are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ttime Absolutelly! Books are different from films, especially the details that affect understanding hidden indications.
Grayson Mckenna YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS the movies are epic.
Soph YES!! I had watched the films loads of times, but the books are so much better!!
Scarlett um... YES!!! The books are way better than the movies! No offence to Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, and Rupert Grint who were amazing, I am in love!!! CRINGE!!! But still, definitely a YES!!!
Aurora Dittus In my opinion yes you should I mean I watched the movies before the books.
Paris Yip yesss!!! because the plot of the book is actually a little bit different from the movie.
Jonna Absolutely! The movies leave out loads of tiny little details that you miss. Believe me, you will not be disappointed. :)
Trevan Totally! I also saw the movies first and thought about this. I gave it a shot and I'm so glad I did! The books have so much more detail and much more story.
Anakke V In my opinion the books are best. In the movie I wish they'd put in that trouble-making ghost Peeves.
MsManateeLover27 YESSSSSS!! The Movies Leave Out Sooooo Munch! It's Is Definitely Worth The Reading!!! You Will Probably Be Surprised Of How Munch Is Left Out.
Sander Skjegstad Yeah, if only for the neat extra content. The films miss out on some things in favor of more potent entertainment value. The book is not better, but has more info about the story and world, so if anything you'll be reading it for that.
K. T. Yes, books can give you more details than movies and books are ALMOST always better!!
Isabel Ramirez This is a amazing book
Dimanthi A. well there is a lot more detail in the book!
Janni excUSE YOU! I'm just gonna assume that you're joking, because there's not a chance, that anyone spild ever say something like this
Orley Yes it is reading it. Because the 5th movie does not have all the parts. You should start right away.
Mary Potter YESSSS They eave out a ton of stuff in the movies
H L Yes!!!!!!! Luna Lovegood never said "Episkey"
Aiza Because in books you use your imagination and you get more detail. Duh
Emily Gonzalez Of course, since it often happens that some scenes may not be in the movies or you can lose many important details and more in this type of sagas that require to be very specific so that everything still makes sense so I recoemined 1000 times read the books.
I will not say that the movies are bad, uninteresting or incomplete simply that in these types of stories the books are better.
اكرام نعم يستحق فهناك بعض الكتب تختلف عن الافلام
Sevan Yes, it is worth reading the books! It might make the movie less good because they left out a lot of stuff in the movies.
Alexander It is most defiantly better than the film, as it is with books VS movies 98% of the time.
OliveReadsWell What question is that? Derrr
Jordan TOTALLY worth it cuz the books are
way different than the movies
Ty S. this book kind of sucks if you think about it. The next books in the story are a lot better
TheBookHedgehog YES. YES. PLEASE. The books are SO MUCH better than the movies!! There's so much in them that wasn't included in the films, meaning the books are so much more interesting. Plus, books are always better....always.
WaterNymph Yo pienso que sí deberías leer los libros, porque el libro es mucho más emocionante que la película, además, encontrarás detalles de la película que solo los fieles lectores conocen porque leyeron el libro.
Si de verdad eres fanática de Harry Potter disfrutarás mucho la lectura.
Angelina Haug Yes because the movie directors and editors changes it from things that happen in the book
Mary no i dont reccomend watching the books
Julie omg yes! The movies are AMAZING but the books are soooo much better
Ria Yes you have to read the books!!! The movies miss out so much that you would know if you read the books!!!!!!! You have to.
kerrdekerr YES. The films miss out alot of stuff that happens in the book, so you DONT know whats going to happen. You could be expecting one thing but you will get an entirely different thing instead.
Ian I Agree with all of the 101 answers. Read The book.
Eve Most of the movies are pretty different from the books (ugh) so yes! And the books are soooooo much different.
Chloe You should definitely read it! One of my favourite series in the world and this one isn't the best but it introduces all the characters! The books are also VERY different to the movies. This is definitely a must-read
flex tape man no just like the percy jackson films
Autumn🥞 Zhou Yes, you should read the books! The movies are great, but books are better! J.K. Rowling made the books heavy with its magic, you know the thing about words that makes you visualize? That's what I'm talking about! I'm personally a huge HP fan, if you like the movies, the books are totally worth reading! I least its what I think.
And Peggy DEFINITELY TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY! The movies are great, but of course the books are way better. The movies only cover a fraction of what the book covers, especially with book 4. Enough said. Read the books.
SwaggaPig YEAH! of course! The books are so much better than the movies! SO MUCH BETTER!
Josh Shafer I ended up reading the whole series! Brilliant!
eating acid Absolutely! The movies did a great job but reading the books gives you the full experience. You'll see a lot more character development, funny moments, and just life at Hogwarts in general. Also, if you're someone who has trouble paying attention while reading a book, knowing the basic story line will help you understand it better.
Shreya Jayamohan You HAVE to read the books! Oh, My, Goodness!!!! The movies leave out So Many DETAILS!!!! Some even leave out a few characters!!! With J. K. Rowling's amazing writing, you will experience so much more than you could ever imagine possible from the movies. So, YES!!!!!
Anarmstrong yesssss!!! the books are 100 x's better. and the movies leave out so many great parts!
Rayne The movies were rubbish. You should definitely read the books. I loved this entire series. A+. I have read this series 11 times, and I am reading it to my sister now. She loves it.
Harry It is a good idea to read them as there is more information and it get's you (or young ones) into the habit of reading!
Alex Christman I hated the movies, but the books I was so addicted to! I would go up to a quiet room and read these books for hours on end! I just wish there were more of them.
Bree (Asterìa) Bonaccorsa The books are WWWAAAYYY better than the movies, and explain everything so much better
Robin Black Indeed, yes. The books are enjoyable to read. I read the books first, before watching the movies.
Harper the book have so much more character iT has so much more details i think the books are better for me but thats just me
Saanvi No. I don't believe that it's much different unless you need to for a school assignment.
Esha Bakht Well, if you want to improve your English, its worth it.
Mica Yes. The books have so much more! If you liked the movies, you will love the books.
Ralph Yes, it is always best to read the books. Even for radio programs the best pictures are in "the theater of your mind!"
Ali Yes, you should still read the books, but is would've been better if you read the books, then watched the movies.
Coco Jane Oh goodness, yes! Everyone knows that the books are always better than the movies. Plus, the director/producer/script writer left out a ton of scenes from the actual books.
Sulakshya_dhungana yah! I also think that reading book ISmuch more interseting.
Miriam Guzzardi ABSOLUTLEY
YES
YES
Cassie H Sometimes different things happen and it is good so I think you should read it! :)
Sairica I first read the first book after I saw the first movie. You will find JK Rowling a much better story teller than Steve Kloves and Micheal Goldenberg.

Infact, her presentation of the story and character sketch could not have been achieved by the movie writers who have sifted through the book to give what I would call a mediocre 2-3 hour compilation compared to the Rowling's original work.

Her books are truly magical.
veronika Yes! It's worth it for sure! The movies leave out some of the most important stuff! You should definitely read the books!
Holly Manning Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!
maddie ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?!?!!? OOOFFFFF COURSEEE!!!!!!
EllaTheReader Yes! Because some events in the books aren't in the movie
Sarah You should read them becouse you don't know what you're missing. I first read them as I was in primary school. Now, I'm 19 and sometimes I feel I know them by heart! Definitely my all time fav!!

I love movies, of course, but you just can not compare them with books! They are million times better! ;)
Caitlin Absolutly because the books contain certain parts and/or characters that are not in the movies. Specifically the last book in the series.
Katanya Bridgeway Yes!! Don't judge a book by its movie! XD
Colette Definitely! The movies are good, but leave out a ton of details, and there is a magic that isn't in the movies. The movies are also a lot darker than the books, and are not as specific about what actually happened. I would totally recommend the books. Honestly, if everyone read them, it would change the world.
Sasha Dovzak Oh my goodness of course! If you liked the films the books will be even better! The originals are always better than the remakes. You're going to be reading them and saying, wait, this didn't happen in the movie? That's because the movie left a lot of the good stuff out! Definitely read the books.
Katrina I know your question was posted a year ago so probably (hopefully) you have already read them or at least started to, but I will say YES! The movies are good, really good, and the first two are practically perfect replicas of the books but starting with the third one you start missing out on a lot of information that is really important to the story if you don't read the books.
HFLSer Lucy Movies are just for virtual effect. There are more details in HP books. Every time I read HP, I always find out something new: ) So, of course it's worth to try the books!!!!! Love Harry Potter hahahahaha~
John Bell Yes! The books are soooooooooo good! The movies are great too, the created a picture for me, it they leave out so many amazing parts!
Elsa Please read the books! You seriously have to! So many different things happen in the book and it's a totally different experience. In my opinion, it's better to read the books first.
Phi W. It is so worth it! The books are so much more detailed than the movies, and you really get to know the characters. I would definitely recommend reading the books!
Natasha ⚡️ Seriously the films are only a margin of how great the Harry Potter series is. The books gave more information and to be honest the very end film is nothing like what happens in the book. I would definitely recommend reading these amazing books, you will not be disappointed with them.
Graham Mellon It is definitely worth it because books are always better than their film counterparts. They have to fit everything on a screen, and sometimes they leave out little details that make the series feel complete. You'll probably discover things you never even knew about Harry Potter from the books!
Mohammed like me , i watched movies many times , but i am sure that i will enjoy reading the serious
Sierra Welch Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
and a thousand times more
YESSSSSS!
If you watched the movies so what, they are NOTHING compared to the books. You get to imagine everything and sometimes you can imagine the scene in your head better than an actor can portray it ^.^
Lakshana The Harry Potter books are SUPER!!! This books starts with a wonderful begging. I am a great Harry Potter fan, These are worth to read: You have to read it!
The books are MUCH better then the movies because the movies leave lots of the main stuff out. It's worth a read!!!!!!!!!
Youness You should definitely read the books !! I envy you so much, you get to read all 7 books ! The movies are awesome, but the books are magical ^^
Catnip Everdeen The movie left out a lot, so yes.
Delaney It is totally worth it, especially this illustrated version! The pictures are absolutely gorgeous.
Erin YEEESSSS!!!!! there are many parts in the books that weren't in the movies and the books are FABULOUS! i saw the movies before i read the books and it didn't change my reading experience by seeing the movies first. harry potter is the best book series of all time in my opinion and you should definitely read the books.
:)
Sokooky Yes! Yes! Yes! The movies are great, but the books are AMAZING!
Jennah Neale ABSOLUTLEY!!! Sorcerers Stone was the most accurate movie but they still missed lots of things. And its just an amazing book!
Hannah Tesh YESSS the movies are very different and A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER
Nelou Keramati Absolutely! I did not know about the books until the buzz surrounding the movie enlightened me towards the masterpiece. The books are even more imaginative and evocative than the audio-visual movies... J.K. Rowling is unmatched in her ability to conjure worlds within the reader's mind!
Emma I know you said this a year ago, but I just wanted to tell you that you really should read the books. They're amazing and I hope that you actually did start reading them.
Muhi The first I heard about HP was from a friend of mine. He had seen the movie that time. And he told me the story from his imagination. After 8 years (or more may be), when I read the book, i found a little from that friend's story. The thing i remember him saying correct was about Voldemort's killing teacher (although the motivation wasn't correct !) and black clouded skeleton mask !
Anyway... my point is.. the movie left many interest part of HP; specifically the qudditch match. The suspense in the book is quite extra ordinary. Compare to the book, the movie is quite boring. Personally I hate the movie. The actors (kids) were all amateurs and therefore couldn't portray the characters the way they are in the book and changing scene from the novel is quite annoying.
It's been a year since you asked this question. You may already have read the books by now. If so... you have figured it out then. If not... at least try the fifth part from the book and then compare it with the movie. You will see what kinds of jokes they play in the movie !
Hannah S YES! When i was 9 or 10 i hated harry potter, but now that I've tried reading the books, they are amazing!
Aidan Dever the books are better and worth the time
Emily YES! Totally.. The movies leave out a lot of key parts the book has. I think you should definitly read this one and the whole rest of the series. Hope I helped ;)
Jakob Sandevill I highly, highly, highly recommend you to read these books.
First two movies are great adaptations of the books, third one and fourth one are very good, but fifth and sixth omitted a lot of important details.
Reading first three books will be pleasant for you, but you will not find a lot of "new" things, but since Goblet of Fire you will get a lot of new, fun facts, scenes and characters.
From all movies Chamber of Secrets is the best adaptation and also my favorite movie, it takes book and with minor changes translates it into the movie, this is one of movies I consider to be perfect adaptation.
It is also a brilliant movie too :D
If you don't yet own the books, get a box set you like and read it.
You can also get the illustrated edition, though I consider it to be more of "Fan thing", and you will wait around 7 years for The Deathly Hallows.

Have fun reading these books :D
Elifsu Yes . A definite yes . The books are magic and they are by far the best series I have ever read .Also the movies do leave out a majority of the plot .
Olivia Mette yes and my names olivia too
Indiana Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Read It! Read It!
Riya Towner D yesssss!!! the books are 100 x's better. and the movies leave out so many great parts!
Image for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone