Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > What Was Your First PNR?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 226 (226 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog (lisaarbitrary) | 121 comments I guess for me it was Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #15) by Sherrilyn Kenyon , Sherrilyn Kenyon. I know, I know I started in the middle of the series but that didn't seem to be a problem as I just got totally blown away and ate up all of the series.

The reason I 'guess' that's where I started PNR is because in a way my interest started with YA Fantasy books and there were several that could be considered crossovers, maybe. Like Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3) by Tamora Pierce , Tamora Pierce and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman , Philip Pullman. I just love the PNR genre and am so glad there are wonderful authors supplying my need and readers who demand more. So where did you start???

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments As a teenager I love Christopher Pike so I guess those were probably the first books I read that involved a paranormal element, Return to Me and Witch were the ones I remember most.

As an adult it was actually The Outlander series (historical fiction with a twist of time travel) and then the Twilight series, which in turn got me hooked on PNR.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I think what got me hooked on PNR and UF in general was when a friend introduced me to the genre by giving me her copy of Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton .

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) | 116 comments For me it was Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice . I loved then I went to Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer then to Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton which I guess all them equally had me hooked even though they are each very different from each other.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments OMG, I don't remember.

It could have been one of these.

Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton .

I'm not sure.

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassmarie) | 19 comments Remember Me (Remember Me, #1) by Christopher Pike when I was much younger.. it had a sort of paranormal side to it.. but then my friends conned me into seeing New Moon in theaters which lead to me finally read Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer and right from there I went to the entire Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton series.

message 7: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (tina007) | 43 comments Twlight Saga then the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog (lisaarbitrary) | 121 comments The trending here is interesting. Thanks everyone, for sharing. ;)

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (viciouslittlething) I got into LKH Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton through the BTVS books Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Richie Tankersley Cusick and from their it progressed.

message 10: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 58 comments My first PNR book was: Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris
I read it in 2008.

Since that book many PNR's have followed!

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Ok, clearly I'm in a group of babies. :oP The first book I read with any paranormal (i.e. magic, psychic, ghosts, goblins etc.) elements in it AND a romance angle was Witch World by Andre Norton. And I read that some time between 1968 and 1971. Then I read Dragonflight in that same time period. Then I went onward and upward from there. Altho in THOSE days, it was called sci-fi, since that was before they broke sci-fi into 2 divisions, Sci-fi and Fantasy. Then, over the years the classes have been broken down more and more and more.

Oh, and for those who LOVE Anne McCaffrey, I have the 2 Analog magazines SIGNED by Anne that Dragonflight first appeared in, before it was made into a book. I was lucky enough to get to one of the last Dragoncons that Anne visited before her health just got too bad for her to risk it, and got several books signed and found the magazines at a dealers table and bought them and got THEM signed too.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog (lisaarbitrary) | 121 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, clearly I'm in a group of babies. :oP The first book I read with any paranormal (i.e. magic, psychic, ghosts, goblins etc.) elements in it AND a romance angle was Witch World by..."

Very cool! :D

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Twilight for me too. I didn't want to read it but a friend of my kept insisting. The Sookie books were next, then I found Nicole Peeler, Chloe Neil and my favorite so far Patqricia Briggs.

message 14: by Sandra J (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:32PM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, clearly I'm in a group of babies. :oP The first book I read with any paranormal (i.e. magic, psychic, ghosts, goblins etc.) elements in it AND a romance angle was Witch World by..."

Oooooh, I'm jealous! Signed McCaffreys! I remember reading McCaffrey when I was a freshman in college along with Andre Norton-around the same time you did, Anna. Back in the day, there really wasn't any PNR to speak of.

message 15: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Twilight was my first and i have been addicted ever since.

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (soireb) | 61 comments I am almost (but not entirely) certain that it was:

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

message 17: by juuree (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:18AM) (new)

juuree It was most likely Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer but I can't be for sure. This was in high school for me - when the world did not know of the existence of Twilight.

message 18: by TJ (new)

TJ (soxchic) | 55 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer is what got me started

message 19: by C.C. (last edited Mar 02, 2012 04:28AM) (new)

C.C. | 219 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer piqued my interest about vamps/pnrs... I have to admit when I finished it, I thought that it was the most beautiful vampire book there is (what?! give me a break I was young :P) Then, I read Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Series, and it kind of continued from there, I got to read way better books which I actually love. Dont get me wrong Im still thankful for Twilight, without it I may not have even started reading.

message 20: by Gina (new)

Gina (booklight) I second Christopher Pike. As a pre-teen/teen I couldn't get enough of those. As an adult and someone who had been away from reading romance for years, it was J. R. Ward's Dark Lover. I picked it up randomly at an airport bookstore during a long layover. I've been hooked on PNR ever since.

message 21: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 13 comments Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris and that was because I saw True Blood, I really liked it

message 22: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments @Crystal - I Feel the same way!!

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim | 163 comments Unfortunatley the first PNR series was Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer
Then I read from Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton to Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #17) by Laurell K. Hamilton and I have been addicted ever since.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 228 comments Hmmm even though the early Anita Blake books are considered horror I'd have to say that one would be it.

The first time I actaully knew I was reading PNR would have to be Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead .

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Farley (traceyfarley) | 16 comments The Twilight Series and then Karen Marie Moning, on the Lauren K. Hamilton, etc.

message 26: by Lisa M (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:14PM) (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments My very first PNR, and my very first romance, was Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon , way back when it first came out in 1991. I went on to read historical romances back then. More recently I got back into reading PNR with a little book I found in the grocery store, Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1) by Cara Lockwood . Then I got into PNR in a big way with the Dark-Hunter series and never looked back.

message 27: by Lanie (new)

Lanie Malone | 39 comments Wow, I see a lot of people followed a path similar to my own. I started with Twilight (after my neighbor practically forced it on me) and from there went to Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K., Charlaine Harris and so on.

The more I read, the more I want to read.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog (lisaarbitrary) | 121 comments Lanie wrote: "Wow, I see a lot of people followed a path similar to my own. I started with Twilight (after my neighbor practically forced it on me) and from there went to Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K., Charlaine ..."

So true Lanie, I've never had another genre grab me like PNR.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

My first was the Twilight series.

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, clearly I'm in a group of babies. :oP The first book I read with any paranormal (i.e. magic, psychic, ghosts, goblins etc.) elements in it AND a romance angle was Witch World by..."

Ann, I think we're in the same boat. I read the Anne McCaffery back in the eighties. Then they were classed as Fantasy. I think they are considered High Fantasy now.
My first PNR per say were Johanna Lindsay's
Warrior's Woman (Ly-San-Ter Family, #1) by Johanna Lindsey Keeper of the Heart (Ly-San-Ter Family, #2) by Johanna Lindsey Heart of a Warrior (Ly-San-Ter Family, #3) by Johanna Lindsey

But the ones that got me really hooked these two books.
Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning and Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
I discovered them and honsetly have never looked back.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog (lisaarbitrary) | 121 comments Jenny wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, clearly I'm in a group of babies. :oP The first book I read with any paranormal (i.e. magic, psychic, ghosts, goblins etc.) elements in it AND a romance angle was [book..."

High fantasy??? That's a new term for me. I'll have to look into it. :)

message 32: by Cassie (last edited Mar 06, 2012 02:42AM) (new)

Cassie (inlibrislibertas) | 16 comments I believe it was Dark Fire (Dark, #6) by Christine Feehan ,Christine Feehan.After I took a chance on that one I had to have the rest of the series and after that Paranormal Romance became my genre of choice when I was 17 or 18 till now.

When I was younger I read alot of L.J. Smiths books'(Vampire Diaries The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) by L.J. Smith ,Night World series) as well as Christopher Pike( The Last Vampire The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire, #1) by Christopher Pike ) and Zoe Daniels (The Dream Year of the Cat The Dream (Year of the Cat, No 1) by Zoe Daniels ).I think those three authors turned me onto PNR then.

message 33: by Sammi (new)

Sammi  (sammibookworm) | 3 comments Twilight was my first and I have been hooked ever since, but i also love the Vampire diaries series.

message 34: by Anika (last edited Mar 06, 2012 01:37PM) (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 318 comments Got me started Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer then i remember these following I think Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs and Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)  by Laurell K. Hamilton

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Joseph wrote: "I think what got me hooked on PNR and UF in general was when a friend introduced me to the genre by giving me her copy of Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton."

Same here. My first intro to UF as an adult. I grew up reading fantasy as a kid.

message 36: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Hussey (cdhussey) | 26 comments For me, the first true PNR I read was: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin-b) I read a lot of YA fantasy starting in junior high, Robin McKinley and Tamora Pierce being my favorites. Then I started reading a lot of Arthurian stuff, The Mists of Avalon being my favorite. I think that would still be considered fantasy, but it was great. After that, a friend gave me a copy of A Kiss of Shadows and I've been enjoying PNR ever since.

message 38: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 231 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer was my first, unless you count all the Buffy, The Vampire Slayer books I read as a teenager. After Twilight, I read mostly urban fantasy. Sookie Stackhouse, Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. My first adult pnr was Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh .

message 39: by Jellisa (new)

Jellisa Thomas | 1 comments My first pnr was Vampire Academy than it was the House of Night ,morganville vampire series .After I turn 18 I start reading the Night Hutress , Kate Daniles series , Alex Craft series and An Elemental Assassin series.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ndayeni) | 51 comments Reading this thread makes me feel rather old...

I honestly don't remember what the first PNR (or what could be considered such) book I read is it's been so long ago now. I've been reading paranormal books, esp. vampires, since the late '70s when non-horror type vamps were hard to come by. So, at a guess, I'd say my first, or close to the first anyway, that could maybe be considered PNR was probably The Palace (Saint-Germain series, #2) by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro . Though if you really want to stretch things, I suppose you could even consider Dracula by Bram Stoker to be the first one I read (no idea which edition of it I read first).

message 41: by Deana (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments Well, for YA PNR there was (for me, the old bat):
The Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time are what stick out the most.

However, I was always big into mythology - at one point, I was more familiar with the Greek, Roman and Egyptian Pantheons than I was with The Church.

The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7) by C.S. Lewis A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

message 42: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 861 comments for me it was Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice and then How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks . But had read the younger magic riddled books that weren't classified as paranormal when I read them years ago A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle :)

message 43: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (clairevioletthorpe) | 127 comments For me, it was Twilight. I never read a paranormal romance before, as I usually read fantasy.

The Prophet Lemonade and her Bambi (KarlaWasHere) | 5 comments Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan was my first back in middle school....

message 45: by Rhiannon (last edited Mar 07, 2012 11:57PM) (new)

Rhiannon (mcrhi) | 7 comments Dime Store MagicDime store magig was my first PNR, if you class it as PNR. I'd say Urban fantasy, but the two genres are really close. Before that was Harry potter. Suppose you could class elements as PNR LOL Harry Potter Boxset

message 46: by Jules (new)

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan (rnolanauthor) I would have to say the twilight series though i was reading paranomal fiction before that

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 195 comments PnRomance would have been Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer then Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

My first uf would been The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Anne Rice followed by Harry Potter Boxed Set (Harry Potter, #1-6) by J.K. Rowling then Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 49: by Jamie (last edited Mar 08, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Jamie (epic_lover) | 13 comments Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer was my first paranormal romance series. I watched the movies first during a preview of Showtime on local television then saw New Moon the next night. Eclipse had just came out in theaters so I watched it on DVD then just had to read Breaking Dawn so discover the ending and it was pretty much home sweet home from there.
I also was watching a new vampire show on CW called the Vampire Diaries so that ultimately lead to to reading The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. Smith series but the series IMO is as conflicted as the show at times so I went on to the House of Night and just keep going.

message 50: by Milamila (new)

Milamila | 19 comments Although I don't like the series it was Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer for me. The only great thing about the series was that it got me started reading some other books besides Harry Potter :P. After that it was the Demonica series...

« previous 1 3 4 5