Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2)
This topic is about Visions of Heat
Archived: Series Reads > Series Read: Psy-Changeling, #2: Visions of Heat ("Buddy Reads" DQs) Start Date: Start Date: Feb. 6, 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited May 22, 2012 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The winner of our first group Series Read is:

Psy-Changeling series, by Nalini Singh. We will start with:

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

However, listed in chronological order according to author's website, except for two free short stories missing) are the following - with two short stories listed first.

An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie ShayneBurning Up (Includes Iron Seas, #0.5; Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling #8.5) by Angela Knight

Here is the rest of the series:

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini SinghVisions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini SinghCaressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini SinghThe Magical Christmas Cat (Includes Breeds, #17; Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #2) by Lora LeighMine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4) by Nalini SinghHostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) by Nalini SinghBranded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini SinghBlaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini SinghBonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini SinghPlay of Passion (Psy-Changeling, #9) by Nalini SinghKiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10) by Nalini Singh

We will be reading one book every other month from this series.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

Do you all want to start on December 1, 2011?
How many chapters a day do you want to read?

Chapters	Page #s		Total
Prologue 001 & 002 02
Chapter 1

Date		Chapters			PPDQs*
Feb. 6 Prologue - Chp.6 Lisa Kay

Participants
Anomander
Susan
Sandra J.
Pamela
Lisa Kay
CaroB.

Lurkers
Heather
✿Michelle✿

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2012 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments SLAVE TO SENSATION
Lisa Kay’s Question for Prologue to Chapter 6

1. What is your first impression of Sascha? Did it change? Most romance authors try to match up opposite to create some heat, but Ms. Singh seems to have gone the extra mile here, yet add a twist in that Sascha has a yearning or compulsion to “let go” and get in touch with Lucas’ more sensual nature.

2. Does Sascha’s dilemma and self-doubt endear her to you? Or are you neutral? Or turned off.

3. What about Lucas? Is he rocking your world? What about his violent history? On a scale of 1-10, how dangerous is he?

4. Am I the only one who is suspicious that there is more to Sascha’s paternity? I’m wondering if her mother, Nikita, really went to a sperm bank and “chose her father with great care to the mixing of our genes”??? There is something there, isn’t there?

5. How cold IS Nikita? Do you believe her rumored history that Vaughn revealed? Would she institutionalize her daughter?

6. Is Sascha really as deficient as she thinks? I’m seeing the cliché “underestimated heroine who blossoms,” but I don’t mind. Do you? But this only leads me to another question. Was her mother trying to get something unique in her daughter? Or was it possibly just a “slip” in her own lustful history?

7. Speaking of 1-10, how hot was that sex dream at the end of Chapter 5? Did you like the subtle humor emanating from Lucas? Or don’t you like laughter in your Romancelandia bed?

8. Eek! Councilman Enrique! I didn’t like his whole conversation with Sascha. Icky. Is he the Big Fuc#er in this book? Or only a little one? I mean, he HAD to have known Sascha would report to her mother, right? Or was that a test of some sort? Was he trying to mess with her mind and it didn’t work?

9. Are we going to have resolution of this serial killer in this book, or is it going to continue on into the series. Hmmm. Maybe just the repercussions, I hope. I don’t like cliffhangers and that’s pretty risky to do in the first in the series.

10. What about NS’s world building? Enough info? Too much? Just right? Are you understanding the whole PsyNet?

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Reserved.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 12, 2011 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments I'm in. Will leave the chapter and date for others to decide.

message 7: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'll have to see if I can find this.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments I'm in. I have the first couple of books and have been meaning to start this series forever.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments So excited that this is the series that got picked! I recently read the 1st in this series, so I'll be jumping in when we start #2 in February. =)

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments So, I should put you down as a lurker, Heather?

message 11: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I found it! I'm in :)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Guess I'll read the first one anyway☺

message 13: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments If we do 4 chapters a day, it will take about a week to read this and will be between 50-60 pages a day. That would be fine with me. But I'd go with whatever ya'll want to do :)

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I do like questions from a varity of people, because we are so clever at seeing things differently, especially from what I didn't think to ask. I don't want people to feel they have to take their turn at posting discussion questions, as long as they enter the discussion. Plus, anything someone comes up with is great! Sometimes simple, quick questions cut to the heart of the matter the best.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I'll be a lurker at the beginning, Lisa Kay, though I might want to discuss the 2 short stories you found that proceed it.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Heather, I'm thinking about reading those two short stories b/f the start date of this one. I would be happy to discuss them with you. I have to figure out which one I have and which one I need to order. I might not be able to get to that until tomorrow...

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments No problem, I think I need to get both of them myself still. I'll look them up now.

message 18: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments A snowflake on the cover! Is An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie Shayne a Christmas book? I ♥ Christmas!

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Not sure, RLFTCI Online Elf. I'll let you know though. =)

message 20: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I'm in for a re-read!

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2011 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments CaroB gave it 5 stars! Whoa! I'm impressed. And she wants to do a re-read! Yah! ☺

message 22: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments It was my first Urban Fantasy read, Lisa Kay and I was wary about it before I started it, so was extra pleasantly surprised :-). *sigh* You always remember your first... :-p

For those of you who are sitting on the fence about reading the prequel novellas, I would definitely recommend the Tamsyn and Nate novella in An Enchanted Season, because they're two core characters in this series, and I think you'll appreciate knowing their backstory as the series progresses. Emmett and Rina's story in Burning Up is neither fantastic nor essential, IMO.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments CaroB wrote: "*sigh* You always remember your first... :-p ..."

LMAO! True!

Thanks for the "heads up" about the shorts.

message 24: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments You always remember your first... :-p
hehehe

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I've read the first three books in this series, and have loved every one of them so far!

message 26: by Heather (last edited Nov 15, 2011 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments CaroB wrote: "For those of you who are sitting on the fence about reading the prequel novellas, I would definitely recommend the Tamsyn and Nate novella in An Enchanted Season, because they're two core characters in this series, and I think you'll appreciate knowing their backstory as the series progresses."

Just finished Tamsyn and Nate's story last night. I've already read the 1st in the series, but I thought I would catch up with the novellas.

I thought their story was an absolutely beautiful short story. I might have been sleep deprived, but I cried a little while reading it. Loved Tamsyn and felt her pain throughout. Nate was frustrating and I wanted to kick him, but with love. =)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments RLFTCI Online Elf wrote: "A snowflake on the cover! Is An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie Shayne a Christmas book? I ♥ Christmas!"

It was a Christmas story. Great to read this time of the year!

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Heather's right, RLFTCI Online Elf, An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie Shayne is a Christmas story. I was surprised at the twists this one took from the beginning... and again, later. Not what I was expecting. Great read. ❄

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Just finished "Whisper of Sin" from Burning Up, CaroB. You were right. It was okay, but nothing like Tamsyn and Nate's story.
I did love Emmett though (I swoon all over the name anyways, lol).

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2011 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Heather said, "I did love Emmett though (I swoon all over the name anyways, lol)."

HAHAHAHA I totally get that and he's my favorite too :D

message 31: by Heather (last edited Nov 16, 2011 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I so tried to convince my husband to let me call the chocolate lab we recently adopted Emmett. He was like "heck, no!" lol
I just love the name, as Jasper's my favorite (since I'm married to my Edward. No really, his name is Edward.)

message 32: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments LOL! It took me a while, but I finally got the Twi-reference.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Sorry Twi on the brain this week, CaroB! ;-)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'll be a lurker.....

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments Wow! I thought I saw Michelle here...hmmm..nah!

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL!

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LOL!!

message 38: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments LOL x 3

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I posted the chapter breakdown; let me know what you think. Can we knock this out in 6 days?

message 40: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments YIPPEE! I'm excited to start this today!

Steamywindows♥♫ (steamywindows) | 10 comments Can I join in for the first book and see -haven't read this but enjoyed angel's blood....Steamy

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts on this. Loved it myself, as well as the 2 prequels.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Can I join in for the first book and see -haven't read this but enjoyed angel's blood....Steamy"

Sure, Steamy! Welcome.

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Wow! I've only read the prologue and the first chapter, but I really like this book. It is so well written!

Has anyone else started?

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I haven't yet :( I was hoping that the book An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie Shayne I ordered to read first would get here but it hasn't. Plus I haven't finished Serpent's Kiss yet. But I will start by this evening for sure.

message 46: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I barely read anything yesterday. I'm hoping to start on it today, if not definitely this weekend.

message 47: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I read Tamsyn and Nate's story in the anthology in the middle of the night last night when I couldn't sleep cause of my shoulder. LOVED IT! I was so attached to them and my heart hurt for her.

Then I started the story, read the prologue and went to sleep. Just finished chapter 4. I'm enjoying it :) I have to go make some chicken and sausage jambalaya for a friend for dinner and then I'll be reading some more.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) still haven't gotten An Enchanted Season (Includes Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) by Maggie Shayne but I started Slave to Sensation this morning. Finishing chapter 3 now.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Guess what I did, Pamela. I was very, very bad - and this isn't the time of year to be bad! (I hope RLftCI Online Elf isn't reading this.) I was loving the paperback so much I bought the audio of Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh b/c I know I'll listen to it next year... loving the "words" so much I knew it would sound good. And it does. Yes, I'm weak and already took a listen. **sigh**

« previous 1 3 4